• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori Leaker: Nintendo Direct this month will be peak

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

Furball

Didn't this "leaker" just get BTFO'd by having 1 or 2 of her Xbox "leaks" completely wrong? All this person does is post unfalsifiable predictions that anyone could make or things already "leaked" by others. Stop posting everything this moron says.

Nope , She just said Square Enix will have game at Xbox Showcase . Square Enix did announced new Live is strange .

exstab1 is the one that make most Xbox leak

Last edited:
Well we haven’t had one in 9 months, so just going off of that I’d say they have some big announcements ready to go. This is also likely the last Switch-only Direct as well. If they do a usual September one, it’ll have the shadow of Switch 2 over it, whether it’s been announced by then or not.

There’s also the elephant in the room of Metroid Prime 4, which Retro Studios has had in development for 4 1/2 years now. It’s time.

Also, I don’t know why, but I feel like it’s time for a new Donkey Kong. I also feel like in addition to Zelda-*something, I feel like some more 3DS games might get ported over to Switch. Mario 3D Land, LBW, etc.

This oughta be a good one, though. For sure.

SpiceRacz

We’re overdue for a new 3D Mario. I imagine that will be saved for the next console though, but would be a nice swan song for Switch.

They can't give us Galaxy 2 because Yoshi demands a Wiimote for the mechanic to work at an acceptable level for a Nintendo game and not like some janky emulator shit, especially because you need to chain grabs with his tongue to cross gaps. Meanwhile, 3D Land was designed around the 3D feature in terms of camera angles and level design (they had jumps they expected you to have 3D depth perception) which is completely missing.

These issues are probably why they haven't already ported these games. If they can ever sort these issues with future hardware equipped with 3D or Wii-pointer-like precision, they'll show up in like a second.

I get Galaxy 2 not being ported. 3D Land works perfectly fine without the 3D mechanic though.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
There's absolutely no realistic chance Nintendo can eclipse what Microsoft has shown in their current position and you know it. You'd have to have a massive bias for or against any of the platform holders to see it like that. We got bombarded with a stupendous amount of high quality announcements from a wide range of genres and styles yesterday.

MacReady13

I won’t believe it unless the Grubb tells us it’s happening. Grubb and ONLY Grubb can break stories like this…

Anyway, please make it so. I need something to get excited about that is arriving within the next 6 months to a year. As great as the Xbox showcase was (Doom, Indy, Gears, Perfect Dark were all A+) I want MORE games to play soon! And no one makes them like Nintendo. Let’s hope we get a Mario Odyssey 2 announcement for the Super Switch. Metroid Prime 4 for Super Switch. Come on Nintendo, make it happen. I’d love a new Star Fox as well… even F Zero and/or Wave Race would be sensational.

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds good to me!
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

Hoping for some Metroid Prime 4 news, anything else would just be the cherry on top.

No way it’ll be better than the MS show though.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Dollars to donuts they will have one big game that will be a remake and in turn the blind Nintendo fans will beat their dicks to its raw to said announcement.

I do not understand not showing the switch 2. This is the perfect time.

BlackTron

Gold Member
We’re overdue for a new 3D Mario. I imagine that will be saved for the next console though, but would be a nice swan song for Switch.

I get Galaxy 2 not being ported. 3D Land works perfectly fine without the 3D mechanic though.

3D Land is a lot more doable than Galaxy 2, they already had 2DS after all. But I think they want to sidestep the entire "Super Mario 2D Land" thing. It's just awkward because that was the main gimmick of the game. It's kind of like (but not as bad as) porting Mario 64 to DS without a control stick, and now they like to pretend that it never happened probably for feeling ridiculous over it.

Regginator

Literally the only thing I'd want from Nintendo before the Switch 2 releases is Metroid Prime 2 Remastered (preferably bundled with 3).

BlackTron

Gold Member
It would be nice for Nintendo to send Switch out with a bang

I frankly thought that bang was TOTK, but it's taken longer than expected. Still, aside from remakes, I kinda doubt we get a new game beyond Mario Wonder level. Good, but nothing that can steal any real mojo away from a new console (unless it's cross gen)

I'm expecting a big switch 2 reveal with games and a nice remake announced for current switch.
There is no Switch 2 reveal or Switch 2 games this month. The Direct is confirmed to be Switch only, this has been public information for over a month now.

Last edited:
3D Land is a lot more doable than Galaxy 2, they already had 2DS after all. But I think they want to sidestep the entire "Super Mario 2D Land" thing. It's just awkward because that was the main gimmick of the game. It's kind of like (but not as bad as) porting Mario 64 to DS without a control stick, and now they like to pretend that it never happened probably for feeling ridiculous over it.
It would be fine. They wouldn’t need to change the name, either. It would be fine to just call it 3D Land, and make very minor adjustments to the game itself. An easy 10+ million seller.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 4?
Development began in January 2019 at Retro, so even with a 4-5 year dev cycle, it has to be in the polish/ QA stage at this point. Unless it's morphed (LOL) into some kind of enormously ambitious project that is now planned for Switch 2. If it's a Switch game still, it has to launch by this holiday. Or maybe it's fully cross-gen and is launching same day on both systems in the Spring, like BotW.

Last edited:
Development began in January 2019 at Retro, so even with a 4-5 year dev cycle, it has to be in the polish/ QA stage at this point. Unless it's morphed (LOL) into some kind of enormously ambitious project that is now planned for Switch 2. If it's a Switch game still, it has to launch by this holiday. Or maybe it's fully cross-gen and is launching same day on both systems in the Spring, like BotW.
Wouldn't doubt for a Switch 2 launch title, which would disappoint me because I'm not buying a Switch 2 at release and MP4 is one my most anticipated games in a long time.

Radical_3d

If Switch 2 is next year, why would they reveal it earlier than they revealed the first Switch? 🤔. It would make far more sense to announce it in January and release in March/April
Switch was announced in 2015 and revealed in October 2016. It wasn’t revealed 2 months prior to launch. Although I can see this happening this time since the situation is very different. The thing is that this Direct, as it’ll have nothing of the exciting new hardware, will not no a banger.

Switch was announced in 2015 and revealed in October 2016. It wasn’t revealed 2 months prior to launch. Although I can see this happening this time since the situation is very different. The thing is that this Direct, as it’ll have nothing of the exciting new hardware, will not no a banger.
Nintendo said they were working on next-gen hardware in March 2015. The system wasn't announced until October 2016, in a brief teaser. It was not unveiled until January 2017, and released not even 2 months later.

For Nintendo, the gap between announcement and release for next-gen Switch doesn't need to be more than a few months. All a longer gap would do is keep people from buying a current Switch and current Switch software.

Nintendo also never announces hardware in Directs. Directs are software-focused, so there's no such thing as a "banger Direct" because a new system got announced in it. Banger Directs are wholly dependent on what software is announced in them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom