• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters | Apple TV+[Godzilla Series]

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters will premiere on Apple TV+ on November 17

Apple_TV_Monarch_Legacy_of_Monsters_key_art_graphic_header_4_1_show_home.jpg.large.jpg

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters” tracks two siblings following in their father’s footsteps to uncover their family’s connection to the secretive organization known as Monarch.
Clues lead them into the world of monsters and ultimately down the rabbit hole to Army officer Lee Shaw (played by Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell), taking place in the 1950s and half a century later where Monarch is threatened by what Shaw knows.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You give me giant monsters/sharks/crocodiles and have a budget and ambitions larger than Asylum I will watch it.

ManaByte

I'm sure this is not gonna be 95% boring people talking about shit no one cares and 5% monsters goodness...

It actually sounds pretty cool. Kurt Russell is the main character, and he's in two time periods. His son (US Agent in the MCU and can sound a LOT like his dad) plays the younger version in the past.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It actually sounds pretty cool. Kurt Russell is the main character, and he's in two time periods. His son (US Agent in the MCU and can sound a LOT like his dad) plays the younger version in the past.
I love kurt, but you don't watch this stuff for the human side, cmon.

I guess it is better to watch him talking about monsters than the annoying chick from stranger things that we had in the movies.

Esca

I'm a sucker for Godzilla and this stuff. I'm going to go back to the seas for this one matey

jason10mm

Gold Member
We need to go back to the days when a show would have a couple really high quality fx scenes and then just replay them over and over every few episodes.

Like the OG Battlestar Galactica, 60 seconds of battle footage used for 2 seasons :p

StueyDuck

Apple tv for me so far has been mostly quality and this looks like it has the budgies so colorme interested as someone whose not a big kaiju fan

Elysion

Banned
I hope this is more grounded, like Godzilla 2014 (or Skull Island), instead of that goofy sci-fi nonsense we got from the later movies. ‘Zilla 2014 almost felt like a horror movie at times, which makes it the best Godzilla movie imo.

VN1X

Banned
Looks decent enough! Will give it a watch.

Has anyone seen that Skull Island animated show on Netlfix? Is that any good?

This is Apple TV’s big Thanksgiving series. Right Between the Scorsese/ DiCaprio movie and Ridley Scott’s Napoleon. I think Apple knows this show is going to be 🔥

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

I’m wary of the slant they are going to take with the creation of Godzilla from its original nuance to something… more modern 🙄

Other than that, Godzilla = must watch! Ha.

TonyK

It will be like Invasion: 40 minutes of people speaking about whatever thing that doesn't make advance the plot and occasionally some action scene that conveniently occurs at night to hide the CGI as much as possible.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It will be like Invasion: 40 minutes of people speaking about whatever thing that doesn't make advance the plot and occasionally some action scene that conveniently occurs at night to hide the CGI as much as possible.
This has certainly been the template for sci-fi/fantasy lately, plus or minus the amount of $$$ spent on effects (Ring of Power, Foundation, etc). Only House of the Dragon remembers that SHIT NEEDS TO HAPPEN in sci-fi/fantasy, this isn't "prestige TV" where the viewer sits back and revels in character actors hamming it up in personal drama storylines while there is some background event going on. We want SPARTACUS! WE want GAME OF THRONES (early seasons!). We want Star Trek/Stargate/Farscape/Andromeda/Sliders/Eureka/on and on where problems arise, characters deal with said problems, the plot moves forward, and you don't need to see 40 minutes of a characters backstory to understand why they are scared of kittens.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

90% on RT

First episode was great, this came out today.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

You're thinking of Godzilla Minus One

Huh?

No, I don’t trust Apple to keep frayed modernization of drama out of G.

Not confusing the 2 bruh.

<— Massive G fan, own probably everything G ever made (lol), heck I play Giga Bash purely because it has Godzilla in it! Haha.

Billbofet

Watched the first two episodes and it is great so far. Love how it is able to hop between the movies they have released so far.
It's a bit of a slow burn and not monster-on-monster action like some might want, but can't wait to see more.
I do hope the younger characters get more interesting though - kinda tired of the angry youth trope.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

So awesome. Watch it.

Not produced by Apple. It’s still Legendary who does the Monsterverse movies. Apple just paid them for it.

I guess I should say, I trust HOLLYWOOD / the west less and less.

But yeah, so far legendary hasn’t p’d me off too much with Godzilla haha.

xrnzaaas

Not a fan after 2 episodes, the mystery behind the Monarch plans isn't something I'm desperate to learn, the family drama is boring (although not as awful as in the recent movies) and the green screen scenes are quite noticeable. Also the creatures they've featured so far seem to be taken from their c-tier list.

Last edited:
My wife and I lost interest after the first half hour. Might give it another chance but not looking good so far. The Japanese family drama being the worst part of it.

Edit: It doesn’t help that we know what happens after.

Last edited:
Top Bottom