• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has Closed the Activision Blizzard King Deal

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they put all their eggs into Gamepass and Gamepass subs either drop or stagnate for 4 years you think they will still be here?

Even after it was made known Xbox already came close to the chopping block?

HlvzJYX.gif
They just spent $70 billion on Activision.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
And these 'bangers' you speak of are your opinions, I haven't seen anything come out of their studios that made me want to throw down and buy a Xbox just to play it, I am not saying some of them aren't decent games, but they haven't had anything (that I see personally) as anything overly impressive, I have seen a lot of hype and promises, but nothing the I can see that just knocks it out of the park. I get they sought out to be bought, don't mean it should have been approved by the regulators. I wouldn't wanting Sony buying them either even if they did have the money, but the franchise and the gamers suffer in the end and the size of the purchase does matter, they are just heading down the same monopolistic road that they did with Windows back in the day, but now it is in the gaming arena, their only game plan is to throw money at stuff until there is nothing left but them.

EDIT:
Please don't think I am trying to console war, etc. This isn't about Sony vs Microsoft, I just don't want to see this whole industry turn into what Hollywood is now, full of garbage and when they just start buying up company after company it is slowly turning into what Hollywood is today except in the gaming environment, do you really want that? I just think they should have taken those billions they spent on Activision and pumped that money into all the studios they already own and create some amazing game from them, but the way things are going Microsoft is turning into the Disney of gaming and just buying up everything.
The bangers I speak of are shared through out the Xbox community for the most part. Average (god forbid) MC score for an Xbox title is 86 with tens of millions playing their first party games on the daily. Thats average...

At this point, if you're still stating that Xbox doesn't have any bangers after all this time, I'll just concede that there is no game that will change your mind about Xbox. Thats cool. But, don't sit and keep moving goal posts every time they hit one of your (not you specifically) check boxes of what Xbox needs to do better. Every time they hit another milestone or prove the naysayers wrong its ALWAYS something else they need to do in order to be successful. That tune played out with Biggie, bro...

One of the major milestones theyve hit is adding more dev houses to their stable of developers. This was an issue that even the Xbox community barked on for years. That issue has been MORE than resolved at this point. Still, we get gamers talking like we're still in the Xbox One era. That time has gone and passed.

And again, they couldnt afford to allow Sony to keep cutting them off at the knees with major 3rd party deals while trying to build studios from the ground up (such a stupid remedy, anyway...) while Sony continued to pummel them damn near into non existence. the only FEESIBLE and LOGICAL conclusion was to purchases developers and publishers who were open to being purchased. Sony had the right idea. They just didnt have the vision or the finances to do what Microsoft took it to. When the day is over, nothing can change what's happened over the last six years. Microsoft/Xbox or legitimate players in the gaming industry now. Sony and Nintendo FINALLY have some real competition

PaintTinJr

They just spent $70 billion on Activision.
Xbox? Xbox had $70b to spend on ATVI for itself? We've been told throughout the acquisition that it was Microsoft buying ATVI - for King mobile among other things - now you are saying it was entirely for Xbox to give them a canon to aim at rival PlayStation?

As it happens, I agree that they'll bleed however much they need with Xbox, just to maintain DirectX relevance on PC gaming to maintain Windows' monopoly, but if they had another device - surface - that was successful to take Xbox's place, they'd kill the financial pit of Xbox in a heartbeat IMO.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Feels like this acquisition is happening

Remember me making that statement in the acquisition thread and notice the date?

Rubber stamped is a great way to put it at least that was the feeling in certain circles

Yeah.....remember that well. You didn't say it was "rubber stamped" then though, for understandable reasons. You saying that goes a lot further than Tom Warren does.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
And if those games are so good, why isn't Xbox more competitive?

Because an AA that scores a mid 80s metacritic is not the same as an AAA that does the same. Those titles are fine. They're not impactful though. Psychonauts 2 being a high 80s metacritic is not the same as Spider-Man 2 or something with the same score.
That's an easy one. It's because Xbox lost the worse generation to lose. Xbox OG to Xbox 360 VS. PS2 to PS3....you had almost equivalent backwards compatibility...libraries started to go with users to the next console generation. Following that was the Xbox One and PS4 era. Largely a new start for both consoles as Xbox One had to develop an initiative to drip feed backwards compatibility games and PS4 largely placed previous generation games behind a paywall. All the while, people are building up their libraries on both systems in the then-current generation. Fast forward to 2020 and these libraries once again massively carried on to the PS5 and XSX and S. This basically solidified the current respective audiences in their place. That would be all fine and good for Xbox but for one little problem. They completely shit the bed in the Xbox One generation...so losing that generation put them behind massively....which only continued into this generation. The only way Microsoft would be able to make up ground would be if Sony fucked up royally with the PS5 or Xbox came out with something so appealing that it would beat the value of keeping your library on Sony's console. Enter Gamepass.

As for the metacritcic, open critic crap people seem to utilize when it fits their argument, there's a difference between a highly rated game and a system selling game. Spiderman was arguably a system seller. God of War 2018 was a system seller. TLOU2 was a system seller. Xbox has Halo Infinte, decent game, not a system seller, plus it had problems as a GaaS title. Forza and racing in general was always niche, rarely a system seller, that goes for Gran Turismo as well. I think the last system seller game Microsoft has had before Starfield was Titanfall 1. I say all this to make the point that games can be rated high but may not convince customer to buy a system for the privilege to play it.

Add to all this, Xbox's commitment to PC. Now its customers are split between two platforms within it's own ecosystem. This is fantastic for me as a consumer but one cannot deny that it means people would opt to just play Xbox games on PC, which is BY DESIGN! This means, that your question about why Xbox is less competitive is somewhat short sighted and ignores some very real strategies Xbox has been very public about....conveniently for your own argument. Namely, that Xbox has seen the writings on the wall and has changed it's strategy to find a way around the console wars.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That's an easy one. It's because Xbox lost the worse generation to lose. Xbox OG to Xbox 360 VS. PS2 to PS3....you had almost equivalent backwards compatibility...libraries started to go with users to the next console generation. Following that was the Xbox One and PS4 era. Largely a new start for both consoles as Xbox One had to develop an initiative to drip feed backwards compatibility games and PS4 largely placed previous generation games behind a paywall. All the while, people are building up their libraries on both systems in the then-current generation. Fast forward to 2020 and these libraries once again massively carried on to the PS5 and XSX and S. This basically solidified the current respective audiences in their place. That would be all fine and good for Xbox but for one little problem. They completely shit the bed in the Xbox One generation...so losing that generation put them behind massively....which only continued into this generation. The only way Microsoft would be able to make up ground would be if Sony fucked up royally with the PS5 or Xbox came out with something so appealing that it would beat the value of keeping your library on Sony's console. Enter Gamepass.

But Gamepass isn't that. Largely agree with most of what you are saying, but I'd say Gamepass is the thing that has kept Xbox viable but still hasn't made up ground against PlayStation. That probably won't happen unless Microsoft breaks their word and makes Call of Duty exclusive in ten years.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
But Gamepass isn't that. Largely agree with most of what you are saying, but I'd say Gamepass is the thing that has kept Xbox viable but still hasn't made up ground against PlayStation. That probably won't happen unless Microsoft breaks their word and makes Call of Duty exclusive in ten years.
How keen you are. It definitely is not. however this was still Xbox's attempt. Evidenced by it not moving the needle much at all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just wonder when its time for people to buy the next consoles if Xbox just has really cool free perks to play it on Gamepass if that makes the needle move any

It made me buy COD titles on Xbox when map packs were a 30 day exclusive so wonder what it will do in this day and age to have cool skins and extra battlepass perks

Exactly. And if that ROI hasn't come in 4 years you think top MS execs will be pleased?
As long as it is not the money pit, they won't give a shit. They earn 80b in pure profits every year....

Also, we know from various rumors, that Microsoft cherishes Xbox now because it is the only consumer facing brand right now. So it is important for them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I just wonder when its time for people to buy the next consoles if Xbox just has really cool free perks to play it on Gamepass if that makes the needle move any

It made me buy COD titles on Xbox when map packs were a 30 day exclusive so wonder what it will do in this day and age to have cool skins and extra battlepass perks

Phil Spencer said they were not going to do any of that though. Another promise where we will have to see if it holds. But I agree with you. If MS were to once again adopt exclusive content and "perks" then it would definitley make a difference.

Exactly. And if that ROI hasn't come in 4 years you think top MS execs will be pleased?
When you buy a company, you're not going to make back that selling price in 4 years. The selling price is based on not only what it's worth but how much it's IP is valued now and over time. This is a long-term investment as Activision brings in approximately $5-$6 Billion in profit annually, in four years that's $24 Billion if you stay on the high end, again, this is only profit. It will take maybe 10 years to make back that investment, but after that it's all money. That being said, this money will only be made if they keep these games on other platforms, which I fully anticipate them doing.

Bethesda was purchased for $7.5 Billion, which was worth owning for exclusive games and established IP. This $70 Billion investment is a different animal and cannot be held to exclusivity for the sole purpose that it simply would not make sense to alienate Playstation consoles as they own most of the console space and are required in making that investment back. Microsoft also has deals with Nintendo now as well, so not only will they tap into that Sony marketshare, but Nintendo's as well which will add to the profit moving forward.

EDITED

Last edited:

Alex Scott

When you buy a company, you're not going to make back that selling price in 4 years. The selling price is based on not only what it's worth but how much it's IP is valued now and over time. This is a long-term investment as Activision brings in approximately $5-$6 Billion in profit annually, in four years that's $24 Billion if you stay on the high end, again, this is only profit. It will take maybe 10 years to make back that investment, but after that it's all money.
They bring in 2 billion in profit and that is on the very high end.

They bring in 2 billion in profit and that is on the very high end.
I was speaking to annually, not quarterly. As of June 2023 they made $6.126 Billion in profit for the year.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Phil Spencer said they were not going to do any of that though. Another promise where we will have to see if it holds. But I agree with you. If MS were to once again adopt exclusive content and "perks" then it would definitley make a difference.
I kinda look at this from the other end. What might move the needle is Playstation's move to PC. By next gen if they are in full swing and actually release exclusives day and date on PC...that will have a much greater effect than anything Xbox would realistically do. I think Xbox next gen further pulls away from console in hopes of capturing the larger mobile and (gags) the Cloud market. We already saw evidence of this during that doc leak. I don't think they completely leave the console market though. At least not by 2028.

Topher

Gold Member
I kinda look at this from the other end. What might move the needle is Playstation's move to PC. By next gen if they are in full swing and actually release exclusives day and date on PC...that will have a much greater effect than anything Xbox would realistically do. I think Xbox next gen further pulls away from console in hopes of capturing the larger mobile and (gags) the Cloud market. We already saw evidence of this during that doc leak. I don't think they completely leave the console market though. At least not by 2028.

Fair points. Day one releases of PS games on PC would move the needle for people like me certainly. I doubt I would buy a PS if that were to happen. Save me $500+ in hardware costs. I'm not optimistic that will happen though. A lot depends on the vision of the next CEO.

I could honestly see Xbox going in any number of directions next gen.

Gavon West

When you buy a company, you're not going to make back that selling price in 4 years. The selling price is based on not only what it's worth but how much it's IP is valued now and over time. This is a long-term investment as Activision brings in approximately $5-$6 Billion in profit annually, in four years that's $24 Billion if you stay on the high end, again, this is only profit. It will take maybe 10 years to make back that investment, but after that it's all money. That being said, this money will only be made if they keep these games on other platforms, which I fully anticipate them doing.

Bethesda was purchased for $7.5 Billion, which was worth owning for exclusive games and established IP. This $70 Billion investment is a different animal and cannot be held to exclusivity for the sole purpose that it simply would not make sense to alienate Playstation consoles as they own most of the console space and are required in making that investment back. Microsoft also has deals with Nintendo now as well, so not only will they tap into that Sony marketshare, but Nintendo's as well which will add to the profit moving forward.

EDITED
I agree with "most" of this. But they can do both by way of GP and exclusives to the ecosystem - which they WILL do with this new acquisition. GP will grow. I think we can all agree there. But the platform has to be UNMISSABLE. That means keeping alot of their IP exclusive as well. I dont expect Microsoft to play "nice guy" anymore from this point. You cant make new inroads by doing the same old thing you've always done. They'll do mulit plats for the IP's their ordered to do so. That's CoD ONLY and the titles that have huge followings out in the world all ready. But many will remain exclusive to Xbox. You don't pay $70 billion to keep the status quo. That's a lot of Billy's. The most paid for a publisher in gaming history. Would you honestly keep sharing YOUR titles with your closest competitors if you paid that much money?

I sure as hell wouldn't. My competitors could eat a hot bowl of D's before I did that.

I agree with "most" of this. But they can do both by way of GP and exclusives to the ecosystem - which they WILL do with this new acquisition. GP will grow. I think we can all agree there. But the platform has to be UNMISSABLE. That means keeping alot of their IP exclusive as well. I dont expect Microsoft to play "nice guy" anymore from this point. You cant make new inroads by doing the same old thing you've always done. They'll do mulit plats for the IP's their ordered to do so. That's CoD ONLY and the titles that have huge followings out in the world all ready. But many will remain exclusive to Xbox. You don't pay $70 billion to keep the status quo. That's a lot of Billy's. The most paid for a publisher in gaming history. Would you honestly keep sharing YOUR titles with your closest competitors if you paid that much money?

I sure as hell wouldn't. My competitors could eat a hot bowl of D's before I did that.

I agree. I just wonder if it will make a difference? I don't know if the idea of paying a monthly cost is going to entice people more than just staying on playstation and keep the titles they have. Like Phil said they lost the worst generation to lose. I just don't think a sub service will work in gaming. I wasn't sure when GP was first announced but between the growth and the sub fatigue industry wide. I think I've seen enough to say it's just not going to take over the industry. To not have any growth in most of 2022 (or was it 2021?) is a horrible sign I don't care if any games didn't come out. It shouldn't have almost 0 growth in a whole year.

Gambit2483

EDITED
You think MS paid $70B to (ultimately) share? 😂😂

You think MS paid $70B to (ultimately) share? 😂😂

keeping these games exclusive would be industry suicide. Unless Xbox as a brand doesn’t have to deal with Sony eating up market share, they will have to sell these games on all platforms for the foreseeable future to not make this purchase a wasted investment. Otherwise, they should just fold their hand now.

Nubulax

Starfield just another victim of nonsensical expectations by the Xbox fans. It’s a death row of who’s who, and going on for a decade +.

The expectation for Starfield was at least that it would reach this Breath of the Wild status/TOTK in the conversation.

Doesn’t help Sara Bond walked on stage and dropped the line “most important rpg ever”. So clearly what we have is a company run by people that want to create a hype feedback loop with the fans, but apparently don’t have the ability to discern the actual quality of a game. The only thing that matters is engagement and that starts before the game releases.
Then when it doesnt reach those high metacritic scores you see "games media is so bias, sony shills, etc" Ive seen this growing movement about how all games media is mean and so bias against MS and its just not fair and they are all paid off by Sony etc etc

Nubulax

EDITED
When has ABK EVER made 5-6 billion....... try.... 1.5 to 3 billion for actual Net Income at least which seems more relevant for a total company and not one product... from the link you posted above

"Activision Blizzard annual/quarterly net income history and growth rate from 2010 to 2023. Net income can be defined as company's net profit or loss after all revenues, income items, and expenses have been accounted for."

• Activision Blizzard annual net income for 2022 was $1.513B, a 43.94% decline from 2021.
  • Activision Blizzard annual net income for 2021 was $2.699B, a 22.85% increase from 2020.
  • Activision Blizzard annual net income for 2020 was $2.197B, a 46.17% increase from 2019.

Last edited:

Nubulax

j1KqLL1.jpg

This outlet reviewed the game.

Just saying.

So two cherry picked "Reader's Features" means anything? Go ahead send in your own article

The reader’s features do not necessarily represent the views of GameCentral or Metro.

You can submit your own 500 to 600-word reader feature at any time, which if used will be published in the next appropriate weekend slot. Just contact us at gamecentral@metro.co.uk or use our Submit Stuff page and you won’t need to send an email.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
So two cherry picked "Reader's Features" means anything? Go ahead send in your own article

The reader’s features do not necessarily represent the views of GameCentral or Metro.

You can submit your own 500 to 600-word reader feature at any time, which if used will be published in the next appropriate weekend slot. Just contact us at gamecentral@metro.co.uk or use our Submit Stuff page and you won’t need to send an email.
LMAO. Clearly you have no experience with Metro. "Reader features" means shit we just made up down the pub. They are about as biased as they come.

Remember this is the publication that clearly said in its review that its was marking down HIFI Rush because MS hadn't released a game in 12 months.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yes, 'a reader's concerns' can just go on the website without any kind of editorial approval. You got it chief. :rolleyes:

Remember this is the publication that clearly said in its review that its was marking down HIFI Rush because MS hadn't released a game in 12 months.

Oh wow I had to look it up, they really said this in their review

The wasteland that has been the Xbox release schedules for the last few years limits the accolades we can give the game but it’s a breath of fresh air for Xbox gamers,

Fucing hell :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Nubulax

LMAO. Clearly you have no experience with Metro. "Reader features" means shit we just made up down the pub. They are about as biased as they come.

Just saying... BOTH ... of those were under a Reader Features screenshot... probably not the best example and no I havent read or pay attention to metro nor do I care. Is Metro now this esteemed bastion of major games media..I literally have not even seen or heard anything about them much until very recently

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Eh.......so Tom Warren is saying CMA has been lying this whole time? Hmm, ok. Only one problem with that. It's Tom Warren.

