• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Built-In Anti-Cheat TruePlay

jelly

"We'll share system info"

Yeah, okay, some of the Windows 10 spying hysteria is out of whack, but MS really does seem to be giving tinfoil hats a field day with Win 10.

This seems like one of these "great ideas" in heads, complete trainwreck messes in execution. Expect false positives, something screwing up for legit users and who knows what else.

While I don't like Microsoft being hungry for data, user experience arguments aside, Steam probably takes similar data, even your system, programs etc. and I don't see anyone bringing that up.

I asked what it was in the other thread. Hmm, not too happy about this being at the OS level. It literally says some games may not work at all.

A online only game that implements this wouldn't work if the user disabled, yeah. But ultimately it's the developers choice to run the game with the service disabled or not.

Well, most anti-cheat is on a per application basis and runs on demand, not a thing that is permanently built into the operating system and presumably always enabled and always active by default

I don't the specifics of any ant cheat measure, but unless it runs at startup and run always how else could a 3rd party application actually protect anything?

Not that it makes a difference, but the True Play Service was deactivated, on all my devices, even the ones that aren't in insider preview and updated straight to the fall update.

LordRaptor

Honest question but has an anti-cheat solution ever worked well for a long period of time?

VAC and Punkbuster are still being used, and have both been around for literally years

While I don't like Microsoft being hungry for data, user experience arguments aside, Steam probably takes similar data, even your system, programs etc. and I don't see anyone bringing that up.

Because its false equivalence?
Steam has an opt-in hardware questionnaire for user info, it has a cursory scan for installed programs via the "add a non steam game" option using Windows default configurations, and most pertinently isn't part of an operating system mandatory update.

e:
I don't the specifics of any ant cheat measure, but unless it runs at startup and run always how else could a 3rd party application actually protect anything?

Yes, that's how they work.
When a game that uses a third party anti-cheat is launched, it launches the anti-cheat process along with the specific title in question, then terminates the process on application exit.

ShogunX

Yes, but Microsoft is EVIL. No doubt the bastards are dumping oil in to the ocean as we speak.

As for the ''TruePlay'' if it works then great. Nobody likes cheating fucking scumbags online.

I don't really see the issue here. Win32 titles won't be supported, meaning the service is limited to UWP games. This is pretty good, since Punkbuster, Hackshield, and etcetera don't support UWP titles.

Not to mention, developers would have to go out of their way to incorporate the service into their solution.

So what's the problem?

PrimeBeef

"Turning this off may limit the games you can play."

Pardon?
Meaning if you don't cheat you have nothing to worry about. Turn it on and play everything without worry. If you do cheat and do not want to get caught, turn it off and loose acces to MP games and MP sections of games or something to that effect.

Yes, that's how they work.
When a game that uses a third party anti-cheat is launched, it launches the anti-cheat process along with the specific title in question, then terminates the process on application exit.

By start up I meant the computer XD

If they don't have a process always running someone could just mess with the file and disable the protection. I just don't see how any anti temper solution would work unless they were running 24/7 to ensure nothing else tempers with itself.

Chrisdk

I hope it works. This would be really important for crossplay. Playing online on PC is a waste of time, always so many cheaters. It's much better on console and also the reason why many people chooses consoles over PC when playing online. I would hate it we got all the PC cheaters into Xbox Live with crossplay.

Vuze

Thank you for keeping Windows 10 a slim operating system that isn’t bloated by some shit “features” that nobody’s gonna use anyway 🙏 Nice Cover up for yet another spyware element; can’t wait to see a report on what it all shares/monitors with MS and likely 3rd parties as well.

Mifec

I hope it works. This would be really important for crossplay. Playing online on PC is a waste of time, always so many cheaters. It's much better on console and also the reason why many people chooses consoles over PC when playing online. I would hate it we got all the PC cheaters into Xbox Live with crossplay.

Factually wrong.

snap

Banned
The reactions here show NeoGAF's "look at that bitch eating her crackers" attitude towards anything Microsoft does.

LordRaptor

The reactions here show NeoGAF's "look at that bitch eating her crackers" attitude towards anything Microsoft does.

Its a solution that only exists to solve a problem that MS themselves created, and is being forcibly added to an OS update because... fuck, why is it an OS level?
I'm not going to not update windows now that WPA2 is broken, so... what plaudits to MS deserve for this?

Yes, it makes Xbox owners happy that their crossplay UWA titles don't have cheats in.

snap

Banned
Its a solution that only exists to solve a problem that MS themselves created, and is being forcibly added to an OS update because... fuck, why is it an OS level?
I'm not going to not update windows now that WPA2 is broken, so... what plaudits to MS deserve for this?

Yes, it makes Xbox owners happy that their crossplay UWA titles don't have cheats in.

i rest my case. only someone predetermined to shit on any product that company puts out can spin this as "i'm being forced to add this to my OS that this company also makes"

Hybris

I haven't used UWP at all, but does it support overlay injectors like RTTS with MSI Afterburner? If so, would running the UWP app as a protected process interfere with this?

LordRaptor

i rest my case. only someone predetermined to shit on any product that company puts out can spin this as "i'm being forced to add this to my OS that this company also makes"

I'm not even shitting on it, its just more cruft I don't want that I have to go and turn off that wastes resources.
It only exists because existing solutions are incompatible with UWA, and UWA continues to be a thing MS continue to push that most desktop users don't particularly want.

e:
I mean, your case is "Why isn't everyone HAPPY with this unless they HATE MS????" which is a super weak case, because MS add shit to Windows that most people never use with every update and also don't have people going WOW THANKS

jryeje29

Hopefully it works well and correctly I mean I’ve never known most things made by this company for pc to work that way but hey first time for everything.

What exactly is the problem Ms created? Online cheating?

snap

Banned
I'm not even shitting on it, its just more cruft I don't want that I have to go and turn off that wastes resources.
It only exists because existing solutions are incompatible with UWA, and UWA continues to be a thing MS continue to push that most desktop users don't particularly want.

e:
I mean, your case is "Why isn't everyone HAPPY with this unless they HATE MS????" which is a super weak case, because MS add shit to Windows that most people never use with every update and also don't have people going WOW THANKS

I'm not saying that at all, thanks for setting up that strawman. I'm just pointing out that nobody should particularly feel strongly about this software feature and yet here we are with a bunch of people angry that Microsoft DARE add it to WIndows. I didn't see any of y'all complaining about them adding a new Paint app that only did 3D models, or adding in a mechanism for you to more easily access paid WiFI networks, or their completely superfluous pen and touch center to the taskbar that even as a pen and touch user I find worthless.

But yet some small software off by default that you'll never need to see unless a game wants you to is "cruft you have to turn off?" Please.

LordRaptor

What exactly is the problem Ms created? Online cheating?

UWAs format being sandboxed and preventing existing anti-cheat solutions working.

I didn't see any of y'all complaining about them adding a new Paint app that only did 3D models, or adding in a mechanism for you to more easily access paid WiFI networks, or their completely superfluous pen and touch center to the taskbar that even as a pen and touch user I find worthless.

Yeah, I have a problem with all of those, and my problem is specifically the way MS want to turn Service Packs into "feature events" by just bundling a ton of shit I don't want or need as a mandatory update, when "Optional" and "Important" updates used to be entirely seperate, and "Important" happened as needed, and "Optional" could sit in your "not installed" Windows Update queue forever.
Nobody is making topics gaming side about Paint 3D or other cruft though. Shit, I doubt anyone made one in OT. Its cruft. Nobody really gives a shit about their existence.

I don't go "WOW NEW SYSTEM UPDATE! I WONDER WHATS IN IT?" like many console owners seem to, I go "Ugh, fine I have to reboot again"

MUnited83

For you.
This is a company that can't even get basic shit as downloading a fucking game right, why the fuck would I trust them on creating a anti-cheat?

LordRaptor

This is a company that can't even get basic shit as downloading a fucking game right, why the fuck would I trust them on creating a anti-cheat?

I trust them to do it.
I don't trust them to continue maintaining it after its become painfully obvious noone else is going to use it or pay them for it, and to not just abandon it so that programs relying on it just stop working 3-4 years down the line.

Chrisdk

Factually wrong.

Keep telling yourself that. You don’t have to have gamed much online on PC to realize that there are a lot more cheaters than on console. I’m pretty amazed that there are people on a gaming forum that think otherwise. It’s not even close.

Mifec

Keep telling yourself that. You don't have to have gamed much online on PC to realize that there are a lot more cheaters than on console. I'm pretty amazed that there are people on a gaming forum that think otherwise. It's not even close.

I probably played more games on a competitive level then most GAF and the only big game I ever ran into a cheater was CS:GO. Durante also kept a log of how many cheaters he ran into when he played Dark Souls and I'm pretty sure it was less than 3 over hundreds of games. So I kinda know what I'm talking about.

The part you're factually wrong about though is that people are leaving PC to play on console because of cheaters. More people play League of Legends then people who play games on a PS4. Pretty sure league doesn't have a cheating problem.

LordRaptor

Pretty sure league doesn't have a cheating problem.

I mean... it does, but not in a way that affects most people, and account bans are a fairly strong deterrent.
It has people botting - presumably on smurf accounts - to auto-level up to the level restrictions to play ranked, and it has people scripting for 'wombo combos' on specific champs (which lowers a skill ceiling, but isn't anything players super good at the game can't do themselves, or overcome with skill)

Mifec

I mean... it does, but not in a way that affects most people, and account bans are a fairly strong deterrent.
It has people botting - presumably on smurf accounts - to hit the level restrictions to play ranked, and it has people scripting for 'wombo combos' on specific champs

How bad is the scripting now, I always saw it mentioned but never ran into it before I switched to the best videogame in the world aka Dota 2. Because unless you run into a scripter very often I wouldn't call it a cheating problem.

LordRaptor

How bad is the scripting now, I always saw it mentioned but never ran into it before I switched to the best videogame in the world aka Dota 2. Because unless you run into a scripter very often I wouldn't call it a cheating problem.

I've encountered bots literally a couple of times in ARAM (and reported them as such post game), and played against a scripted... I think it was an Annie, but really the only possible role you can script is burst mages anyway, once and everyone called it and reported.

I'm not super good at league, or play it a ton, but I've put in ~100 hours according to wasted on lol over the last 4 years or so, and thats 3 occurrences.
so yea.

e:
I mean, I'd imagine perception of scripters is a lot higher in the tryhard playerbase of silver or wherever the bell curves put people who aren't as good as they think they are

snap

Banned
UWAs format being sandboxed and preventing existing anti-cheat solutions working.

Yeah, I have a problem with all of those, and my problem is specifically the way MS want to turn Service Packs into "feature events" by just bundling a ton of shit I don't want or need as a mandatory update, when "Optional" and "Important" updates used to be entirely seperate, and "Important" happened as needed, and "Optional" could sit in your "not installed" Windows Update queue forever.
Nobody is making topics gaming side about Paint 3D or other cruft though. Shit, I doubt anyone made one in OT. Its cruft. Nobody really gives a shit about their existence.

I don't go "WOW NEW SYSTEM UPDATE! I WONDER WHATS IN IT?" like many console owners seem to, I go "Ugh, fine I have to reboot again"

So basically, "new updates should only have stuff I want to use or just bugfixes, any new features that aren't aimed entirely at me that I would find useful are worthless"

Textbook entitled user.

if it's bad how does it affect you? nobody would use it and it'd stay off buried in some settings screen.

LordRaptor

So basically, "new updates should only have stuff I want to use or just bugfixes, any new features that aren't aimed entirely at me that I would find useful are worthless"

Textbook entitled user.

Sooooooo is it my typical bitch eating crackers attitude that means I can never give MS the kudos you think they deserve, or is it my textbook entitlement that means I cannot give MS kudos you think they deserve?

Because you seem unclear on the issue and sort of evasive on what exactly is the kudos they deserve

snap

Banned
Sooooooo is it my typical bitch eating crackers attitude that means I can never give MS the kudos you think they deserve, or is it my textbook entitlement that means I cannot give MS kudos you think they deserve?

Because you seem unclear on the issue and sort of evasive on what exactly is the kudos they deserve

when did i ever say they deserved kudos? you seem so set in your strawman that even when i pointed it out you ignored me.

this news is a "eh whatever" type of thing. but you just spun it as bad because Microsoft is bad and anything they ever do is bad, especially when they bring features to users, unless those features are things you want, in which case they're still bad, but tolerable.

Top Bottom