• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So i opened a few armor sets to forge, is there a way to know what is better to waste resources on?

HR sets are the better ones. I would only forge what you need until then. If it bumps you up 10 or has a buff on an element you're struggling against are good use cases. Of course your mileage will vary.

I've only go 2 sets so far outside of the starter one at the moment.

Weapons I go all-in on and swap depending on the monster's weaknesses.

Darkone

HR sets are the better ones. I would only forge what you need until then. If it bumps you up 10 or has a buff on an element you're struggling against are good use cases. Of course your mileage will vary.

I've only go 2 sets so far outside of the starter one at the moment.

Weapons I go all-in on and swap depending on the monster's weaknesses.
Is there a way to know what armor is from HR?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is there a way to know what armor is from HR?
Yes, it will be the stuff that unlocks once you get to the high rank quests through multiplayer / hub. I'm not certain if you can unlock all of them through single player. I have one or two unlocked but not enough materials.

Here's a list:

Last edited:
Yes you can get loot from Cohoot, you can check their nest after 3 quests to get some loot for you to sell. I thinki the tutorial tell you to check your surrounding for an arrow marking Cohoot nest. I'm not really sure.

This video tells the exact location, and also other things that quite useful:

Yeah the tutorial just tells you that you can find interaction points for the Owl, but they don't do anything noteworthy. Also, that nest is not even in the area where the Cohoot tutorial pops up lol. Hidden for no reason lmao. But thank you for the heads up :)

Last edited:

Darkone

Yes, it will be the stuff that unlocks once you get to the high rank quests through multiplayer / hub. I'm not certain if you can unlock all of them through single player. I have one or two unlocked but not enough materials.

Here's a list:
Cool thanks

Anyone else finding it really difficult to pull off weapon-related wirebug moves during combat?

Also, what weapons are people using? I'm switching off between SnS and HH

Anyone else finding it really difficult to pull off weapon-related wirebug moves during combat?

Also, what weapons are people using? I'm switching off between SnS and HH
It's probably because the input buffer is quite strict for a 30fps game. I feel that the best practise is to always press and hold ZL before X or A; pressing them simultaneously will frequently give you an X or A instead.

Edit: Added "and hold".

Last edited:
It's probably because the input buffer is quite strict for a 30fps game. I feel that the best practise is to always press and hold ZL before X or A; pressing them simultaneously will frequently give you an X or A instead.
Probably. It tends to happen more often to me when using the hunting horn than the SnS (or similar "fast" weapons).

More often than not, I end up executing a wirebug move instead of the wirebug weapon special.

What do you mean by the bolded?
Sorry, should have been more specific.

Often in combat when I try to execute one of the wirebug special weapon attacks, I end up executing one of the wirebug movement abilities (propelling my dude forward or upward without attacking), despite the fact that I have my weapon drawn. It's either a input buffer issue or a range issue.

Often in combat when I try to execute one of the wirebug special weapon attacks, I end up executing one of the wirebug movement abilities (propelling my dude forward or upward without attacking), despite the fact that I have my weapon drawn. It's either a input buffer issue or a range issue.
Not your fault, think of my question as a double take cause the bolded is exactly what I was thinking. So yes, it's incredibly odd.

I doubt it's a range issue. Could you try capturing a video clip when it happens?

Cob32

What weapon are you using?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Great Izuchi armor set is really great for low rank despite being the first big monster to fight lol.

Izuchi only good helm

CRIT chance at low levels has small impact, better to stack attack.

I’m using a mixed set with 2 attack and 2 crit chance.

SCB3

Wow, I didn't expect a lot of skills and such to transfer from MHW to this, I like the more compact Hub and the first few LR monsters are really easy to solo without any upgrades, using a Switch Axe this time, used a Great Sword, Hammer and Bow mostly on World

Last edited:

Darkone

Happens to me as well until i used the dual blades and suudenly i got the wired attack with great damage.
With the dual blades it some times did not work but i think it was becuase of range.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Am I the only one who cares more about looks than stats and skills? :lollipop_content:

I think I won't really care about those until it's mandatory. I'm having fun forging all the armors and weapons that I like.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Am I the only one who cares more about looks than stats and skills? :lollipop_content:

I think I won't really care about those until it's mandatory. I'm having fun forging all the armors and weapons that I like.
I'm exactly the same way. I'm still wearing the starting armor for my female character because it looks really good. So far a lot of the armors I've seen look really good.

IKSTUGA

This game is fucking amazing! I had so many issues with World and they've pretty much fixed them all in Rise (tedious tracking, overly complicated maps, constant stunlock, always online etc). Also, I absolutely love the additions of wirebug and palamute. Traversal is ridiculously fun now.

Capgod is on an amazing streak...

Last edited:

GinSama

Been playing a little more.... the new traversal system is amazing.... been having some issues to adapt myself, but is really awesome. Completely new way to play monster Hunter.

I just need to train more, since is didn’t spend that much time in the demo.

Hinedorf

Banned

OK....I can help here after spending a solid day mastering my LS cranium strike which I can only execute after a wirebug foward jump into the monster.....this is going to be for Longsword but let me tell you, it executes on point every time unless the monster does some cheap move, the execution does not fail....so let me explain.... because it's counterintuitive to what you think

For LS you need a massive buildup to the red before using the airborne strike becomes fully powerful so it's a process... but how I can execute it at least how I've found it's massively different between having weapon sheathed or unsheathed

When I'm ready to execute, I get a good angle on the monster typically head-facing I launch one attack with X to get my weapon out and hitting, I MOVE IN VERY CLOSE.... I hold ZL I AIM DOWN at monsters feet and hit X to launch the jump kick.....

That's the key..... rather than trying from an airborne approach get as CLOSE as you can and aim down launching directly into the monster, for the LS the kick hit's you see a blue light and I hit ZR to bring down the fucking slaughter

Thus far trying to be ranged and launching wirebug into the monster brings varied results based on their movement and never effective for me

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SinDelta

Up to three star quests, currently doing every 2 star quest.

The weapons are amazing looking.

Got a fire longsword and fire and ice great swords.

QoL improvements are insane. Finally a monster hunter I am really getting into.

The companions are awesome in helping take on quests, especially the hub ones. Or should I say pawsome?

Last edited:

Shouta

Started last night and did a few quests today after messing around with the weapons and seeing what's changed with each. I love the new aesthetics and the slightly smaller town and hubs are kinda nice. Weapon and armor designs even for low rank are great too. I like the Palamute addition and the adjusted/new Palico skills. Monster Riding is great in battle especially when using them to your advantage.

There's some things that are oddly a step down compared to World though. Storage and inventory is laid out worse, While I like the map and how you can traverse it, the placement of gathering points feels a bit rough. Animations and FPS being cut down to accommodate the switch is understandable but it is a little jarring until you get used to it. I also don't really like how they changed how the hits land and feel.

Still having a blast though and I'm using Hunting Horn which feels really good, especially the 2 Silkbug skill that does a lot of damage, lol. I didn't use it much in World but it's nice in this so far.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just beat Magnamalo and got the credits.

That fight was fun. I surprisingly never fainted despite only having total Defense of about 50. Also finished all 1 to 3 Star Village quest with a few left of the 4 stars.

Best fight so far is the Bishaten, which is hilarious.

Pejo

Gold Member
Just beat Magnamalo and got the credits.

That fight was fun. I surprisingly never fainted despite only having total Defense of about 50. Also finished all 1 to 3 Star Village quest with a few left of the 4 stars.

Best fight so far is the Bishaten, which is hilarious.
Yea, Bishaten was a great concept, executed really well. It's a very dynamic fight. You can knock him off the walls, you can knock him out of his tail stance. He's got projectiles, he's got poison, and the hit boxes are really tight for him. It's insane how much more fun of a fight that is than walking hitbox monsters like the -soth family and Arzuros/Lagombi etc. I also really enjoyed Somnacanth, who was pretty dynamic too. I particularly love how you can break her face and throat and she can't do the sleep gas beam, but still tries. It gives you a really rewarding feeling for breaking those pieces and getting to put some major damage on her during the animation. I was severely hesitant and critical of this game based on the few preivews I actually watched, but this feels like a really awesome compromise between World and the handheld games. I'm personally a huge fan now that I put some hours in.

I'm also really enjoying the camera feature. Letting me take my own pics of the monsters for the hunter's notes is actually pretty fun. Wish I had the ghillie mantle so I wouldn't get attacked so fast trying to line up a good shot though. This is going to be so much better on the PC version just due to better lighting/resolution/hopefully higher res textures.

Personally, I like the Palamutes 10x better than Palicoes, and I don't even need the cats back after this. I haven't played multi yet because I hate the idea of paying for Nintendo Online, but how do they handle Palamutes in multiplayer? Does every hunter get to bring their dogs for travel, or do they just make you run? If you bring them, do they attack with you, or just disappear/become inactive during combat like the local mountable monsters from World?

nordique

Does anyone know if local multiplayer can be done with one game card, or does each person need a copy of the game?

for local coop

Manus

Why is the UI in this such a complete downgrade from World? Having the full map on screen vs what was in World takes up so much more space.

sandbood

Banned
From gamefaqs:

Low Rank Village Rathian
MH4U = 2,340 HP, 1.3× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 90)
MHGU = 2,070-2,340 HP, 0.94× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 90)
MHW = 3,540 HP, 1.55× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 70)
MHRise = 2,880 HP, 1.44× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 70)

Low Rank Hub Rathian
MH4U = no data (likely similar to MHGU stats)
MHGU = 2745-3285 HP, 1.1× Attack, 0.95× Defense
MHW = 3,540 HP, 1.55× Attack, 1.0× Defense
MHRise = 6,930 HP, 1.41× Attack, 1.0× Defense

High Rank Village Rathian
MH4U = 3,150 HP, no data on attack or defense
MHGU = 4,230-4,500 HP, 2.25× Attack, 0.95× Defense
MHW = 5,700 HP, 3.2× Attack, 1.0× Defense
MHRise = HR Village not present yet

High Rank Hub Rathian
MH4U = no data available but it was very similar to MHGU
MHGU = 4,770-5,310 HP, 2.30× Attack, 0.85× Defense (= 6,247 HP at 1.0 Defense for comparison)
MHW = 5,700 HP, 3.2× Attack, 1.0× Defense
MHRise = 12,150 HP, 3.5× Attack, 1.0× Defense

No wonder it took me so much time to take down big monsters in multiplayer Quest with 4 players.

NanaMiku

Seems like things must die incredibly fast in multi with 8 characters hammering on the monster, 4 of which are effectively immortal.
I tried online with 1 friend last night (still LR armor). Tried hunting Aknosom and it took quite a while to defeat him.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Either you guys play this game very fast or I'm way too slow, I just reached HR2 and you guys already fighting Magnamalo.
He's not very far into the Village quests really. I haven't failed a quest yet and I'm not forging all armors so that saves time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He's not very far into the Village quests really. I haven't failed a quest yet and I'm not forging all armors so that saves time.
I’m doing combination of both Village quests and hub quests and I just reached HR2, so l can do level 2 hub quests.

Top Bottom