• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster hunter Wilds New trailer | State of Play

Schmendrick

No, too many 8bit games. Clearly wilds is an "upscaled PS3 game" as someone else said.
Hiding your technological incompetence behind sarcasm? k.
If you come around please point out which visual aspect of what we`ve seen so far isn`t at least one gen behind comparable AAA productions....
Assets, geometry, textures, lighting, animations.....are all firmly stuck on early-mid PS4 era levels (a good part of the animation work seems to have been recycled even) , so what`s left to objectively impress on the visual side here?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
If these visuals means it's going to be 60fps on consoles I'm more than fine with it.
If it's unlocked 30 like DD2 the yeah, it needs a lot of polish to justify it.

What gives me hope is that I think Capcom will probably want to put this on Switch 2, so they'll not push the visuals that much
Horizon forbidden west looks much better and run at 60 frames while being crossgen, there is no excuse for this graphic on a fully nextgen title, it should look much, much better even considering a 60 fps mode.

The only reason i can find for this graphic is capcom failing to upgrade the re engine for nextgen, the re engine being terrible for open world games or the game being made around switch 2 specs that are obviously much lower than a ps5.

Fbh

Horizon forbidden west looks much better and run at 60 frames while being crossgen, there is no excuse for this graphic on a fully nextgen title, it should look much, much better even considering a 60 fps mode.

The only reason i can find for this graphic is capcom failing to upgrade the re engine for nextgen, the re engine being terrible for open world games or the game being made around switch 2 specs that are obviously much lower than a ps5.

I don't disagree. But sadly not all devs are as skilled as guerilla and not all engines are as good as Decima when it comes to pushing 60fps while still maintaining great visuals.
It's not that I don't want better graphics, but if Capcom can't pull them off without having to lock the game to 30fps then I'd rather get the visuals we have now

GymWolf

Gold Member
There were only two times I can recall where Capcom actually made a game that was a technical graphics powerhouse. One was Revelations for the 3DS, and the second was Deep Down, which never came out. I don’t count RE 1 Remake due to pre-rendered backgrounds. So, aside from those two, I have never looked at Capcom to make the next Crysis. They just make pretty-enough games.

I don’t know why anyone would look at them for that. That’s why I don’t know why you’re giving them such a high bar to surpass graphically, when that has mostly been a western endeavor.

This is a separate point from the above.
I would add re4 on gc and re rebirth on gc, both were incredible graphic wise for the times, don't care if rebirth has prerendered backgrounds, you still need great artists to make such incredible backgrounds, same for onimusha 2, that fucking game looked like a paint and the models were super solid.

And during the ps2 era, dmc1 and 2 were considered game with great graphic, same for onimusha 1.

Lately i guess dmc4 and re4 remake looked good enough but hardly mindblowing.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Agreed. The more we see of this the likelier it feels that this is indeed targeting "next gen handheld" specs.

Capcom isn`t exactly a graphics powerhouse but this kind of total technological stagnation without a reason is still something I´d not expect of them otherwise.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The more we see of this the likelyer it feels that this is targeting "next gen handheld" specs.

Capcom isn`t exactly a graphics powerhouse but this kind of total technological stagnation without a reason is still something I´d not expect of them.
This game being made around switch 2 was always my first thought after the reveal, but some people told me that it's absurd and switch is gonna have its dedicated game.

I really don't see greedy ass capcom renounce at 10 millions copies (at the very, very least) sold on switch 2 tbh.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

This game being made around switch 2 was always my first thought, but some people told me that is absurd and switch is gonna have its dedicated game.

I really don't see greedy ass capcom to renounce at 10 millions copies (at the very, very least) sold on switch 2 tbh.
I´d hoped they`d continue to keep things seperate like they did with Rise and World .
Looking at the technological state of Wilds that hope is dwindling right now and as you`ve said it would absolutely make sense from a business standpoint to consolidate the platform releases.

Last edited:
I would add re4 on gc and re rebirth on gc, both were incredible graphic wise for the times, don't care if rebirth has prerendered backgrounds, you still need great artists to make such incredible backgrounds, same for onimusha 2, that fucking game looked like a paint and the models were super solid.

And during the ps2 era, dmc1 and 2 were considered game with great graphic, same for onimusha 1.

Lately i guess dmc4 and re4 remake looked good enough but hardly mindblowing.
Two points:

1) Metroid Prime, Rogue Squadron, Twin Snakes, and Soul Calibur 2 had already lapped RE 4 by the time it came out. RE 4 was Capcom's best graphical effort on that console, but I'm not going to sit here and say that it was miles ahead of the 4 games I listed, because it wasn't.

