• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Launch Trailer

WB have also shared the accessibility options for MK1 on their website. Some pretty good stuff in there.

Visual​

Screen Reader​

Narration for menu items is available. All users are initially guided towards the Text-to-Speech feature on the first launch.

Colorblind Modes​

Colorblind pre-set modes edit user interface (UI) and heads-up display (HUD) elements that might not be accessible to all in their original colors. Presets exist for Protanopia (Green Light), Deuteranopia (Red Light), and Tritanopia (Blue Light). The intensity of the colorblind mode can be adjusted.

Display Settings​

Brightness can be adjusted at any time.

Lowered Health Bars​

Players can lower HUD location of Health Bars through the Options menu, placing them closer to the focal point of the screen.

Descriptive Audio​

Enable descriptive audio narration describing events happening on screen. Supports all Story cinematics, Fatalities, and Fatal Blows.

Extra Audio Feedback​

Users can choose between four presets that toggle additional audio cues for gameplay elements. The volume of these cues can be tweaked individually:
  • Distance between Fighters – Adjust the volume of a sound cue that gets faster and quieter as distance increases.
  • Health Meter – Adjust the volume of sounds that play at certain health thresholds. Occurs at 75%, 50%, 25%, and critical health.
  • End of Fight Line – Adjust the volume of audio that plays when a fighter is at the end of an arena.
  • Ducking – Adjust the volume of sounds that play when a character ducks and stands up.
  • Blocking – Adjust the volume of a sound that plays when characters block and stop blocking.
  • Hit Type – Adjust the volume of unique sounds that play for high, mid, low, or overhead hits.

Invasions Mode Navigation Assistance​

When the player arrives at an Invasions mode location, the game will play four sounds corresponding to these directions in sequence – Up, Right, Down, and Left. The status of each direction is represented by the sounds that play when you adjust the volume on this setting. The sounds represent these statuses in sequence – Objective, Available, Locked, No Path.

Auditory​

Separate Volume Controls​

Individual controls are available for users to configure:
  • Cinematics – Story cinematics and rendered movies.
  • Music – In-game music.
  • Announcer – Announcer's voice.
  • Ambience – Ambient sounds.
  • Dialogue – Spoken dialogue.
  • Sound Effects – All sound effects from characters and user interface.
Screen Reader volume can be customized under the Accessibility tab.

Audio Mix Presets​

Quickly set audio categories to values that support increased accessibility or return them to defaults.
  • Default – Resets all audio sliders to default values.
  • Light Support – Clarifies gameplay-related audio without altering the primary mix very much.
  • Medium Support – Clarifies gameplay audio significantly and adds mild support through Enhanced Audio Feedback.
  • Heavy Support – Mutes music and ambience and adds all Extra Audio Feedback.

Subtitles​

Users can enable subtitles that support all key dialogue in Story mode as well as supplemental dialogue such as pre-fight dialogue and quips said during gameplay. Subtitles are on by default. Users can also modify the subtitle size.

Detailed Audio Effects
Users can tweak specific VFX noises:
  • Hit/Block
  • Fighter Movement
  • Vocalization
  • Gameplay Modifier
  • Special Moves
  • Environmental Detail
  • Fight HUD

Directional Surround Sound​

Players can adjust the audio experience according to the audio hardware that is being used on the first boot and then in the Options menu. Sounds can be set as directional for gameplay via stereo or surround sound setups.

Motor​

Remappable Controls​

All gameplay inputs can be customized and remapped to a different button input. Remapping controls cannot be applied to menu navigation. The four-face button and four-shoulder button controls can be remapped for these inputs:
  • Front Punch
  • Back Punch
  • Front Kick
  • Back Kick
  • Throw
  • Block
  • Kameo
  • Flip Stance

Input Shortcuts​

Users can enable Input Shortcuts which lessen the directional precision required for special moves.

Button Shortcuts​

Users can toggle multi-button inputs for single-button moves.

Test Your Might Gameplay Assistance Toggle​

Users can toggle off the requirement for rapid button mashing for Test Your Might segments during Story mode.

Practice​

Tutorials​

Extensive Tutorials are included covering virtually every aspect of the game. All the Tutorials can be re-accessed at user discretion.

Tutorial Demos​

Most tutorial segments provide a demonstration that shows button inputs and timing for practice.

Practice Modes​

A controlled environment where users can learn their fighter's moveset, with a wide array of customizable behaviors. Fatality practice can also be accessed, with the timer constraint being disabled.

Advanced Communication System
Speech to Text

Voice chat is transcribed into captions on-screen in real-time.

Keyboard to Speech​

All text typed into the chat is narrated allowing for more players to use voice chat without the need of speech.

Note: This feature will be coming to the Nintendo Switch version of the game at a later date.

General​

Settings Tooltips​

All settings are accompanied by tooltips to inform users of what is affected.

Autosaving​

The title includes an autosave feature, which saves progress at key moments during gameplay.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I really want to play this. but I can't keep up. There is Starfield that I didn't play for more than 20 mins, a new COD that I already pre-purchased, FM, and now this. yet I am also studying, working, and a family man. go fucking figure !!.

Why don't they space the games during the year? everything has to be in the last quarter, and fuck life right?

Salz01

I think I’m waiting for the thanks giving sales, to see if this goes on sale and just get it then.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Shit this reminds me, I never did finish MK11's story mode, I should maybe do that this weekend, I really did not play MK11 at all for some reason and I love MK

well remember to also do Aftermath. MK1 is a sequel to the events of Aftermath, not vanilla MK11.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I came across this Invasions image in a preview for the game.....is that an arcade you can get to on the left there?

G9qaAkM.jpg

How wild would it be if this was how they gave us arcade versions of MK1 - UMK3 to play? I'm sure it isn't but i can dream....

I really want to play this. but I can't keep up. There is Starfield that I didn't play for more than 20 mins, a new COD that I already pre-purchased, FM, and now this. yet I am also studying, working, and a family man. go fucking figure !!.

Why don't they space the games during the year? everything has to be in the last quarter, and fuck life right?
I’ve been saying this for years. They literally clump everything together in the last quarter and it’s just too much to keep up with and buy. It’s very annoying especially if you like to purchase and play many games.

SCB3

I’ve been saying this for years. They literally clump everything together in the last quarter and it’s just too much to keep up with and buy. It’s very annoying especially if you like to purchase and play many games.
Its always March ish and September to November, you'd think a game releasing like this JUST before Scholl holidays would sell well

Just_one

I came across this Invasions image in a preview for the game.....is that an arcade you can get to on the left there?

G9qaAkM.jpg

How wild would it be if this was how they gave us arcade versions of MK1 - UMK3 to play? I'm sure it isn't but i can dream....

Street Fighter 6 has rotating arcades with various Street Fighter games. i already played SF2 and SF Alpha 2 in there.

MiguelItUp

I feel like each MK iteration has lost me after MK9. I hope that NRS can create a sequel that will peak for me in a way that feels like MK9, if not more so. At least the campaign / single player content will be fun enough to play, that's almost always the case. But the mechanics and everything just haven't been that enjoyable to me the last two games. So much so that playing online just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I'm hoping MK1 is better, but I'm not expecting it to be at all.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I can’t justify this purchase with phantom liberty so close. Rather replay all of CP2077 and its new content before spidey 2 than try to grind reptile in the lab.

I’ll have to get it later this year maybe.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Unless my eyes deceive me, they fixed JCVD before the final trailer, as he looks way more like him now in this screenshot from the launch trailer:

I've grown to dislike this series from a gameplay standpoint, but my lord, I love how serious they take their franchise. They actually care about their story, and don't make a joke out of it like Street Fighter does. It's the superior game as far as versus fighting goes, but I wish they had a little more care as far as their story since they bothered to put such an elaborate single player mode in the game. These trailers are beyond hyped, and I'm digging the new art direction. Almost makes me want to buy it out of respect.

Jalucan

Neo Member
Why does everone look like there doing cosplay? It’s like the adults who played the games as kids suddenly decided to throw a Mortal Kombat themed Halloween party. I’ll still get it one of these days.

AddiF

Is it just me or does it feel rather lackluster when it comes to content? Story mode is fine, kinda good actually, but some of thr playable characters could be more interesting and the customize part is pretty thin (at first, at least). MK11 felt more loaded. Also, the characters look kinda cartoony in a way but still life-like. Weird. But the game is beautiful!

Top Bottom