That’s not really what he’s saying, though. When both MS and the CMA filed to withdraw from the CAT, the tribunal judge was informed that the withdrawal was based on new information that would meaningfully change the structure of the deal.
Essentially, the CMA were given the proposal for the structural remedies around the streaming rights back in July.

Topher

Gold Member
That’s not really what he’s saying, though. When both MS and the CMA filed to withdraw from the CAT, the tribunal judge was informed that the withdrawal was based on new information that would meaningfully change the structure of the deal.
Essentially, the CMA were given the proposal for the structural remedies around the streaming rights back in July.

CMA said they had no knowledge of what MS was proposing. Per Tom Warren, that is a lie.

Gavon West

keeping these games exclusive would be industry suicide. Unless Xbox as a brand doesn’t have to deal with Sony eating up market share, they will have to sell these games on all platforms for the foreseeable future to not make this purchase a wasted investment. Otherwise, they should just fold their hand now.
Jesus. Why do you guys keep thinking they are trying to recoup their investment here?? The money was just sitting in the bank collecting interest. They instead decided to purchase an asset that will make them more money over time. They aren't worried about making this money back any time soon. Do you guys NOT understand investments and assets??

Jesus. Why do you guys keep thinking they are trying to recoup their investment here?? The money was just sitting in the bank collecting interest. They instead decided to purchase an asset that will make them more money over time. They aren't worried about making this money back any time soon. Do you guys NOT understand investments and assets??
so... what's up with those price hike games?

I've still waiting for the xbox fanatics on here to tell me how this is good for the industry or gamers.

Other than Sony too and all sonys fault to repeating MS talking points such as
Bringing more games to gamers.

Biggest 3rd party on there planet locking their games To one system bar cod. Just so Xbox fans can cheer they get Activision games on gamepass? I don't get it, you were always get the games from Activision?

So what's next? EA, ubisoft? We already know they want Nintendo.. even the shill articles are doing the rounds saying Nintendo should sell.

And if this gamepass gamble fails? This obsession with consolidation is weird.

Seems like everyone is doing it because of people in rich nations using poor counties to get games cheap. Blame those using vpn to brasil to get cheaper games.
Why do you guys keep thinking they are trying to recoup their investment here??
They aren't worried about making this money back any time soon.

I hope MS will make things right and lower the prices soon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've still waiting for the xbox fanatics on here to tell me how this is good for the industry or gamers.

Other than Sony too and all sonys fault to repeating MS talking points such as
Bringing more games to gamers.

Biggest 3rd party on there planet locking their games To one system bar cod. Just so Xbox fans can cheer they get Activision games on gamepass? I don't get it, you were always get the games from Activision?

So what's next? EA, ubisoft? We already know they want Nintendo.. even the shill articles are doing the rounds saying Nintendo should sell.

And if this gamepass gamble fails? This obsession with consolidation is weird.

Why invest in something if you don't make a return on that investment? I'm guessing it will take at least 10 years to make a return. Most businesses don't shell out cash, just to shell out cash, they want that return.

Schmick

Why invest in something if you don't make a return on that investment? I'm guessing it will take at least 10 years to make a return. Most businesses don't shell out cash, just to shell out cash, they want that return.
What's better, $70b sitting in the bank doing nothing (because that's what MS's cash was doing) or $70b turned into a asset generating $6b - $8b every 12 months.

What's better, $70b sitting in the bank doing nothing (because that's what MS's cash was doing) or $70b turned into a asset generating $6b - $8b every 12 months.
I don't think I'm disagreeing; however, you are arguing your point for no reason. They get that buying power by having money in the bank. So yes, they want that $6B profit for sure. I'm also saying, in 10 years they will want that investment back in the bank. Sure, it only collects interest, but also, if they didn't have the cash on hand today, the Activision purchase wouldn't have happened. So please enlighten me on how they don't want to make a return on investment (ROI) on this deal? Wouldn't it make sense to make the money back to maybe purchase more assets? Let's also assume, Microsoft is not limited to gaming. $70b ready to roll will help every facet of the company.

Last edited:

Antwix

Over / Under do you guys think we get some Activision content announced for Game Pass Today (17th), as they usually announce game pass stuff on Tuesdays ?

edit: Under.
As soon as Microsoft said they'll be sharing more in the "coming months", I knew it wasn't going to be like Bethesda was. Those games were out in like a week. I think we'll get most of the games around Christmas.

Top Bottom