• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Isn’t Happy With The State of Xbox, Jeff Grubb Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

There’s not a single hint that gamers are buying less games. This idea that somehow games will be consumed through subscriptions in the future is weird when they have been here for 10 years and gamepass for 5 and at least Sony never sold as many games as right now. Same for Nintendo. Probably steam as well. i don’t see a single platform pushing for their subscription models to be like gamepass.

Ms didn’t get there too soon. They got there because they couldn’t compete at selling games. Gamepass was born out of a necessity for MS in trying to do something the others couldn’t. They weren’t some kind of visionaries that did something ahead of their time.
You might think I'm crazy but at some point someone is going to use over the air antennas or downloading kiosks to feed these games to people at really highspeed & get these games to people so fast that the old way of doing things will just fade away.

LakeOf9

You might think I'm crazy but at some point someone is going to use over the air antennas or downloading kiosks to feed these games to people at really highspeed & get these games to people so fast that the old way of doing things will just fade away.
You are literally having to resort to science fiction, does that not tell you how weak your position is

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nothing makes me want to buy a series X right now.

I hardly use my ps5 as it is 🤣
Only the psvr 2 + gt7 changed it.
I finished horizon forbidden west and had to force myself through it
Ragnarok i still need to play more.

mrmustard

Banned
If people actually cared about grounded they wouldn't count it as a 2022 release because it's been playable for 3 years since 2020. Using it to prop up 2022 wouldn't be on their minds.
Only the final release counts. It was kind of empty earlier. The problem is that Microsoft (since Game Pass) nearly has no marketing while Sony spends crazy money on it and Nintendo doesn't need marketing for selling games. Grounded from Sony with Sony level marketing is an easy >5 million sales.

Flutta

Banned
Why would they? Wasting so much money on studios and services and still can’t manage to outsell a 5 year old HW. GP numbers are stuck somewhere in 25mil.

I would be pissed too. You don’t need Grubb to tell you that! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Weird how the original quote says MS hasn’t released a first party game last year… which is false no matter how you twist it.

Even on GAF people would use caveats like « no AAA exclusive with a high budget first party game » to attempt being correct.

I guess Grubb is a turnsock trying to turn into a PS Twitter mouthpiece?

Brucey

Which is confusing for me.
They keep saying 100+m players, yada yada, yet they wont hire a competent leadership who can help them achieve that.

Why the hell is aaron greenberg responding to a twitter person, when Xbox could just release a messege about that news? Who allows this shit to happen. A person like that shouldnt be busy responding to a twitter personality. He is the vice president of marketing. He needs to be busy with his job, which is actually promoting Xbox.
So apparently his title is VP of Xbox Games Marketing. Bumped up from general manager in Sept 22. I don't know if that also includes hardware marketing. I guess that might explain why there is very little advertising going on in Europe for example. Better to spend those resources in the US where it has its best chance of trying to maintain market share. Rest of world is basically lost and it's fairly early on in the generation.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/aaron...f-games-marketing-jobs-roundup-september-2022

h2KB7HJ.jpg

Brucey

Why would they? Wasting so much money on studios and services and still can’t manage to outsell a 5 year old HW. GP numbers are stuck somewhere in 25mil.

I would be pissed too. You don’t need Grubb to tell you that! 🤦🏻‍♂️
I don't see a big surge of gamepass sub numbers with the announced end to $1 trials.

Ozriel

M$FT
Data point from last year Satya Nadella telling shareholders less than a year ago that Microsoft was happy with Xbox.

This year, Satya and Brad Smith are busy engaging regulators to pass a mega investment in Xbox gaming.

There are things you people don’t need anyone to debunk for you. It’s a fact that MS isn’t happy with the state of Halo, for example. You can see it in the sweeping changes at 343. But most other studios are seeing expansion, increased investment, and they’re pushing Gamepass and XCloud to even more countries.

Fredrik

Well they shouldn’t be. Slowest Xbox generation ever when it comes to games output. I think they have like 18 studios who hasn’t released a thing this generation. And they lost Moon and essentially killed Ori. Everything big is first person too. And they made sure 30fps came back into the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom