• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Xbox division is like Anakin ready to try and jump over Obi-Wan... Young, proud and stupid, trying one last desperate move in a position of absolute weakness to beat an older wiser adversary in a lost fight.

The sad thing is that he was always stronger and very promising, he should have been the better and biggest of all but made all the wrong moves under bad influence/leadership and very poor decisions driven by pride and fear of loosing.

Fredrik

Unfortunately for Microsoft, this will not stop me from letting my Gamepass sub lapse in September. COD on gamepass represents a good deal for those who already have gamepass and a bad deal for everyone else. If you only play COD, subbing to gamepass is a bad deal because you'll end up paying 3x the price to play the game that you could have bought outright. If you play COD along with a variety of other games and aren't currently subscribed to gamepass, it's unlikely you'll do so for COD. Why? Because up until the announcement of COD, the gamepass lineup failed to prove enticing enough to subscribe.

Frankly, this just appears to me like a desperate hail mary play and a poorly thought out one at that. Over time, xbox has trained their user base not to buy games but instead subscribe. This has lead to a drop in game purchases on the platform, hardware purchases on the platform, etc. This is going to be a huge error that they'll never recover from. When this eventually blows up and they try to go back to selling COD a la carte, people just won't buy it in the same numbers. I expect xbox to get an initial uptick from this and then a slow decline to a worse position than where they started.

Bobby K said himself, game subscription services are value destructive. Thus will almost certainly kill what's left of xbox and lead to demise of the executives that greenlight this endeavor. Gamepass will not offset the sales revenue and this will have a negative effect on COD sales on other platforms. You can bookmark this post. In 3 years, this will go down as perhaps the worst idea in the history of Xbox.

Finally, after trying Gamepass for 3 years, I've arrived at the conclusion that it offers no value. Microsoft studios for the most part release very poor by the numbers games. The second reason is that Games are not like music, TV shows, or movies. It's hard for the average person to juggle multiple games at once. As a result, it's more cost effective to just purchase the games you want. The average gamer purchases 2-3 games per year and owns about 10 games at the end of the console generation. As a result, it makes 0 financial sense to subscribe to a games service. I purchased a series s for my brother and sister in law while letting them use my gamepass subscription. They barely use it. I let my other brother use my gamepass for his pc and he barely uses it. When he does, it's to play the same set of games with his wife. In the end, I just gifted him the games on steam.

I wish Microsoft best of luck but, it's hard for me to see how this works out positively. In an Era where epic and sony give away games for free, game prices drop quickly after release, the biggest games like fortnite are free, it's hard to make a compelling argument to subscribe to a games service.
If you don’t want that then vote with your wallet and buy the games. Go with Steam, Valve is the good guy, for now.

I think the whole industry will transition to subscription services and platform independent launchers. Likely exclusively so within a decade. Some publishers will have subs for individual games, a Call of Duty sub is not unlikely, some will go for a subscription library, some will license out their games to bigger subscription providers, some will have higher tier subs for expansions included, etc.

Having to juggle different launchers and accounts and subscriptions is going to be annoying. But what can we do? If I buy something then I do it on Steam, that’s my only contribution to a less fractured future. But I’m not ready to carry the whole industry on my shoulders. If I see that I can use a cheap sub deal to play a game I know I’ll likely only play once, then that’s what I’m going to do.

DragonNCM

Xbox division is like Anakin ready to try and jump over Obi-Wan... Young, proud and stupid, trying one last desperate move in a position of absolute weakness to beat an older wiser adversary in a lost fight.

The sad thing is that he was always stronger and very promising, he should have been the better and biggest of all but made all the wrong moves under bad influence/leadership and very poor decisions driven by pride and fear of loosing.
yeah...but we all know how that ends........UNLIMETED POWER...erhhhh....UNLIMETED MONEY !!!
giphy.gif

Would be better to wait until a new console launch. COD on gamepass is not enough to push people to buy new Xbox series consoles f they already have a PS5, and unless gamepass comes to Steam, there is little interest in gamepass on pc.

Might help people switch when new consoles launch though.

I say this as someone who owns every console and a pc, but prefer playing on Xbox.

Cyberpunkd

I mean - given how shit their console is selling you can make a case it won't be THAT big of a revenue loss there. Anyone can run the numbers given historic install base and % of it buying CoD? e.g.

We have 20mln consoles, 10% attach rate = 2mln sold * price (digital/retail split) = revenue, etc.

I mean - given how shit their console is selling you can make a case it won't be THAT big of a revenue loss there. Anyone can run the numbers given historic install base and % of it buying CoD? e.g.

We have 20mln consoles, 10% attach rate = 2mln sold * price (digital/retail split) = revenue, etc.
There is no negative here for us Gamepass subscribers so don't bother with the percentages.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hope they add some of the older games to Game Pass too. I’ve never played a CoD, but I’ve been really interested in trying some of the shorter campaigns from older games.

As for whether or not this is a good business move by MS, I personally don’t give a crap. I’ve never bought a CoD game, so getting it for “free” on game pass is just some icing for me. That’s pretty cool.

A.Romero

Just recently an indie game released on gamepass day 1 and still topped the steam chart.

The idea of perceived value is not as impactful as some think. It's just a matter of preference for the mass market IMO.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In my opinion gamepass didn't killed Xbox (I'm not even sure Xbox is actually dead when in a different sense than the rebranding for Microsoft gaming).

If they are rebranding Xbox to "Microsoft Gaming", then by definition the Xbox would be dead....... :messenger_neutral:

And yet they just closed a few studios. It's almost as my university teacher said: "The rich are rich because they don't spend their money".
Unless you are Microsoft. They have more money than most countries GDP in the world and they also bring in billions every quarter... like I said they will be just fine.

Griffon

This is the scary part of this whole ordeal. If MS manages to use this to convert a significant portion of game buyers into subscribers, the industry is beyond fucked.
Good side is that if it fails, gamepass is toast.

Yea……pay for one month and cancel the next
I don't know if you are new or don't play COD but people buy the game and play it through the entire year and then get the next COD, it's a never-ending cycle. So, a sub service to get all COD's including the latest is a no brainer. I'm sure they will do the 30 dollar upgrade to vanguard edition and deeper discounts on bundles etc.

I have quite a few friends that got PS5's simply because they got access to COD early and exclusive skins etc. Now that that's done, they are all going back to Xbox and are happy because they prefer the xbox controller and online communities over PS.

I don't know if you are new or don't play COD but people buy the game and play it through the entire year and then get the next COD, it's a never-ending cycle. So, a sub service to get all COD's including the latest is a no brainer. I'm sure they will do the 30 dollar upgrade to vanguard edition and deeper discounts on bundles etc.

I have quite a few friends that got PS5's simply because they got access to COD early and exclusive skins etc. Now that that's done, they are all going back to Xbox and are happy because they prefer the xbox controller and online communities over PS.
I'm not new to cod, I bought MW3 and beat the story and didn't even bother to play the multiplayer, since the story mode left a bad taste in my mouth.

Top Bottom