• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Isn’t Happy With The State of Xbox, Jeff Grubb Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Last edited:
Last edited:

onQ123

Saying this before the lock:

Gaming is at a time where games are selling 10 , 15 , 20, 30 million on Sony & Nintendo consoles while no games are breaking 10 & 15 million on Xbox that kinda points to them jumping the gun a little early on the Gamepass model.

Sure it's going to be the way to go one day but they clearly made this move a little too early. Switch is about to have a $70 game do at least 10 million

Lasha

Seems like Hifi rush and state of Xbox are two different things. But your right about the Grubb thread already existing. They locked it BTW.

I'm sure Microsoft will respond soon since Greenberg already talked about Hifi rush.
Both topics were covered in the locked thread. Grubb said even less about Microsoft's opinion than he did about hi-fi rush (which was barely a sentence itself).

Both topics were covered in the locked thread. Grubb said even less about Microsoft's opinion than he did about hi-fi rush (which was barely a sentence itself).

Seems like he was making a reference to hardware sales though. But to be fair I don't think Greenberg could have responded to that due to his position.

MS doesnt really care. They are busy with their cloud gaming.
Considering there is an xbox showcase in 2 month from now, they wont pay that much attention to it.
They will only care about, if there is a huge

I don't know if they will talk about sales during the showcase. Don't remember them doing that before.

feynoob

Banned
I don't know if they will talk about sales during the showcase. Don't remember them doing that before.
They wont, because they dont care about it that much.
What people need to realize is that only MS knows how severe their issues, and how they can combat that.

They didnt even let a peep from Xbox one sales, until we got documents from the CMA.

If WHAT Grubb is saying is true, then Phil or the other management that is responsible for their first party, or console sales would be fired as a response to that.

Lasha

Seems like he was making a reference to hardware sales though. But to be fair I don't think Greenberg could have responded to that due to his position.

It seemed like he was pulling shit out of his ass to fill up a podcast and continue the grift. Did you listen to the original source? It's literally him saying "from what I hear". The fact that those shit quotes generated two threads here and so much buzz on game media shows the state of games journalism.

They wont, because they dont care about it that much.
What people need to realize is that only MS knows how severe their issues, and how they can combat that.

They didnt even let a peep from Xbox one sales, until we got documents from the CMA.

If WHAT Grubb is saying is true, then Phil or the other management that is responsible for their first party, or console sales would be fired as a response to that.

I don't think Phil would be fired regardless. Seems like they are giving him a chance to fix this.

It seemed like he was pulling shit out of his ass to fill up a podcast and continue the grift. Did you listen to the original source? It's literally him saying "from what I hear". The fact that those shit quotes generated two threads here and so much buzz on game media shows the state of games journalism.

Well Greenberg already responded so it was definitely something to them. I'm sure they will respond to his other comments. I don't believe it will be Greenberg though.

Last edited:

onQ123

Me yesterday: " Someone should make a thread so people can talk about what's going on with Xbox "

Jeff Grubb: " Say no more"

GLAPC5k.png

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/npd-...re4-1-mlb-3-and-tlou-5.1655628/post-267851018

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I don't think Phil would be fired regardless. Seems like they are giving him a chance to fix this.
As long as that guy is there, MS wont give that much shit about Xbox. Because the first thing they should do, is get someone else who can be tough on those studios.

Another explanation would be that their focus is on cloud, and that they dont mind the current state of Xbox, as long as they can use it as a gamepass ladder.
Zenimax and Activision is indication of that.

As long as that guy is there, MS wont give that much shit about Xbox. Because the first thing they should do, is get someone else who can be tough on those studios.

Another explanation would be that their focus is on cloud, and that they dont mind the current state of Xbox, as long as they can use it as a gamepass ladder.
Zenimax and Activision is indication of that.

Well if cloud and gamepass are important to them then Xbox is as well. Xbox is a pretty big platform to push those services. I doubt they don't care about platform sales.

Lasha

Well Greenberg already responded so it was definitely something to them. I'm sure they will respond to his other comments. I don't believe it will be Greenberg though.

Responded because Grubb's conjecture was being taken as fact. I doubt any further action is taken. MS has made its statement. The only people looking to validate Grubb now are sad fanboys.

Responded because Grubb's conjecture was being taken as fact. I doubt any further action is taken. MS has made its statement. The only people looking to validate Grubb now are sad fanboys.

I'm just saying Microsoft will talk about hardware just like they have done in past. If all this negativity behind sales isn't true they will respond to it at some point. I'm confident that they will.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Well if cloud and gamepass are important to them then Xbox is as well. Xbox is a pretty big platform to push those services. I doubt they don't care about platform sales.
Which is confusing for me.
They keep saying 100+m players, yada yada, yet they wont hire a competent leadership who can help them achieve that.

Why the hell is aaron greenberg responding to a twitter person, when Xbox could just release a messege about that news? Who allows this shit to happen. A person like that shouldnt be busy responding to a twitter personality. He is the vice president of marketing. He needs to be busy with his job, which is actually promoting Xbox.

Which is confusing for me.
They keep saying 100+m players, yada yada, yet they wont hire a competent leadership who can help them achieve that.

Why the hell is aaron greenberg responding to a twitter person, when Xbox could just release a messege about that news? Who allows this shit to happen. A person like that shouldnt be busy responding to a twitter personality. He is the vice president of marketing. He needs to be busy with his job, which is actually promoting Xbox.

But he is promoting Xbox. Didn't you see all the Xbox ads? Especially the gamepass ones.

Their ads has been light so far.

I've seen plenty of them. Sure its no Axe in the middle of London but there's still plenty of marketing. I'm guessing that's what your making a reference to.

Edit: This thing.

Theres-a-giant-real-life-God-of-War-Leviathan-Axe-now-in-London-1024x576.jpg

But I honestly don't believe ads make a gigantic difference. It mostly boils down to supply and content.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Realistically what is there to be happy about with the state of Xbox? The hardware is getting absolutely slaughtered, the billion dollar franchise they built this business on is a smoking crater, the studios they spent a lot of money to acquire and invest in have borne very little fruit, people are griping (fairly or unfairly) about having to code for Series S, devs are complaining that GP cannibalized sales, and yea they have to hope that this service that they bet it all on doesn’t become a total black hole. What part of this business is working, exactly?

Last edited:

Gaming is at a time where games are selling 10 , 15 , 20, 30 million on Sony & Nintendo consoles while no games are breaking 10 & 15 million on Xbox that kinda points to them jumping the gun a little early on the Gamepass model.

Sure it's going to be the way to go one day but they clearly made this move a little too early. Switch is about to have a $70 game do at least 10 million
There’s not a single hint that gamers are buying less games. This idea that somehow games will be consumed through subscriptions in the future is weird when they have been here for 10 years and gamepass for 5 and at least Sony never sold as many games as right now. Same for Nintendo. Probably steam as well. i don’t see a single platform pushing for their subscription models to be like gamepass.

Ms didn’t get there too soon. They got there because they couldn’t compete at selling games. Gamepass was born out of a necessity for MS in trying to do something the others couldn’t. They weren’t some kind of visionaries that did something ahead of their time.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

Console sales affects those numbers.
The more console you sell, the more userbase that you can get, the more sales you will be able to do.

If Xbox somehow manages to hit 100m console, they will be able to sell more than 15m copies for their first party.

However, if you sell less consoles, you will only able to sell small amount of copies. Since your sale is tied to your % rate of your userbase.

For example, PS4 is 20m copies for 117m console sold. That is 17% ratio. That is why they are able to sell 20m for their games.

Nintendo on other hand depends on their first party, which is why they sell a lot.

onQ123

The more console you sell, the more userbase that you can get, the more sales you will be able to do.

If Xbox somehow manages to hit 100m console, they will be able to sell more than 15m copies for their first party.

However, if you sell less consoles, you will only able to sell small amount of copies. Since your sale is tied to your % rate of your userbase.

For example, PS4 is 20m copies for 117m console sold. That is 17% ratio. That is why they are able to sell 20m for their games.

Nintendo on other hand depends on their first party, which is why they sell a lot.

Halo 1 & 2 sold around 8 million on the OG Xbox with only 24 million sold

Xbox 360 was selling games before it reached the numbers that Xbox One & Xbox Series have out now plus Xbox games also have PC to pad the numbers so it's not limited to the ~ 50 million Xbox Ones & ~ 20 million Series consoles on the market.

LakeOf9

They have released 3 first party titles so far this year with another coming at the beginning of next month. It is objectively false to claim they haven't released any games.
Microsoft's Xbox lineup so far this year has been:

- a port of a 24 year old (but very beloved) PC classic game in a very niche genre
- a spin off game released on every single other system along with Xbox
- a one year late port of a game released exclusively for ps5 before this, with the xbox version ending up worse than the ps version in spite of the 1 year delay
- one actually great game by any metric, but again, smaller and more niche budget priced title

to be clear, this is not me criticizing these games, because except for ghostwire, they are all good. but the "release games" comment is specifically in reference to the fact that you need larger system selling caliber games to sell your system and see success, and those games need to be on your system only. you can't rely on smaller games like pentiment and hi fi rush to sell your console, or on late ports; those are releases you have in the middle of bigger tentpole ones, those tentpole games are what sell your system.

to use another example, nintendo can't sell switch based on just kirby and yoshi and Wii u ports, they need the big mario and zelda and pokemon games, and the other stuff fills in the gaps between those big games. sony cant sell the ps5 on the basis of death stranding director cut or ghost of tsushima director cut, but those can be used to fill in the gaps.

Microsoft only has the fill in the gaps games. the big tentpole games are not there. the last one was halo infinite 18 months ago, and that's not even getting into its quality and post launch support

Not just install base but also the type of consumers you have. Like if you have a large percentage of people that regularly buy games your going to see higher sales due to that.

Microsoft's Xbox lineup so far this year has been:

- a port of a 24 year old (but very beloved) PC classic game in a very niche genre
- a spin off game released on every single other system along with Xbox
- a one year late port of a game released exclusively for ps5 before this, with the xbox version ending up worse than the ps version in spite of the 1 year delay
- one actually great game by any metric, but again, smaller and more niche budget priced title

to be clear, this is not me criticizing these games, because except for ghostwire, they are all good. but the "release games" comment is specifically in reference to the fact that you need larger system selling caliber games to sell your system and see success, and those games need to be on your system only. you can't rely on smaller games like pentiment and hi fi rush to sell your console, or on late ports; those are releases you have in the middle of bigger tentpole ones, those tentpole games are what sell your system.

to use another example, nintendo can't sell switch based on just kirby and yoshi and Wii u ports, they need the big mario and zelda and pokemon games, and the other stuff fills in the gaps between those big games. sony cant sell the ps5 on the basis of death stranding director cut or ghost of tsushima director cut, but those can be used to fill in the gaps.

Microsoft only has the fill in the gaps games. the big tentpole games are not there. the last one was halo infinite 18 months ago, and that's not even getting into its quality and post launch support
So you knew they released games yet claimed they didn't anyway. Got it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It is almost as if they are doing something that stops people from buying their console, as if their decisions and current business practices are... fucking shit! Who woulda thunk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom