• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly Half Of Gamers Want More Games Based On Film And TV, Survey Reveals

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
e54d4a36-75a4-481d-936d-47956fc448b9.jpg

Deloitte recently conducted its 17th annual Digital Media Trends study, and it drew some interesting conclusions about the current gaming audience. As reported by GamesBeat, in addition to finding that younger gamers are more likely to "weave" different digital media activities such as watching TV and playing video games together, the survey also found that 45% of consumers surveyed want more games based on their favorite movies and TV shows.

The overall conclusions of the survey seem to point to a merging together of digital media. For example, 49% of gamers surveyed said that they often discover new music when playing video games, and that 44% of gamers have decided to play a specific video game after watching a specific movie or TV show. Additionally, 50% of consumers said that user-generated videos (like those made by influencers) helped them discover new products or services to buy.

The survey also found that gaming has become an important form of socialization for many gamers. For example, 62% of "committed gamers" said that meeting up with their friends in video games is an important way to spend time together, compared to 29% of casual gamers. Additionally, 40% of millennials and Gen Z respondents said that they socialize more in video games than the real world.

ProtoByte

I don't know about film and television; there's not usually enough meat there for full games.
But IP in general? Almost without a doubt. EA's already booked to spend most of their single player capital on Marvel between Iron Man and Black Panther; Ubisoft's making Avatar and Star Wars games; Shueisha is ramping up their licensing; and I would be surprised if PlayStation hasn't at least talked about doing more even beyond Wolverine.

It's not going to subsume the entire pipeline, but there's not much reason to not use the Dresden Files license if you want to make an urban fantasy game and not have it be from World of Darkness for whatever reason.

Perrott

Gold Member
I won't get out of here until I'm given my heist game based on the universe of Christopher Nolan's Inception.

nush

I remember times where games based on films were notoriously bad.

Developers stepped away from them because the license was expensive and restricting. Shit games rushed out to sell on the name and people got wise to it. The Lego games did OK, because they just reskinned a game that worked without a license to begin with.

Go back and see how many licenced games there were at the start of the PS360 gen, you won't remember them because they were shit.

Top Bottom