• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster hunter Wilds New trailer | State of Play

Draugoth

Gold Member

names-for-the-new-monsters-from-the-wilds-website-v0-erazg2z46n3d1.jpg

All known monsters in Monster Hunter Wilds​

Historically, the series has three different types of monsters: small, large, and Elder Dragons. Typically, Elder Dragons are late-game bosses that are kept as a surprise until the game’s release, though the likes of Nergigante and Velkhana from Monster Hunter World and its Iceborne expansion were flagship monsters.

Monster Hunter Wilds release date: The Doshaguma is a mix between a lion and a bear. It has no eyes, but can come in a larger form with a red mane or a smaller form with a yellow mane.

New large monsters​

Two new large monsters have been revealed, with the first chasing the hunter during the first trailer. This was later revealed to be the Doshaguma, which are highly territorial beasts with a huge habitat. It’s unclear how the dimorphism works here, but the larger ones have fuller, red manes similar to lions. They hang around in packs, with several smaller Doshaguma accompanying the later red-maned version.

Monster Hunter Wilds release date: the Chatacabra is a cross between a bullfrog and a gorilla, with scally skin and a sticky tongue.

The second monster we know about for sure is the Chatacabra, which is a scally bullfrog with the stance of a gorilla. In the trailer, we see it pound the ground with multiple punches, get attacked by what looks like a pack of Shamos – a returning small monster, and use its adhesive tongue to gobble up prey.

Monster Hunter Wilds release date: a Rathalos glides through the desert air.

Returning large monsters​

So far, the only returning monster we’ve seen from the first trailer is none other than series staple Rathalos, who we see swooping across the plains at the end of the trailer. Rathalos is generally considered a mid-late campaign boss and regularly uses rather chaotic fire attacks. He’s also been known to poison with his claws and swipe would-be hunters with his tail.

Monster Hunter Wilds release date: spiky Pangolin-like monsters walk through the desert with birds resting on their heads and backs.

Small monsters​

Ceratonoths are the small monsters shown in the trailer. They’re brand new and resemble Pangolins. However, they’re also a more obviously dimorphic species as some have massive spikes erupting through their backs, while others keep a more streamlined appearance. This is similar to Kestodons from previous games, where the males are noticeably larger than the females.

Another herbivore described on the PlayStation Blog post accompanying the trailer is the Dalthydon. This is a cross between a ram and a bipedal dinosaur, such as a velociraptor. When threatened, it will adopt a defensive stance, fighting back with its hard head shell. While not confirmed by the blog, we can clearly see Shamos attacking the Chatacrabra during the second trailer.

Alongside them are some very small lizard-like monsters fleeing the large beast-like enemies. Early shots also show small birds resting on top of the Pangolin-like monsters and a single flying Winddrake variant (it’s unknown if this is a brand new small monster or an existing Winddrake).

Monster Hunter Wilds release date: Gemma is a blonde woman with a pair of sand googles around her neck.

Monster Hunter Wilds characters​

In addition to the Hunter, who, according to the PlayStation Blog post, will be fully voice-acted for the first time, you also have a faithful Palico friend to accompany you on each hunt.

While Monster Hunter Rise introduced Palamutes, Wilds gives us the Seikret. These bird-like dinosaurs have an amazing sense of smell and come with satchel pouches to help hunters keep alternative weapons to hand. They also hold slings, which return from Monster Hunter World. You can now fire them while riding your Seikret.

Like every Monster Hunter game on PC in the past, there is a point of contact for starting hunts and a few other NPCs to help you out in the hub area. Alma is your handler this time around, assisting you with encyclopedic knowledge about the creatures in the area. You also have Gemma, your local blacksmith, who handles all weapon and armor requests, provided you have the parts. There is also a mysterious boy named Nata who will join you on your adventure. We don’t know much about him just yet,

Monster Hunter Wilds release date: the hunter is gearing up to swing his great sword at the male monster. A female of the same species is behind him.

Monster Hunter Wilds gameplay​

All 14 of the base weapons make their return in Monster Hunter Wilds. These are:

• Great Sword
  • Long Sword
  • Sword & Shield
  • Dual Blades
  • Hammer
  • Hunting Horn
  • Lance
  • Gunlance
  • Switch Axe
  • Charge Blade
  • Insect Glaive
  • Light Bowgun
  • Heavy Bowgun
  • Bow

In addition to the Seikret mount giving the player an additional weapon to bring into the hunt, you also get access to a Focus Mode. According to the PlayStation blog post, “Hunters will have more precise control over how they guard, aim, and attack in order to target a monster’s weak points for big damage. Focus Mode makes it easier to adjust your distance to the monster and aim your attacks, making the distinctive Monster Hunter hunting action more accessible to a wider variety of players. ”

The other detail is that the first area we’ve seen so far, the Windward Plains, is a vast, untamed savannah, that’s highly changeable due to the extreme weather conditions. Sometimes it’ll be a lush field with golden grass, but sometimes it’ll be a dusty lifeless wasteland. As sandstorms roll in, you can even see lightning erupt in the distance. All of these weather effects make their mark on the local monster population and how they interact with one another.

It will still be quite a while before we learn the Monster Hunter Wilds release date, so until then, here’s a list of the best games like Monster Hunter if you want to scratch that particular itch. Otherwise, there are also lists of the best upcoming games of 2024, as well as the best PC games of the past year.

Last edited:
Can’t wait for the overhyped janky gameplay and stupidly confusing inventory management, then the truthers to tell me it’s the best game ever made. Never fails, with every single entry. IMO, I know it doesn’t matter to who I’m referring to, the gameplay loop is phenomenal, but the lack of making things less convoluted with inventory and structure will keep this series mid at best to me. I’d love to love it, but it’s just not it 🤷‍♂️. I’m not falling for the “I’ll give it another chance” trap again. I hope you enjoy it though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can’t wait for the overhyped janky gameplay and stupidly confusing inventory management, then the truthers to tell me it’s the best game ever made. Never fails, with every single entry. IMO, I know it doesn’t matter to who I’m referring to, the gameplay loop is phenomenal, but the lack of making things less convoluted with inventory and structure will keep this series mid at best to me. I’d love to love it, but it’s just not it 🤷‍♂️. I’m not falling for the “I’ll give it another chance” trap again. I hope you enjoy it though.
The MH has its own gameplay style that part of its DNA, its not for everyone but man I personally find combat so satisfying....there is no game like it.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
I’m getting this day 1 no matter what, but…
The trailer didn’t do much for me. Some scenes are very gray/brown and washed out, the orange grass section looked better though. And the monsters they showed seemed less unique then past entires.

The MH has its own gameplay style that part of its DNA, its not for everyone but man I personally find combat so satisfying....there is no game like it.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the actual combat. That’s it though. The jankiness I can deal with too. But that inventory management is just too much for my tastes. I get why people love it, but I also get why people don’t.

Danjin44

Don’t get me wrong, I like the actual combat. That’s it though. The jankiness I can deal with too. But that inventory management is just too much for my tastes. I get why people love it, but I also get why people don’t.
This just part of the hunt, this why it feels like you are actually hunting. Also inventory management is waaaaaay more streamlined in later MH games compare to old generations.

Last edited:
This just part of the hunt, this why it feels like you are actually hunting. Also inventory management is waaaaaay more streamlined in later MH games compare to old generations.
I played Rise and World pretty well into them and the inventory management was ass. It might be much be better than it was, but it’s not close to good regardless. Again, that’s all good for folks who are into that, but not my bag. I should be able to open my inventory and use something with ease. When it gets so confusing about what button to even hit, it’s time for change.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Gold Member
Trailer kinda lacked oomph, but I liked what I saw. Packs of monsters, setting traps, choco dog cat thing coming in clutch, big titties; it’s all coming together.

I played Rise and World pretty well into them and the inventory management was ass. It might be much be better than it was, but it’s not close to good regardless. Again, that’s all good for folks who are into that, but not my bag. I should be able to open my inventory and use something with ease. When it gets so confusing about what button to even hit, it’s time for change.
Fact is that it isn’t confusing for more experienced players. Ya learn the game and it becomes second nature. Granted some people just aren’t gonna click with it regardless, but the inventory does it’s job and I’d say it does it well.

Part of the inventory management is setting it up so you know where everything is. It’s a part of prep.

Inventory management was fine in Rise. You could sort items in categories if you are looking for something.

Mostly you don’t have to deal with inventory in this game. Outside of taking out potions and few other things for hunt. I don’t have much issue with endless amounts of stuff you tend to collect.

I do have issue with decoration descriptions in the game. Almost impossible to make out what a decoration does, making it hard to make builds without using guides.

Danjin44

I'm curious if we can play the game with Wyverian language, because in all honestly I'm not fan of the english voices.

Fbh

Not that exciting aside from having chocobos.

But still, as someone who only recently got inot MH playing through MHW with some friends, I am really looking forward to this.

Though I guess expecting some of my long-standing gripes with the franchise (namely the unnecessary farming/grinding in some areas) to be fixed is unrealistic

Graphic still looks rough but great trailer.
Comparing Capcom to Capcom, I feel like the final product for this could slightly have the edge over Dragon’s Dogma 2.

You going to wait for Rise 2?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Comparing Capcom to Capcom, I feel like the final product for this could slightly have the edge over Dragon’s Dogma 2.

You going to wait for Rise 2?
Kinda of a low bar, d2 wasn't really a looker.

If there was a capcom game that deserved all the budget and manpower to make it look actually nextgen it would be the sequel of your most successful game from past gen, but alas...

Capcom prefer to squander money by remaking every damn re title they have apparently.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The more realistic they make the graphics the more out of place feel the fantastical designs that used to be the bread and butter of monster hunter.
I don't think so.

Pacific rim has 100x times the fidelity of this game and creatures definitely don't look out of place, same with any other movies with monsters and good cg.

Fidelity has nothing to do with it and the fidelity in wild is not nearly high enough to even start such a discussion
This model would look mid even as a ps4 launch title

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't think so.

Pacific rim has 100x times the fidelity of this game and creatures definitely don't look out of place, same with any other movies with monsters and good cg.

Fidelity has nothing to do with it and the fidelity in wild is not nearly high enough to even start such a discussion
This model would look mid even as a ps4 launch title

I don’t know man. Maybe it’s about art style. What I know is that if you play rise monsters feel much more at home, specially the more out there designs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don’t know man. Maybe it’s about art style. What I know is that if you play rise monsters feel much more at home, specially the more out there designs.
The opposite for me, i didn't liked the lesser fidelity in rise compared to world and i was expecting a much bigger jump in wilds.

Monsters looking more like monsters and less like polygonal videogamey entities help with the immersion.

I would kill to have the movie fidelity for monsters

giphy.webp

Last edited:
Trailer kinda lacked oomph, but I liked what I saw. Packs of monsters, setting traps, choco dog cat thing coming in clutch, big titties; it’s all coming together.

Fact is that it isn’t confusing for more experienced players. Ya learn the game and it becomes second nature. Granted some people just aren’t gonna click with it regardless, but the inventory does it’s job and I’d say it does it well.

Part of the inventory management is setting it up so you know where everything is. It’s a part of prep.
That’s the thing, I’m not trying to spend that much time doing prep. It’s unnecessary. I must just be one of those people that doesn’t click with it…I’m okay with that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That’s the thing, I’m not trying to spend that much time doing prep. It’s unnecessary. I must just be one of those people that doesn’t click with it…I’m okay with that.
Monster hunter must be the series of games where the click can happen even after hundreds and hundreds of hours if you are new to the brand.

I know it sound like an excuse (and it probably is), but i never experienced a game where i was still clicking with things after 600 hours:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SSfox

This game is quite impressive in every aspect. It actually has the potential to be the game if generation.

Tomi

Graphics look very very good
I hopw we gonna have 4k textures from the start as addon
Gonna be a looker for sure!

Schmendrick

The technological side looks absolutely terrible, like they`ve forgotten to update their engine for over a decade....like really, really bad.

I´ll still probably sink hundreds of hours into this because ....well, it`s MH.

Graphics look very very good
the fuck? Unless someone is coming straight from the mobile MHs and hasn`t played anything on stationary hardware in years I can`t fathom how anyone could say this.

Last edited:
Kinda of a low bar, d2 wasn't really a looker.

If there was a capcom game that deserved all the budget and manpower to make it look actually nextgen it would be the sequel of your most successful game from past gen, but alas...
There were only two times I can recall where Capcom actually made a game that was a technical graphics powerhouse. One was Revelations for the 3DS, and the second was Deep Down, which never came out. I don’t count RE 1 Remake due to pre-rendered backgrounds. So, aside from those two, I have never looked at Capcom to make the next Crysis. They just make pretty-enough games.

I don’t know why anyone would look at them for that. That’s why I don’t know why you’re giving them such a high bar to surpass graphically, when that has mostly been a western endeavor.
Capcom prefer to squander money by remaking every damn re title they have apparently.
This is a separate point from the above.

Fbh

Graphic still looks rough but great trailer.

If these visuals means it's going to be 60fps on consoles I'm more than fine with it.
If it's unlocked 30 like DD2 the yeah, it needs a lot of polish to justify it.

What gives me hope is that I think Capcom will probably want to put this on Switch 2, so they'll not push the visuals that much

Last edited:
Top Bottom