• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Spend More Time Playing Video Games Than Gen Z and Teens

Nydius

I'm out of the loop here, gen Z, millennials... I was born in the 70s what the fock am i lol?
Gen X, like me.

Though because I was born in 77, lots of places like giving me the stupid “Xennial” micro generation title. I don’t buy into that. I’m Gen X through and through. Sarcastic to the core, and no amount of Oregon Trail or Carmen Sandiego would change that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gen Z are addicted to TikTok.
Came to say this
—-
Also, Gen Z encompasses teens, so it’s redundant to say “Gen Z and teens”. My kids are Gen Z teens and I’m a Millennial. I definitely don’t play games more than them, I’d suspect that article is referring to singles without children.

RSLAEV

What about Gen X?
ETBLsgD.jpg

They'd rather watch streamers play the games than actually play them themselves. Sad.
I get it. I used to enjoy watching my older cousin smash games I was intimidated by and my younger brother used to watch me play Zelda.

It’s a dynamic not really talked about much in gaming.

Lethal01

it's a great divider though. I have friends who own a tech company, quite a large one (not Corporation large, but worth millions), and when I flew their jet to a convention, they mentioned how this has been great for weeding out unwanted people. If you're in tech and you left your job because you didn't want to be in the office, you singled yourself out for every hiring manager as a problem hire and aren't wanted by executives.

On top of that, a bunch of them brag on twitter about how if their jobs making them go back, they'll quit. How very intelligent of you to trash your employer in public under your own name.
they should keep separating themselves from hard working peers.

It helped me weed out unwanted employers now I get to make more money and stay at home.

Cyberpunkd

You'd be surprised how many people have a routine of work and staying at home (therefore playing video games). Why bother spending stupid money going out when it's cheaper to stay at home and play games, binge netflix, etc. Shit is too expensive these days.

Teenagers and kids are still staying at home. At the most they are spending their time studying/doing part time jobs. Most <18 year olds still don't really understand the true value of money and don't have to worry about paying rent/buying food so their money is more likely to be spent on going out, travelling, partying, etc.
These are Gen Z, not millennials, they are 30+ now.

Sleepwalker

Makes sense. I played a lot less games in high school and college. The one thing on my mind that wasn't hockey/gym walked on two legs, and had nothing dangling in between them (since you have to specify nowadays). I most certainly play more games now than I did back then. Games were something we played the boys were drunk alone, or when I was home in the summer/at christmas.
Pretty much this. I came back to gaming after I graduated university and started work life.

Possible if you do nothing else, but why would you do that?

22 hours a week gaming? As a millennial myself, have these millennials no lives?
If your not a hyper social person, don't have kids or work from home its very possible to game 3 hours a day and still have time to do other things lol.

For me personally, I would be lucky to get like 6 hours a week gaming but I do know people that game at least 10 hours+ a week and its usually because they don't go out a lot after work or have no kids.

zomboden

Banned
40% of millenials game more than 22 hrs per week? How is that possible with work? Unless you do nothing else outside work than play videogames.
Imagine working 40 hours a week and then not gaming at least 40 hours a week. Capitalism got me fucked up if they think I won't sleep 6 hours a night so I can play games more than I work.

Also I don't have a family and live alone.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Gen X, like me.

Though because I was born in 77, lots of places like giving me the stupid “Xennial” micro generation title. I don’t buy into that. I’m Gen X through and through. Sarcastic to the core, and no amount of Oregon Trail or Carmen Sandiego would change that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Took the words out of my mouth, 75 here bro
Handshake Bros GIF

Don't know who the heck is Carmen Sandiego or Oregon Trail do,
I'm portuguese lol

Nydius

Don't know who the heck is Carmen Sandiego or Oregon Trail do,
I'm portuguese lol
It's okay! :messenger_beaming:

They were early "Edutainment" video games on Apple ][e (and Commodore 64) computers that started popping up in US schools around the time we later Gen X'ers were in middle school. Oregon Trail was basically the world's first popular video game survival 'sim' (for lack of a better term) and the Carmen Sandiego titles were a series of history and geography games where you were trying to find people who stole random historical items from around the world.

And then there was good ol' Print Shop.

Last edited:
The real takeaway is there are now 2 generations after gen Z, making that 3 generations of people after me. Two of which apparently aren't even named yet. Damn that makes me feel old.

Lethal01

Sure, until you don't. And even if you keep that job, you'll be a tiny minority. Shareholders are deciding it's time for people to get back to the office.

Months don't go by without me getting another job opportunity, that aside.
Again, just sounds like the companies you are looking at are trash and like I said, this little "issue" has been great in letting me see how many aren't up to my standards.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
very few people have 3 hours a day to sit in front of a tv. Plus, gaming isn't the only hobby people have.
Never said it was the only hobby anybody would have.

I also said free time, which means doing anything you want.

-

As for other comments on having enough time for games when working 40 hours a week:

If you worked a regular 9-5 job. After work that leaves you with 7-8 hours of time left before you sleep.

People can EASILY fit 3 hours in there unless they are terrible at using their time well. With kids would be a bit harder obviously, but still not that difficult.

Last edited:

MikeM

-

As for other comments on having enough time for games when working 40 hours a week:

If you worked a regular 9-5 job. After work that leaves you with 7-8 hours of time left before you sleep.

People can EASILY fit 3 hours in there unless they are terrible at using their time well. With kids would be a bit harder obviously, but still not that difficult.
Yep. I manage to fit gym time, work, family time and gaming time into 24 hours. Its entirely doable.

Fools idol

Banned
my 14 year old nephew and all of his friends spend every second they have outside of school on social media and tiktok. They literally do nothing else. I don't think he has even used the console my brother bought him for xmas this year lol.

We had a bbq at my brothers house a few weekends ago and all 4 of the kids didnt look up from their phones for the entire 4-5 hours we were there. This generation of kids is gonna have issues for sure.

They spend definatley more time on their phones. Rarely do I now hear a kid of having a new console, its all about League of Legends and Genshin for them. We never had that growing up, we played only when we got home. They play at home, in school, during break time....all the time.

Lunarorbit

Suck my millennial balls!

Just bought brain age 2, need for speed and death stranding for $19.92 at game Force in Aurora co.

Come get some!

Lunarorbit

Yes, I agree. Well said. Suck my millennial balls too, haters.
Yeah!

Honestly, everything is still so expensive and I have a giant backlog just on consoles. I've never done mobile gaming; actually was playing metroid 2 samus returns on my 3ds at work today. Then I drove to a used game store.

I've mentioned it several times before but the library back at my hometown had a ton of games to borrow. So that saved lots of money.

Having played games since Atari I have no problem going back and playing jackal on nes nowadays. I don't know how appealing retro games are to lots of younger gamers. So my selection of free/low cost/emulated games is much higher than your average gen Z gamer

Rockondevil

40% of millenials game more than 22 hrs per week? How is that possible with work? Unless you do nothing else outside work than play videogames.
I watch movies too, but I could easily get that time if I only gamed.
My wife and kid go to bed about 2.5-3 hours before I do.
That alone is 21 hours if I wanted it to be, not including any extra time I may get on weekends.

Last edited:
New games aren’t that great. Their full of monetization and other bullshit. Us millennials are hanging onto the good old days, and quite frankly, it’s not the same

I am a bit offended to learn that I am called "millennial" but whatever.

I'd like to know more about the demographics of the group who answered this survey - are they representative for the whole different generations? What's the distribution between males/females etc?

I'm sure a lot of people game more than 22 hours a week, but no way 40% of every millennial. Surely the average Fandom visitor plays more video game than the average person..?

Garibaldi

If you're in tech and you left your job because you didn't want to be in the office, you singled yourself out for every hiring manager as a problem hire and aren't wanted by executives.

On top of that, a bunch of them brag on twitter about how if their jobs making them go back, they'll quit. How very intelligent of you to trash your employer in public under your own name.
they should keep separating themselves from hard working peers.

I've been a Dev for over twenty years now. Work in the architectural/service design side now.

Many of us kept these companies afloat when we didn't miss a beat after lockdown occurred in March 2020 (UK). Having to work in sweaty kitchens, with kids running about like crazy. I spent thousands retrofitting a specific room so I could be productive. Worked silly hours when required, because I knew when I clocked off I didn't have a fucking 90 minute single way trip home. I wasn't the only one too.

Don't tell me we are bad hires because we see how utterly redundant all that bullshit was now. Everything we need isn't even in the bloody offices they are desperate to get us back too. It's all on GitHub and AWS so we're literally cart ourselves to a shitty hot desk to use some corp broadband, which is worse than I have at home.

Hell, the office wouldn't even be theirs anymore we we all just downed tools when we were told not to leave the house except to walk the dog.

Plus, don't even get me started on the environmental impact of us all not still still fancying stopping in traffic for hours each day too.

-

lol you can tell when someone hasn't raised children. Not that difficult? That's absolutely absurd. Raising my nephew (long story) was the busiest time of my life.

I've been a Dev for over twenty years now. Work in the architectural/service design side now.

Many of us kept these companies afloat when we didn't miss a beat after lockdown occurred in March 2020 (UK). Having to work in sweaty kitchens, with kids running about like crazy. I spent thousands retrofitting a specific room so I could be productive. Worked silly hours when required, because I knew when I clocked off I didn't have a fucking 90 minute single way trip home. I wasn't the only one too.

Don't tell me we are bad hires because we see how utterly redundant all that bullshit was now. Everything we need isn't even in the bloody offices they are desperate to get us back too. It's all on GitHub and AWS so we're literally cart ourselves to a shitty hot desk to use some corp broadband, which is worse than I have at home.

Hell, the office wouldn't even be theirs anymore we we all just downed tools when we were told not to leave the house except to walk the dog.

Plus, don't even get me started on the environmental impact of us all not still still fancying stopping in traffic for hours each day too.
look, I don't care if it upsets you, I have no pity for people crying about not wanting to go back to work. Welcome to adulting, management says you come to work, you come to work.

Bragr

Banned
The title should be "millennials spend more time playing video games within the global fandom userbase".

"The 2023 Inside Gaming report identifies macro-level entertainment patterns and trends based on a survey of 15,000 Global Fandom users."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Were they expecting zoomers to do it more because the boomer said so? :) The industry got better and it kept its fans. That’s a good thing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
lol you can tell when someone hasn't raised children. Not that difficult? That's absolutely absurd. Raising my nephew (long story) was the busiest time of my life.
That's nice. You seem deeply offended that some people have more free time than you. I never said raising a kid wasn't difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom