• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft really doesnt give a shit about pushing the medium forward. Their approach to winning the gen will reduce the quality of GAMES

Is Matt Damon right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

WHgLudE.gif

I swear man...."cinematic games" is the new "too many trees". lol

Y'all need some more better ammo.
I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Sony and MS, and own both Series X and PS5. I came here from GameFaqs hoping I'd see less of this petty console wars bullshit, but here we are knee deep in the muck. So when I see lop-sided tribalism, which seems to be heavily in favor for Playstation here, I try to balance it back out.

clampzyn

Series S is screwing everyone. There's a reason there are not many games that come to the Switch. Developers and gamers want innovation and improvement. If PS5 and Series X are 50 steps above PS4/One, why would we need to settle for just 10 steps due to Series S?
Are you one of the people talking about how Series S is helding back next gen? Why not ask developers how many graphical options they need to implement for PC builds coz as far as I know Series S has better hardware inside it than most casual PC builds have, while on current gen consoles they only need to cater for S/X hardware and use 1 or 2 graphical options for each console. Just look at UE4/5 built games, they need to use more time and resource just to minimize the stutter fest on PC while they definitely have zero to no problem on consoles.

Having a next-gen games isn't just about having better hardware for devs to develop for, if we all have the same gaming rig/console hardware, we'll probably be seeing much better games today because they don't need to use their budget on testing on multiple gpus/cpus combination to make their game run the best it can for each platform.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
This was the moment everything changed for them. The moment they changed focus from games to experiences, to now services. Since this image released their first party output has been abysmal.

2282071-kinectadventures_12956_screen.jpg

They were the butt of the industry because by the time Wave Your Hands Like An Idiot(Kinect) came out, Sony was already pivoting from the 360 beatdown and recovering.
Lol@ Remembering Milo and all the fucking deflated hype behind Kinect. Good times.

Ozriel

M$FT
They were the butt of the industry because by the time Wave Your Hands Like An Idiot(Kinect) came out, Sony was already pivoting from the 360 beatdown and recovering.
Lol@ Remembering Milo and all the fucking deflated hype behind Kinect. Good times.

People say this a lot, but Kinect actually drove a significant amount of hardware and software sales for Xbox 360.
It wasn’t Kinect that was the issue, it was MS not treating it like a side peripheral. They should have treated it the excellent way Sony handled PSVR - make a games pipeline for it without compromising first party development for traditional games.

Some of the best selling Xbox 360 games were Kinect titles.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
People say this a lot, but Kinect actually drove a significant amount of hardware and software sales for Xbox 360.
It wasn’t Kinect that was the issue, it was MS not treating it like a side peripheral. They should have treated it the excellent way Sony handled PSVR - make a games pipeline for it without compromising first party development for traditional games.

*Looking for Kinect 2*
Yeah, okay.

I like VR, don't like kinnect.

I would like a corporation to take VR seriously through, before I jump in their ecosystem.

A bunch of Half Life Alyx quality games would be a start.

Of course the first reply is just an ad hominem attack from an Xbox fan. Can't debate, so just mock and attack.

There's a reason Xbox keeps getting outsold >2:1. Maybe if you guys actually held your favorite company to some kind of standards, instead of swallowing whatever PR and promises Papa Phil has for you, they wouldn't be in the mess they are now. Where they NEED to buy the biggest 3rd party publishers to even try to compete.

clampzyn

There's a reason Xbox keeps getting outsold >2:1. Maybe if you guys actually held your favorite company to some kind of standards, instead of swallowing whatever PR and promises Papa Phil has for you, they wouldn't be in the mess they are now. Where they NEED to buy the biggest 3rd party publishers to even try to compete.

Yea the reason why PS5 is still under 600$ is because MS is competing, if MS didn't try you'd probably be seeing those consoles nearly 1000$ and games 100$ without subscription model, MS competing against Sony is the best thing for consumers. I mean if Sony didn't have MS competing you'd probably be seeing PS5 consoles not overclocked, heck they wouldn't be even trying to close the gap in terms of performance.

Last edited:

mxbison

Yeah, neither do any of the others though.

That's how business works. If the best way to make money was turn all games into Pokemon-Go clones, they'd do it.

DavidGzz

Of course the first reply is just an ad hominem attack from an Xbox fan. Can't debate, so just mock and attack.

2:1 happened last gen, it is not happening now. You know why Sony didn't increase the cost of PS5 in the US? Because MS is competing here. Even the latest news from the UK shows MS is competing well there as well. Jim is crying about CoD because MS is already competing without exclusives. Now imagine when their studios start releasing the games. We don't know the numbers of the Series X/S sales but I bet Jim does. He is concerned, even more than you guys if it can be believed.

Already 3 concerned reactions. Keep em coming. 😂

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Yeah, neither do any of the others though.

That's how business works. If the best way to make money was turn all games into Pokemon-Go clones, they'd do it.

Lmao is this you pretending to know
”how business works”?

Damn nerds man, always talking out of their asses.

Last edited:
And a bunch of bad indie games can also skew down an average too.

If a publisher has a bunch of lousy niche games bringing down the average, there's no way in hell you are the type of guy who will say "oh wait gaffers, let's exclude those bad indie and niche games and focus on the full budget games and readjust the score"

Only reason why you are sore is because MS won that year with good games. If MS got a bad score because let's say Psychonauts 2 got a 50/100 score dragging down the avg 10 pts, you'd love it.

So let's not pretend here you have no bias when ratings go one way or another.
Yep

Handel

Yea the reason why PS5 is still under 600$ is because MS is competing, if MS didn't try you'd probably be seeing those consoles nearly 1000$ and games 100$ without subscription model, MS competing against Sony is the best thing for consumers. I mean if Sony didn't have MS competing you'd probably be seeing PS5 consoles not overclocked, heck they wouldn't be even trying to close the gap in terms of performance.
Sony fanboys will never admit that Microsoft's presence in the gaming market has significantly improved Playstation for the better. Without the competition in the top end console space, Sony never needs to shore up it's first party as they'd feel no need to differentiate themselves in that manner, and all higher end third party games would come exclusively to their console automatically because Nintendo hardware can't run them. Without the 360's existence, the PS3 doesn't get punished as the bad hardware it was, and Sony never gets humbled to change their practices, to fix their services.

Wishing for monopolies is short term, idiotic thinking.

anothertech

Sony fanboys will never admit that Microsoft's presence in the gaming market has significantly improved Playstation for the better. Without the competition in the top end console space, Sony never needs to shore up it's first party as they'd feel no need to differentiate themselves in that manner, and all higher end third party games would come exclusively to their console automatically because Nintendo hardware can't run them. Without the 360's existence, the PS3 doesn't get punished as the bad hardware it was, and Sony never gets humbled to change their practices, to fix their services.

Wishing for monopolies is short term, idiotic thinking.
So many in here pretending like MS is actually competing ..

2022 says otherwise

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2:1 happened last gen, it is not happening now. You know why Sony didn't increase the cost of PS5 in the US? Because MS is competing here. Even the latest news from the UK shows MS is competing well there as well. Jim is crying about CoD because MS is already competing without exclusives. Now imagine when their studios start releasing the games. We don't know the numbers of the Series X/S sales but I bet Jim does. He is concerned, even more than you guys if it can be believed.

And this is why competition is such a good thing. Or Sony would just be like the ps3 days and make every one bend the knee. Charge a fortune for consoles and games and bleed us all for the most profit with minimum effort. Studios would be forced to just release on PlayStation. If ms failed Sony would go after pc next and start cutting games off from that market for multiple years.

It would suck.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So many in here pretending like MS is actually competing ..

2022 says otherwise

Hahaha, console sales have been closer than ever in 2022...but I guess you'll come back with. Well if the ps5 wasn't in constraint they would be murdering xbox. Maybe....but that isn't reality is it?

Ms has made tons of ground on Sony.

Sony in their absolute best dream year has been competing with a company that hasn't launched one big exclusive this year and sony are hardly that far ahead.

Gonna be an interesting generation.

Last edited:

mxbison

Lmao is this you pretending to know
”how business works”?

Damn nerds man, always talking out of their asses.

Guy on an internet gaming forum complaining about nerds.

You can't make this stuff up.

Enlighten us about how these companies care about the medium and not maximizing long term profit, Mr Wallstreet.

Last edited:

cireza

Sony pumped up a fuckton of amazing games, aided third parties in developing their titles and commissioned great games from external studios so no, Sony was also responsible for that.
This is where we are going to disagree. On PS1 they barely developped anything. And of course it was from studios freshly bought, at the end of the gen. They enforced their position through third parties, buying exclusivities and throwing a ton of money in marketing.

Even if they had more games on PS2, this console shined thanks to third parties again.

And about PSP, they never understood how to properly support their handheld devices (Vita was even worse in that regard). They can thank Capcom and Monster Hunter for saving their platform. That's another third party.

DavidGzz

And this is why competition is such a good thing. Or Sony would just be like the ps3 days and make every one bend the knee. Charge a fortune for consoles and games and bleed us all for the most profit with minimum effort. Studios would be forced to just release on PlayStation. If ms failed Sony would go after pc next and start cutting games off from that market for multiple years.

It would suck.

Yeah, the gen where Sony thought they could do no wrong and MS humbled them showing them they could end up neck and neck with a relative upstart. Agreed, we need them both. Competition is great.

begotten

I asked a friend of mine who is still a diehard Xbox fan and within their ecosystem;

"Would you have Shawn Layden replace Phil Spencer and focus on first party output and innovation instead of having the Activision Blizzard deal go through"

Which was basically a quality or quantity question.

And his answer was "hell no"

Sums up the hoarder gamer mentality that plays into Gamepass.

pasterpl

Lol. I literally responded stating facts. Sorry but my original post was related to neogaf, unfortunately I don’t have time (got actual life, work, time to play games etc.) to monitor all other internet gaming discussion boards etc. you did came back to me with link to other discussion board.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Maybe if you guys actually held your favorite company to some kind of standards, instead of swallowing whatever PR and promises Papa Phil has for you, they wouldn't be in the mess they are now.

Oh please :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What standards do PS fans hold Sony too? Trying to convince everyone that Days Gone and Drive Club are good games and no dissent whenever the bi-monthly nickel and diming is announced? No diversity of genres please let’s just consolidate on the current trend?

As if it’s the fans fault that Microsoft can’t manage dick.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I wouldn't go as far as defining them as "small franchises", primarily due to their legacies (they are now more akin to sleeping giants, both are just one significant high quality reboot away from being sprung back in the spotlight).

However on the basis of where those franchises are in the overall landscape today you are correct. They should be embarrassed that stuff like Sea of Thieves and Grounded now have more sticking power than their once tentpole franchises.
I don't think they should be embarrassed.

I think it just shows that people's interests in games are changing.

Look at Minecraft, it's not a game that interests myself and many others here on this forum, but it is massive.

I think people enjoy co op shared world experiences, not really sure what the best genre term would be to describe the games.

I do think Infinite had the potential to be huge after it came in mega hot and then absolutely blew it with it's absolutely dire post launch support, it won the fan vote for the game of the year award and neogafs game of the year award, it was incredibly good and refreshing when it landed, not sure it can recover or bring players back, but hopefully it can.

& Gears I hope becomes really popular again, it's easily my fave multiplayer experience.

I do agree with you that they are sleeping giants though.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I did not say that, no. I said its TRAVERSAL is better.

(Overall I think they're on about the same level.)
Spiderman's boss combat is really bad. I wish they had batman's boss fight. That would have improved spiderman immensely, and those sneak side missions.

Zok310

Banned
MS overall model is to collect as much billing as possible while collecting ad revenue. You have to literally pay MS to watch ads across their platforms😂😂.

MS dont enrich the markets they compete in, they just bill, collect rev and run ads, thats their business.

Oof85

It’s sad that some people can be so emotional about GamePass and still be so ignorant about it. Just to remind everyone:

Games on GamePass are all still available to buy, day one

Services need quality content to get people subscribed

MS has said they see GamePass as potentially 15-20% of their revenue (might have even been 10-15%). Meaning that, compared to traditional sales, they see it as a smaller piece of the pie

And yet somehow even with all of these facts, people still make it seem as if MS is going to dramatically reinvent how they make games to adapt to the GamePass model. Even though they still plan on making more money off of traditional sales. And they’re going to throw quality out the window, even though you need quality content to get people on a service. People always claim Xbox is bought less because of less games and less quality games, yet with GamePass somehow quality won’t matter.

Also OP exactly who is pushing gaming forward out of the big three? I can’t say I’ve seen a recent Sony or Nintendo game that revolutionized anything. What new IP has Sony given us this gen? Returnal? A rogue like shooter? Woah, that’s brand new. Is that it? I can’t think of another but surely there are others.

Like I said before in the ABK thread, these haters are always dinosaurs living on delusions. I mean you’re relying on Matt Damon arguing that the digital age sucks. I’m sure movie execs hate the paydays they get from streaming services. And yeah I bet studios have had to rethink budgets since the industry has gone through so many changes. That’s a good thing, and gaming could stand to go through the same thing.
Not even trying to be incendiary but TOTK has like 3 different mechanics patented already iirc.

Splatoon, which is 8 years old has one of the most ingenious gameplay twists in the change form and swim through ink which reloads ammo dynamics.

Like you can't seriously say no one of the big three is trying to push for innovation unless you're not paying attention.

The Last of Us: post apocalyptic linear with zombies
Horizon: post apocalyptic open world with machines
Days Gone: post apocalyptic open world with zombies

Those games are good but i must admit i miss the days when Sony made/published many smaller budget yet extremely unique games. They developed and/or published many such titles from the PS1 through the PS3 days.(also PSP, and much lesser extent Vita)

I have tons of criticisms in regards to Microsoft. However they appear to be supporting some unique small budget yet high quality games. They aren't big sellers but make GamePass more appealing.

Dreams
Concrete Genie
Returnal
Death Stranding
Destruction All-Stars
Demon's Souls remake
Astro's Playroom
PSVR

Seems as though you're actively looking elsewhere.

That isn't including games they absolutely supported like Kena, Stray, and Sifu

Mokus

Here's the thing. Spider-Man Man and GoW did nothing for actual gameplay over games that are on Gamepass.

You are conflating 2 things here.

If you want AAA movies with games you already played (Batman) then sure those seem better, but when it boils down to gameplay you can find better mechanics elsewhere.
In Sony's Spider-Man the story kinda sucks and with that it explains why didn't get higher ratings. So no cinematic marvel here.

But the gameplay it's 10/10 and the main reason that I liked the game and played it much longer. It fixed many gameplay issues from previous games. This shows to me that you just trashing Sony games because you're a warrior. You could say that the game it's not for your liking but saying about the gameplay being bad is just a lie.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The first reply is perfectly apt when you consider what’s in the OP.

I’m not sure forum users ‘holding Xbox to standards’ would have magically generated hardware sales for Xbox last gen.

There's a reason Xbox keeps getting outsold >2:1.

‘Keeps’?

If Sony is so great and Microsoft is so shit, why do you Sony fanboys always shit themselves over it? Are you that scared of the future?...is that why you have to constantly talk about how horrible the competition to your toy of choice is?

Who are you guys trying to convince, us or yourselves? Because you seem really insecure about it all.
Gonna cry? Sony fans are hurting your feelings? Time to grow a pair. The real world is no kindergarten anymore....

lordrand11

[/URL]

He’s 100% right.
And even before TGA I realized that I had already swapped to main PS5 on console, simply because that’s where the best and coolest games has been this year. MS didn’t just drop the ball, their whole team left the field and has been sitting on the bench watching Sony playing by themselves.
Just wait until you graduate to PC gaming and have near everything at your fingertips and not piecemeal releases, it'll blow your mind.

Beechos

Every big companies end goal is to bleed every customer they can dry. Why is this even surprising?

Since they cant currently compete on the 1st party games front their current strategy is very very sound. With so many games to play ecosystem, services and ease of use are a big selling point for people who just want to play games, not your e-penis measuring 3-5 1st party games by sony/ms/nintendo a year.

I actually like their move of focusing on their ecosystem/infrastructure. As we can all see games can be bought, but building up the ecosystem only few can do.

Last edited:

Woopah

Not even trying to be incendiary but TOTK has like 3 different mechanics patented already iirc.

Splatoon, which is 8 years old has one of the most ingenious gameplay twists in the change form and swim through ink which reloads ammo dynamics.

Like you can't seriously say no one of the big three is trying to push for innovation unless you're not paying attention.
I definitely feel like there's too much negativity about the big 3.

There's definitely things that each can improve on, and MS has had a particularly bad 2022 lineup. But all three of them are also doing some great things, publishing new IP and doing new and interesting things with existing IP.

One Microsoft gets its act together (hopefully from 2023 onwards) I think all 3 will be very successful and providing us with great things.

Giving access to day one blockbuster releases on a cheap subscription service in order to be a loss leader is not a sustainable strategy. It never was. A lot of us have been calling this out since day one.
When times were good sure, maybe. Now tough times have arrived, all of a sudden it's being squeezed and exposed.
MS themselves have mentioned they only created this Gamepass strategy because they couldn't compete at selling games with everyone else. It was in one of their documents about their Activision deal for regulators i think.

If Xbox wasn't a part of a company like Microsoft they'd be out of business for god knows how long. Gamepass can only be a reality because a huge ass company like MS has money to waste like this.

It's also pretty clear MS was expecting Gamepass to have way more subscribers than they do right now after like 5 and half years, specially considering this is available not just on consoles on sale for 200 dollars right now, on every PC, TVs etc...this shouldn't have less than 30M subscribers by now, specially when they sell them at 1 dollar sometimes and you don't even need a specific piece of hardware for it. That's why they keep missing MS's numbers by like 70%.

If somehow they miss their prediction numbers for the 3rd year in a row even with games like a new Forza, Starfield, etc...they'll probably stop being all-in on this.

There's also the fact that gamers mindsets on Xbox is changing and we're not talking about this enough. When was the last time we saw a MS game inside the USA top 10 best sellers for more than its debut month? You actually see Xbox players saying that "since i have game pass i don't see myself buying a single game full price ever again" and they usually also mean 3rd party games since Gamepass already takes up a lot of their time. How is this setting up a good precedent in an industry where production costs are going through the roof as we speak? How will MS be able to produce huge AAA titles through like over 20 studios with Gamepass subscriptions revenue only? I'd actually like to know if multiplatform games not on gamepass are selling less and less on Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if companies like Square-Enix not even announcing their stuff on Xbox anymore has anything to do with overall full priced games on this platform decreasing since Gamepass seems to be MS focus now. The only thing i see is that Gamepass is great for indies and smaller titles...that's it.

There's a reason you don't see huge AAA developers praising Gamepass...but only smaller indie developers you wouldn't normally play their games if you paid full price.

The problem about MS taking the Xbox business seriously is that the videogame industry is losing its balance now. This acquisition frenzy would never happen before the Bethesda deal and most stuff would still be 3rd party. When the Activision deal goes through, i'm pretty sure Sony will have something up their sleeve as well. Xbox will also buy more stuff and in the end gamers will always lose, no matter how much MS says "this is for the good of everyone" when it reality, it's good for them and their pockets only, lmao. Sony won't lose access to IPs from Capcom and Square-Enix. If they don't outright buy those, they will have more and more weird deals with these companies.

We don't say this enough: The only reason we don't see more acquisitions right now is because the Activision deal is going through issues right now. Once this is settled, acquisitions will keep happening.

The only thing MS did since they acquired Bethesda was destabilize the industry.

Muay Ninja

Video games became a victim of their own success, because they require more and more money to build them, so the focus becomes on making money rather than making a good experience. But sure, let's blame Microsoft for reducing the quality of games and not predatory monetisation tactics that have been adopted by countless developers in paid for AAA games across all platforms for a quick win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom