• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is preventing people from hacking its Xbox gaming consoles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microsoft these days is also a hardware company and it's taken DRM-hacking lessons learned from the Xbox and applied them to the Windows hardware ecosystem under the new 'Secured-core' initiative.

The overall approach is derived from Microsoft's experience in preventing people from hacking its Xbox gaming consoles.

"Xbox has a very advanced threat model because we don't trust the user even in physical possession of the device. We don't want the user to be able to hack the console to run their own games," said Weston.

"Also, when you take it out of the game domain and you put into the real-world physical domain, you want the same guarantee that an attacker cannot access your code and data. We took our own learnings and worked with silicon vendors to develop a strategy to deal with advanced threats."

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Microsoft these days is also a hardware company and it's taken DRM-hacking lessons learned from the Xbox and applied them to the Windows hardware ecosystem under the new 'Secured-core' initiative.

The overall approach is derived from Microsoft's experience in preventing people from hacking its Xbox gaming consoles.

"Xbox has a very advanced threat model because we don't trust the user even in physical possession of the device. We don't want the user to be able to hack the console to run their own games," said Weston.

"Also, when you take it out of the game domain and you put into the real-world physical domain, you want the same guarantee that an attacker cannot access your code and data. We took our own learnings and worked with silicon vendors to develop a strategy to deal with advanced threats."
As soon as it’s hackable then people abuse that with playing pirated games. No company wants people to have the ability to play pirated games on their system. Sony will probably have the same stance on this so it ain’t realy an issue.

lynux3

As soon as it’s hackable then people abuse that with playing pirated games. No company wants people to have the ability to play pirated games on their system. Sony will probably have the same stance on this so it ain’t realy an issue.
PlayStation 4 has had an ARM processor on-board that performs the same level of security since day one. It's ARM TrustZone.

Last edited:

Alx

I suppose there's a lot less incentive to hack the Xbox when anybody can switch it to dev mode and run custom software on it already.

Lanrutcon

I don't have any issues with the exercise, but all they're doing is buying time. If the console is a success, it will draw the necessary talent to break it open.

Fair enough, If they dropped support for the system then we can expect it to get firmware not long after but till that day comes I don't mind. At that point you might as well just stream your PC to your TV if you want homebrew and an open environment to piss about it.

Banned
I suppose there's a lot less incentive to hack the Xbox when anybody can switch it to dev mode and run custom software on it already.

I bet this is the reason why it's not hacked yet.
there are already emulators you can use either with a console set to developer mode, or even easier... through the damn web browser.

so why hack it?

Last edited:
I bet this is the reason why it's not hacked yet.
there are already emulators you can use either with a console set to developer mode, or even easier... through the damn web browser.

so why hack it?
lol.... troll?

can you play on it pirated xbox games ? 100% not.

so its not hackt.

mejin

tenor.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
People saying it is just a matter of time don't really understand how piracy works. Managing to hack a console isn't enough. You have to make it trivial enough for endusers and you have to make it relatively reliable and undetectable to the point people don't have to worry about their accounts for it to be a "problem" for the platform holder. It doesn't have to be 100% effective to be cost-effective.

As far as protected-core being something new, it isn't. Stuff like that has existed in the computer space for a long time. Most of you never heard of it because there's been no compelling reason for it to trickle down to consumer-level hardware.

The hilarious bit is where they talk about not trusting the user as being some special initiative. Historically Microsoft's operating systems have been lambasted for having practically no security model in comparison to almost every other operating system. Thanks for finally zipping up your fly, Microsoft, at least on console.

Last edited:

Caffeine

every xbox can turn into a dev kit, i'm sure from that mode you could find a way as they say. I personally dont care if people are playing "backups", its the people that mod their consoles like a jtag 360 just to use mod menus in the old cod games. which exists in bc. ps3 and 360 is like every other lobby some dude hacking online. this is also true for old battlefield games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom