• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB to experiment with new extra inning rules in minor leagues this coming season

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjc571

Banned
So if a pitcher has a perfect game through 9 but the game is scoreless, he automatically loses the perfect game in the 10th? Or if the runner on second doesn't count as breaking up the perfect game, that means the runner could steal third and home or score on a wild pitch or a passed ball or a sac fly and the pitcher can get credit with a complete perfect game and still lose.

clemenx

Banned
Does Manfred even like baseball? His whole tenure has been about complaining about this and wanting to change that.

Acinixys

Baseball is Cricket for babies anyway

Just join the rest of the world and play some real sports for once

Then silly things like this wont bother you any more

Does Manfred even like baseball? His whole tenure has been about complaining about this and wanting to change that.

From how the article frames it, I wonder how much of this particular change is to do with Torre.

Baseball is Cricket for babies anyway

Just join the rest of the world and play some real sports for once

Then silly things like this wont bother you any more

I'm not sure 5-day-long matches would do much to satiate people who can't deal with 4-hour games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No more gloves

Fantastic idea!

abfS6xX.gif

Is it mentioned anywhere about how it is decided who gets dropped to 2nd base?

Does the team have to burn a bench player? Do they get to choose the player? Is it a player already pulled from the game? I mean how does this work?

What if this person is fucking BIlly Hamilton...

Funny, I tune into MLB only when it is in the 9th or extra innings.

So maybe do that 2nd base thing for the entire game until extra innings.

I played baseball growing up, still play slo-pitch but will not be caught dead watching the first 145 games of the MLB season.

Is it mentioned anywhere about how it is decided who gets dropped to 2nd base?

Does the team have to burn a bench player? Do they get to choose the player? Is it a player already pulled from the game? I mean how does this work?

What if this person is fucking BIlly Hamilton...
If this makes its way to the majors the Reds struck gold just by having Billy there.

A-V-B

That's stupid. If the rule goes through to the MLB, I'm just walking out of an extra innings game when the 9th ends.

clav

Look at any major league club's website and their minor league affiliates. You should see a number of rookie ball clubs.

Oh. Somehow my searches were saying the tickets are free since there are no admission fees nor concession stands.

Answer is probably more complex than a simple yes/no.

These are likely to include their DCL and PCL teams as well as various rookie ball leagues and teams.

What do those abbreviations mean? I get ? did you mean for the first and medical terms for the later.

Interesting to see how this would pan out. What determines which runner is placed on 2nd at the beginning of each extra inning? Is it just who is up next in the batting order? Would teams take an intentional out in previous innings if there is a speedster up first next inning?

I am all about pace of play changes, but I feel like this changes the game too much and there are some holes that can be cut in it.

Sulik2

Just institute a pitch clock and a digital strike zone. Problem solved with games going too long.

And being the DH to the NL while you are making changes.

mnannola

Would much rather seem them cut the amount of regular season games if they are worried about fatigue from extra innings.

Cut the season in half and it makes the regular season much more interesting to me.

Teams shouldn't be assisted with getting players on base for the sake of speeding up the game. Also, I wonder how this would affect the OBP of the person who is placed on 2nd at the beginning of the at-bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom