• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monitors Unboxed - 30 New OLED Monitors in 2024: 4K 240Hz, 1440p 360Hz, 1440p 480Hz, Ultrawide 240Hz & More

StereoVsn

39" 3440x1440 is a travesty. There's no reason for that size display to be running that resolution.
Yep, that should be using that higher 21 X 9 1600P res that L.G. had in their IPS panel couple years back.

I guess there is no OLED for this resolution yet. Some of the 32” 16x9 monitors look pretty great though.

nikos

Yep, that should be using that higher 21 X 9 1600P res that L.G. had in their IPS panel couple years back.

I guess there is no OLED for this resolution yet. Some of the 32” 16x9 monitors look pretty great though.

That's exactly what it should be using. I have the 38" AW3821DW, which is 3840x1600, as my main monitor and I think it's a really good size. There are some panels coming either at the end of this year, or next year that look really promising.

Last edited:

zeomax

OLED worry question: I've been playing an astronomical amount of Elden Ring on my current IPS Ultrawide, and it has the black bars to the sides. Doesn't bother me, but would that burn in on an OLED if you played it like 4-6 hours a day for a few weeks?
You can remove the black bars with a mod.

Rickyiez

Would be great to replace my 25" Dell 240hz IPS but not at this current price yet . These new monitors OLEDs are more expensive than what I paid for the LG C1 previously FFS

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Give it time, all these people playing content that isn't using the entire display will be crying about the short lifespan of their displays. Whether it's 4:3 on 16:9 or 16:9 on 21:9, it's just not going to go well.

I'm baffled that so many people are willing to trade product lifespan for better blacks.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

A few of the Q&As from the thread

MSI HQ Technical Marketing
The first shipment will arrive in North America and Europe and it needs to take some time to deliver to the retailers including MSI online store. Therefore, we estimate it will be available in mid-February.
  1. For the warranty, please contact the MSI where you are, because the policy may differ from the region.
  2. We have not heard about similar issues from our team yet. We'll keep watching and offer the best experience for the customers.

They will be available on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, MicroCenter, and MSI US online store.

That’s awesome. To confirm, the $100 steam gift card for writing a review will also be available if you buy from another retailer like Best Buy, correct?

level 6
CND_CEM
OP·7 hr. ago
Yes, buy from these retailers share your feedback, and follow the steps to get the rewards.
https://us.msi.com/Promotion/best-QD-OLED-monitors

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This monitor seems to have everything I wanted and the built-in USB C 90W might seal the deal since I needed to add a docking (productivity/WFH) since I only use an LT. I think it's weird monitors are now coming with built-in KVMs, but that is pretty nice when switching between workstations.
This one is likely ending up on my desk as well.

Quantum253

This one is likely ending up on my desk as well.
There are so many good options coming out. I'm going to have to find a place to see everything in person. Fry's was a great place to do that, so it might come down to buying, trying, and either returning or selling on the open market. However, so far, I've liked all the Asus products I've owned and this hits all the notes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There are so many good options coming out. I'm going to have to find a place to see everything in person. Fry's was a great place to do that, so it might come down to buying, trying, and either returning or selling on the open market. However, so far, I've liked all the Asus products I've owned and this hits all the notes.
Best Buy is a great option as well if you have one fairly close.

I am a totaltech member so I have 60 days to try things out (which I kind of abuse) ;)

Quantum253

Best Buy is a great option as well if you have one fairly close.

I am a totaltech member so I have 60 days to try things out (which I kind of abuse) ;)
I do have several close by. I had Best Buy's gaming membership where you could get pretty good discounts for pre-order bonuses (10-15 bucks off new games). I don't buy enough for Total Tech, but an extended 60-day return would be nice on higher-end, or on something you aren't sure about.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I do have several close by. I had Best Buy's gaming membership where you could get pretty good discounts for pre-order bonuses (10-15 bucks off new games). I don't buy enough for Total Tech, but an extended 60-day return would be nice on higher-end, or on something you aren't sure about.
Plus that membership buys you 2 years of warranty on anything you buy

They are great about anytime during that 2 year period if something goes wrong even if you dont want the same product they will give you a gift card to apply towards something else, I have done that a couple of times

Quantum253

Plus that membership buys you 2 years of warranty on anything you buy

They are great about anytime during that 2 year period if something goes wrong even if you dont want the same product they will give you a gift card to apply towards something else, I have done that a couple of times
Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind since I usually hold off from buying new tech for fear it won't work the way I want or breaks and you eat the cost.

nemiroff

Gold Member
So.. Should I preorder the Alienware AW3225QF and get it March 4 (that's when it arrives here in Norway), or wait for one of the other potentially better ones..? If I don't pre-order it might get sold out.. So I'm slightly lost in choices..

Last edited:

amigastar

Thanks but i'm rocking an Eizo IPS 1080p monitor with an RTX 4070. That allows me to set all RT details to ultra. Maybe when i upgrade to a 6070 in the future i will get a 4K monitor.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Thanks but i'm rocking an Eizo IPS 1080p monitor with an RTX 4070. That allows me to set all RT details to ultra. Maybe when i upgrade to a 6070 in the future i will get a 4K monitor.

1080p???

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Anyway, with one of these OLED monitors coupled with DLSS Performance, I'm pretty sure it'll yield both much better image quality and damn good performance with a 4070.

Even if you render 1080p natively and let one of these monitors do the upscaling (and 1080 to 2160 scales perfectly) internally will yield better details, better image quality and you'll still keep the performance..

And not all games are CP @ PT anyway..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So.. Should I preorder the Alienware AW3225QF and get it March 4 (that's when it arrives here in Norway), or wait for one of the other potentially better ones..? If I don't pre-order it might get sold out.. So I'm slightly lost in choices..
That AW has some issues though the newest firmware is supposed to address some of them

What all are you wanting to hook up to it?

nemiroff

Gold Member
That AW has some issues though the newest firmware is supposed to address some of them

What all are you wanting to hook up to it?
DP from my 4090, that's all.

Here are some issues that was adressed in yesterdays firmware update, were some of these among the issues you experienced?

1. Fix firmware bug related to Creator Mode Gamma adjustment during monitor displaying HDR content.
2. Improve Creator Mode sRGB EOTF curve tracking on dark level.
3. Update OSD Thermal warning message.
4. Fix G-Sync/VRR image tearing issue.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
DP from my 4090, that's all.
You are golden sound wise, there was an issue with Dolby Vision and this monitor as the it kept getting stuck in Dolby Vision and you couldnt change it but supposedly latest firmware might fix that.

Just get it from a place you can easily return it. I bought mine through Dell and they have had it for 13 business days now and no return on my money yet though they say it could take up to 15 days

nemiroff

Gold Member
You are golden sound wise, there was an issue with Dolby Vision and this monitor as the it kept getting stuck in Dolby Vision and you couldnt change it but supposedly latest firmware might fix that.

Just get it from a place you can easily return it. I bought mine through Dell and they have had it for 13 business days now and no return on my money yet though they say it could take up to 15 days
Ah, you returned it.

Well, now it suddenly struck me that in addition to a flat display, I also want the KVM features on the ASUS ROG as I sometimes have to work from home.. So I guess I'll wait a little bit more :D

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yea the ROG's are damn nice. Now Im torn watching the ROG and LG videos. I have and Love my LG tv's but I also love ASUS ROG products. Probably going to come down to price and which I can actually get first!
Yeah, I ordered the Asus ROG yesterday.. First it said delivery this week, but now it suddenly says "unconfirmed delivery" on the 6th..

Funny thing, one of the things I'm excited about for this monitor is the "uniform brightness" capability. Which basically means no annoying brightness changes when f.ex. simply resizing a window. It's been a pet peeve of mine for years..

This will also be my first flat panel since ~five years ago. I wonder if I'll notice a positive or negative difference, if at all.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Got the Asus ROG today, and once I fired it up ... It's a pretty good monitor 😄

Even W11 likes it, HDR feels more seamless and functional than with my old Samsung quantum dot.

Anyway, been using curved for years, now the flat ROG actually seems like it's bulging towards me, so weird..

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I've bought the AW3225QF, it got the lowest price in Europe and readily available. It was delivered at home yesterday (about 2 weeks of waiting time), standard screen protection (light foam) with some traces barely visible on the screen but some careful attention with the smooth cloth piece included removed it all. After that the screen is spotless and beautiful.
There's another firmware update #104, it seem most problems are solved now. 240hz QD OLED is awesome looking of course, coming from a 32" 144hz VA 1440p even with the same screen size the quality upgrade is stunning.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've bought the AW3225QF, it got the lowest price in Europe and readily available. It was delivered at home yesterday (about 2 weeks of waiting time), standard screen protection (light foam) with some traces barely visible on the screen but some careful attention with the smooth cloth piece included removed it all. After that the screen is spotless and beautiful.
There's another firmware update #104, it seem most problems are solved now. 240hz QD OLED is awesome looking of course, coming from a 32" 144hz VA 1440p even with the same screen size the quality upgrade is stunning.
Grats that is a huge upgrade

I really like how the AW looked and probably should have waited for FW updates as mine got stuck in Dolby Vision mode plus the main killer for me was having a PC, PS5 and Series X hooked up I needed an audio extractor to get sound to my speakers which I hated having another device on my desk.

Currently playing around with the MSI MPG 321 URX and really like it but wish it had DisplayPort 2.1

Gaelyon

Gold Member
The AW is the only one curved, so that's a plus for me (but could be seen as a flaw as well). All these 32" QD OLED share the same tech anyway, the main feature which is screen quality should be near identical. Price, design and side features are the dividers.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The AW is the only one curved, so that's a plus for me (but could be seen as a flaw as well). All these 32" QD OLED share the same tech anyway, the main feature which is screen quality should be near identical. Price, design and side features are the dividers.
I actually like the curve as well

Once I got used to it when I am on a flat screen the corners feel miles away

Top Bottom