• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft insists Game Pass prices will not increase as a result of Activision merger

DaGwaphics

Obviously. The first price increase for GPU is likely a long way off. I'd suspect you'd start to see them maximizing the existing price before they got there (transitioning the Gold conversion to $ per $ instead of month for month, etc.). People aren't taking into account how profitable the MTX are in CoD, having a bigger base of players on Xbox jumping in day one might make them more money.

Stuart360

MS shouldnt of said this really as Gamepass will obviously go up in price at some point, and when it does we are just going to have loads of concern trolls saying 'remember 3 years ago when they said they werent going to put up the price, well they just have lolz. Microsoft are so evil and lie constantly ha ha'.

omg-sigh-gif.gif

TLZ

Banned
It's just PR speak playing with words. They're just saying COD won't be the reason. But they won't tell you price will increase for other reasons.

graywolf323

You have to look at the overall picture

70 dollars to buy CoD once every year or 120-180 dollars for CoD and all the rest of the games.
people buying Game Pass for CoD won’t be getting just regular Game pass, they’d need to get Game Pass Ultimate so they can play online

quest

Not Banned from OT
people buying Game Pass for CoD won’t be getting just regular Game pass, they’d need to get Game Pass Ultimate so they can play online
And they save 60 from not having to buy gold. Same cost as gold plus gp basic per year. If your already getting COD plus gold it's really only 50 more per year to get gpu and access to lots of other games to check out including EA pass games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
However, in a newly published response to the CMA’s findings, Microsoft said it doesn’t plan to raise Game Pass prices due to the deal going through and claimed that doing so would be counter-productive because it would lead to a drop in subscribers.

It doesn’t say they won’t raise prices. Just that the deal wont be the reason they raise prices.

Mr.Phoenix

However, in a newly published response to the CMA’s findings, Microsoft said it doesn’t plan to raise Game Pass prices due to the deal going through and claimed that doing so would be counter-productive because it would lead to a drop in subscribers.

It doesn’t say they won’t raise prices. Just that the deal wont be the reason they raise prices.
Yup, and in a year or two when they do increase GP prices and cite inflation or to allow them to secure more great games for our great fans to play, some fans can come and say you see?they didn't increase prices because of the deal lol.

eg...

In September 2022, during an interview with CNBC, Xbox head Phil Spencer was asked if Microsoft had plans to raise the retail price of consoles. In response, Spencer said, "I can definitely say we have no plans today to raise the price of our consoles."

3 months later...boom, price increase.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
If games keep being delayed, you have to keep the cost down.

What if someone buys a year of GamePass and two AAA titles get pushed out of the year?

I’m sure it’s all in the fine print but that’s going to stick with people.

j.k.2021

Banned
It's just a bluff to seem big just like the FTC "suing" MS but not taking them to court. It is all for show and this deal will pass at the end of the day.
If every other country, major unions and almost every company agrees with this deal except UK they would look bias and corrupt. Worse thing UK could do is fine MS or block Activision games.

Blocking MS will never happen as there are too many jobs and businesses that depend on Microsoft. Microsoft is one of the biggest if not THE biggest B2B company. Github, Window computers, Azure, MS office, Linkedin, etc is something every major business depends on to operate and UK is no exception.
FTC knows that they will get ripped apart in a federal court.They have no argument.

Careful words.
The price increase will be caused by inflation. Duh.

Yeah its inevitable there will be an increase of some sort. That's why I replied with laughing emoji's. Not to troll but anyone with common sense knows this is some BS from Microsoft. It would be equaly amusing if it came from Sony and Nintendo too.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Can we get one of those 10 year legally binding statements saying you won't increase the gamepass price?

In the minds of some people, Microsoft will raise Game Pass' price to the exact same as full price titles rendering the entire point of a service like Game Pass totally moot. An exaggeration, but one which some people must realistically see as a possibility with how they talk about Game Pass.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's also what I'm thinking. I do believe they know people wouldn't pay more for the service than they already do.
I won't pay $14.99 a month especially when considering how few big time exclusives MS actually has and will likely have for the foreseeable future. If that get's raised to $19.99 a month, so many will quit.

Gamepass still has it's most value to parents who buy their kid a console and want immediate access to a ton of games. Gamepass is amazing in that regard.

ironmang

I won't pay $14.99 a month especially when considering how few big time exclusives MS actually has and will likely have for the foreseeable future. If that get's raised to $19.99 a month, so many will quit.

Gamepass still has it's most value to parents who buy their kid a console and want immediate access to a ton of games. Gamepass is amazing in that regard.
GP has that same value regardless of age.

Not sure what you mean by "big time exclusives" but MS already has great first party output. This isn't the X1 days anymore. I haven't seen any indication that they're going to raise prices any time soon either. They don't even seem to care about the $1 loophole that's existed for years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom