• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

splattered

They can put it on gamepass but I'm still gonna buy it.dont forget GP also let's you buy the battle passes and stuff on a game you download off of gamepass so they will still get the revenue from that plus all the skins and stuff. Hell, they might even get more people buying the battle pass and spending money on skins if they are downloading the base game. It could end up being a wash revenue wise except now they have way more players brought into the ecosystem that Wil end up spending money on other games etc. Probably a big fat 50/50 here. Big gamble.

NickFire

Sorry. I’m wrong. The deranged lunatics who do nothing but doom post about Microsoft and the evils of gamepass aren’t upset.

You’re right. They are absolutely giddy, for some reason.
The persecution complex is ridiculous.

This is an enthusiast forum. Everyone here is more interested in gaming / gaming industry than the average joe. That means people share their opinions on gaming stuff here. So yeah, when big things happen in this sphere people will share their thoughts and opinions. Sometimes people will disagree. No need to cry about it.

Calverz

Gold Member
qr47fY9.jpeg

Sorry. I’m wrong. The deranged lunatics who do nothing but doom post about Microsoft and the evils of gamepass aren’t upset.

You’re right. They are absolutely giddy, for some reason. Whether COD was in gamepass, or wasn’t in Gamepass.. they would be giddy about it and doom posting all the same.
Name them. Provide examples. Prove your point.

Last edited:

laynelane

I think they are banking on a large proportion of the shortfall being made up by sales on other platforms.

But yes, if they didn't follow through on the gamepass promise that they made multiple times throughout the fight to get the acquisition over the line then there probably wouldn't have been any way back from them in terms of trust and public perception.

That's my take on it, as well. They're going to really be relying on sales on other platforms if they go through with this. I wonder if there would be extra consequences due to that too - eg. increasing the price of the game, more delay on sales, more MTX and DLC, etc.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Only diehard xbox fans are saying the industry is dying, the rest of us have the sense, logic and critical thinking ability to see it's just xbox thats dying.

You must be talking about twitter/YT personalities looking for clicks, idk any “diehard Xbox fan” who thinks the industry is dying. But in this thread alone you have numerous people posting about the death of the industry.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You must be talking about twitter/YT personalities looking for clicks, idk any “diehard Xbox fan” who thinks the industry is dying. But in this thread alone you have numerous people posting about the death of the industry.

Alanah Pearce is a diehard xbox fan, I did not know that.

//DEVIL//

Brilliant move to be honest.

PS5 owners will continue to buy it
People who buy call of duty and don’t like game pass will just buy it and ignore game pass
People that don’t buy call of duty is not a money loss for MS since they weren’t planning to buy the game anyway , but at least now they can try it and maybe they get hooked into it. That is a potential new customer.

People that don’t buy call of duty because they are afraid it’s a waste of money they will sub and try it for few months .

welshrat

I admit I am old and cod doesn't have the same pull that it used to for me, however this does feel like the final throw of the dice for them and I am not sure it will work. Microsoft always seen to buy things when they are part their sell by date.

Klayzer

Who exactly are the gaf members who are upset about this?
The ones that exist only in your imagination?
You're the first poster in this thread to mention emotions of any kind.

This post belongs in the dictionary right next to the word disengenous.
I never get discussion equals being upset.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The whole point of buying Bethesda and Activision was for Game Pass content.

I would say getting the gaming division a guaranteed multi-billion dollar revenue stream was probably more important, but yes, a positive tangent of it is a lot of game pass content.

This seems like a bad idea. I guess the strategy is to convince more people to sub to Gamepass--that's always been Xbox's chief concern since GP's inception. But they're simultaneously ceding actual sales on both Xbox and PC while devaluing the IP.

For nearly two decades, Call Of Duty has been the most premiere IP in the gaming sphere, selling ridiculous amounts of units across multiple platforms and making ABK Scrooge McDuck levels of money.

Given how many people are already subbed to Gamepass, will putting CoD on there make enough unsubbed gamers pull the trigger on it to weather the combination of lost sales and diluted value? Given how pervasive CoD is in the industry, I can't see there being many gamers in the "I've never played CoD but I'll try it if it's on Gamepass" camp. Maybe us naysayers will be all wrong when the dust settles, but this just reeks of desperation. Xbox does not seem to understand that there is a ceiling. You can't have unlimited growth. Like any other product, Gamepass has a ceiling. It may have hit that already during Covid. Then again, it may not have. The ceiling could be higher, and the addition of CoD to the GP lineup may facilitate Xbox reaching that. But will that be enough to move Xbox from the "sustainable" position to a "healthy" one?

It's very unclear. This is going to cost them software sales, perhaps significantly. It will also move the biggest IP in gaming into a mindshare of less-premium. But then, ABK had been doing that some already with Warzone before Xbox came along and bought them.

Time will tell how this all plays out. I for one am worried. I'm a PS only gamer, but if this fails it could potentially harm the industry not just Xbox. That would be bad for gaming. And I'm not convinced PlayStation having no real competition is a positive thing.

I don't see this doing anything for their console sales but it will probably lead to a spike in GP subs depending on how MS handles the tier prices.

This is probably going to tank their overall revenue though and perhaps MS feels its worth the risk. I'm curious to see how this turns out but I'm not convinced it will have an overall positive outcome like MS wants.

Last edited:
And... this is why Xbox is failing. It's your biggest game, yet you're not going to sell the game on your own console so you can at least make some profit. But you're willing to put it on failing Game Pass where your subscription numbers are falling?

SRTtoZ

CoD unit sales will drop off, but if they can get people to sub for a year at $10.99 for CoD, then they'll make more per player than they are now, right? Does that math math?
Apparently they’re putting new tiers on GP and CoD will only be available at top tier so probably around $20/mo. This is going yo bomb spectacularly IMO. People who play CoD MP play it for a while. Why would you sub when you could buy it and own it for the next few years? Crazy.

jorgejjvr

And... this is why Xbox is failing. It's your biggest game, yet you're not going to sell the game on your own console so you can at least make some profit. But you're willing to put it on failing Game Pass where your subscription numbers are falling?
Its still going to sell on PC and PS5, its even going to sell on Xbox, some people still buy games on Xbox.

But what you are failing to see, is that what they miss on $70 day 1, they can get back very quickly if people either a. Stay subbed for at least 3 months or b. Buy in game battle passes, cosmetics, skins etc

They are counting that now that there will be a lower barrier to entry, there will be MORE people willing to try cod, and more people means more people you can sell in game items. This is how free to play games thrive, via battle passes and cosmetics, not by charging upfront. The more people you can get in the door, the better

More gamepass subscribers wont be bad for them either, plus gamepass price will go up.

Honestly its a win win. A LOT of people will still buy the game upfront, some will sub to gamepass, and plenty of people will buy a snoop dog skin lol

By the way, the Cod making the MOST money is Warzone and cod mobile, and both of those are free

Last edited:

Bridges

A few things here:

1. Most people will still buy it. Not everyone on Xbox/PC has game pass and everyone on PlayStation will still be buying a copy

2. Warzone is F2P and wildly successful. It removes the barrier for entry to get people paying for microtransactions and we could see something similar here

3. If anyone keeps their Game Pass subscription for more than 3 months, they've extracted more money from the player than if they had purchased it outright (and they don't even own it, so they might still buy it later). CoD is usually really good with their content cadence and I think the amount of people that will sub for one month and never play again is grossly overestimated. Even if it's absolute shit it will have crazy MAY

We're in weird territory here. This could end up being a mistake but in my mind this seems like the PERFECT kind of game for GP. Everybody loves it, annual release and ultra high player retention. It should do very well to drive subs. Either way, October will be the highest spike of GP subscriptions ever and I can guarantee that.

You’re right. They are absolutely giddy, for some reason. Whether COD was in gamepass, or wasn’t in Gamepass.. they would be giddy about it and doom posting all the same.

You probably need to take a break chief. Your taking this too personal. It's not that serious.

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Now MSFT will collect all the COD players' souls and open the hell gates to summon some lvl 32 demons.

Apparently they’re putting new tiers on GP and CoD will only be available at top tier so probably around $20/mo. This is going yo bomb spectacularly IMO. People who play CoD MP play it for a while. Why would you sub when you could buy it and own it for the next few years? Crazy.

I imagine it will be about the same revenue compared to buying CoD plus console MP, and that's where the price hike comes in. But the morons on Wall Street want to see subscriber growth even if it doesn't increase profits.

Edit: I assume it will be a higher tier than GPU is now.

Last edited:

Yoda

Outside of King, they're basically destroying most of the value of their acquisition. One of the most extreme instance of sunk cost fallacy I've seen.

NEbeast

This doesn't make sense. Anyone who buys COD and only plays that isn't going to sub to gamepass and pay more over the year than they would outright buying the game. They're going to lose out on sales from people who would usually buy the game for the campaign and then put it down.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This doesn't make sense. Anyone who buys COD and only plays that isn't going to sub to gamepass and pay more over the year than they would outright buying the game. They're going to lose out on sales from people who would usually buy the game for the campaign and then put it down.
With how the campaign has been recently how big do we figure that market is anyhow?

Then weigh that against how many people usually do not buy COD but will try it on Gamepass and possibly throw money into the in game store?

James Harden Reaction GIF by NBA

Taur007

I think we are all underestimating the value of cod on GP honestly, everyone's scared about a small chunk of xbox sales from the latest game ONLY. Now imagine when they add ALL of the past titles, the money they'll make from dlc/map packs will be a nice suprise. Hell i skipped out on Vangaurd, Cold War and WW2 so i'll be going back to play those and i'm pretty sure i'm going to spend some coin, now imagine the people going back to 360 era cods just from zombies alone!

reinking

Gold Member
I think we are all underestimating the value of cod on GP honestly, everyone's scared about a small chunk of xbox sales from the latest game ONLY. Now imagine when they add ALL of the past titles, the money they'll make from dlc/map packs will be a nice suprise. Hell i skipped out on Vangaurd, Cold War and WW2 so i'll be going back to play those and i'm pretty sure i'm going to spend some coin, now imagine the people going back to 360 era cods just from zombies alone!
Maybe. I do believe this move is going to tell us all, MS included, if Game Pass is going to work in its current state. If COD does not push it to what MS considers a success there is little else out there that will.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Insane if you ask me.

Probably the most expensive (and risky) Hail Mary of all time across the industry.

I would venture to guess that a rather significant portion of CoD players only buy that one game per year. It’s literally all they play

For them, GamePass isn’t such a good deal.

I don’t think this decision move the needle much at all. I also expect it will come with a hefty price increase

The higher-ups will get what they want! They have been saying for years now they are all in on Game Pass. Well, nothing demonstrates that more following the acquisition than putting CoD on it. If this doesn't significantly move the needle for them, that's basically it for finding new ways to increase subs.

It quite literally does not get any bigger than CoD. Personally, seeing how little Starfield helped last year, I'm thinking this won't have the results they think it will, beyond of course limiting individual sales of the game on Xbox consoles.

If it were me, I would put back-catalogue CoD and Blizzard games on Game Pass, and never the brand new CoD entries. I'd wait 12-18 months.
They got Bethesda, who owns some of the most popular Rpg ips we've ever seen in TES & Fallout and it didn't move the needle one bit and basically put them in desperation mode, where they created a new base GP tier and converted every remaining Xbl gold sub into that tier(obviously to increase GP subs, because nothing else could). I don't see Cod moving the needle by more than a millimeter let alone an inch.

Besides, by the looks of things, most of cod's largest audience exists on Pc on PS and if the recent leaks by some of the biggest sources on the internet, didn't do anything to push their subs, I don't see how a formal announcement would do anything differently. Also, putting a newer title on GP would sink that game's sales, potentially and ABK is their only subsidiary that is s massive moneymaker. I just don't see how putting cod on gp(especially a newer title), would do anything other than harm the earning potential for that title (besides the money made by their predatory mtx of course). Let's see where this actually takes things.

Last edited:
what if, they don’t even offer the game as a one time purchase. diabolically brilliant.
that's MS's dilemma. GP will never have substantial growth as long as there are other ways to access games. And the growth they had within their ecosystem, killed it's economy.

GP It's acting like a cancer, which is ironic because it could very well have been the savior of the AA/AAA industry

A few things here:

1. Most people will still buy it. Not everyone on Xbox/PC has game pass and everyone on PlayStation will still be buying a copy

2. Warzone is F2P and wildly successful. It removes the barrier for entry to get people paying for microtransactions and we could see something similar here

3. If anyone keeps their Game Pass subscription for more than 3 months, they've extracted more money from the player than if they had purchased it outright (and they don't even own it, so they might still buy it later). CoD is usually really good with their content cadence and I think the amount of people that will sub for one month and never play again is grossly overestimated. Even if it's absolute shit it will have crazy MAY

We're in weird territory here. This could end up being a mistake but in my mind this seems like the PERFECT kind of game for GP. Everybody loves it, annual release and ultra high player retention. It should do very well to drive subs. Either way, October will be the highest spike of GP subscriptions ever and I can guarantee that.
Everyone who plays it on Xbox will probably already have GP because they play online and it's a requirement to have GP Core, now some may upgrade to GPU for the game although I'm sure the majority of them already have that in the first place.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

It will impact sales to a degree but I don't think as much as some believe. It will still sell well on PlayStation and Microsoft also made a commitment to put COD on Nintendo systems for 10 years. The game being on the Switch 2 will provide an additional large player base that wasn't in play in prior generations recently.

Fredrik

I’ll believe it when I see it. Sarah Bond didn’t say ”Yes.” at the direct question in that interview when specifically asked about Call of Duty. She said ”The whole slate.” Which could come with some fine print *** and special requirement, like having an even higher tier sub than Ultimate or delays or just the old games.
I’ll celebrate when I see an install button.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for Microsoft, this will not stop me from letting my Gamepass sub lapse in September. COD on gamepass represents a good deal for those who already have gamepass and a bad deal for everyone else. If you only play COD, subbing to gamepass is a bad deal because you'll end up paying 3x the price to play the game that you could have bought outright. If you play COD along with a variety of other games and aren't currently subscribed to gamepass, it's unlikely you'll do so for COD. Why? Because up until the announcement of COD, the gamepass lineup failed to prove enticing enough to subscribe.

Frankly, this just appears to me like a desperate hail mary play and a poorly thought out one at that. Over time, xbox has trained their user base not to buy games but instead subscribe. This has lead to a drop in game purchases on the platform, hardware purchases on the platform, etc. This is going to be a huge error that they'll never recover from. When this eventually blows up and they try to go back to selling COD a la carte, people just won't buy it in the same numbers. I expect xbox to get an initial uptick from this and then a slow decline to a worse position than where they started.

Bobby K said himself, game subscription services are value destructive. Thus will almost certainly kill what's left of xbox and lead to demise of the executives that greenlight this endeavor. Gamepass will not offset the sales revenue and this will have a negative effect on COD sales on other platforms. You can bookmark this post. In 3 years, this will go down as perhaps the worst idea in the history of Xbox.

Finally, after trying Gamepass for 3 years, I've arrived at the conclusion that it offers no value. Microsoft studios for the most part release very poor by the numbers games. The second reason is that Games are not like music, TV shows, or movies. It's hard for the average person to juggle multiple games at once. As a result, it's more cost effective to just purchase the games you want. The average gamer purchases 2-3 games per year and owns about 10 games at the end of the console generation. As a result, it makes 0 financial sense to subscribe to a games service. I purchased a series s for my brother and sister in law while letting them use my gamepass subscription. They barely use it. I let my other brother use my gamepass for his pc and he barely uses it. When he does, it's to play the same set of games with his wife. In the end, I just gifted him the games on steam.

I wish Microsoft best of luck but, it's hard for me to see how this works out positively. In an Era where epic and sony give away games for free, game prices drop quickly after release, the biggest games like fortnite are free, it's hard to make a compelling argument to subscribe to a games service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom