• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Dungeons Review thread

chixdiggit

Out May 26 PC/Xbox/Switch/PS4
Summary: What exactly is Minecraft: Dungeons? It's an all-new action-adventure game inspired by classic dungeon crawlers, where you'll constantly discover new weapons and items that will help you defeat a ruthless swarm of new-and-nasty mobs. You'll fight or flee through canyons, swamps and of course mines. You can brave the dungeons alone, or team up with friends. Up to four players can battle together through action-packed, treasure-stuffed, wildly varied levels, all in an epic quest to save the villagers and take down the evil Arch-Illager.

General consensus is it's fun but short (3.5 hours to play through once) but offers a lot of replay value.
Destructoid: 8

PowerUp Gaming: 9.3

Windows Central: 9

Attack of the Fanboy: 8

GameSpew: 8

Trusted Reviews: 7

True Achievements: 8

PCGamesN: 7

GamingBible: 8

Skill up: Not reccomended

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I watched some streamers play it, and it's incredibly basic. Even the replayability is questionable. It doesn't have a Diablo style gear system: it just has fixed loot you get randomly. There are no affixes or prefixes or randomization in stats. Plus character progression is primitive as hell, and levels are linear.

It looks like an afternoon of coop fun.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I watched some streamers play it, and it's incredibly basic. Even the replayability is questionable. It doesn't have a Diablo style gear system: it just has fixed loot you get randomly. There are no affixes or prefixes or randomization in stats. Plus character progression is primitive as hell, and levels are linear.

It's a a game made by three or four people from Mojang in their spare time, what did you expect?

martino

feeling shared.

Vawn

Banned
I was informed this game will sell over 100 million copies. I'm going to take the under.

But, it does look fun. I plan to pick it up on Switch. Sadly, my one kid who is still a Minecraft fan, won't play this with me. He says it looks stupid. 😔

Resenge

Bummer. An ARPG that is bare on content might as well not even exist. :lollipop_weary:
I agree, He mentioned only getting a couple of loot drops per level. I'll check it out on gamepass but I think this review shows me everything I need to know.

If you want to play a procedurally generated ARPG you'd be better off playing Children of Morta which is also on gamepass.

Nice, I'll look it up.

Last edited:

Minecraft has always been basic for any ages

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
General consensus is it's fun but short (3.5 hours to play through once) but offers a lot of replay value

I don't mind shorter games, but that's pushing it. Especially in an action RPG. That's barely enough time to get invested in my character progression. I'm not really into the "play the game over and over on higher difficulties" thing.

Do we know how much this is on Switch?

Vawn

Banned
Is the embargo lifted? Curious why we didn't get review drops from the bigger outlets like IGN, GameSpot, etc.

chixdiggit

I don't mind shorter games, but that's pushing it. Especially in an action RPG. That's barely enough time to get invested in my character progression. I'm not really into the "play the game over and over on higher difficulties" thing.
Definitely disappointing. But I'm looking at it as a fun afternoon on Gamepass.

McCheese

Between this and Minecraft earth it feels like Microsoft really don't understand what people want from the Minecraft IP.

4 hours of very basic dungeon crawling, no random stats or itemisation. Sounds like a "my first diablo" rather than something worthy of the Minecraft name, which is associated with longitivity and customisation.

Last edited:
My expectations lowered greatly when I saw it was only $20. So these reviews are very surprising. I was expecting 6’s at best.

pr0cs

Seems like a wasted opportunity.
I can understand trying to get minecraft gamers into a different genre, certainly Gears Tactics worked out well.
But to seriously gimp the experience feels like they didn't believe that anyone would take it seriously.
A shame really because the gameplay videos look fun but sounds like the game overall is a shallow puddle rather than a pool.

I'll still go through it once on gamepass but disappointed they didn't bother putting any effort behind it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like people have pretty high expectations for a $20 game. Personally I never expected it to have much depth to it, but it does look like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Vawn

Banned
I feel like people have pretty high expectations for a $20 game. Personally I never expected it to have much depth to it, but it does look like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

I've played a bunch of fantastic $20 games that have much longer campaigns than 3.5 hours.

Wccftech’s review: “The shallowest of depths”

Minecraft Dungeons is short, sweet, and uncomplicated. And for a genre with a history of complex menus and an overwhelming desire to crush you under numbers, that can be a mixed bag.

Top Bottom