• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Tyson Repeatedly Punches Man on Plane (for harassing him)

mansoor1980

Gold Member
FNDU8xn.jpg

This is making me laugh much more than it probably should.
e060347225c614033a7fca6f0339a5ee9bc38825.gif

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I dont think people understand just how dangerous and effective Mike is even now. He could give a liver shot that would disconnect your dick from your pelvis.

eh, did you watch him and roy jones fight?

i just feel bad for mike. he wants to smoke weed and entertain people, he genuinely seems like a changed man. then some dickhead tripping off shrooms pesters him relentlessly on a plane until he loses it and will probably get sued. sad.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
no, and i wouldn't wanna fight roy jones either but he isn't disconnecting any dicks from pelvises with 1 punch
It’s a celebrity fight. None of them were going full bore hungry beast like they would when championships were on the line.

Same with the Mayweather/McGregor fight. Or the even faker Paul tripe.

I’m more than positive Tyson could turn that on if he really wanted to hurt someone.

Last edited:
Fucked around and found out.

Everyone saying Mike will get sued… for what exactly? What damages? Medical bills? Guy probably needed an ice pack. Pain and suffering? Seems like he was all right immediately afterwards. And he instigated the fight on video. I know America is a very litigious country, but you have to actually show damages to get money in a lawsuit.

You can’t run up on someone in a confined space and scream in their face until they punch you and then expect a bunch of money.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Am I the only one thinking Mike Tyson was in the wrong here?

Do we know what preceded the assault or does everyone just like Mike Tyson for some reason?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Am I the only one thinking Mike Tyson was in the wrong here?

Do we know what preceded the assault or does everyone just like Mike Tyson for some reason?
There is a longer video of the drunk clown harassing Mike Tyson, and apparently he threw a water bottle that hit Mike in the head which caused him to retaliate and give him some love taps.

I imagine if the water bottle thing is true then Iron Mike probably won't need to pay that asshole anything since a good lawyer can probably talk that into self defense or something. just my guess base on my near zero insight of law of course.

on a side note, if that dude is 20 or even 10 years older, I imagine he won't be trying to fuck with Mike even when drunk. us old farts had seen Mike in his prime and know how scary he can be and nobody in their right mind would try to fuck with him, especially in an enclosed space.

Last edited:
The two situations are completely different. Comparing the two is pointless.

is it? both situations are someone responding with physical violence to some perceived verbal provocation

the nuance of circumstance is ripe for hypocrisy when you think you’re able to make a judgement on where the line is drawn, where you think in some circumstances it is appropriate to escalate to assault and some not…you will tie yourself in knots

in this particular circumstance, like in Will Smith drama, there is no mention of any attempt to deescalate this situation other than having to hit someone

This and Will Smith thread are interesting comparison pieces

Well, the way I look at the two:

Will was in a situation where comedy happens, he knows it’s going to be offensive because everyone gets roasted every year, he initially laughed, then decided to get up and assault a man. It was a weak joke about his wife that she didn’t laugh at, and Regina made a joke the same night about the entanglement and Jada didn’t have a problem with that. Interesting. A joke about a situation where she made her man look like a bitch is funny, but, a lame joke about GI Jane got her in her feels over a condition she has where the hair follicle doesn’t die so she has a chance to grow her hair back, or, as a rich person, is able to afford the best, most realistic wigs, as well as hair replacement treatments.

In this situation, this douchebag was told to fuck off (obviously not in those words) and kept bothering Tyson who just wanted to chill in his seat.

Two different situations. If you’re going to harass a guy, especially after you’ve been asked to stop, you deserve every punch you get.

When you’re a comedian, who has told offensive jokes before, and only reacted after initially laughing because your puppeteer didn’t like the joke, you’re just a douchebag who doesn’t wear the pants in the family. A joke was told simply in the name of comedy in a setting where it’s to be expected.

Two different situations.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
is it? both situations are someone responding with physical violence to some perceived verbal provocation

the nuance of circumstance is ripe for hypocrisy when you think you’re able to make a judgement on where the line is drawn, where you think in some circumstances it is appropriate to escalate to assault and some not…you will tie yourself in knots

in this particular circumstance, like in Will Smith drama, there is no mention of any attempt to deescalate this situation other than having to hit someone
Huge difference between Chris Rock making a shit "joke" at an awards show and Will Smith going off on him with a smack and walking away. Versus Mike Tyson who was getting openly harassed in a tightly packed public repeatedly by a drunken moron who he told to stop and then went off on him.

Both situations might have ended in a form of violence, but the Tyson situation involved more provocation and more patience on behalf of Tyson himself vs Will. Tyson showed a tremendous amount of good will and patience by taking a selfie with the drunk guy despite it being a late flight. He tried to work with the guy and then when he had enough he warned him. But the guy just would not stop. The guy had "fucked around" and then Tyson went about demonstrating the "finding out" part of the equation.

Will Smith went from 0-60 in seconds. Tyson showed MUCH more restraint and despite his ferocious reputation he gave that guy more patience than I think anyone would expect from him and even THEN he pulled his punches.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
FNDU8xn.jpg

This is making me laugh much more than it probably should.
Mads Mikkelsen Oops GIF by James Bond 007

Tyson is in the right. Those look like he is trying to bitch slap the guy not kill him. See any of his punches for comparison.

The guy had it coming.

Last edited:

JahRumble

Banned
Violence isn't the answer, it's an option.

Don't go around trying to convince people that it's the answer and you'll be fine.

If Tyson gets charged for this, they'll be right to charge him but morally he is correct in my books.

The idiot is gonna sue his ass and win, you cant physically assault someone just because he annoys you.
On what grounds? That he had a bump on the head and a bloody lip? After he instigated a fight on an airplane by repeatedly leering over the seat, screaming in his ear and acting aggressively? He might get $1000 for the embarrassment. Tyson should just sue to airline for not throwing this asshole off the plane in that case.

I don’t know where this notion you can just win a million dollars because someone smacks you upside the head comes from.

Last edited:
On what grounds? That he had a bump on the head and a bloody lip? After he instigated a fight on an airplane by repeatedly leering over the seat, screaming in his ear and acting aggressively? He might get $1000 for the embarrassment. Tyson should just sue to airline for not throwing this asshole off the plane in that case.

I don’t know where this notion you can just win a million dollars because someone smacks you upside the head comes from.

This man is absolutely gonna get paid. It may not be millions. But he absolutely will get paid at least in the 10's of thousands of dollars.

Kimahri

Banned
Huge difference between Chris Rock making a shit "joke" at an awards show and Will Smith going off on him with a smack and walking away. Versus Mike Tyson who was getting openly harassed in a tightly packed public repeatedly by a drunken moron who he told to stop and then went off on him.

Both situations might have ended in a form of violence, but the Tyson situation involved more provocation and more patience on behalf of Tyson himself vs Will. Tyson showed a tremendous amount of good will and patience by taking a selfie with the drunk guy despite it being a late flight. He tried to work with the guy and then when he had enough he warned him. But the guy just would not stop. The guy had "fucked around" and then Tyson went about demonstrating the "finding out" part of the equation.

Will Smith went from 0-60 in seconds. Tyson showed MUCH more restraint and despite his ferocious reputation he gave that guy more patience than I think anyone would expect from him and even THEN he pulled his punches.
Don't disagree with any of this, but it still flies in the face of the vere vocal "violence is never acceptable" crowd that was very up and about after the Will Smith thing.

Tyson drew blood, but is cheered on.

Hey, I'm cheering him on too, but to act like there's no double standards here is kinda funny.

GymWolf

Physical assault because someone annoys you is still illegal dude, and he has video proof.

Also tyson is an ex-boxer and usually law is more severe with people who know how to fight because they are aware that they can do more damage to people in a fight, kinda of an abstract concept but it is something that a good lawyer can use.

The dude can go to his doctor and get an exagerated estimation of damage and sue tyson, he is probably gonna try to scam tyson to get a payoff and he is the one who keeps the knife from the handle in this situation.

I'm not happy that this moron is gonna get paid, i'm just saying what most people think when something like this happen.

Physical assault is still physical assault, a bottle to the head as a joke is not enough to punch a dude in the face (for the law).

P.s. also tyson is not exactly a saint, he has history of violence.

SJRB

Gold Member
Judging by that aftermath pic he really, REALLY held back because he would've knocked that scrawny kid's head clean off.

I love how everyone is just totally okay with this instead of going after him for punching someone.

So I can only conclude that it's okay to punch social media turds. Hunting season is open! Thanks Mike!

Last edited:
Physical assault because someone annoys you is still illegal dude, and he has video proof.

Also tyson is an ex-boxer and usually law is more severe with people who know how to fight because they are aware that they can do more damage to people in a fight, kinda of an abstract concept but it is something that a good lawyer can use.

The dude can go to his doctor and get an exagerated estimation of damage and sue tyson, he is probably gonna try to scam tyson to get a payoff and he is the one who keeps the knife from the handle in this situation.

I'm not happy that this moron is gonna get paid, i'm just saying what most people think when something like this happen.

Physical assault is still physical assault, a bottle to the head as a joke is not enough to punch a dude in the face (for the law).

P.s. also tyson is not exactly a saint, he has history of violence.
The law is more severe to people who can do more damage if they actually do more damage. This is misdemeanor assault. Particularly because you can see the obvious provocation in a confined, public space. Tyson will pay a fine. He likely has decent lawyers, so this will be no big deal for him.

Second, you cannot sue someone for a large sum of money just because they do something that is illegal. You have to show damages or pain and suffering. And doctor shopping isn’t as easy as you make it sound. Particularly when he very clearly had a bloody lip and a bump on his forehead. Just finding a doctor to say “yes, you have brain damage” or whatever isn’t so easy. You need CT scans and other tests to at least indicate injuries.

Lawsuits are a lot more complicated than “someone broke the law, give me my money”.

This man is absolutely gonna get paid. It may not be millions. But he absolutely will get paid at least in the 10's of thousands of dollars.
Again, based on what? He broke airline policies, was aggressive with a fellow passenger, repeatedly, and got a bloody lip for his trouble. He will be lucky to see a dime, all of which will go to some POS lawyer if he somehow did. You can’t walk into a bus, sit next to someone and scream in their face until they hit you, then collect your thousands of dollars. I amazes me people believe this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The law is more severe to people who can do more damage if they actually do more damage. This is misdemeanor assault. Particularly because you can see the obvious provocation in a confined, public space. Tyson will pay a fine. He likely has decent lawyers, so this will be no big deal for him.

Second, you cannot sue someone for a large sum of money just because they do something that is illegal. You have to show damages or pain and suffering. And doctor shopping isn’t as easy as you make it sound. Particularly when he very clearly had a bloody lip and a bump on his forehead. Just finding a doctor to say “yes, you have brain damage” or whatever isn’t so easy. You need CT scans and other tests to at least indicate injuries.

Lawsuits are a lot more complicated than “someone broke the law, give me my money”.
Hopefully the dude is not gonna g6et a big payday, but tyson was a bit stupid to not use verbal menaces before talking with his punches, an angry tyson yelling at you to stop is probably enough to scare 90% of clowns out there.

Again, based on what? He broke airline policies, was aggressive with a fellow passenger, repeatedly, and got a bloody lip for his trouble. He will be lucky to see a dime, all of which will go to some POS lawyer if he somehow did. You can’t walk into a bus, sit next to someone and scream in their face until they hit you, then collect your thousands of dollars. I amazes me people believe this.

You absolutely could sue someone who hit you on a bus. Except someone who rides a bus is likely too poor to pay a settlement. And a court ordered payment would be small. And will likely not be worth the time effort and lawyer fees.

Also criminal law has nothing to do with civil law. It does not even matter if somehow Tyson is not prosecuted for assault. He can still get taken to civil court and lose.

My bet is this gets settled out of court. And Tyson will pay at least 6 figures to keep this out of the courts entirely.

You absolutely could sue someone who hit you on a bus. Except someone who rides a bus is likely too poor to pay a settlement. And a court ordered payment would be small. And will likely not be worth the time effort and lawyer fees.

Also criminal law has nothing to do with civil law. It does not even matter if somehow Tyson is not prosecuted for assault. He can still get taken to civil court and lose.

My bet is this gets settled out of court. And Tyson will pay at least 6 figures to keep this out of the courts entirely.
Yeah, not likely. Again, you cannot scream and physically impose yourself upon someone in a confined, public space until they strike you and then attempt to extort them for money. Most courts will not reward that behavior.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

1.) Mike Tyson was continuously harassed on a plane. Security/Stewards did nothing to stop the situation from escalating. Mike Tyson, after having a water bottle thrown at him by the harasser, defended himself.

2.) Chris Rock made a very minor joke about Will Smith's Wife in a venue where he was paid to make jokes about the people in the audience. Will Smith decides to attack him over it.

If you really, genuinely can't tell the difference between the two, you have major issues you need to work through. That goes for anyone trying to act like people are being hypocritical. Use your damn brains.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Haven't we all learned by now, with carefully cut footage where it's missing key evidence of Mike and the altercation just moments or seconds before the love taps?

It has the kid harassing him, hanging over his seat yelling shit to him, then we have it right when Tyson is tightening him up.

We've all been down this road, and many people have always been made a fool. Release the full videos you carefully edited cowards. We know it exists and the cameras didn't stop rolling.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, that guy is lucky he messed with post weed Mike. If this was before Mike started smoking weed, that guy might not have made it.

This guy is probably going to sue tho, which is trash.

Top Bottom