• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft in Poland for studio acquisition

Pallas

I just can’t see CD Red being purchased, I believe the opportunity for that was back during the 360/PS4/Wii era when they released Witcher 2 on the 360 abd were originally making the Witcher 1 for it iirc but scrapped it.

Techland might be possible, didn’t they have issues with getting a publisher for Dead Island 2 for the longest and had financial issues? PCF would be a good get though, they do have experience working with Microsoft.

quickwhips

This is Microsoft. They would buy every independent studio in the world just to prevent content from coming out on the competition if they could.

A lot of people here really have short memory it seems.
Yeah because minecraft dungeon isnt on ps4. And ori isnt on other platforms either. The message is sony wouldnt put things on other platforms not microsoft. Take your blinders off.

quickwhips

Buy dennis dyack and give that fucker some money for too human two. Also give cliffy some money and let him build a studio. I would like those two things to happen to be honest.

Butz

Banned
Buy dennis dyack and give that fucker some money for too human two. Also give cliffy some money and let him build a studio. I would like those two things to happen to be honest.

Building a completely new studio around Cliffy would be a waste, though they could give him 1/4 of the Coalition.

I just can’t see CD Red being purchased, I believe the opportunity for that was back during the 360/PS4/Wii era when they released Witcher 2 on the 360 abd were originally making the Witcher 1 for it iirc but scrapped it.

Techland might be possible, didn’t they have issues with getting a publisher for Dead Island 2 for the longest and had financial issues? PCF would be a good get though, they do have experience working with Microsoft.

Techland sold the Dead Island IP so they never worked on the sequel, that was Yager, then the project was on ice until Sumo picked it back up and now it's at Dambuster.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Yeah because minecraft dungeon isnt on ps4. And ori isnt on other platforms either. The message is sony wouldnt put things on other platforms not microsoft. Take your blinders off.
Microsoft games are at least on pc to.. aside form gears trilogy :(
but Sony games are only on sony. true that

I get it that some people like jap games, but for the love of God stop with that market's importance. Japan is small and insignificant. Doesn't matter if next xbox sells there or not as long as weebs in Europe and US get their panty sniffing sims.

quickwhips

Building a completely new studio around Cliffy would be a waste, though they could give him 1/4
This is bullshit. Cliff has a good vision he could build a great studio with sony or microsoft financing. He should hire me. Cliff if your read this please direct message.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

bitbydeath

I get it that some people like jap games, but for the love of God stop with that market's importance. Japan is small and insignificant. Doesn't matter if next xbox sells there or not as long as weebs in Europe and US get their panty sniffing sims.

Japan is like the second biggest video game market in the world. FYI.

This is not a rumor but confirmed by my sources.. Sony is in japan and the pocket book is open as the well never runs dry from the money printing machine ps4. I wonder who they will aquire? 🤔

They moved their gaming headquarters to California a while ago and I don't think Sony has as much leverage with mid-tier and smaller Japanese companies as, say, Nintendo.

Larger ones are probably too large to justify acquiring or they would not be able to justify to them a 1st-party (and maybe PC) path for their games is better than the current model that supports Sony, PC, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Butz

Banned

Agreed, the Xbox audience doesn't care about japanese games and the japanese don't care about Xbox.
If I were MS I'd try to get a base in mainland europe, get a german studio, a czech one and two in Poland (a bigger one and a smaller one like Astronauts).
Techland and People Can Fly fit Microsoft’s habit of buying B tier studios

Dying Light is one of the most fun games of this gen, Techland is far from B tier.

Last edited:

Pallas

Agreed, the Xbox audience doesn't care about japanese gamesand the japanese don't care about Xbox.
If I were MS I'd try to get a base in mainland europe, get a german s

Dying Light is one of the most fun games of this gen, Techland is far from B tier.

I disagree with you about the bolded part of your post. While the audience for those games aren’t anywhere near the size of Sony or Nintendo, they do have a small audience that’s growing. After all, getting the SaGa and PS1’s FF remasters shows this. It’s not where it needs to be yet but it’s growing.

Dane

Bloober Team is my bet, its a studio with a historic partnership, CDPR while it still has it, it costs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than Mojang. Nothing is impossible, but an acquisition like that would mean the operations would be the same as Mojang (GOG, multiplatform n stuff).

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Poland has a ton of good talent.

Bloober Team (Layers of Fear, Observer, Blair Witch) is another possibility I didnt see mentioned.

CD Projekt Red would be insane, but not likely. Also doesnt make much sense for the $7B they'd have to spend.

Techland would be decent. Especially if they want them for something other than a zombie game (since they already do State of Decay).

My money is on People Can Fly. They did Gears Judgment back when Epic had the series. I also thought Painkiller was good dumb Doom fun.

Astronauts could be nice too. Low key team with a praised title under its belt (Ethan Carter) and an anticipated title upcoming (Witchfire).

I'm hoping when they next announce, itll be People Can Fly and Asobo (Flight Sim, Plague Tale). Both studios puld be great with proper funding.

molasar

Banned
How is CD projekt worth $6.5 billion 😨😨
The witcher is veeeery succeseful. Also, making games is not their only business. They own and operate GOG, which is a pretty big storefront for games.
Actually, writing this made me question the 6,5 billion worth. GOG is not that big to be worth that much.
I don't know.
I use gog but I still struggle to believe this company is worth 6.5 billion dollars, that has to be the most from any game studio

To purchase CD Projekt Red, Microsoft has to acquire at least 50% + 1 shares (if this is a factor of having a control but it can be less or more) of CD Projekt S.A. Or just have CD Projekt S.A. shareholders owning at least 50% + 1 shares to decide about selling CD Projekt RED.

So there is 96,120,000 issued shares with a value of 1 share at 270.10 PLN (value from 20/Dec/'19).

(48,060,000+1)x270.10 PLN=12,981,006,270.1 PLN=3,380,470,382.84 USD
if 3.84 PLN = 1 USD

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
This is Microsoft. They would buy every independent studio in the world just to prevent content from coming out on the competition if they could.

A lot of people here really have short memory it seems.

im trying hard, but cant recall last time microsoft bought “every independent studio in the world”.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Japan is like the second biggest video game market in the world. FYI.

I'm having a very hard time believing Japan is still 2nd only to what the U.S? Europe, China..... Japan is big and a lot of that game market would be with all the shit they sell with it its in abundance the other collectables over there when looking at the industry, but go into any game shop in Japan and its still majority hand held only. Consoles are a shadow compared to what they used to move in sales and a declining population probably not helping. There's no reason for Microsoft to worry about the Japan home console market anymore there never was to be honest. It's not 1999 anymore. Offer CD Projekt RED 15% above market value on shares and grab the lot you manage to snare GOG then also a major foothole into PC digital.

Last edited:

Hugare

lol at people even considering CDPR

They would show the door to MS as soon as they arrive at the studio

They are rich as fuck and they really appreciate their independency. There's no way that they would accept an offer.

It's probably Techland, but I dont think they would accept it. Dying Light sold a lot of copies, and the studio seems to be doing really well financially.

Obsidian and Ninja Theory struggled with money and financing. They were hardly "independent", releasing AA projects.
MS basically saved Obsidian, and NJ had success with Senua's Sacrifice, but they werent going to develop something AAA anytime soon.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I'm having a very hard time believing Japan is still 2nd only to what the U.S? Europe, China..... Japan is big and a lot of that game market would be with all the shit they sell with it its in abundance the other collectables over there when looking at the industry, but go into any game shop in Japan and its still majority hand held only. Consoles are a shadow compared to what they used to move in sales and a declining population probably not helping. There's no reason for Microsoft to worry about the Japan home console market anymore there never was to be honest. It's not 1999 anymore. Offer CD Projekt RED 15% above market value on shares and grab the lot you manage to snare GOG then also a major foothole into PC digital.

Should you include Europe as one though? Wouldn’t that be like stating Asia and including Japan?

Neofire

Agreed, the Xbox audience doesn't care about japanese games and the japanese don't care about Xbox.
If I were MS I'd try to get a base in mainland europe, get a german studio, a czech one and two in Poland (a bigger one and a smaller one like Astronauts).

Completely opinionated but you say it as though it's fact. In "my" opinion Dying Light was average at best.

Butz

Banned
Bloober Team is my bet, its a studio with a historic partnership, CDPR while it still has it, it costs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than Mojang. Nothing is impossible, but an acquisition like that would mean the operations would be the same as Mojang (GOG, multiplatform n stuff).
Bloober are a public company, Microsoft has never bought a public company before.
The only likely options are Techland, People can Fly, Astronauts and Farm 51.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Completely opinionated but you say it as though it's fact. In "my" opinion Dying Light was average at best.

Sure it depends on how much you enjoy the parkour aspect of the game but to me parkour is a lot more fun than, for example, hiding behind cover.

And just to name some numbers - the reveal trailer for DL2 has almost 5million views on one video, that is almost 10x as much as Gears latest story trailer.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
CD Projekt RED is not a public company; it is a subsidiary of CD Projekt S.A. which is traded publicly. So you need then convince shareholders to sell you enough shares to hold a controlling interest.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Imagine the tears if it was CDPR. If I was running MS, I would do it just to watch the internet melt.

Last edited:

Hawke502

Its funny seeing some people here talking about Microsoft only buying AA studios not realising they are expanding those studios quickly. Even Rare has been hiring 20-30 people through the last months

Dane

Bloober are a public company, Microsoft has never bought a public company before.
The only likely options are Techland, People can Fly, Astronauts and Farm 51.

They did with the other divisions, its not impossible as the market cap of Bloober Team is at 25 million euros.

Butz

Banned
They did with the other divisions, its not impossible as the market cap of Bloober Team is at 25 million euros.
Bloober is not worth it though. Their games aren't really good and what they need is one more high caliber studio, not one that focuses on walking sims.

molasar

Banned
Well of course MS can buy CDPR, they can pretty much buy anything they want. While the meltdowns would be insanely entertaining. I just don't see it happening, It doesn't fit with their current strategy.
They can't buy CDPR; it is not for sale but they can afford to purchase enough shares to have a control of its mother company-CD Projekt S.A. under one condition, they (amount of shares) must be put into the market.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
This is not a rumor but confirmed by my sources.. Sony is in japan and the pocket book is open as the well never runs dry from the money printing machine ps4. I wonder who they will aquire? 🤔
Konami and Capcom...…...They better do it.....(For the ip's alone)…...

Top Bottom