• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft in Poland for studio acquisition

Pallas

I saw this on Era, if true then maybe their acquisition spree hasn’t ended yet.

and before anyone jumps to conclusions, highly doubtful it’s CDRed.

It’s in the twitter link but I’ll post it here for easier access, but here’s the list of Polish studios that are still independent.

uzGS1U7.png

Here’s the link to the Era thread.

Sorry if this news was mentioned already, couldn’t find it.

FranXico

maybe their acquisition spree hasn’t ended yet.
This is Microsoft. They would buy every independent studio in the world just to prevent content from coming out on the competition if they could.

A lot of people here really have short memory it seems.

Pallas

This is Microsoft. They would buy every independent studio in the world just to prevent content from coming out on the competition if they could.

Which is it? I always hear on GAF that Microsoft wants to get out of the console business and become a third party publisher, but now they want to be spiteful and want buy every independent studio to keep it off the competitions platform?

A lot of people here can’t seem to make up their minds it seems.

Bkdk

Will probably be the acquisition of 11bit studios, which is a great buy for them to bring back more simulation PC focused AAA titles, would be super awesome if true. Also some exclusive deals with techland and CDPR might come.

they might wanna start a development studios in Poland too, much cheaper and still as talented, can bring cost down 50% easily.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
There is only one studio in Poland that people thing of: CDPR

Every other studio is a small fry and doesn't exist.

Do I think MS is seeking to acquire them? No, but they could afford it.

More importantly would CDPR want to be console exclusive? I don't think they would be keen to upset their loyal fans given how much goodwill they have.

Vawn

Banned
Microsoft really wants to pad out their studios with a bunch of AA or mediocre studios. I guess they are sticking hard to the quantity over quality approach to keep GamePass affordable.

At least we are getting to a point where the consoles are doing different things. PlayStation for the high-quality AAA games. Xbox for a more affordable AA experience.

Banned
More importantly would CDPR want to be console exclusive? I don't think they would be keen to upset their loyal fans given how much goodwill they have.

Witcher 3 was their first game that was on PlayStation.
before that they only released on Xbox 360 and PC. So those "Loyal" fans only ever had 1 game they could buy.
so I can't see that as being an issue, especially since they could still release on PC, and Microsoft doesn't even release Windows Store exclusives anymore, meaning GOG and Steam releases wouldn't be an issue either.

if they had any issue with it it would be losing their independence, but not because they couldn't release on 1 of the platforms anymore, which they only ever released 1 game on anyways.

Last edited:
Its either People Can Fly or Techland. MS has great relationship with the both of them

Get in those Japanese deals MS! Come on!

They can acquire CDred, dont think they would mind as much, and give them a free wheel on creativity, any project, "ready when its done" approach, and sail their ship as they please with infinite stax of $$$$$$$$..just for that sole purpose, why not. 🤜🔥🤛😄

Banned
Only 15.5% of Witcher 3 sales were on Xbox. And that was before Switch, it's even lower now.

well yeah, but still, this was their first and only major game on a PlayStation platform, and if you combine PC and Xbox sales you still end up with a majority of their fans. and if we're talking next gen, who knows how many of those PS4 customers will switch over to PC or Xbox? a generational shift always mixes up the playerbase.
an extreme example of this was the 360 era, where I bet that a vast majority of PS2 owners switched to Xbox 360, given sales numbers in the first couple of years

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Which is it? I always hear on GAF that Microsoft wants to get out of the console business and become a third party publisher, but now they want to be spiteful and want buy every independent studio to keep it off the competitions platform?

A lot of people here can’t seem to make up their minds it seems.

In defense of those ppl Microsoft investors and the company in general sometimes don't seem clear on what thy want, at times they are at odds with the Xbox business.

nikolino840

They can acquire CDred, dont think they would mind as much, and give them a free wheel on creativity, any project, "ready when its done" approach, and sail their ship as they please with infinite stax of $$$$$$$$..just for that sole purpose, why not. 🤜🔥🤛😄
I think they want tons of Money :D
They can buy but leave the properties to them
Like for example having a store where you are the shop owner but not the brand owner

Gamernyc78

Banned
Microsoft really wants to pad out their studios with a bunch of AA or mediocre studios. I guess they are sticking hard to the quantity over quality approach to keep GamePass affordable.

At least we are getting to a point where the consoles are doing different things. PlayStation for the high-quality AAA games. Xbox for a more affordable AA experience.

And super affordable gamepass. I can dig both of the companies approach.

Mista

Banned
No thanks. Leave them by themselves doing what they do best without anyone pressuring them
For a Japanese studio getting bought out by MS would mean saying goodbye to the Japanese market. They'd have to be pretty desperate to make a deal like that.
And they’re desperate to get into the Japanese market

Dory16

Banned
It's probably People Can Fly. I just think the Coalition has that angle covered. CDProject will cost too much. They're about to have the blockbuster of the year. Their stock has never been as high. Worst time to buy. Plus it would probably end the same way as with Bungie. Partnerships work better when both sides need one another.

Implying Microsoft doesn't have multiple AAA studios with thousands of employees between them

source.gif

Mista

Banned
Its either People Can Fly or Techland. MS has great relationship with the both of them

Get in those Japanese deals MS! Come on!
I’d also like to add it shouldn’t be necessary acquiring them but put on those nice deals here and there

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

This is kinda putting MS in a "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't" position. Hell, how do you think Sony got many of its 1st parties started? They purchased them. Even big names like Naughty Dog were purchased out.

Many of the studios Sony purchased were mediocre talent at one point too. Before they purchased Naughty Dog, that company made Way of the Warrior for the 3DO, one of the worst fighting games ever made. Other studios they purchased were of middling stature at the time of purchase.

This feels a lot like double standards from fanboys here; you complain about their lack of 1st party exclusives on one hand, then when they get to making attempts of rectifying the problem, you criticize them by insulting the studios they might look to purchase. If they went after someone like CDPR or another major studio you'd complain it's a moneyhat like what they did with Rise of the Tomb Raider in 2014.

At that point, why should they value your opinion? You're never going to give them elbow room and use double standards you wouldn't apply to your preferred platform holders. It's a trademark of fanboyism.

Last edited:

kyoji

This is not a rumor but confirmed by my sources.. Sony is in japan and the pocket book is open as the well never runs dry from the money printing machine ps4. I wonder who they will aquire? 🤔

This is kinda putting MS in a "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't" position. Hell, how do you think Sony got many of its 1st parties started? They purchased them. Even big names like Naughty Dog were purchased out.
Look at Valve.

• Half-Life (supposedly an original creation)
  • Day of Defeat (purchased mod)
  • Counter-Strike (purchased mod)
  • Team Fortress (purchased mod)
  • Left 4 Dead (purchased studio and concept)
  • Portal (purchased concept and hiring of students who created it)
  • Dota 2 (Warcraft III mod conceptualized into its own game developed by the original creator)

Last edited:

DonF

Gold Member
CDPR is close to impossible. They are more than their games, they own GoG too. They are a public company company, so Microsoft would have to shell out a fuck ton of cash to buy them....

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I very seriously doubt there is any way in hell it's CDPR. I would guess unlike most independent studios, they are rolling in cash after the Witcher 3 and I feel like they are a studio that truly values their independence. And while MS seems to have a great relationship with CDPR and can afford to buy ANY studio they want, buying big studios for huge sums has not been their MO so far.

I hope it's Techland, I think they would be a great acquisition for MS.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I very seriously doubt there is any way in hell it's CDPR. I would guess unlike most independent studios, they are rolling in cash after the Witcher 3 and I feel like they are a studio that truly values their independence. And while MS seems to have a great relationship with CDPR and can afford to buy ANY studio they want, buying big studios for huge sums has not been their MO so far.

Nooooooo not my Dying Light tht I love lol damn it then I'll Def be forced to get an Xbox (I might get one anyway due to the latest positive leaks and info 😊).

Dory16

Banned
Techland and People Can Fly fit Microsoft’s habit of buying B tier studios

Textbook business economics. Low risk-high reward is what every investor looks for. For the price of CDRED, they can probably buy 3 smaller studios with all their IPs and hope that one of them strikes gold. If none of them does, they still get way more gamepass content and new subscriptions out of that long term than they would out of a singe studio with only one or 2 IPs.

CatLady

Nooooooo not my Dying Light tht I love lol damn it then I'll Def be forced to get an Xbox (I might get one anyway due to the latest positive leaks and info 😊).

Is dying light taht good? A friend of mine highly recommended some time ago, but I never played it for some reason.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
CDPR is close to impossible. They are more than their games, they own GoG too. They are a public company company, so Microsoft would have to shell out a fuck ton of cash to buy them....
To be fair, Microsoft has a fuck ton of money, so.....Its not out of the realm of possibility, though I dont think they'd try to purchase CDPR. Keep in mind too, Xbox is becoming a major WRPG home base come next gen, so who knows. CDPR could be right up their alley.

GHG

Gold Member
The Farm 51's games would be a good fit for gamepass. Solid story driven games that are on the shorter side.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was them.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Well, Sony purchased Insomniac shortly after Spiderman in which Im quite sure Insomniac were doing quite well financially after that. Insomniac even said they weren't looking to get acquired and loved having their independence.

All that to say, CDPR may be doing well, but they have a number like anyone else. And Microsoft has that number, guaranteed. Its just if they'd willing to pay it. Techland would be super awesome too.

CatLady

Not tried it this generation but I loved it on the 360. You can try it on game pass if you're a subscriber.

I could have sworn I saw it on the before, but now it's not showing for me. Is it only on Game Pass for PC? :messenger_crying:

Top Bottom