• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Umgadi Trailer and Pre Order Information Released

Aces High

This game is such a disappointment. Awful art direction. Boring and forgetable character designs. Why is every stage bright and beautiful? Where's the acid pit and the torture dungeon? It's like they took everything that makes Mortal Kombat stand out from other fighting games and did the exact opposite. And why can't we turn off that stupid tag team mode?

This game is such a disappointment. Awful art direction. Boring and forgetable character designs. Why is every stage bright and beautiful? Where's the acid pit and the torture dungeon? It's like they took everything that makes Mortal Kombat stand out from other fighting games and did the exact opposite. And why can't we turn off that stupid tag team mode?
You know the game is taking place in a rebooted world right? Liu Kang tried to fix everything that's why things haven't fallen apart. I'm sure there will be arenas that look roughed up later, we already saw one earlier today.

xiskza

Wtf is this?

860GNuT.jpg

Atrocious design

Pejo

Chalk me up in the "ugly as fuck characters" column.

But damn the stages and backgrounds are fucking A++++ tier. That jungle city one specifically looks amazing.

I just don't get why developers want ugly characters. People like looking at attractive characters. Games are entertainment, why would we want to look at ugly characters all the time in entertainment? Why is this such a weird concept for western devs?

ShadowNate

The only thing I do wish for is a mode that we can play without the cameo tag teams and without the cutscenes for the special combos (which would probably mean to remove them altogether for that mode).

Iirc there was such a challenge mode in the previous ones, wasn't there? It wasn't very fun though, felt rather dry. They need to use that, but still make it fun.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Chalk me up in the "ugly as fuck characters" column.

But damn the stages and backgrounds are fucking A++++ tier. That jungle city one specifically looks amazing.

I just don't get why developers want ugly characters. People like looking at attractive characters. Games are entertainment, why would we want to look at ugly characters all the time in entertainment? Why is this such a weird concept for western devs?
The stages are shit too, yes they look pretty but they are too busy and do not fit with the MK style. They're bright colourful, bland and generic. MK is known for literally having entirely different realms which don't resemble earth in the slightest, they feel mysterious, forboding and enveloping. What we got in this trailer was a beautiful perfectly crafted garden, generic unreal engine desert environment #32919477, generic hogwarts room #746523745 - so uninspired and lazy. Utter bullshit, this is only MK in name, Boon should be removed. This is what I imagine when I think of MK stages:

1ksBRZl.jpg
1TqBum7.png
z1EDxfN.png
7udFrI1.png

Last edited:

Pejo

The stages are shit too, yes they look pretty but they are too busy and do not fit with the MK style. They're bright colourful, bland and generic. MK is known for literally having entirely different realms which don't resemble earth in the slightest, they feel mysterious, forboding and enveloping. What we got in this trailer was a beautiful perfectly crafted garden, generic unreal engine desert environment #32919477, generic hogwarts room #746523745 - so uninspired and lazy. Utter bullshit, this is only MK in name, Boon should be removed. This is what I imagine when I think of MK stages:

1ksBRZl.jpg
1TqBum7.png
z1EDxfN.png
7udFrI1.png
I agree with your premise but this is a reboot, so they can do whatever in theory. I just meant that they have a lot going on and the scenery itself is beautiful. Even that Library stage looked fantastic.

Hot5pur

I don't mind the female character design so much. The art design just seems bland or generic overall. It's like the characters all look samey and not very iconic. It is beautiful however visually.
Gameplay and effects look good. I just wish they got rid of the block button so I would be motivated to learn it properly...

SSfox

Characters designs extremely boring and bland overall.

And worst Kombat pack is history by far. This will be the first MK I'm not getting day one.

Mr Branding

1ksBRZl.jpg
1TqBum7.png
z1EDxfN.png
7udFrI1.png
Complains about bright stages.

Posts Yin-Yang island as a counter-example. 🤷‍♂️

As a fan of mk since the very first game, I cannot wait for this. So glad they are shaking things up a bit.

Wow we have a lot of troll and toxic old farts around here...

Only those who played the stress test knows how beautiful this game is.

So, before throw your unnecessary rage, play it and then post. It's a pretty basic standard for a normal human being. Pre judgment makes you look like a immature and crybaby child.

Tanya is now a black woman, that's more than fine for me, i liked.
You guys know im one of those guys here who HATE the woke culture bs, anti-era, but is nothing wrong with MK1 until now tbh...

Also loved the fact that Gamology martial artists duo did Kenshi\Kitana!

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
Complains about bright stages.

Posts Yin-Yang island as a counter-example. 🤷‍♂️

As a fan of mk since the very first game, I cannot wait for this. So glad they are shaking things up a bit.
You pick out one thing out of my entire explanation out of context to try to find a contradiction, because you couldn't be bothered to formulate a legitimate response to something that makes you feel uncomfortable?
Let's look at what I actually said, since you're too much of a clown or just too dishonest to actually give a proper account.
They are too busy and do not fit with the MK style. They're bright colourful, bland and generic. MK is known for literally having entirely different realms which don't resemble earth in the slightest, they feel mysterious, forboding and enveloping.
Did I, anywhere in the post, say that no stages in Mortal Kombat should be bright? No. Did I compare the general trend of tone in stages set by past MK games as being unfitting with this one? Yes, why yes I did. Can a description "bright colourful, bland and generic" be substituted with just the word "bright" as though I just meant that? No...not unless your dishonest, a clown or both. Does any of this mean I think a brightly illuminated stage shouldn't exist in Mortal Kombat? No. Even if it somehow did, why would you think me posting a stage which is literally has no single theme as it constantly changes from one to other, as a contradiction?
The dumbest cope post I've seen in a while.

Mr Branding

Wow we have a lot of troll and toxic old farts around here...

Only those who played the stress test knows how beautiful this game is.

So, before throw your unnecessary rage, play it and then post. It's a pretty basic standard for a normal human being. Pre judgment makes you look like a immature and crybaby child.

Tanya is now a black woman, that's more than fine for me, i liked.
You guys know im one of those guys here who HATE the woke culture bs, anti-era, but is nothing wrong with MK1 until now tbh...

Also loved the fact that Gamology martial artists duo did Kenshi\Kitana!
Some people are afraid of change, it’s that easy.
Reddit is also full of moaning about Tanya and Ermac but they look fine to me?!

Hot5pur

Tanya definitely doesn't look fine. It's just bad character design. Why couldn't they have done something like this (see image)?
Perhaps she needs to be older / an icky looking villain?
You know you could play the woke game both ways and say they intentionally made the black character unattractive, what does that say? Personally I don't care because I don't have sex with my game characters but having strange looking designs is not going to make a better game.

PYvrNcF.jpg

poodaddy

The Tanya thing doesn't really affect me much, but I will say having both Omni Man and Homelander in the DLC characters is weird to me personally. I get they're both popular characters, but they're both essentially just evil Superman archetypes, so both of them at one time just seems unnecessary to me. They should have chosen one between them and used a different character, guest or not I don't care, but just one that isn't quite so similar to the evil Superman archetype.

//DEVIL//

The name is funny. Umgadi. Um Gadi . I'm middle East it's like mother of Gadi.

Mother of Gadi got her slippers and going to attack

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The Tanya thing doesn't really affect me much, but I will say having both Omni Man and Homelander in the DLC characters is weird to me personally. I get they're both popular characters, but they're both essentially just evil Superman archetypes, so both of them at one time just seems unnecessary to me. They should have chosen one between them and used a different character, guest or not I don't care, but just one that isn't quite so similar to the evil Superman archetype.
They're hot with normies right now so it's easy sales even if what you're saying is true.

poodaddy

They're hot with normies right now so it's easy sales even if what you're saying is true.
Yeah I know, tick the marketing boxes I get it. The guests with 11 and X were so much more interesting to me, and they didn't seem geared towards appealing to current pop culture trends. 11 was all classic action characters of the 80's and 90's, and X was all classic Sci Fi horror or slashers. This one is....mean guys of cape shit? Well that is cohesive I suppose. Almost makes me think Spawn would have fit more in this pack of guests than 11, but eh it is what it is.

MiguelItUp

Did no one play the stress test? How is the actual gameplay?
I had a code but I gave it to another homie that I felt was a larger MK fan than I ever was, I mean, he's still running a several decade old website, lol. His reaction is that it's basically MK 11.5, the .5 being the kameos, and a slight change in the feeling of combos and the amount of airs.

I just wish we could get another MK9, or something that feels like it. 9 was my favorite, and sure MK has always been "stiff" but 9 felt the least stiff to me. The jump to X was awful IMO, and then 11 was the same but slightly different.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
She reminds me of the wrestler Queen Aminata

All Im saying is Tanya better have this cake....

RAIDEN1

The fact that they are even going with this reboot idea is just bad, makes you question what was 1992 all about....I mean instead of this why not have another spin-off game in the vein of Shaolin Monks?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh wow I’m in the gross minority here I guess. Every new trailer I see, I get more and more hyped. I haven’t played MK since the initial release of 11, but I think this game looks so awesome. The fighting looks so expressive and fun, and I like a lot of the new takes on old characters.

Can’t wait for this!

Some people are afraid of change, it’s that easy.
Reddit is also full of moaning about Tanya and Ermac but they look fine to me?!
You have the right to voice your enjoyment/lack of complaint, and other people, their dislike towards it. Both you and them, can coexist completely fine, like this thread is showing.

"Moaning", is also a really childish way to portray criticism that you don't like.

I don't know why people that enjoy a thing that people are generally not enjoying it, need to be so defensive about it. When NO ONE in this thread is attacking people for enjoying it.

Just gonna add I find the designs weird when it seemed like with Injustice 2 and MK11 they were finally getting their aesthetic down. MK9, Injustice, and X all the characters were plasticy, which may be a result of 9/Inj being 360 games, and X obviously starting as a 360 game that got upgraded for X1/PS4 (it had scrapped 360/PS3 versions).

Male or female, no characters looked great before Inj2, but Inj2 and MK11 had the best character models they’ve done. Like the ladies looked “realistic”, but weren’t ugly sticks like this new game.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Seems gaf is on the hate train with this one… it might turn up to be a great game then.

BaldingAshCrimson BaldingAshCrimson read the comment I’m replying to. If calling me a clown isn’t attacking, then I don’t know what is.
You made a driveby shitpost and completely my strawmanned my criticism, to which I methodically dismantled you. I understand it's very embarrasing for you, and instead of addressing it you can do nothing but retreat into tone policing as people always do when they don't have a leg to stand on and are too uncomfortable to admit they're wrong. You can't come in here, completely disrespect people's opinion with your lies and cry when you're called out for it.

After that, you just doubled down and cried about people having a different opinion to you and dismissed it all as just a "hate train" and "moaning". You can't seem to handle being on a forum where you have the privilige to state your own opinion and challenge others fairly on theirs, instead you want to mischaracterize people's opinion instead of treat them fairly and talk down about people have don't agree with you.

Really and truly you deserve a ban.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

You made a driveby shitpost and completely my strawmanned my criticism, to which I methodically dismantled you. I understand it's very embarrasing for you, and instead of addressing it you can do nothing but retreat into tone policing as people always do when they don't have a leg to stand on and are too uncomfortable to admit they're wrong. You can't come in here, completely disrespect people's opinion with your lies and cry when you're called out for it.

After that, you just doubled down and cried about people having a different opinion to you and dismissed it all as just a "hate train". You can't seem to handle being on a forum where you have the privilige to state your own opinion and challenge others fairly on theirs, instead you want to mischaracterize people's opinion instead of treat them fairly and talk down about people have don't agree with you.

Who hurt you?
James Franco Reaction GIF

Last edited:

After that, you just doubled down and cried about people having a different opinion to you and dismissed it all as just a "hate train" and "moaning". You can't seem to handle being on a forum where you have the privilige to state your own opinion and challenge others fairly on theirs, instead you want to mischaracterize people's opinion instead of treat them fairly and talk down about people have don't agree with you.

Having a bad day bro?

I don't mind the female character design so much. The art design just seems bland or generic overall. It's like the characters all look samey and not very iconic. It is beautiful however visually.
Gameplay and effects look good. I just wish they got rid of the block button so I would be motivated to learn it properly...
I’ve always really disliked block buttons in all fighting games especially Mortal Kombat. To me it’s another button to worry about when I’m trying to play the game and fight opponents.

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
You know the game is taking place in a rebooted world right? Liu Kang tried to fix everything that's why things haven't fallen apart. I'm sure there will be arenas that look roughed up later, we already saw one earlier today.
It a reboot because they were in the middle of making injustice and had to pivot last minute. It's the reason why you are getting 3 superhero like characters for dlc. They can just copy/paste movelist with very little effort and add a fatality.

They didn't change the game as a creative choice, they had to adapt last minute. Here is the result.

The backgrounds look nice, but I actually prefer the character designs in MK11 so far. I don’t know, they looked more iconic and distinctive to me. We’ll see. Maybe some extra skins will rectify this issue. Is it me or do the females look better in MK11 as well from what I’ve seen especially Sindel who imo looked really good. Also, the tag team mode is mandatory? Uh, I don’t know if that’s a good thing.

Last edited:
Okay but that still leaves us with characters that look like random people from street and the always-on tag team mechanic.
These are going to be their origin stories, Boon even said Raiden doesn't start out with his electrical powers in the beginning of the game. This is a series that has an actual story unlike any other fighting game franchise out there so the character designs reflect that.

It a reboot because they were in the middle of making injustice and had to pivot last minute. It's the reason why you are getting 3 superhero like characters for dlc. They can just copy/paste movelist with very little effort and add a fatality.

They didn't change the game as a creative choice, they had to adapt last minute. Here is the result.
That's not true at all, where did you get that nonsense? Homelander and Omni-man probably wouldn't even be allowed in Injustice, they are far too violent for that series. Just like Superman wouldn't be allowed in Mortal Kombat, yeah the Joker was and I wouldn't he shocked to see Harley in Kombat Pack 2 but they aren't going to allow their heroes to be doing fatalities on people or taking them.

Just gonna add I find the designs weird when it seemed like with Injustice 2 and MK11 they were finally getting their aesthetic down. MK9, Injustice, and X all the characters were plasticy, which may be a result of 9/Inj being 360 games, and X obviously starting as a 360 game that got upgraded for X1/PS4 (it had scrapped 360/PS3 versions).

Male or female, no characters looked great before Inj2, but Inj2 and MK11 had the best character models they’ve done. Like the ladies looked “realistic”, but weren’t ugly sticks like this new game.
I think Li Mei is very pretty, Tanya looks like a real person she's just not your type.

MiguelItUp

Gameplay wise this looking way better than SF6 and that's something I never expected to say.
I'm curious what makes you feel that way. Obviously to each their own, but SF6's mechanics are the best in awhile IMO. There's various layers in the drive system that are easy to do, but can be difficult to master.

Campaign-wise I feel like Netherrealm is the best. No other fighter comes close. I just wish their games could be a little more technical or smooth like MK9.

Top Bottom