• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monitors Unboxed - 30 New OLED Monitors in 2024: 4K 240Hz, 1440p 360Hz, 1440p 480Hz, Ultrawide 240Hz & More

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cookies And Cream Left Twix GIF by TWIX

hlm666

no new IPS monitors this year ?
I think I saw a couple in that new gsync monitor list in the gsync post HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 made yestwerday.

look through the list at the bottom of that post.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think these look really tempting, but 90% of my time is spend programming, which means I'm not suitable for an OLED panel sadly.
Yeah that would likely really shorten the life of the OLED but you would have 3 years of burn in coverage but in all honesty not sure its worth the risk

no new IPS monitors this year ?
Have seen mentions of several mini led monitors its just not catching the buzz the OLEDs are.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm going to snap up the first great 34"+ Ultrawide OLED with > 120Hz refresh rate and > 3440x1440p res.

OLED worry question: I've been playing an astronomical amount of Elden Ring on my current IPS Ultrawide, and it has the black bars to the sides. Doesn't bother me, but would that burn in on an OLED if you played it like 4-6 hours a day for a few weeks?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm going to snap up the first great 34"+ Ultrawide OLED with > 120Hz refresh rate and > 3440x1440p res.

OLED worry question: I've been playing an astronomical amount of Elden Ring on my current IPS Ultrawide, and it has the black bars to the sides. Doesn't bother me, but would that burn in on an OLED if you played it like 4-6 hours a day for a few weeks?
I spoke to LG about this very thing since I play my PS5 and Series X on my 45" ultrawide OLED and the LG guy was pretty honest and said it will eventually wear out unevenly and over time the black bars on the sides will be brighter as the center slowly degrades

Now how many hours will this take is the question and several places are upping their burn in warranty to 3 years

Tarin02543

That pulsar tech is fascinating, too bad it is not beneficial with normal frame rates so only good for the 4090 club

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I spoke to LG about this very thing since I play my PS5 and Series X on my 45" ultrawide OLED and the LG guy was pretty honest and said it will eventually wear out unevenly and over time the black bars on the sides will be brighter as the center slowly degrades

Now how many hours will this take is the question and several places are upping their burn in warranty to 3 years

Thanks, and that makes sense. If I do eventually buy an OLED, I'll definitely be getting it from a place that offers that length of warranty.

danklord

Gold Member
These are looking awesome, great improvements across the board. I already upgraded last year to the alienware qd-oled and the asus 360hz 1440p. This setup is so godly that it's honestly not worth the hassle to get 2024 set, though oled screens be tempting. They'll be even better in 2025/2026 when the next generation of gpu is available.

I find it's best to stack a monitor upgrade with a GPU upgrade (within a year or two of release) to get the maximum effect.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Small monitors
Angry Alyson Hannigan GIF

32-48, 4k, GLOSSY. Thats the way to oled.
No point going anything less than 4k with all the rescallers and shit. Besides, I had 4k monitor back in like 2019 and other resolutions looked good on it despite fears they might not.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I use my monitor for work as well as games and as such have no interest in an OLED. My 3418DW is still kicking but was thinking about upgrades but these are taking a different path than what I want.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I use my monitor for work as well as games and as such have no interest in an OLED. My 3418DW is still kicking but was thinking about upgrades but these are taking a different path than what I want.
your work shouldn't have any major effect on oled.
You use/should use desktop with SDR and about 100-150nits anywya. The pixels burn out is very slow at this rate.
I have 8k hours on my oled with mix of pc usage and ps5 usage. Most pc usage in sdr and ps5 in hdr. Not a sign of burn out.
Remember - it's not about keeping 1 image displayed for long. It's not that. The burn-in is in fact a burn out. Each pixels have a life span. That's it. It's shorter, the more power goes through it.
That + White pixels have the most light span and black pixels are just disabled.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
your work shouldn't have any major effect on oled.
You use/should use desktop with SDR and about 100-150nits anywya. The pixels burn out is very slow at this rate.
I have 8k hours on my oled with mix of pc usage and ps5 usage. Most pc usage in sdr and ps5 in hdr. Not a sign of burn out.
Remember - it's not about keeping 1 image displayed for long. It's not that. The burn-in is in fact a burn out. Each pixels have a life span. That's it. It's shorter, the more power goes through it.
That + White pixels have the most light span and black pixels are just disabled.
Thanks for the insights. I appreciate it. This is the same convo that always comes up with OLEDs whenever someone mentions burn-in. One person says they're worried about it. The other person says don't be worried about it, it's fine. The next person says be worried about it, I got bad burn-in on my OLED.

For the record I have an old LG B7 with absolutely no burn-in, but I was surfing through this site the other day and someone mentioned they got horrible burn-in on that same TV. I've seen people complain about it on the Alienware 3423DW, which was the first major OLED gaming monitor, and others saying they never had any problem. It runs the gamut.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thanks for the insights. I appreciate it. This is the same convo that always comes up with OLEDs whenever someone mentions burn-in. One person says they're worried about it. The other person says don't be worried about it, it's fine. The next person says be worried about it, I got bad burn-in on my OLED.

For the record I have an old LG B7 with absolutely no burn-in, but I was surfing through this site the other day and someone mentioned they got horrible burn-in on that same TV. I've seen people complain about it on the Alienware 3423DW, which was the first major OLED gaming monitor, and others saying they never had any problem. It runs the gamut.
Lg is best in class with burning because their algorithms to do short and long pixel refreshes work unlike other companies.

if you can survive obnoxiousness of that lady, this vid is great explanation

Maybe some people turn off the power strip or something and don't let tv "refresh" after turning it off. Or they just run it at hdr100 all the time. always.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Fuck I want one of these so bad. But I just bought a 32" Odyssey Neo G7 like a year ago.

STRENGTH. DISCIPLINE. HOOOOOLD. HOOOOOOOOLD.

Calverz

I’m very happy with my lg42c2 but if this new pulsar tech or whatever is a gamechanger, I might get one.

Man I really want one of these 4K/240 monitors, but having just bought a PSVR2 (I got it for $330 on eBay), Logitech G29, and having bought a Meta Quest 2 off my buddy for $150 I gotta watch what I buy with me still trying to go to Japan in April.

The other problem is I would need a new GPU and I don't feel like spending another $2000 on a 4070ti Super and a display.

I would love that $900 Alienware 27" but I wouldn't mind going to a 32" 4K for my desk since I will be playing with the wheel.

hinch7

Hmm, looks like W-OLED's are still a bit crap for text/fringing, even when compared to 2nd gen QD-OLED's. Guess that narrows down my monitor choice a bit.

Quantum253

This video just make me decide to return the new Alienware monitor when it arrives
You talking about the 32 Gigabtye F032U2P? That looks like nice and the ability to "resolution switch" from 1080p to 4k is nice for gaming/working from home.
The only reservation is being world first display port 2.1 in a gaming monitor and how new technology is at a premium for costs and bugs. If it's close to 1,200 I might jump on that, but I'm liking the Alienware QD too.

Top Bottom