• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New feature: Play Steam VR games on Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro - Wirelessly play VR games from your Steam library with Steam Link

Sleepwalker

We're excited to announce the streaming technology of Steam Link is now available on the Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro, allowing you to wirelessly play VR games from your Steam library.

Steam Link is a free app that uses the power of your PC to stream Steam games onto phones, tablets, and TVs — and now, on Meta Quest.

Before you begin: You'll need a router with a wired connection to your PC, and a 5GHz WiFi network for your headset.

Getting started
  • Make sure Steam and SteamVR are installed and running on your PC
    • Note: You may need to restart Steam to confirm you are running the latest version of Steam and SteamVR
  • Connect your headset to the same network as your PC
  • Download the free Steam Link app to your headset.
  • The app will walk you through wirelessly connecting your computer to your headset.

Minimum requirements
Before you connect, make sure you have:
  • Wi-Fi: 5 GHz minimum, wired connection to PC
  • GPUs: NVIDIA (GTX970 or better)
  • Headset: Meta Quest 2, 3, or Pro

Recommended (but not required): A broadband internet connection with Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6E, and a computer with at least 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GPU, RTX2070 or better.

Read more (along with step-by-step instructions) in our Steam Link FAQs.

For additional information check out Steam Link and Remote Play.

ssringo

Pretty cool. I used to use my Quest2 wired and it was always a pain so I just stopped bothering. Might bring it out again and give it a whirl.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Really cool but requires very expensive hardware + Wired connection.

This is as niche as it gets.
This is how most people play PC VR on Quest, it's really not niche at all. All this does is take out the middleman, but considering how well Virtual Desktop works and how much better VD is than Oculus link and how much better sunshine/moonlight is than steam link, not sure this will be a big deal.

StueyDuck

Nice to see steam putting the first foot forward. Time for meta to step the fuck up and stop hogging all the games like cunts

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So as someone with a high-end PC that's never dabbled into VR, what's a great headset to go with? Would one of these Meta headsets be a good choice now? I'm completely out of the loop.

Nice to see steam putting the first foot forward. Time for meta to step the fuck up and stop hogging all the games like cunts
I wonder if this Steam VR link will be able to see my Asguards Wrath 1 on the quest store. If not I will still need to use Virtual Desktop for all the Quest store stuff on PC.

StueyDuck

I wonder if this Steam VR link will be able to see my Asguards Wrath 1 on the quest store. If not I will still need to use Virtual Desktop for all the Quest store stuff on PC.
I get a feeling it's just a one way system still. Probably can launch from steam but will still need the oculus app for the rest

GHG

How does that stack up against the Pro/Vive/Index/etc..? Obviously all of those options are much more expensive.

Its much better. The ability to use it as a stand-alone device + the pancake lenses + the pass through capabilities make it a cut above the rest.

The only thing any of those that you listed have over it is the controllers with the Index specifically, but even then it's not worth the premium along with the setup hassle required.

There's no reason to consider anything else these days.

poppabk

I get a feeling it's just a one way system still. Probably can launch from steam but will still need the oculus app for the rest
Oculus app? Why would you need that, unless you mean the OS on the headset?

Reallink

Really cool but requires very expensive hardware + Wired connection.

This is as niche as it gets.
A $200 Quest 2 and $40 router is very expensive hardware?

Side note, very disappointed to see them using 100Mbps Wifi. I had hoped their next headset would build out their own 60Ghz Multi-Gbps solution for VR streaming, similar to wireless HDMI. Wifi solutions are so terribly lossy and compressed.

Last edited:

Reallink

What's the big advantage over virtual desktop? That streams wirelessly from your Steam library.
Not having to buy a $20 app or run a streamer app on your PC are the big ones. May have better compatibility with more routers as Valve has far more resources than the 1 guy who makes and maintains VD.

poppabk

Not having to buy a $20 app or run a streamer app on your PC are the big ones. May have better compatibility with more routers as Valve has far more resources than the 1 guy who makes and maintains VD.
VD is leagues ahead of Meta's solution and they get to integrate it in the headset OS, so it is by no means a given.

Romulus

VD is leagues ahead of Meta's solution and they get to integrate it in the headset OS, so it is by no means a given.

Been finding this is case by case for me. There are some games that have better image quality with Oculus link vs VD. It's not many though and VD is a pretty incredible way to play wirelessly. I get why DF was so surprised that streaming VR works so well because not long ago streaming anything was complete ass.

Last edited:
Virtual Desktop is awesome, I doubt this will compare. Similar to how Moonlight is way better than Steam Link.
Yes VD it's the only way to wireless from the PC, the Meta way was just so glitchy.
But Virtual Desktop is wireless ONLY, This steam link looks like it supports wired as well.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yes VD it's the only way to wireless from the PC, the Meta way was just so glitchy.
But Virtual Desktop is wireless ONLY, This steam link looks like it supports wired as well.
Oh, I guess I didn't see anything about that. I only see connect your PC to the router using wired connection. Which is a must imo.

The Meta/Airlink app lets you connect using USB cord, but why bother when wireless is so good?

The Meta/Airlink app lets you connect using USB cord, but why bother when wireless is so good?
My experience with the Meta/airlink app using wired was not good. I had to constantly go in and fix the audio settings to hear through the headset.
Virtual Desktop worked no problem and better wirelessly than meta through the wire.

Reallink

Their idiot proof lowest common denominator out of the box solution is worse than VD, but is as good or better if you adjust the developer mode options. They see Link as a competing platform though, and clearly don't have anyone working on it as I still don't believe they've updated it to support Q3's new specs/features.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i have been doing this for ages with desktop vr
been playing alan wake 2 from epic game store.

there is a dope function on the quest 3 where you can play transparency mode and have a virtual screen floating.. makes the VR experience less boxed in

Been playing around with it for the past 30 min and have to report it's just as performant as the meta software.
It does have 120hz in the settings but everything was playing stuttery.

Loaded up virtual desktop and it smoothed back out to a better experience.
Virtual Desktop still king here.
I'll need to try the wired link cable later tonight.

chaseroni

Its much better. The ability to use it as a stand-alone device + the pancake lenses + the pass through capabilities make it a cut above the rest.

The only thing any of those that you listed have over it is the controllers with the Index specifically, but even then it's not worth the premium along with the setup hassle required.

There's no reason to consider anything else these days.
I can think of one reason and it starts with an M.

OT: This is cool what valves doing here, it gives me hope that we'll have a standalone headset from them soon.
I've had an excellent experience with the steam decks, steam controllers, hell I even bought an Alienware Alpha Steam Machine a few years back and love it so much.

I'll wait patiently with my Quest 2, which won't receive another dime from me personally.
Fuck Meta.

Reallink

I can think of one reason and it starts with an M.

OT: This is cool what valves doing here, it gives me hope that we'll have a standalone headset from them soon.
I've had an excellent experience with the steam decks, steam controllers, hell I even bought an Alienware Alpha Steam Machine a few years back and love it so much.

I'll wait patiently with my Quest 2, which won't receive another dime from me personally.
Fuck Meta.
It definitely won't be soon, they would have teased something (however insignificant) to stop people from buying Quest 3's if it were. Even if they were targeting Q1 or Q2 '24 I think they would have released a blacked out shadow silhouette or something saying stay tuned for next year. Late '24 is best case scenario IMO.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Been playing around with it for the past 30 min and have to report it's just as performant as the meta software.
It does have 120hz in the settings but everything was playing stuttery.

Loaded up virtual desktop and it smoothed back out to a better experience.
Virtual Desktop still king here.
I'll need to try the wired link cable later tonight.

I tried it back to back against VD myself, using Half-Life 2 VR mod both programs have perfect IQ for me, no artifacts, network issues or anything. I can spin the screen in circles as fast as I can and everything holds together perfectly.

Overall Steam Link is great! I like how much more Steam-like it feels, bounces you right in to Steam VR, and seemed to get things moving a bit faster to me, for my test. I bumped the settings near max for Steam Link (350 mbit/s, High, 150% render resolution), and it is *almost* as good as VD. But not quite. VD to me feels a little bit smoother than Steam Link. So I'd give that a perfect score, and Steam Link right under it. It's possible that I may be able to tweak Steam Link further somehow, but VD is what I'd choose between the two currently.

chaseroni

It definitely won't be soon, they would have teased something (however insignificant) to stop people from buying Quest 3's if it were. Even if they were targeting Q1 or Q2 '24 I think they would have released a blacked out shadow silhouette or something saying stay tuned for next year. Late '24 is best case scenario IMO.
I don't think valve operates that way at all. They just dropped software on Quest, I don't think they are worried about it competing with whatever they release.

Until the next Alyx-tier VR game I see no reason to rush upgrade.

poppabk

I don't think valve operates that way at all. They just dropped software on Quest, I don't think they are worried about it competing with whatever they release.

Until the next Alyx-tier VR game I see no reason to rush upgrade.
Yeah they are in the business of selling software. The hardware they produce is to support that and push the market in new directions. They want the Quest 3 to be succesful as long as it supports steam.

What’s the very expensive hardware? A router that supports 5Ghz? Running a cheap Ethernet cable to to your PC from the router ?
I would guess he means the gaming PC hardware required to run the actual games? But yeah provided you're already into PCVR the added cost is probably 0.

Top Bottom