• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft xCloud Preview Hands-On Impressions: So Far, So Good!

Bullet Club

Banned
Microsoft xCloud Preview Hands-On Impressions: So Far, So Good!

Play it on a bus, train, and... plane?

A little over a year ago Xbox announced it was going to introduce a gaming streaming service called Project xCloud that could run on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, and virtually any device you own. A few weeks ago, Microsoft finally revealed xCloud to the world with a pubic preview and after a long while with it, I’ve come away impressed.

Now when I say impressed, I’m only speaking towards its performance. As a public preview, xCloud still fairly limited right now to only working on Android devices and offering four first-party games: Halo 5: Guardians, Gears 5, Killer Instinct, and Sea of Thieves.

8Fot8iG.jpg

You also can’t use anything but a relatively new Xbox One controller with Bluetooth. I tried using the service with Sony’s DualShock 4, the Asus ROG Phone 2’s Kunai controllers, BlackShark 2’s GamePad, and I can confirm they all do not currently work with xCloud as of this writing.

Even with this limited game library, it’s fun and frankly stunning that I can play full Xbox One games on my phone now. What’s more, starting up games on your phone feels faster because the games are running on powerful remote servers rather than a hard drive on your console, load times are minimized and closer to a PC gaming experience. And just like playing on a console or gaming PC your cloud saves will automatically transfer over Xbox Live.

Of course, Project xCloud has to make some concessions in image quality and input lag when it’s streaming over Wi-Fi or an LTE cellular connection.

On my fast home connection (100Mbps), games look sharp and you can even discern like the serrations on Jago’s sword in Killer Instinct, but the picture sits closer to an HD (720p) resolution at best.

Playing over a T-Mobile LTE connection—with a 25Mbps download speed—causes no effect on image quality. Even while playing with just my cell connection on a moving bus and train, I didn’t see any loss of image quality, and that’s really impressive.

However, if you’re cellular connection dips below 10Mbps or your Wi-Fi connection is weak, you’ll encounter a lot of graphical artifacts. One of the strangest things xCloud does to maintain a good looking experience is a full-screen vertical wipe that basically gives you a clear image before it starts to degrade almost immediately.

Streaming Latency

Whether you’re playing while connected to Wi-Fi or just on cell service, there’s always a frame or two of latency with Project xCloud. It’s no worse on either connection, but you’ll have to get used to games reacting a second slower than they normally should.

Halo 5: Guardians felt the oddest with this added latency as I had to constantly lead my shots. In Gears 5 I had to readjust the timing of my active reloads and hit the right bumper just before the sweet spot. Killer Instinct is strangely the most forgiving game thanks to its long combo timing windows.

Easily the worst thing about playing Xbox games on Android phones is you really have to squint to see certain games if you have a smaller handset like the Google Pixel 4. Killer Instinct and Sea of Thieves have large characters and assets, so they’re both easy enough to see. But in Gears 5 and Halo 5: Guardians, you have a tiny transparent reticle that takes up about 1% of the screen.

kLY9KLr.jpg

Small details like that are clearly visible on a big-screen gaming TV or gaming monitor, but even on the largest gaming phones, they can still be tough to discern. You’ll either want to play this service on an Android tablet (if you can still find one) or connect your phone to a bigger screen.

Of course, the service is far from its final form, considering there are only four playable games and one compatible platform. And there’s also the big question of how much it will cost, so there’s nothing I can say about whether the service is worth it yet.

But so far, Project xCloud feels like an impressive first step towards a “portable” rendition of Xbox One that allows you to bring console gaming anywhere.

AHxVv6y.jpg

Source: IGN

NickFire

Let me guess for this dude it was amazing and worked great but we all know the truth (well, at least us with brain): that streaming is garbage and doesn't work well with games.

It's all bullshit folks.... it's all bullshit.
Nowhere in OP's review did he sugar coat how his experience has been. He seems pretty clear that he enjoys the experience, while acknowledging drawbacks related to lag and resolution, which get worse depending on connection. Honestly, its probably the most common sense review I've seen so far for cloud gaming. I share your reluctance to accept the drawbacks, but for people who don't mind them it does open up their options.

This is probably good for single player games that do not require a quick reaction time. So Doom is probably a bad game for this, however, Tomb Raider would be much more of a pleasant experience.

vkbest

“Whether you’re playing while connected to Wi-Fi or just on cell service, there’s always a frame or two of latency with Project xCloud. It’s no worse on either connection, but you’ll have to get used to games reacting a second slower than they normally should.”

So good?:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Nowhere in OP's review did he sugar coat how his experience has been. He seems pretty clear that he enjoys the experience, while acknowledging drawbacks related to lag and resolution, which get worse depending on connection. Honestly, its probably the most common sense review I've seen so far for cloud gaming. I share your reluctance to accept the drawbacks, but for people who don't mind them it does open up their options.
I think we need to define "full xbox one games". Sure the game is there in some form, but streaming.... I dont buy it. Just because this guy says its playable doesn't make it true. I leave that for people on this site. We'll get to the bottom eventually.

I remember fondly of how kinect was before it released. People were saying how great it was - lag free, recognizes fingers etc. It was ALL bullshit and as a matter of fact left such a bad taste the literally millions moved to ps4.

I hope this gen doesnt force streaming on us. No thanks.

NickFire

I think we need to define "full xbox one games". Sure the game is there in some form, but streaming.... I dont buy it. Just because this guy says its playable doesn't make it true. I leave that for people on this site. We'll get to the bottom eventually.

I remember fondly of how kinect was before it released. People were saying how great it was - lag free, recognizes fingers etc. It was ALL bullshit and as a matter of fact left such a bad taste the literally millions moved to ps4.

I hope this gen doesnt force streaming on us. No thanks.
I don't think it will. It might take off as an option, but I just don't see the majority of players racing to replace 1080p / 4k with 720p games with significant lag, and almost no functionality if their data stream is handicapped by the ISP intentionally (throttling) or due to high volume.

honestly this is going to be a service i barely use but i am excited for remote play from my xbox to my phone in the future.

Same, I use to do something similar with game streaming to my phone via Moonlight but stopped leaving my PC on all day just for the chance I'll bother with playing a round or two during lunch break.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't think it will. It might take off as an option, but I just don't see the majority of players racing to replace 1080p / 4k with 720p games with significant lag, and almost no functionality if their data stream is handicapped by the ISP intentionally (throttling) or due to high volume.
It's a perfect option for when a person is on a business trip after a long day to relax. People get way bent out of shape about it for some reason. As a handy option I think it could be great for certain situations. It won't be a main source of games but a good supplement to a platform.

Shrap

That isn't OP's preview, it's IGN's.

NickFire

That isn't OP's preview, it's IGN's.
Shit, I missed the IGN link. I really thought he was a beta tester. In all honesty, I am now wondering if the impact on resolution and performance will be far worse than described, because I don't buy into the notion that outlets who sell ads never take ad sales into account when editing content. But those concerns aside, I still think the author did a fair job at highlighting pros and cons.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The active reload on Gears 5 makes me feel like there's only certain games I'd want to play on Xcloud. No shooters, no fighters...maybe racers...

I think some other types of games would be ok though. Atlas, though their's shooting and fighting elements is a much slower game and one I'm having a blast with. I could do a melee build with Outer Worlds and probably enjoy it. Card games like Magic Arena or Hearthstone is a no brainer. Single Player games would be pretty good, Assassin's Creed, Dishonored 2. I'm just wondering how much this is gonna cost me.

frogger

Is this going to be a service? If I pay a monthly fee, can I play the games I already bought on xbox live or do I have to buy them again? This is the big question.

I've only played a couple of times but I have been impressed so far. I have a good home wifi setup and decent high speed internet (for USA). I have gotten the symbol saying my connection is slow for pretty much the entire time I've played (don't know if it actually is my connection or a bug) but it ran really well. I'm not going to have much use for this right now (since I now work from home) but signed up because I wanted to play around with it. Pretty neat so far.

Just got an invite this morning. Was very impressed. Beat final boss on GOW5 and played a tiny bit of Halo5. Didn't notice any lag. Where do you get the phone holder?

sdrawkcab

Banned
For those who tested it, can you state your Internet, WiFi or 4G speeds, as well as your ping? That information would prove to be very useful, thanks.

This, stadia and PSnow, to name but a few, offer streaming services so we can 'play anywhere' and the service is 'convenient'.

But in reality, who the fuck carries a controller around and a spare pack of batteries/charge cable?

These companies should make a good hand held device, then talk about streaming my crap to it.

ethomaz

Banned
A second slower is too much lag and nowhere close to 1-2 frames.
If you are having to adapt your press button to hit the opponent that means the input lag is higher than the difference between 30 and 60fps.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned

They could just buy a switch and enjoy 720 p gaming with worse graphics and performance... oh wait people do that.

FeldMonster

They could just buy a switch and enjoy 720 p gaming with worse graphics and performance... oh wait people do that.
The problem with Switch (for me at least), is that the joycons are extremely uncomfortable, and it doesn't have any games that I would want to play. Compared to playing the games that I already have on my Xbox, the Switch would be an expensive waste of money. Xcloud is kind of the best of both worlds. Mobile when I want, but using my existing library.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
- Is this the Stadia killer?
- No, the Stadia killer is Stadia, but xCloud is kinda nice

Last edited:
- Is this the Stadia killer?
- No, the Stadia killer is Stadia, but xCloud is kinda nice
The difference between the two is massive!

xCloud
-Stream your entire game library across Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Next
-Download games to console and/or PC if you want to play locally
-Cloud Saving
-Gamepass works with it
-Less Latency than Stadia

Stadia
-Buy games at full price that you can never download
-More Latency than xCloud

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just got into the preview. Stadia...I don't wanna bandwagon or nothing, but I just don't see how they could be better than what I've experienced here.

I am actually really surprised. I have a Samsung note 10+ in case anyone was wondering. I tried out both console streaming and Xcloud on the phone. I tried games that I was sure wouldn't be best on the phone.

I started with Tekken 7, which to play properly, requires precise timing to do combos and such. I found that there was a slight latency but not so bad that I couldn't hold my own in a battle and do complete combos after a couple of tries while getting used to the slight delay.

Then I tried World of Warships, a much slower game, that doesn't require precise timing. I found that this worked pretty well though I had to zoom in through the ships parascope to make out finer details of an enemy ship. I was perfectly able to target and consistently hit my targets with no problem.

I then tried COD: Modern Warfare...let's just say when you have people hiding and your vision is already somewhat imparied due to the smaller screen, making split second decisions was not easy at all. I can't imagine myself playing any twitch shooters on xcloud unless I had a tablet at least.

All these games were played on Xcloud.

I then tried my hand on Darksiders III. I was amazed at how much better console streaming is to my phone on wifi, than it was on my PC. Really surprising, you can tell that they put some work into it. I didn't have time to look at PC again but i would guess things have gotten better there too. I'll try it out later tonight.

I ended up taking my controller to work with me today, but was so busy that I didn't have a chance to play really.

Overall, really impressed with Xcloud preview thus far. I don't subscribe to PSnow and I would give it a shot if they offered support for my phone. Last I checked, they dont, correct me if I'm wrong.

pr0cs

I can see myself messing with it if they continue to give it free with gamepass ultimate. Probably more than adequate for adventure /strategy role playing games esp when stuck at work

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Got into the beta myself. Only xcloud streaming is available right now and not console but the latency of rise of the tomb raider was noticable but not a deal breaker by any means. I could see myself using this like i do switch and playing a game before I go to bed to wind down.

And since the progress carries over the cloud it makes it super easy.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's pretty impressive and works much better than I expected. Sure, the input lag is too high and none of the games UI's scale appropriately on small screens, but it's a beta. I hear the input lag is improved using a wired controller if that is an option.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ace combat 7 works really well on xcloud...it was my first time playing it so i didnt have previous experience to compare it, but it felt really good. Played on xcloud. I think im sold on this but i will try on mobile network without my wifi turned on and will report back

Kagey K

Banned
They sent me an invite, but I’m in Canada and when I go to get the game streaming app it says it’s not available in my country.

Biggest cocktease ever. I really just want it for when I’m away from home for extended periods of time (usually in the US,) but damn if I didn’t get super excited and then super disappointed in less then 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I got my invite yesterday, but not very good due to my phone's wifi only being 2.4ghz. I switched to mobile data and it works surprisingly well especially since any phone network coverage where i live is not that great. I need to upgrade my phone.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They sent me an invite, but I’m in Canada and when I go to get the game streaming app it says it’s not available in my country.

Biggest cocktease ever. I really just want it for when I’m away from home for extended periods of time (usually in the US,) but damn if I didn’t get super excited and then super disappointed in less then 2 minutes.
Damn that sucks man.

Top Bottom