• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Game Dev update (GDC 2022)

Tripolygon

Banned
Just in case people were wondering

FSR 2.0 confirmed support on Xbox Series consoles.
Additionally, for developers, we're happy to announce at GDC today that FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 will also be fully supported on Xbox and will be available in the Xbox GDK for registered developers to use in their games. Though for gamers, we do not have a timeline today of when you can expect to see any Xbox games with FSR 2.0.
It is pretty good. I hope all games adopt it or something like it. This would get us closer to the 4K 60fps dream.
nMoXj2N.jpg

No, it does not mean PS5 does not support it just like how they did not announce PS5 support for FSR 1 but it still supports it.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Social conversation, I think it needs to be stressed that a lot of it comes more from what that release does for GamePass, at least initially, and it really doesn't transition into more of the game itself aside from the service as a factor until it's actually available to play. And however long that phase holds for social conversation comes down to quality and size. A potential point of curiosity is if that progression of conversational discourse is an overall benefit or detriment to discussion within the hobby.
This means gamepass game announcements on social media.
Every Bi-tuesday gamepass drops sets of games on their social media and website.
The news website picks up the games, and make a news segment for them. Then you get other people sharing those games to their friends.

This is an effective ads, since you aren't paying money yo advertise it. People will advertise it for you.

Riky

$MSFT
People are probably spending more money because they are trying more games and purchase something they liked on Gamepass that they normally would never have purchased.
Also since the barrier of entry is lower they probably are less reluctant to spend on add ons and DLC, makes a lot of sense really.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
The only one I had a question about was GP users spending 50% more than "similar users." How is that defined? It can mean anything. I have spent zero dollars on Xbox since getting GPU. I've spent like 180 or so on PS5 in the past two months (Sifu, HFW Deluxe, Elden Ring). I would have happily spent money on Xbox if that was required to play the games but it's just not so ... again, 50% more spent? Who are these people and why? More information is needed, and they could be defining their control group any way they want. So again ... kind of a meaningless stat.
You just explained it yourself.
You managed to spend $180 on ps5, because gamepass had you covered.

Now take the ps5, and use this on a person who has xbox only. This person will either buy the game, or save the money to buy other games.

You also have games that have dlcs, mtx. People are spending money on those, since the game is covered by gamepass, and they have influx of cash to spend on what they want.

Hope this helps you understand it.

Dr Bass

You just explained it yourself.
You managed to spend $180 on ps5, because gamepass had you covered.

Now take the ps5, and use this on a person who has xbox only. This person will either buy the game, or save the money to buy other games.

You also have games that have dlcs, mtx. People are spending money on those, since the game is covered by gamepass, and they have influx of cash to spend on what they want.

Hope this helps you understand it.
This makes absolutely zero sense dude. WTF are you even talking about?

kingfey

Banned
This makes absolutely zero sense dude. WTF are you even talking about?
You want to buy a game. You have gamepass. You see the game that you want on gamepass. Now the money that you had for that game, would go to another game.

Alot of gamepass games have dlc and mtx. Since you paid for gamepass, you don't need to pay for the game. You will have enough money to buy the dlc, or spend some money on mtx.

Gamepass is meeting their needs. And since their needs is fulfilled, they have extra money, on which they can spend on other stuff.

You yourself wouldn't be able to afford to buy games on both consoles, if you didnt have gamepass, which covers Xbox games for you (unless you are rich). So you will have enough money to spend on PS5 games.
If there was no gamepass, you wouldn't have spent that much money on ps5, since you will need to spend money on xbox games too.

Riky

$MSFT
It is always fascinating to separate reality from fantasy when it comes to Game pass metrics and the commentary some make. It clearly is making a positive impact to the games industry and the best part about it is that it is totally optional. Nothing wrong with providing gamers value and choice.
Yes lowering the barrier of entry is paying dividends, both with Gamepass and the Series S console.
People seem more willing to invest in content once they are in, will become even bigger if this economic squeeze continues.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
b65cf3641d64eb29f1e212291ce3b9b5--movie-quotes-punch.jpg

I have bought four Xboxes (two X/two S) for myself and family. GP is definitely the factor.

giphy.gif

Oh it’s already here.

Can't be a game pass thread without arm chair analysts worried about its sustainability ;)

Meanwhile, it's good for small developers, as well as encouraging for people to actually spend more.

FOi-47aVUAIwXo4

FOi-48oVUAEkN0T

Thirty7ven

Banned
Can't be a game pass thread without arm chair analysts worried about its sustainability ;)

Meanwhile, it's good for small developers, as well as encouraging for people to actually spend more.

FOi-47aVUAIwXo4

FOi-48oVUAEkN0T

Actually the slide doesn't say GP makes people increase their spending, it just says people with GP spend more money. You understand the difference right? Meanwhile they have no problem saying after GP players will try 40% more games, which quite honestly isn't anything to write home about. Get it? They don't say subscribers start spending 50% more on games, you're reading it wrong, but I'm sure misreading that will become common place. It makes perfect sense that the more invested on the platform will also have GP.

On the indie side they come back to growth, because there's growth there.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Oh it’s already here.

You were more right than you think :D

GP subscribers spending 45~50% more on games, add-ons and consumables compared to non GP subscribers is being read wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Members play 40% more games and 30% different genres of games thus increasing their scope/scale to different kinds of games, but that ain't nothing to write home about :messenger_savoring:

8x lift on back catalog games, 3.5x lift on new games and 15x lift on indie games but i guess that also ain't nothing to write home about 🤫

How does this service sustain itself 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
You were more right than you think :D

GP subscribers spending 45~50% more on games, add-ons and consumables compared to non GP subscribers is being read wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Members play 40% more games and 30% different genres of games thus increasing their scope/scale to different kinds of games, but that ain't nothing to write home about :messenger_savoring:

8x lift on back catalog games, 3.5x lift on new games and 15x lift on indie games but i guess that also ain't nothing to write home about 🤫

How does this service sustain itself 🤷‍♂️

40% more games isn't anything to write home about no. If I played 10 games a year before gamepass, and with gamepass increased to 14 games a year, this looks impressive to you?

And yes you absolutely are reading it wrong, they aren't saying gamers start spending 50% more on average after subscribing to gamepass. How are you missing this? This isn't growth. They drop "growth" for "compared to look alikes", what's a look alike? Oh right, why aren't we talking about growth in spending though?

What's Xbox install base? Active? Now you put 25 million subscribers, which is probably half the userbase and there you go, of course these people by default spend more.

It's funny that you think MS isn't talking about growth in spending because they forgot to mention it when they mention it for other stuff.

edit: Bernd Lauert honestly, if you dont get this, not console warring at all, but if you don't get this... it explains a lot.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
40% more games isn't anything to write home about no. If I played 10 games a year before gamepass, and with gamepass increased to 14 games a year, this looks impressive to you?
Yes. Because you played 4 more games, than your usual 10 games.

And yes you absolutely are reading it wrong, they aren't saying gamers start spending 50% more on average after subscribing to gamepass. How are you missing this? This isn't growth. They drop "growth" for "compared to look alikes", what's a look alike? Oh right, why aren't we talking about growth in spending though?
So where does the money these users have go then?

If I am getting the games on gamepass, where do you think my money goes to?

What's Xbox install base? Active? Now you put 25 million subscribers, which is probably half the userbase and there you go, of course these people by default spend more.
Nice way to jump to install base.
FYI: Gamepass is on both pc and Xbox. That would mean only 15m xbox users use gamepass, compared to the rest.

It's funny that you think MS isn't talking about growth in spending because they forgot to mention it when they mention it for other stuff.
How do you think growth works?

RevGaming

The 50% more spent is not clear.

It could mean Gamepass users are mostly hardcore that spend normally, 50% more than casuals/nonGPusers.

What it should say: A player that subs, now spends 50% more than what he/she used to before Gamepass.

Microsoft always manipulates what they say so they can look good.

The rest of the stats are obvious and expected.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
The 50% more spent is not clear.

It could mean Gamepass users are mostly hardcore that spend normally, 50% more than casuals/nonGPusers.

What it should say: A player that subs, now spends 50% more than what he/she used to before Gamepass.

Microsoft always manipulates what they say so they can look good.

The rest of the stats are obvious and expected.
Honestly, I admire how you guys play around with these data. It's like MS is an evil company, which is trying to trick you.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I'd still much rather MS just tell us how much more/less users spend after joining GamePass.

I think that's the number they are holding to their vest.

Not saying it's a bad number; it may just be a secret they don't want competitors really knowing.. but if you can tell us "after joining GP gamers game 40% more" you cant ell us "after joining GP gamers spend XXX".

Instead we get looka-alike users.

TELL USSS MSSS

Last edited:

RevGaming

Honestly, I admire how you guys play around with these data. It's like MS is an evil company, which is trying to trick you.
I'm not playing around. They are.

Where's the Halo Infinite sold 50% more than Halo 5? What about Forza Horizon 5? Did gears 5 sold better than 4?

It's not adding up.

Just like they say Halo has 20m users but neglect the sales. Why, if it's 50%?

adamsapple

Where's the Halo Infinite sold 50% more than Halo 5? What about Forza Horizon 5? Did gears 5 sold better than 4?

It's not adding up.

The talk, and info, is specific to Game Pass.

Why are you expecting them to bust out sales for games in the last 4, 5 years ?

Literally anything they say, some users will find ways to twist it around as a negative lol.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Microsoft: "People who subscribe to game pass on average spend 50% more on games, add-ons and consumables"

The average Gaffer "Look at this manipulative evil bastards twisting numbers to their whim"

Yes it's not your reading comprehension that is questionable, no sir. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Some pertinent game pass info from the breakdown (copied from Reset era)

• Members play 40% more titles after joining.
  • Members play games across 30% more genres after joining.
  • Average 8.3x player lift after a back catalog game joins Gamepass.
  • For new games from large publishers 3.5x player lift compared similar games not on Gamepass.
  • Similarly 15x player lift new indie games.
  • 3.5x lift for games launching on Gamepass compared to steam.
  • Social conversation increased by 3x for a game when it is announced for Gamepass.
  • GP members 4x more likely to stream on twitch.
  • GP members spend 50% more than similar users.
  • Post-sale monetization increases by 2.8x after joining Gamepass, 50% of this comes from new players to the game.
And people thought gamepass was bad for the industry

adamsapple

Yes it's not your reading comprehension that is questionable, no sir. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

No, I'm not the one trying to turn the statistical and numerical data into a pretzel :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And people thought gamepass was bad for the industry

Some still do, despite these positive numbers.

There's some examples in this very topic lol.

Last edited:

RevGaming

The talk, and info, is specific to Game Pass.

Why are you expecting them to bust out sales for games in the last 4, 5 years ?

Literally anything they say, some users will find ways to twist it around as a negative lol.

Um no.

If Halo Infinite sold 20m already, while Halo 5 only reached 10m sold, I wouldn't be worried about services in general at all.

Why is it hard to understand that some users enjoy high production games (it's why we buy new consoles)?

Thirty7ven

Banned
No, I'm not the one trying to turn the statistical and numerical data into a pretzel :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean, you're the one drawing a conclusion that isn't supported by the data. You're trying to say there's growth where growth isn't mentioned. It just shows how ill equipped you are to interpret data, but that's ok.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I'd still much rather MS just tell us how much more/less users spend after joining GamePass.

I think that's the number they are holding to their vest.

Not saying it's a bad number; it may just be a secret they don't want competitors really knowing.. but if you can tell us "after joining GP gamers game 40% more" you cant ell us "after gaming GP gamers spend XXX".

Instead we get looka-alike users.

TELL USSS MSSS
They are trying to lump all gamepass users in 1 group.

New users don't make old users stop spending money.

Its just that the overall (new and old users) spend more money. And that is due to people gaming too much.

When you have gamepass, you will spend more time on the device, which will increase your chance of spending more time on the store. Since you have now money, which would have went to these games. So you tend to buy similar games that you played.

RevGaming

I mean, you're the one drawing a conclusion that isn't supported by the data. You're trying to say there's growth where growth isn't mentioned. It just shows how ill equipped you are to interpret data, but that's ok.

I don't think they get it lol.
Imma move on.

IntentionalPun

They are trying to lump all gamepass users in 1 group.

New users don't make old users stop spending money.

Its just that the overall (new and old users) spend more money. And that is due to people gaming too much.

When you have gamepass, you will spend more time on the device, which will increase your chance of spending more time on the store. Since you have now money, which would have went to these games. So you tend to buy similar games that you played.

I don't know what they are trying; I just know a figure they are leaving out, and it's been clearly left out to me for years now.

When an existing Xbox gamer signs up to Gamepass, are they then spending more money after that date, or less money, on average?

They certainly know these figures.. and they are leaving them out of the presentations.

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft: "People who subscribe to game pass on average spend 50% more on games, add-ons and consumables"

The average Gaffer "Look at this manipulative evil bastards twisting numbers to their whim"
The funny thing, is that these data isn't for them, but for publishers and developers.
Its not meant for us.

adamsapple

People play more games, pkay different genres of games, spend more compared to non GP subscribers. New, old, indie game games get a massive lift.

How anyone can turn this into a negative is mind boggling.

kingfey

Banned
I don't know what they are trying; I just know a figure they are leaving out, and it's been clearly left out to me for years now.

When an existing Xbox gamer signs up to Gamepass, are they then spending more money after that date, or less money, on average?

They certainly know these figures.. and they are leaving them out of the presentations.
Its about budget limitation, and less exposure to the store.

Most people have no idea, that the games that are on gamepass exists, before it arrived on gamepass.

You also have other type of games, which people will never try it, because it's not their taste.

Gamepass is introducing these people to a new outlook, and exposes them to more games.

Now that people are exposed to more games, they will buy more Gamez.

2 years ago, I couldn't buy any game, because my interest was small. Now I bought alot of games, and tons of day1 on other devices because I was exposed to gamepass. Which made me interested in games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

It's not adding up.

Because this information isn't for you.

You dont have the data they are talking, which is why you are confused.

These type of stuff is aimed for other guys. It's an advertisement for them.

They are saying "Hey, put your games on our gamepass and our system. Gamepass users are buying alot of games. Come join us"

reksveks

Why do they call non GP members lookalikes?
Lookalikes is a common terms especially in advertising.

You get a subset of users (A) - GP users
You get the global users (B)

You see what characteristic the A group has relative to B. That creates a model of what A users do aka Users in Group A are 3x more likely to play sports games, 2x more likely to buy COD and 1/2 likely to play fighting games.

You can then use that model across an new global of users and see how well your model is at predicting what you though they would do.

It's a bit of a weird one so need to see what they were referring to specifically.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

IntentionalPun

Its about budget limitation, and less exposure to the store.

Most people have no idea, that the games that are on gamepass exists, before it arrived on gamepass.

You also have other type of games, which people will never try it, because it's not their taste.

Gamepass is introducing these people to a new outlook, and exposes them to more games.

Now that people are exposed to more games, they will buy more Gamez.

2 years ago, I couldn't buy any game, because my interest was small. Now I bought alot of games, and tons of day1 on other devices because I was exposed to gamepass. Which made me interested in games.
I dont know what any of this has to do with my post.

MS isn't telling us how gamers actual spending habits change after getting Gamepass.

It's a pretty big missing number.

RevGaming

Because this information isn't for you.

You dont have the data they are talking, which is why you are confused.

These type of stuff is aimed for other guys. It's an advertisement for them.

They are saying "Hey, put your games on our gamepass and our system. Gamepass users are buying alot of games. Come join us"

I'm not confused. I know what they're hiding but don't want to show it, even to devs.
It just says that people who like gamepass spend more, not that after gamepass people spend more.
People play more games, pkay different genres of games, spend more compared to non GP subscribers. New, old, indie game games get a massive lift.

Because the only thing we worry about is that the quality and production of games will drop. This doesn't help our worry.
It's not that hard. Why can't some figure it out?

adamsapple

The funny thing, is that these data isn't for them, but for publishers and developers.
Its not meant for us.

So it's the developers and publishers reporting increased player activities and spending ?

But how does this service sustain itself, it's a mystery. 🤷‍♂️

Thirty7ven

Banned

Negative? All I said was that they weren’t sharing how much more people started spending post subscribing to GP, and 40% in number of games played isn’t exactly an incredible number. I mean if you play 100 games a year, sure.

kingfey

Banned
I dont know what any of this has to do with my post.

MS isn't telling us how gamers actual spending habits change after getting Gamepass.

It's a pretty big missing number.
I already told you.

If you have gamepass, you save money.

Gamepass has xbox games. It also contains day1 games from other 3rd party. And 3rd party games.

Unlike Playstation users, Xbox users are saving money, because they aren't spending money on their 1st party games.

Those money is going for other games.

They also buy the games they are interested on gamepass.

This is why gamepass users spend more money. They have access to demo games, which they can make judgment.

Top Bottom