You have to care if REmake, Onimusha 1, and Onimusha 2 had pre-rendered backgrounds, because now you're diving into an art conversation and not a graphical one. If you want to discuss art and not graphics, then we can, and you can add RE 0 to that conversation.

2) Look at what generation you're pointing back to in order to make a point. Again, I don't know why you're looking at Capcom to make the next Crysis.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

2) Look at what generation you're pointing back to in order to make a point. Again, I don't know why you're looking at Capcom to make the next Crysis.
I don`t think to expect a decent visual leap over a 6 year old prequel released on 12+ year old hardware is "expecting the next Crysis"....
No one expected Capcom to come around with a pathtraced open world Hellblade 2 MH, but this ....this is just stagnation (visually).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't disagree. But sadly not all devs are as skilled as guerilla and not all engines are as good as Decima when it comes to pushing 60fps while still maintaining great visuals.
It's not that I don't want better graphics, but if Capcom can't pull them off without having to lock the game to 30fps then I'd rather get the visuals we have now
I play on pc so i'm just gonna crank up all the settings and probably still have 120 frames if the graphic remain the same, unless this one is even less optimized than dogma 2.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Two points:

1) Metroid Prime, Rogue Squadron, Twin Snakes, and Soul Calibur 2 had already lapped RE 4 by the time it came out. RE 4 was Capcom's best graphical effort on that console, but I'm not going to sit here and say that it was miles ahead of the 4 games I listed, because it wasn't.

You have to care if REmake, Onimusha 1, and Onimusha 2 had pre-rendered backgrounds, because now you're diving into an art conversation and not a graphical one. If you want to discuss art and not graphics, then we can, and you can add RE 0 to that conversation.

I was not making any point, i was just adding titles to your list of impressive games made by capcom.

I don't expect the new crysis but i expect something that looks better than a crossgen title from 3 years ago, guerrilla and capcom are not rockstar and an indie dev, they are both big ass triple A devs that can push the budget of their games.

They are still asking 80 euros like guerrilla does.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I’m curious how you missed out on World?

I had actively avoided the series until jumping in with World at release. Those 100 hours were some of the most enjoyable gaming I have ever had.
A lot of people tried the portable games that were more clunky, and less streamlined so they didn't even gave a chance to the new ones.

I was about to make the same mistake, thank god they put a demo on console for world.

And even after a couple of hours with the demo i was ready to never buy the game, but like i said in this topic, mh take a while to fully click.

Last edited:
I was not making any point, i was just adding titles to your list of impressive games made by capcom.

I don't expect the new crysis but i expect something that looks better than a crossgen title from 3 years ago, guerrilla and capcom are not rockstar and an indie dev, they are both big ass triple A devs that can push the budget of their games.

I don't consider Guerilla and Capcom to be on the same wavelength in terms of graphics and release strategy. Considering that Capcom's strategy is to release on nearly every platform imaginable (which is why they want the RE Engine to be as flexible as possible), I don't think what you want will happen until the lower end/portable hardware finally experiences their own leap. Your comparison also isn't the fairest because Guerilla has the might and budget of Sony behind them. Capcom was experiencing some budgetary issues just one generation ago. I'd argue that's part of the reason why we never got Deep Down even though the game was literally playable.

I've said this before in another thread but I pretty much feel this strategy to release on as many platforms as possible will be the strategy going forward for a ton of devs and publishers, to make up for the bloated costs of development, R&D, and marketing. Nintendo is going to keep the market in this weird offset position for a while, because they're never going to budge and join the graphics race again.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Hiding your technological incompetence behind sarcasm? k.
If you come around please point out which visual aspect of what we`ve seen so far isn`t at least one gen behind comparable AAA productions....
Assets, geometry, textures, lighting, animations.....are all firmly stuck on early-mid PS4 era levels (a good part of the animation work seems to have been recycled even) , so what`s left to objectively impress on the visual side here?
I was replying to your own sarcasm about Minecraft. Weird timing to suddenly get all serious on me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't consider Guerilla and Capcom to be on the same wavelength in terms of graphics and release strategy. Considering that Capcom's strategy is to release on nearly every platform imaginable (which is why they want the RE Engine to be as flexible as possible), I don't think what you want will happen until the lower end/portable hardware finally experiences their own leap. Your comparison also isn't the fairest because Guerilla has the might and budget of Sony behind them. Capcom was experiencing some budgetary issues just one generation ago. I'd argue that's part of the reason why we never got Deep Down even though the game was literally playable.

I've said this before in another thread but I pretty much feel this strategy to release on as many platforms as possible will be the strategy going forward for a ton of devs and publishers, to make up for the bloated costs of development, R&D, and marketing. Nintendo is going to keep the market in this weird offset position for a while, because they're never going to budge and join the graphics race again.
Capcom doesn't have monetary problems anymore, their mh games sells great, their remake sells great and they have a shitload of project in development, they are super healthy now, it is not an excuse anymore to be a poor aaa developer, hfw didn't had a 2 billion budget like gta6, it has the average budget for big AAA games that one expect from big developers like sony and capcom, your average assassins creed has probably a bigger budget and they usually have mutliple studios and like 1000 people working on them, a rapid search says that ac odissey had more than double the budget of horizon, valhalla probably even more, horizon costed around 212 mil and was made by around 300 devs, it is not even near to the biggest budget in gaming, like not even close.

And sony is not making games for a single hardware anymore, everyone of their games is probably scalable to run on infinite pc hardware configurations after a year or 2, plus the ps5 pro version of the games, so their games have to be flexible as much as capcom titles.
And i'm not gonna be happy if capcom decidd to be so fucking flexible because they have to make the game run on a fucking tablet switch 2, that is just pure greed, not an excuse.

Sorry, but if if you ask 80 euros and mhw was one of your biggest success in the history of the company, you have to put a big budget and manpower for the sequel and make it look the part, maybe cut some re remake that nobody asked for and give priority to what is certaintly gonna be your most successful game of this gen.

Last edited:
Capcom doesn't have monetary problems anymore, their mh games sells great, their remake sells great and they have a shitload of project in development, they are super healthy now, it is not an excuse anymore to be a poor aaa developer
I don't think they are a poor AAA developer this generation. I think they are right where they need to be. No more, no less. They are winning right now. Even when people tried to do anti-marketing on DD2 with rage bait content, it still sold well. There's no reason for them to take a huge financial risk and dump hundreds of millions into a graphical showcase that only releases on the highest end systems. Even Square Enix is slowly coming to terms with this.

Sorry, but if if you ask 80 euros and mhw was one of your biggest success in the history of the company, you have to put a big budget and manpower for the sequel and make it look the part
...Then I guess you will spend the rest of this generation not buying Capcom games on launch at full price lol. Maybe next generation too, who knows...and based on their content release strategy, I honestly wouldn't advise doing so anyway:

does-anyone-know-how-re8-gold-editon-is-gonna-work-am-i-v0-47m06faupl791.jpg

question-for-those-who-have-re7-gold-edition-digital-on-ps5-v0-jh6m94e01tic1.jpg

resident-evil-4-remake-gold-edition-coming-on-february-9-v0-a1dMhMS7cejSn6Z-hHN6MJ2zd3mTZG2wGKfBJfjUXsg.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think they are a poor AAA developer this generation. I think they are right where they need to be. No more, no less. They are winning right now. Even when people tried to do anti-marketing on DD2 with rage bait content, it still sold well.

...Then I guess you will spend the rest of this generation not buying Capcom games on launch at full price lol. Maybe next generation too, who knows...and based on their content release strategy, I honestly wouldn't advise doing so anyway:
Oh Ffs, i'm the most hyped in this forum for wild, criticing the graphic and saying that they should offer more doesn't mean that i'm not gonna buy and play the absolute shit out of it.

One can praise something and criticize something else, we are not monkeys or childs dude, we can have more nuamced thoughts about something.

We are in a forum, not a capcom echo chamber where you can only say positive things.

I can be excited and critical at the same time.

And even more funny, i'm talking broadly, on pc i'm not gonna pay 80 euros or even close to that, probably just 40-45 euros, but i'm not gonna call out people that maybe only have a console and have to pay full price if they are not happy with the graphic, it is their right.

Last edited:
Oh Ffs, i'm the most hyped in this forum for wild, criticing the graphic and saying that they should offer more doesn't mean that i'm not gonna buy and play the absolute shit out of it.
denzel-washington-my-heart.gif

One can praise something and criticize something else, we are not monkeys or childs dude, we can have more intricate thoughts about something.
Lol, c'mon GymWolf GymWolf , you can't blame me for noticing that it's hard to tell nowadays on this forum. I mean, there are people here who will literally cancel a purchase based on how hot or not hot an NPC is, or if a 3 letter company was anywhere within orbit of a game. It's hard to sift through the madness of it all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m curious when they show off flagship monster. I’m also guessing this game gonna have much more focus on story compare to past games since we actually have voiced MC.

This looked great to me. Never played MH but got MH: World for like 80% off on Steam yesterday so may dip my toe in and see if it's for me before this releases.

GymWolf

Gold Member
denzel-washington-my-heart.gif

Lol, c'mon GymWolf GymWolf , you can't blame me for noticing that it's hard to tell nowadays on this forum. I mean, there are people here who will literally cancel a purchase based on how hot or not hot an NPC is, or if a 3 letter company was anywhere within orbit of a game. It's hard to sift through the madness of it all.
That is a more complicated affair, i could say that people who doesn't buy games for stupid things are not real players, but people have different principles and i'm not gonna judge other people principles.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I’m curious when they show off flagship monster. I’m also guessing this game gonna have much more focus on story compare to past games since we actually have voiced MC.
I mean, if he just talk during cutscene and just say some stupid shit ingame like in rise, it would not change that much during pure gameplay (what really count in a mh title).

As an absolute lover of silly monster stories, i would be glad if they can make something even more involved than world (but not super serious).

I know world had the trashiest story possible, but i just love hearing about huge monsters changing entire ecosystems and how dangerous they are:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Wooxsvan

need to confirm cross play AND cross save. hope the multiplayer is more seemless than world. getting groups for specific fights could be cumbersome. combat looks amazing

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Do these usually come to pc? Are the ports good?

Edit: I see pc, just need to read. Quality of the ports though?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do these usually come to pc? Are the ports good?

Edit: I see pc, just need to read. Quality of the ports though?
Rise was excellent, but was also a switch port so you could achieve 4k120 easily.

Never had much problems with world but i usually have a good rig so i can't speak for lower hardwares.

I only remember dlss integration being utter shit (in world)

Last edited:
Capcom is the fucking GOAT game publisher right now!

Dragon's Dogma 2 made me moist and now MH: Wilds looks so fucking good I could eat a camel's fart for just 5 mins playing it.

I want this so fucking bad!

splattered

Game looks fucking awesome to me. I'm not a hardcore WH snob. Played a LOT of worlds with the wife and we loved it. This one looks like great fun too. Game isn't finished and even if it looks same as this trailer at release ill still buy it.

I’m curious how you missed out on World?

I had actively avoided the series until jumping in with World at release. Those 100 hours were some of the most enjoyable gaming I have ever had.
I've been considering MH after finishing Dragon's Dogma 2. Not sure where to start with the series yet though.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
I've been considering MH after finishing Dragon's Dogma 2. Not sure where to start with the series yet though.
I think World is the best starting point personally. I think it expands on the classic elements of the series very well (e.g. interconnected map rather than seperate zones). The DLC adds so much great stuff too, particularly for the end game.

There’s a ton of monsters to fight, environment traps, the multiplayer is great, the biomes are unique, and it’s a great mix of grounded gameplay with room for out of this world badassery. I think it would be a great transition into Wilds too.

The only weakness is that there’s not as many unique looking weapons as I would like. Many use the same base model, with monster parts slapped on. The DLC fixed this a bit though.

Sgt.Asher

Seems to be pulling a bit from 4u, blonde lady looks like lil miss forge all growed up. Hopefully that means a return of gogmazios.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't like the weapon switching, it could make the game too easy and having only one weapon during the hunt is kinda of a staple.

If i can switch to a bow when dragons fly i don't need to learn how to deal with them with just a greatsword for example.

I don't know, they kept the possibility of being saved mid-fall from rise and that already made the game much easier than world, not sure if i like making the game even easier.

I guess i'm just gonna avoid to bring a second weapon, hopefully they didn't made the game easier to be even more streamlined than world and rise, they were my first mh games and people told me that they were already easier compared to the past games.

Last edited:

Fabieter

No, too many 8bit games. Clearly wilds is an "upscaled PS3 game" as someone else said.

It's soo funny.

Gamers: Fuck pubs for not managing reasonable budgets

Also gamers: fuck pubs for having reasonable budgets.

I like good looking games as well but it's not bad or ps3 looking. Those people need to go back play some older games from time to time.

Fabieter

So critical for charging fullprice is that you have the best graphics at release?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't like the weapon switching, it could make the game too easy and having only one weapon during the hunt is kinda of a staple.
You can switch anything and everything and have infinite items from your item box in the base camps since World. I ignored those functions (and the games were still perfectly doable so this type of addition was certainly not well thought out or well implemented or balanced) but they were there...

They're just "streamlining" it a bit more so you don't have to go to any base camp (I guess unless you wanna change either of your carried weapons and get more items as I imagine the base camps are still gonna be in too), like folks said to fans of the previous games for all the World changes, heh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom