• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare III sets new engagement records

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No. It's not. I play counter strike to a pretty damn high level. I never call anyone sweaty who is better than me. I'll also get shit on by people in cod, I've played with and against pro players on cod back in the day. I know when someone is better than me.

I'm talking about people camping, not playing the objective, stat whoring, baiting, using scummy weapons and perks which I refuse to use because they are busted. That is sweaty. Please don't patronise me. I have no dunning kruger or delusions of my skill level. I know I'm not the best. I'm just unfortunately one of the victims of being good enough to have a miserable time with cods sbmm.

I've played aloooooot of different multiplayer games in my day and I just can't wrap my head around the "These players aren't better than me, they're just sweatier" excuse. It has always been met with an eyeroll from me.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with CoD so perhaps you're right.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know that it's all the rage on this forum to shit on Microsoft and call of duty, but I'm confused a bit on how this data would mean the game is a flop?

The campaign for this game is absolute trash.

But the engagement comparison (whatever the hell that even means) is directly compared to the previous 2 modern warfare games. If it's actually better than thr previous 2 games, how does the data represent it being a flop?

I dont keep up with numbers and records at all, so I'll definitely require a simplified explanation lol.
It doesn’t tell us anything really but with how COD has bragged about breaking sales records in the past like first 24 hours and 1 week sales and we haven’t gotten any mention of sales numbers points to lower sales but how low no one here knows.

All this engagement stuff likely means is technically you could say that if 100 people bought a product but played it on average of 50 hours each vs 10 million people who played it 20 hours.

odhiex

First, it's all about the total units sold.

Then, it's all about the number of players (engagement).

Now, it's all about the total hours played (engagement).

What is next?

Deerock71

bride weddings GIF

Three

It doesn’t tell us anything really but with how COD has bragged about breaking sales records in the past like first 24 hours and 1 week sales and we haven’t gotten any mention of sales numbers points to lower sales but how low no one here knows.
We have it at 25% lower in the UK:

But the fact that Activision themselves didn't brag about sales tells me they don't want that information out there.
First, it's all about the total units sold.

Then, it's all about the number of players (engagement).

Now, it's all about the total hours played (engagement).

What is next?
Bullets shot per player.

But in all seriousness right now it's not even total hours played anymore (which would be affected by number of players going down) but about hours played per person.

twilo99

ive been playing it the past 2 days and its a lot of fun. These maps are so damn good

Its my first time playing them, and yes, I can see why they are generally liked, but I do miss some maps from the 2019 pool.

Its incredible how many maps they have in total... I've always thought that their map design teams are very talented in general. I know that warzone gets no love here, but I personally think that the big maps are pretty great considering the scale.

twilo99

We have it at 25% lower in the UK:

But the fact that Activision themselves didn't brag about sales tells me they don't want that information out there.

They never brag unless it sells more than the previous title.

How many copies did MWII sell in the UK? It will interesting to subtract 25% and see what they actually sold there this time around.

Three

How many copies did MWII sell in the UK? It will interesting to subtract 25% and see what they actually sold there this time around.
I don't think we got any absolute figures, only relative ones. What's particularly interesting is that there are MW3 PS5 bundles that count towards Gfk data and PS5 sales are up significantly this year but MW sales down. The decline must be large enough to offset any gains from the PS5 bundle increase.

Last edited:

twilo99

I don't think we got any absolute figures, only relative ones. What's particularly interesting is that there are MW3 PS5 bundles that count towards Gfk data and PS5 sales are up significantly this year but MW sales down. The decline must be large enough to offset any gains from the PS5 bundle increase.

Do we have numbers for the MWIII bundle specifically?

MWII sold a lot based on hype and expectations, because it’s not really a good game, so they certainly lost some of the seemingly bottomless good faith their customers have.

Three

Do we have numbers for the MWIII bundle specifically?

MWII sold a lot based on hype and expectations, because it’s not really a good game, so they certainly lost some of the seemingly bottomless good faith their customers have.
We don't unfortunately. Last year we had MW2 and Ragnarok bundles. This year we have MW3 bundled at no extra cost and Spider-Man 2 bundles. This year PS5 sales are up 143% so it's a little surprising to see MW3 still track 25% lower with the PS5 bundle included in the data. PS5 bundle sales increase didn't offset it much it seems.

Last edited:
Of course they would be touting engagement as the entire franchise has been reworked into a battle pass/ camo grind/ recycled map drip feed.
So much of modern gaming sucks, it’s literally predatory trash enticing you to stay in their micro-transaction hellscape, yet the sheep line up for their annual dose time after time. Enjoy being an engagement statistic I guess.

MacReady13

Microsoft training all of their new purchases that sales don't mean anything anymore- it's all about that ever so important engagement numbers! What a joke this has all become, and all because Microsoft fucked up the previous generation- couldn't sell enough consoles and created a sub service that doesn't rely on sales numbers but engagement numbers. Pathetic.

twilo99

Let's see how Treyarch does next year, but I somehow doubt they'll ever beat MWII in terms of sales.. that one did some crazy numbers.

Of course they would be touting engagement as the entire franchise has been reworked into a battle pass/ camo grind/ recycled map drip feed.
So much of modern gaming sucks, it’s literally predatory trash enticing you to stay in their micro-transaction hellscape, yet the sheep line up for their annual dose time after time. Enjoy being an engagement statistic I guess.

Free games like Warzone and Fortninte won't exsist without that model..

Top Bottom