• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft made an amazing showcase, so many lovely games BUT !

Foilz

Banned
Lolol wtf is wrong with gamers. Y'all bitch that games are on discs, then bitch there are no discs and bitch about that again, then bitch that Xbox is fps shooters then bitch it's RPGs then bitch games are too short now bitch games are too long. Just stop playing games and read a book

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Sounded like you were saying they’re boring and Starfield won’t be good until mods. 🤷‍♂️
waynes-world-wayne.gif

feynoob

I don't get it, Microsoft are breaking the rules or cheating? They bought a lot of RPG devs in Obsidian, In-Exile, and Bethesda. Frankly, what they showed barely even look like RPGs compared to some of their past games.
If starfield isn't rpg, I don't know what rpg is anymore.
I blame those Ubisoft games that made people think open world is just an rpg.

HighPoly

Banned
Well, please don't misunderstand...
The Showcase was GREAT ! ! ! Next gen graphics! Amazing!
But RPG seems to be the next Microsoft bet!

mrabott

Those are boring now. You play them for 15-20 hours and then they collect dust on your shelf. People are going to be playing TOTK for YEARS. And when Starfield gets mods? Holy shit.
Say it for yourself, I much prefer playing 10 different games with their own stories than endlessly replaying one or another game.

Gone

Banned
Microsoft could find a cure for cancer and people would complain.

That's why they can't "win" in this market.

Chukhopops

MS first party target was always to build a WRPG powerhouse, that’s why they bought Obsidian, Bethesda, InXile.

They are basically two developers away (Larian and Owlcat) from completely cornering that segment (which I hope doesn’t happen as there needs to be multiplat options).

I think it’s not an issue as all the games shown will play completely differently due to the devs having different philosophies.

The problem is me, or you guys agree with me?
The problem is that the majority of games are RPG, you know?
Space RPG, Middle Earth RPG, First Person Middle Earth RPG, and more and more RPG.
I mean, even taking a look to the future, there's coming another RPG, Elder Scrolls 6 !
The third person single player experience is a scripted linear game.
I think Microsoft is trying to pick up a specific type of gamers who don't find these kind of games on Playstation anymore.
What do you think?
MS has some of the best WRPG studios in the world, so they will continue to RPG.
Outside of that you have some of the best FPS and shooters in the world like Doom., Quake, Wolfenstien, Halo and Gears.

We then have the two best car racing franchises in Forza Horizon and Forza Horizon.
They have some great online games like Sea Of Thieves, Minecraft,.State Of Decay, ESO, Fallout 76, Grounded and Forza Horizon.
They have smaller type games from Double Fine, games like Pentament and their Xbox Global Publishing ones.

Xbox has the most diverse range of games there is.
Maybe Xbox has a more WRPG focus, just like Sony has a more third person adventure type game.

HighPoly

Banned
MS has some of the best WRPG studios in the world, so they will continue to RPG.
Outside of that you have some of the best FPS and shooters in the world like Doom., Quake, Wolfenstien, Halo and Gears.

We then have the two best car racing franchises in Forza Horizon and Forza Horizon.
They have some great online games like Sea Of Thieves, Minecraft,.State Of Decay, ESO, Fallout 76, Grounded and Forza Horizon.
They have smaller type games from Double Fine, games like Pentament and their Xbox Global Publishing ones.

Xbox has the most diverse range of games there is.
Maybe Xbox has a more WRPG focus, just like Sony has a more third person adventure type game.
yes, that's true!
I'm looking for a Xbox console soon!
But I'm waiting to make some money cause I have a PS5 Digital now, and I've recently bought some action figures.
I mean, 4 of them... Green Goblin by TOYS ERA, Doctor Octopus by PW TOYS and two more Spider Man by Beast Kingdom.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think Microsoft is trying to pick up a specific type of gamers who don't find these kind of games on Playstation anymore.
What do you think?

You mean the type that enjoys playing their games instead of watching them?

Nintendo caters to the same audience.

Last edited:

ungalo

I love WRPG so it's not a problem for me on the contrary. The problem is that Starfield looks fantastic and it's the first thing we are going to play. The rest will probably suck after that.

Fable didn't interest me one bit. Avowed's presentation was terrible. The inXile game was alright but even this one i'm not fond of the visual style/art design, looks rather dull. And all those games are far away.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
That has been my expectation, I mean it’s those kind of studios they’ve been buying. Would be strange to have them make something else that they’re not good at. I don’t think anyone want more RedFall’s.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
That has been my expectation, I mean it’s those kind of studios they’ve been buying. Would be strange to have them make something else that they’re not good at. I don’t think anyone want more RedFall’s.
I loved the showcase!
I'm really looking for a Xbox Series X as soon as possible!
specially because I'll never forgive me if BETHESDA announce another DOOM, The Evil Within, Quake, while I don't have a Xbox until that!

yes, that's true!
I'm looking for a Xbox console soon!
But I'm waiting to make some money cause I have a PS5 Digital now, and I've recently bought some action figures.
I mean, 4 of them... Green Goblin by TOYS ERA, Doctor Octopus by PW TOYS and two more Spider Man by Beast Kingdom.
There's no hurry to buy an Xbox yet.
Starfield and Forza arnt out till the end of the year, and even after that they will still be there.

Moses85

For me it was the same kind of amazing like the Sony showcase.

Hype, hype and more hype from leakers, PRs and other id***

season 10 episode 22 GIF

Starfield 👍🏻
Fable 👍🏻
RE4 VR 👍🏻

Hellblade 2

Cracking Up Lol GIF

So much potential and zero output

Sorcerer

It looks like Microsoft is trying hard to become the king of the rpg genre. I wonder if that's how they want to define their platform in the future? They have certainly lost the FPS plot.

It looks like Microsoft is trying hard to become the king of the rpg genre. I wonder if that's how they want to define their platform in the future? They have certainly lost the FPS plot.
How so? They have idSoftware, 343 and MachineGames that usually make FPS titles. Just because we haven't seen the next DOOM, Wolfenstein 3 and a new Halo doesn't mean they lost an FPS front.

Sony doesn't even do FPS whatsoever. They only had Killzone and we haven't had one in a decade. Sony mostly does Third Person Action Games.

MS does WRPGs and FPS. But are lacking in the Third Person Action games. Gears is the only one, but it's nowhere near enough.

Sorcerer

How so? They have idSoftware, 343 and MachineGames that usually make FPS titles. Just because we haven't seen the next DOOM, Wolfenstein 3 and a new Halo doesn't mean they lost an FPS front.

Sony doesn't even do FPS whatsoever. They only had Killzone and we haven't had one in a decade. Sony mostly does Third Person Action Games.

MS does WRPGs and FPS. But are lacking in the Third Person Action games. Gears is the only one, but it's nowhere near enough.
Xbox used to be the bro, FPS console, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. Your probably right, I guess their games on that front will come sooner or later.
I guess the push in this direction is rather surprising because you were in the wrong place for Rpgs (for the most part) if you were on Xbox in the past.

Xbox used to be the bro, FPS console, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. Your probably right, I guess their games on that front will come sooner or later.
I guess the push in this direction is rather surprising because you were in the wrong place for Rpgs (for the most part) if you were on Xbox in the past.
Yeah, I'll agree that Xbox used to be the "Dude Bro" console, especially in the 360 days.

However, back then they really just had Call of Duty marketing under their wing along with Halo 3 and Halo 4 releases.

Overtime though, Halo got worse and worse and then CoD marketing went to Sony. So they lost that FPS flair a bit. But now with the purchase of Machine Games and idSoftware they can get back into the "Dude bro" days. And if the Activision Blizzard deal ever gets closed, CoD will be theirs forever marketing wise and all that.

Also, don't forget there have been rumors of a Quake reboot. We also haven't seen the next DOOM or even Wolfenstein 3 as I previously said. Although, I believe MachineGames is working on a Indiana Jones game as of right now, but I don't believe it's an FPS.

As far as RPGs go on Xbox, the OG Xbox and 360 had Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. So they did have a decent pocket of a RPGs already. But now with Obsidian and Bethesda purchsses it's much much stronger.

We have Starfield, Fable, The Outer Worlds 2, Elder Scrolls 6 and Awoved. With Fallout 5 in the future. Xbox is WRPG king now.

Last edited:

Ribi

All I hear from you is RPG RPG RPG. Name 5 games that spoke to you OP. This was a top heavy showcase carried by 1 game. We need e3 back because this trickling of shit with only one big title every video is awful

Sorcerer

Yeah, I'll agree that Xbox used to be the "Dude Bro" console, especially in the 360 days.

However, back then they really just had Call of Duty marketing under their wing along with Halo 3 and Halo 4 releases.

Overtime though, Halo got worse and worse and then CoD marketing went to Sony. So they lost that FPS flair a bit. But now with the purchase of Machine Games and idSoftware they can get back into the "Dude bro" days. And if the Activision Blizzard deal ever gets closed, CoD will be theirs forever marketing wise and all that.

Also, don't forget there have been rumors of a Quake reboot. We also haven't seen the next DOOM or even Wolfenstein 3 as I previously said. Although, I believe MachineGames is working on a Indiana Jones game as of right now, but I don't believe it's an FPS.

As far as RPGs go on Xbox, the OG Xbox and 360 had Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. So they did have a decent pocket of a RPGs already. But now with Obsidian and Bethesda purchsses it's much much stronger.

We have Starfield, Fable, The Outer Worlds 2, Elder Scrolls 6 and Awoved. With Fallout 5 in the future. Xbox is WRPG king now.
I remember the OG xbox actually had Shin Megami Tensi 9 (Japan release) which never seems to have left that system. I wanted a translastion pretty bad at the time. Strange to think about.

Last edited:
I remember the OG xbox actually had Shin Megami Tensi 9 (Japan release) which never seems to have left that system. I wanted a translastion pretty bad at the time. Strange to think about.
Believe it or not I've never played any of those games or Persona titles. Just never had interest. I do miss Blie Dragon though and Lost Odessey as far as JRPGs go.

Sorcerer

Believe it or not I've never played any of those games or Persona titles. Just never had interest. I do miss Blie Dragon though and Lost Odessey as far as JRPGs go.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was amazing (for me at least)
I don't like what Atlus has become with nickel and diming with microtransactions, it's pretty bad. Looking at the list of extra stuff for Soul Hackers 2 is just mind boggling. I wonder if those are strictly Atlus decisions, or if Sega has a hand in that?

Last edited:
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was amazing (for me at least)
I don't like what Atlus has become with nickel and diming with microtransactions, it's pretty bad. Looking at the list of extra stuff for Soul Hackers 2 is just mind boggling. I wonder if those are strictly Atlus decisions, or if Sega has a hand in that?
I would have absolutely 0 clue as I'd don't really follow up much with Atlas or Sega. The only Japanese publishers I really follow are Square and Capcom.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Those are boring now. You play them for 15-20 hours and then they collect dust on your shelf. People are going to be playing TOTK for YEARS. And when Starfield gets mods? Holy shit.
Most of us have no interest in playing the same game for years though. I view games the same way I view books and movies, they're meant to be transient experiences that you enjoy and move on from, and on rare occasion one comes up where you may replay it periodically because the story was fantastic. There are thousands of games out there, why latch on to one? I'd be curious to see some stats on how many games have players with thousands of hours invested, because I'm assuming it's probably a fraction of a single percent of all players that do this.

Top Bottom