• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is reportedly considering bringing Gears of War to PlayStation

solidus12

zwXxA75.png
LieWsUT.jpg
nUnKmpU.jpg
0Zdelbe.jpg
6yv1Bik.jpg

FrankWza

I’m starting to think this is all bullshit. Not Hi-fi Rush, that one is definitely coming. The rest, starting to have doubts.

If not, god save us all.

In for Gears 5, btw.
I agree. I think it's case by case and will be their new acquisitions which are not identifiable with the xbox brand yet. But we're all just having a bit of fun.

Pop

MCC on Playstation will be glorious

Only a matter of time till we hear from devs officially that they are working on such projects

Markio128

I don't think PS gamers talking is as big a deal as people being told to not get an Xbox in the future because the other platform may be getting its games. The Xbox faithful are already there. No way is this a winning strat.
You’re probably right, but i like to see things from all angles.

I think wherever Microsoft decides to port everything depends on how much it would sell on PlayStation.

We might be seeing the end of console wars. I wouldnt be surprised if Sony ports God of War to Xbox in 6 years or so since Jim Ryan decided to follow Xbox steps aith relaesing titles to OC and having PS Plus Catalog.
Sony games are literally bringing people to their ecosystem. Sony has nothing to gain from bringing their games to Xbox. They know that would devalue their brand.

Even their PC releases have been slowing down lately...imagine bringing the games to Xbox.

Mr.Phoenix

The longer it goes on, the more PS gamers talk about Xbox games. Not a stretch really.
Just look at this thread...

Is the sense you are getting from it that people are talking about Xbox games? Or that people are talking about not getting an xbox. Hell... even xbox biggest media pundits are talking about how a PS5pro suddenly seems like a good idea now.

At this rate the only reason anyone can encourage anyone to get an Xbox now is if they prefer the controller.

These are not the kinda rumors to just leave unaddressed. And it's coming from too many different places.

DJ12

Be funny if this was some attempted ruse so they could come out and say we hear you playstation fans. We'll bring these games to playstation which is kind of the narrative xbox fans are trying to spread.

The reality is though no one is saying it as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Markio128

Just look at this thread...

Is the sense you are getting from it that people are talking about Xbox games? Or that people are talking about not getting an xbox. Hell... even xbox biggest media pundits are talking about how a PS5pro suddenly seems like a good idea now.

At this rate the only reason anyone can encourage anyone to get an Xbox now is if they prefer the controller.

These are not the kinda rumors to just leave unaddressed. And it's coming from too many different places.
It was just a passing thought really. I find it incredible that MS would flip-flop like this - but the radio silence certainly isn’t helping.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Dont get me wrong... I am just like you. I play Xbox games on PC. But even worse, I sub to gamepass for like two months in a year and play everything that Xbox has to offer.

The only difference is that I own a PS5. And I don't particularly like gaming on PC. But I don't hate PC gaming enough to justify buying an Xbox to play games that I can also play on the PC for as little as $15/month. For the at most 3 months in a year I would pay for that.

For me it was simple, MS didn't just not give me any reason to own an Xbox, they literally gave me reasons to not own one.
So the real question here is why are they deciding to do this?

It's Microsoft, so all of this boils down to money. A Hi-Fi Rush on PS5 and maybe Switch would expose that game to many more people. PS5 is like what...50 million? Switch...closing in on 100 million? That a lot of potential there. Also if it's not on a subscription service like PS Premium or something...that's even better. Maybe paying a discounted price or something for Gears, Hi Fi and Starfield where I'm sure they lost money on Starfield via gamepass.

If the game has reached saturation on Xbox and PC...this would be akin to what Playstation does with it's titles on PC...but possibly on a much greater scale. It makes good business sense if they play it right.

One thing they need to consider is their own fanbase burying them for the move. It'll all come to a head next gen. Nobody will be buying Xbox unless they truly want Xbox games for less money and on time.

XXL

I’m starting to think this is all bullshit. Not Hi-fi Rush, that one is definitely coming. The rest, starting to have doubts.

If not, god save us all.

In for Gears 5, btw.
I don't think this is fake.

Klobrille just retired. Lol.

"The baseline for being Klobrille always was the trust & credibility of the brand I support and my excitement for the path ahead. All of these three are at an all-time low right now. I've made the decision, depending on what's next or its scale, to take significant steps back and reduce the Klobrille persona, or eventually even retire it. It's a process that started last year already for me, I lack the excitement and energy for what's next, plus I'm shifting my focus to other, non-public things. You'll see when the time has come, but until then, this will likely be my last message here.

Much love. Thanks for everything. 💚

- Klobrille"

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned

"That’s according to Giant Bomb’s Jeff Grubb, who was elaborating on recent claims that Microsoft is working on a new initiative to release more Xbox-exclusive games on other console platforms."
Now we'll see whether those death treats circulating all around the game industry were real. Satya needs to amp up the no of bodyguards : DDD.

Mr.Phoenix

So the real question here is why are they deciding to do this?

It's Microsoft, so all of this boils down to money. A Hi-Fi Rush on PS5 and maybe Switch would expose that game to many more people. PS5 is like what...50 million? Switch...closing in on 100 million? That a lot of potential there. Also if it's not on a subscription service like PS Premium or something...that's even better. Maybe paying a discounted price or something for Gears, Hi Fi and Starfield where I'm sure they lost money on Starfield via gamepass.

If the game has reached saturation on Xbox and PC...this would be akin to what Playstation does with it's titles on PC...but possibly on a much greater scale. It makes good business sense if they play it right.

One thing they need to consider is their own fanbase burying them for the move. It'll all come to a head next gen. Nobody will be buying Xbox unless they truly want Xbox games for less money and on time.
During the acquisition thread saga, I once made a point.

Something along the lines of the fact that the amount of money MS has spent on acquisitions in the last 12 months, equates to more profits than sony and Nintendo has made from gaming in the last 5 years. Combined.

And I said that gamepass, unless it somehow got like 100M subs, and dedicated subs at that, would just not be enough to justify that kinda expense.

This is happening because Xbox hardware sales have failed and gamepass subs have stagnated. I was saying it last year, that we needed to wait till we see what they do with COD this year then we would know the fate of Xbox. But a $350 XSX console still underperforming and stagnating gamepass subs probably accelerated that timeline. And now we are here.

And their fan base? Who are those really? If they had much of that to write home about none of this would be happening now. And like I said to someone else, if this is true... you really believe there will even be an Xbox next gen?

VinnyMac

Ngl give me crackdown while we at it.

Real talk tho. Why don't they just add a gamepass like app to playstation and just pick and choose what to bring?

TrippleA345

"The baseline for being Klobrille always was the trust & credibility of the brand I support and my excitement for the path ahead. All of these three are at an all-time low right now. I've made the decision, depending on what's next or its scale, to take significant steps back and reduce the Klobrille persona, or eventually even retire it. It's a process that started last year already for me, I lack the excitement and energy for what's next, plus I'm shifting my focus to other, non-public things. You'll see when the time has come, but until then, this will likely be my last message here.

- Klobrille"
Fake News, warriors never retire.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
During the acquisition thread saga, I once made a point.

Something along the lines of the fact that the amount of money MS has spent on acquisitions in the last 12 months, equates to more profits than sony and Nintendo has made from gaming in the last 5 years. Combined.

And I said that gamepass, unless it somehow got like 100M subs, and dedicated subs at that, would just not be enough to justify that kinda expense.

This is happening because Xbox hardware sales have failed and gamepass subs have stagnated. I was saying it last year, that we needed to wait till we see what they do with COD this year then we would know the fate of Xbox. But a $350 XSX console still underperforming and stagnating gamepass subs probably accelerated that timeline. And now we are here.

And their fan base? Who are those really? If they had much of that to write home about none of this would be happening now. And like I said to someone else, if this is true... you really believe there will even be an Xbox next gen?
I think they'll do one more generation for console. During that gen, they will try to completely ween people off physical media. It's already begun but I think they'll do it just not to rip the bandaid off too quickly. The console will fail, it will be cheap, no where near as powerful as the PS6. All digital and pushing cloud like a snake oil salesman.

Mr.Phoenix

I think they'll do one more generation for console. During that gen, they will try to completely ween people off physical media. It's already begun but I think they'll do it just not to rip the bandaid off too quickly. The console will fail, it will be cheap, no where near as powerful as the PS6. All digital and pushing cloud like a snake oil salesman.
I really don't see it. Especially if this gen keeps going like its going. They could end this gen having sold less than 40M consoles. Thats only better than the OG Xbox.

And what do they stand to gain by making another Xbox? I can see them making a "Xbox Surface" line and releasing a variant of Windows specifically for gaming and creativity apps. Akin to how we have windows server...etc. Maybe called Windows X. And I would sooner see them try on take on steam than launch a whole new console that would literally at that point... have no exclusives anymore.

Tiamat2san

Best game series ever for me.
If it’s the way to have a GOW trilogy, i am good with it.
Can’t wait for gears 6.

Ar¢tos

Where are our Xbox faithful on here, they all seem to be quiet. Would have loved to get their take on these developments.

Now I almost want this whole thing to be all false just to see them come out in force then.
Some of the most vocal of them are "busy" until February 29th.

anothertech

It seems to me MS is getting ready to announce the departure of hardware business starting this coming gen. I'm betting they will offer a dongle or something with a stadia style controller.

Senjutsusage and Mrxmedia on suicide watch about now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not only is PS and Nintendo not getting GP, but expect major changes to both GP support and day 1 launching into the service in the not too distant future.

Turns out, giving away games is indeed way too expensive.
clay-davis-wire.gif

Welp....guess it really wasn't sustainable...

XXL

Not only is PS and Nintendo not getting GP, but expect major changes to both GP support and day 1 launching into the service in the not too distant future.

Turns out, giving away games is indeed way too expensive.
wedding brooklyn GIF

It never made sense to me and a few others on here.

GHG

- Klobrille"

They're replacing him with AI.

He behaved like a robot for them anyway so it's not like anyone will notice much difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom