• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster hunter Wilds New trailer | State of Play

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can't wait to see more, it's a Tri level bump up in base tech/fidelity/everything yet retaining the good core gameplay. I still loathe the World style story but dinos are basically palamutes and wirebugs are in too but maybe more nudging the hunter in direction/speed rather than flying off. Rise 2 ftw!
bugs.png

Last edited:

GymWolf

You can switch anything and everything and have infinite items from your item box in the base camps since World. I ignored those functions (and the games were still perfectly doable so this type of addition was certainly not well thought out or well implemented or balanced) but they were there...

They're just "streamlining" it a bit more so you don't have to go to any base camp (I guess unless you wanna change either of your carried weapons and get more items as I imagine the base camps are still gonna be in too), like folks said to fans of the previous games for all the World changes, heh.
I was of course talking about mid fight, before to change weapon you still had to go to the camp, now you can use a bow when a dragon fly and your weapon of choice when it is on the ground or any other example of mixing weapons in real time.

So critical for charging fullprice is that you have the best graphics at release?
I don't expect the best graphic from capcom, but i'm not asking the moon if i want something better than what we had, don't act like it's an absurd request, they are an AAA publisher and they ask AAA money, if you have lower standards, then good for you, but like i said before, don't call out people who want more, this is a forum not an echo chamber, we can be both excited and critical about the game.

GymWolf

I can't wait to see more, it's a Tri level bump up in base tech/fidelity/everything yet retaining the good core gameplay. I still loathe the World style story but dinos are basically palamutes and wirebugs are in too but maybe more nudging the hunter in direction/speed rather than flying off. Rise 2 ftw!
bugs.png
I mean sure if you ignore the added weigh to movement and combat, being more cutscenes\story driven, emphasis on the ecosystem, scouting to find monsters without a big arrow and the other things that come from world, sure this is rise 2 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think they mixed the best of both but i see more world than rise and i'm not the only one...i guess the heart see what it want to see, rise lovers see more of rise, world lovers see more of world :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Hopefully we have the switch skills from rise, the single best thing i liked from that game, i think there is a moment in the trailer where he switch something but i don't know if it's a weapon or a skill, strangely enough i only watched the trailer once, i need like 10 rewatches :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Fabieter

I was of course talking about mid fight, before to change weapon you still had to go to the camp, now you can use a bow when a dragon fly and your weapon of choice when it is on the ground or any other example of mixing weapons in real time.

I don't expect the best graphic from capcom, but i'm not asking the moon if i want something better than what we had, don't act like it's an absurd request, they are an AAA publisher and they ask AAA money, if you have lower standards, then good for you, but like i said before, don't call out people who want more, this is a forum not an echo chamber, we can be both excited and critical about the game.

What AAA money are you referring to? Budgets have risen disproportionately to the prices we pay for games, even at the AA level.

There is much more to a budget than graphics, especially in a game like Monster Hunter. They may have raised the bar on simulation and physics, which could put it above most AAA games.

Additionally, we can't criticize publishers for not having reasonable budgets and then turn around and criticize them for not having state-of-the-art graphics. I would even argue that even from a purely graphical standpoint, this is in the AAA ballpark anyway. So, I don't know, man.

GymWolf

What AAA money are you referring to? Budgets have risen disproportionately to the prices we pay for games, even at the AA level.

There is much more to a budget than graphics, especially in a game like Monster Hunter. They may have raised the bar on simulation and physics, which could put it above most AAA games.

Additionally, we can't criticize publishers for not having reasonable budgets and then turn around and criticize them for not having state-of-the-art graphics. I would even argue that even from a purely graphical standpoint, this is in the AAA ballpark anyway. So, I don't know, man.
I get you man, but as a gigantic fan of mh, graphic fidelity is also something that i want to be improved, i'm a huge monster movies fan, so mh is kinda of my dream game thematically speaking, seeing locations and monsters in high fidelity is kinda of a dream and i'm also a bit of a graphic whore (but not enough to buy stuff like hb2 even for 10 euros), and only capcom does a monster hunting game that i like (i tried the others and lasted 2 hours top except for wild hearts but that one run like absolute shit so i had to forcibly bail out), so they are my last hope for some nextgen monster goodness.

I just hope that the game can get a big upgrade to the graphic before coming out, they still have a bit of time if the game release at the end of 2025 and not at the start.

Btw, i'm not one of the dudes that criticize big budget in games, i'm fucking glad that a juggernaut like gta6 has a 2 bil budget and it's taking 10 years to be made, i'm ok with waiting for greatness.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I get you man, but as a gigantic fan of mh, graphic fidelity is also something that i want to be improved, i'm a huge monster movies fan, so mh is kinda of my dream game thematically speaking, seeing locations and monsters in high fidelity is kinda of a dream and i'm also a bit of a graphic whore (but not enough to buy stuff like hb2 even for 10 euros), and only capcom does a monster hunting game that i like (i tried the others and lasted 2 hours top except for wild hearts but that one run like absolute shit so i had to forcibly bail out), so they are my last hope for some nextgen monster goodness.

I just hope that the game can get a big upgrade to the graphic before coming out, they still have a bit of time if the game release at the end of 2025 and not at the start.

Btw, i'm not one of the dudes that criticize big budget in games, i'm fucking glad that a juggernaut like gta6 has a 2 bil budget and it's taking 10 years to be made, i'm ok with waiting for greatness.

Oh I can totally get behind that. I also love big budgets but it has to be sustainable and mh was niche before world at least outside of Asia. And people in the west are generally more focused on graphics so for the game itself its probably worth it to put more budget behind other stuff than that. I for once hate small OSTs in aaa games which is mostly a western game thing.

But overall sure I also take prettier graphics. :D

GymWolf

Japanese blog has some new details

Wounding
A new system that creates weak spots on monsters' bodies. By repeatedly attacking specific body parts, they will gradually become damaged, making them temporary weak spots.

Focus Mode
A state where you can precisely aim your attacks and guards. When in Focus Mode, your scoutflies will turn red and mark wounds and weak points on a monster.

Focused Weak Point Attack
If you hit a monster's weak spot or wounded spot, you will perform a critical follow up attack for massive damage.

Some weapons can time their attacks with the monster's in order to forcibly knock them away, and there are actions that can lead to powerful follow-ups. Guarding against some powerful attacks will also lead to dynamic power struggles.

Wooxsvan

Joe confirms you will be able to start quests in expedition mode. this was heavily alluded to in the latest video but nice to see confirmation. about 39:46

Khan’s Kast - A Monster Hunter Wilds Chat with CM Joe Bustos

Top Bottom