• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Finished up the Village quests apparently, which gave me a set of Special quests that allow me to rank up in the Hub quickly. Pretty nice way they've set it up, really.

I think I'm one or two Special quests away from High Rank. Almost there!

e&e

Banned
My first real Monster Hunter, started with Long Sword. Played some demo before but still slowly getting used to everything. Definitely have to time stuff. I spent quite a bit of time to kill these water creatures in tutorial level. Could never line up hits properly lol.

Last edited:

Pejo

Why the fuck is Tobi the hardest monster in low rank? As a Swtch Axe main I hated him in world and continue to hate him in Rise. Slippery little shit always wiggles just out of my reach. Also, any other SA mains - do you guys love the changes to Elemental Discharge or what? I have only been knocked off maybe 4 times in all of the hunts I've done so far. Such a huge improvement for the weapon overall. Elemental charged axe mode is also awesome for downed/immobile enemies. We didn't get a ton of changes but I'm extremely happy with the weapon right now overall.

So I just finished all of the village quests up to Magnamalo, decided to take a breather for a beer and some time to decompress. I still haven't failed a hunt yet, and only carted once on an unlucky stun combo from Volvidon. I'm finally getting used to using wirebug moves in combat. It's not something that came naturally, but it's really handy once you get used to it. I really miss the slinger for stuff like shooting flash bombs at the Raths, even though functionally it's still the same to toss them. It was nice to have the slinger already loaded and ready to go and still be able to use other items.

I really underestimated the verticality of the stages. There's all sorts of stuff to explore and check out. I like that they make it optional though, since you only engage monsters in designated fighting areas instead of on the side of a cliff or something stupid like that. There are many places on each map that I have no idea how to get to yet. Usually the answer seems to be great wirebugs, but it's still a hunt to find out where you're supposed to place and use them from.

From gamefaqs:

Low Rank Village Rathian
MH4U = 2,340 HP, 1.3× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 90)
MHGU = 2,070-2,340 HP, 0.94× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 90)
MHW = 3,540 HP, 1.55× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 70)
MHRise = 2,880 HP, 1.44× Attack, 1.0× Defense (head hitzone = 70)

Low Rank Hub Rathian
MH4U = no data (likely similar to MHGU stats)
MHGU = 2745-3285 HP, 1.1× Attack, 0.95× Defense
MHW = 3,540 HP, 1.55× Attack, 1.0× Defense
MHRise = 6,930 HP, 1.41× Attack, 1.0× Defense

High Rank Village Rathian
MH4U = 3,150 HP, no data on attack or defense
MHGU = 4,230-4,500 HP, 2.25× Attack, 0.95× Defense
MHW = 5,700 HP, 3.2× Attack, 1.0× Defense
MHRise = HR Village not present yet

High Rank Hub Rathian
MH4U = no data available but it was very similar to MHGU
MHGU = 4,770-5,310 HP, 2.30× Attack, 0.85× Defense (= 6,247 HP at 1.0 Defense for comparison)
MHW = 5,700 HP, 3.2× Attack, 1.0× Defense
MHRise = 12,150 HP, 3.5× Attack, 1.0× Defense

No wonder it took me so much time to take down big monsters in multiplayer Quest with 4 players.
This is really helpful, thanks. This is what I was asking earlier. I've only done a handful of hub quests so far, but they felt much more difficult at the same rank than village. If I'm reading this correctly and it's all for 1-player hub vs. village, monsters having over double hp is a little excessive, but that's ok. Most of the village quests so far I've been finishing in 5-8 minutes, so it's nice to have a little more fight in the monsters. I hope the part break and flinch thresholds aren't inflated too much though, that's when I start to get disenfranchised. A solid strong move to the face should flinch. It just feels good as the player and makes you feel like you're fighting a creature instead of a walking block of HP. World was particularly bad with this when scaling monsters for multiplayer. It was almost impossible to flinch monsters unless multiple people were targeting the same part, and you had to dedicate like half of a quest with 1-2 people trying to sever tails.

Man, what a great game. Can't wait to see the new endgame monsters. Magnamalo doesn't really impress me, I still think he looks really stupid and seems to have a modified Zinogre moveset (of course with some new stuff thrown in).

I just hope that the rumors are true and Gore Magala comes back.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I know this has been answered, but do guild quests scale to solo players? I was whaling on a low rank monster and took 25 minutes. Felt long. The village quests are quite breezy.

Raven117

Gold Member
Also, we know what weapons are S tier? I’m rocking long sword, but would like something else as well. Something more complicated

Pejo

I know this has been answered, but do guild quests scale to solo players? I was whaling on a low rank monster and took 25 minutes. Felt long. The village quests are quite breezy.
Yep, look at sandbood sandbood 's post that I quoted above. It's got almost double the health. Still not sure what the part damage and stagger thresholds are.

Also, we know what weapons are S tier? I’m rocking long sword, but would like something else as well. Something more complicated
All weapons are S tier. Just try them out in an easy mission and see which one suits you. You will definitely eventually find at least one that "clicks".

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Yep, look at sandbood sandbood 's post that I quoted above. It's got almost double the health. Still not sure what the part damage and stagger thresholds are.

All weapons are S tier. Just try them out in an easy mission and see which one suits you. You will definitely eventually find at least one that "clicks".
Thanks!
Been using LS since 4U time for a change

I broke down and bought this game. I actually really like it so far ~5 hours. I like it much more than Gen Ulti and World. The environments are great.
Same, metacritic was what pushed me over the edge. So far it is a 9.1 user score and seems universally praised and comments that things are streamlined and travelling is so much better now from this board made my decision for me.

Hinedorf

Banned
Which game would be a better start for me as a newbie that could never get into MH games, MHW or MHR?

Both are the best MH games due to quality of life changes but if you started with Rise and went to World you may not be able to handle how slow it is. Rise adds the element of speeding up travel which has been a real chore in most MH games. Rise gives you a variety of ways to get around quickly and creatively that makes me feel like I can never go backwards.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
At least in low rank, village quests feel like having training wheels on. Everything just dies in 4-5 minutes, monsters don't even get a chance to flee. Hub quests solo is where it's at.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Charge Blade seems to be the one that people go to in order to try something mechanically more difficult. That or SnS. Everyone always sleeps on SnS, but it's probably the most versatile weapon in the whole game.

SnS can not only use consumables without sheathing but wire bug jumps as well.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont really like how they nerf wyrmstake on gunlance, it is very hard to stick on the monsters

I prefer the one in MH world.

Last edited:
Just made it to HR. Managed to solo the rampage which unlocks it. Rampage seems like it might be more fun in multiplayer.
Yes, I came to that conclusion as well with that quest lmao.
That goddamn Apex was a nightmare solo :messenger_tears_of_joy: I managed to kill it with just 5 seconds left on the clock

ExkDa0LU8AA34Dm

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I didn't get any from killing that guy, How do I get it?
Didn't get which from him? You need to carve the monster once slain if you're not aware. They can also drop material as you damage them. Those appears as shiny rock-like things that are hard to miss. I can't remember but some weapons or armor might require items that only come from these drops or by carving a severed tail.

The monster index thing tells you the drop rates for each. I've been using that to target the items I need. And also to make sure I have a the right elemental damage weapon selected.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Going to start on some hub quests today. I'll be playing on and off all day. I've got a ton of shit to get done since I was out of town yesterday. If timing works, I'll post my FC if people are around.

SinDelta

This game is a masterpiece.

I could never get into monster hunter, even World due to QoL, or other issues people have already discussed with other entries.

Rise has fixed every single issue I have had with the series. Heck I think it's traversal is the next step after BotWs in some ways and should be a new standard for games it's that's incredible.

Rise is pretty much World but distilled with the best parts (UI and menus aside? They haven't been a big issue yet for me at least.)

Now I'm diving in.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
I'm a MH nub and after 30 minutes into this game I absolutely hate it. The music ... My god that fkn song , the menus are out of the ps1 generation, the controls are terrible/button layout, half the time I'm stabbing a wall or tree and the monster that's 10 feet away is taking damage, the voice acting is capcom arcade quality. I actually wanted to try andget nintendo to refund it

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm a MH nub and after 30 minutes into this game I absolutely hate it. The music ... My god that fkn song , the menus are out of the ps1 generation, the controls are terrible/button layout, half the time I'm stabbing a wall or tree and the monster that's 10 feet away is taking damage, the voice acting is capcom arcade quality. I actually wanted to try andget nintendo to refund it
W-wrong thread? :messenger_hushed:

SinDelta

Just my opinion but I'm loving the village music. The songs for dango also make me want dango.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Really? And you didn't play the demo first before buying?

Lots of prejudiced sentiments could come out just from that narrative, or you're just bullshitting about the whole thing.

If you're looking for some input on how to appreciate and enjoy the game, we can try and help.

If you just want to rant without learning how the game functions then hopefully you get your refund and move on.

If you're actually trolling for reactions and replies then I'll ignore you, and hopefully others will know to do so too; we don't need a massive derail each time some post like yours shows up. Cheers.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gotta say I love the added attacks and skills to the weapons! So far I've unlocked the charged shot for the Gunlance that propels you forward, and the pizza cutter for the Charge Blade.

I thought all the unlockables were going to be silk skills, but it's cool to know that's not the case.

Awesome additions that serve to make the already cool weapon roster even more varied.

Gotta say I love the added attacks and skills to the weapons! So far I've unlocked the charged shot for the Gunlance that propels you forward, and the pizza cutter for the Charge Blade.

I thought all the unlockables were going to be silk skills, but it's cool to know that's not the case.

Awesome additions that serve to make the already cool weapon roster even more varied.
Haha, is that you referencing one of the previous CB designs?
Edit: Apparently inline spoiler doesn't hide the link preview.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Never played a MH game before. I pre-ordered this when it was announced because it came out on my bday. Was even delivered by Best Buy on release day. I should have had it wrapped.

Anyway, I haven’t put enough time in yet for any kind of detailed impressions. I do feel that pull tho. This is a hard game to walk away from, and I can see sinking some quality time into it.

I do love that while I’m leveling some things like gear, the gameplay itself is skill-based. I’m starting with the sword and board, but am looking forward to learning different weapons at some point.

Brazen

Got about 20 hours in the game now. Thoroughly enjoying it more than World I will say. Rise is more crisp than World in the environment and the UI, and while World is more flushed out in detail, y'know obviously graphically better, it always had this haziness about it. The level design is more open and "clean" in Rise which imo is better for the MH gameplay and while I enjoyed all the nooks and crannies of World for exploration, Rise's shift to vertical doesn't detract on satisfying with exploration. Speaking of exploration Palamutes and Wirebug are two fantastic additions to the series and it would be a step back if future titles don't keep those mechanics.

About mid-way into the 3* stuff and monster variety is already an improvement when you don't feel your facing the same skeletons a third/half the time. I also feel the village and hub differences is well implemented. I've been doing all the initial monster encounters in hub for the "challenge" and savoring the epic fights then switching over to village for material farming, if it's needed. I do both at least once and that's all that's needed most of the time due to the more generous material drops.

Will say I miss the hunter's slinger and the Hunting Helpers are an iffy replacement. I like the variety but it also makes the fights a bit too cheesy for my taste so I've not been using them, perhaps that will change in the late game. I'll end my impressions with a positive note to World, World's canteen is better than Rise's (and cuter). :messenger_tongue:

How are you liking Gunlance? I've always thought about picking it up, especially for multiplayer

I started maining the gunlance myself in this one and it's quickly becoming my favorite weapon. <3 to the bow and longsword. I love how it's a very strategically committed weapon and the wirebug abilities really compliments the gunlance's weaknesses. First weapon I've used with blocking and it's honeymoon phase has been a thrill thus far.

Buggy Loop

Ouf, the demo is rough for me. I recall being pretty good at MH3 on wii with the hammer, couldn’t feel it at all in this game. Nostalgia? I lost the touch with the game mechanics? Demo is not a good intro I guess? I’m kind of doubting just paying full price to know if it’ll click with me.

Ouf, the demo is rough for me. I recall being pretty good at MH3 on wii with the hammer, couldn’t feel it at all in this game. Nostalgia? I lost the touch with the game mechanics? Demo is not a good intro I guess? I’m kind of doubting just paying full price to know if it’ll click with me.

It's not a great intro, you are pretty underpowered in the demo. If you're a fan of previous MH games I don't see how you won't like this one. If you still want to try, maybe buy a physical copy from Walmart so it's $10 cheaper and you could resell it if for some reason you don't like it?

TintoConCasera

How are you liking Gunlance? I've always thought about picking it up, especially for multiplayer
I mained Charge Blade in both World and GU, and I think I'?m liking the Gunlance even more. Has many combos, one of them does crazy damage when you unleash all the ammo at once and it's very fun to use.

Only downsides so far is that it makes you very slow and that you need to sharpen it quite often, but one of the silk skilss help with that so it's not that bad if you use that well.

Top Bottom