• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 | Review Thread

cvWZR3x8.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Mortal Kombat 1

Platforms:
  • PC (Sep 19, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 19, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 19, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Sep 19, 2023)
Trailer:
Developers: NetherRealm Studios, Shiver Entertainment, Saber Interactive, QLOC

Publisher: Warner Bros. Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 86 average - 100% recommended
Metacritic - 85 average based on 5 reviews

Critic Reviews

100 - VGC
SEP 13, 2023
Mortal Kombat 1 is the best Mortal Kombat game to date. It looks stunning, has a brilliant Story mode, its new Invasions mode will keep solo players busy and, above all else, it's an absolute joy to play. Thoroughly essential for die-hards, lapsed fans and newkomers.

100 - Gaming Age
SEP 13, 2023
Overall, Mortal Kombat 1 is a polished, beautiful work of art that is a remarkably innovative entry into the long running franchise. You can feel the love and care that went into recrafting existing characters in a way I never knew I would love.

95 - Press Start Australia
SEP 13, 2023
Mortal Kombat 1 is a joyful reinvention of a series that is continually hitting its stride. A strong and varied roster is bolstered by an ingenious Kameo system that offers up a great degree of player flexibility unlike anything else. While it’s a bit off an odd choice to not have crossplay at launch and the approach to gear is bound to be divisive, Mortal Kombat 1 feels like the most complete Mortal Kombat experience so far. And perhaps even one of the best fighting games I’ve ever played.

90 - COGconnected
SEP 13, 2023
Mortal Kombat 1 refines and improves on its solid foundation to deliver a devastating tag-team blow. The Kameo system opens up new possibilities which allows you to experiment with offensive and defensive maneuvers. In terms of single-player content, the story mode kicks ass and Invasion gives you the incentive to keep playing. With its solid online net code and wonderful tutorial, Mortal Kombat 1 is a flawless victory.

90 - CGMagazine
SEP 13, 2023
Mortal Kombat 1 is an excellent entry point for new comers and returning fans. It outshines every previous Mortal Kombat in almost every way, with intuitive controls and interesting modes. NetherRealm cranks the gore up to 11 and I cant wait to see what else they have in store for us.

90 - VideoGamer
SEP 13, 2023
With gorgeous next-gen visuals, spine-wringing combos, and new Kameo fighters, Mortal Kombat 1 is less a reboot and more an accessible yet fulfilling return to form.

80 - VG247
SEP 13, 2023
Mortal Kombat 1 is a generally positive step in a new direction. I find myself frustrated with Liu Kang's decision to allow live service DNA to creep into his new universe, and I long for some of the features left behind (like the Krypt). Mortal Kombat 1 sets the stage for a new era of MK that you can't help but get pumped up for. NetherRealm, like the characters in its ultraviolent universe, is staring right into the face of a brave new world and locking eyes with the future. Keeping those eyes in its head, though, may remain a challenge.

70 - Screen Rant
SEP 13, 2023
As someone's first Mortal Kombat game, Mortal Kombat 1 is a perfectly adequate but not ideal place to start (that would still be Mortal Kombat 2011). For returning players who just want to see their favorite characters again, or for anyone itching to hear Johnny Cage come up with great jokes like "Reminds me of a terrible B-movie I was in called The Flesh Pits," while walking around a room that looks just like the old MK level The Flesh Pits, this game will be a must-buy. If you were hoping to see The Great Kung Lao of myth, however, or an entirely new cast of characters, Mortal Kombat 1 isn't essential, and brings very few truly new ideas to the table.

I'll keep updating the OP for about an hour more as reviews keep coming in, then again tomorrow morning around 8-9 AM CEST.

Last edited:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS​

Q: What type of game is Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 is the latest title in the acclaimed Mortal Kombat videogame franchise developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios. The game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before, along with a new fighting system, game modes, bone krushing finishing moves, and more.

Q: Who is developing Mortal Kombat 1?
A: All versions of Mortal Kombat 1 are built on NetherRealm Studios technology with oversight by NetherRealm. The NetherRealm team is developing the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of the game.

QLOC is developing the Steam and Epic Games Store versions of the game. Shiver Entertainment and Saber Interactive are developing the Nintendo Switch version of the game.

Q: Who is publishing Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Warner Bros. Games is publishing Mortal Kombat 1.

Q: When does Mortal Kombat 1 release?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 is scheduled for worldwide release on Sept. 19, 2023.

Q: Will Mortal Kombat 1 be available for early access?
A: Players who purchase the Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition or Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will have early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, 2023.

Q: What platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Q: Which PC platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available on PC via Steam and Epic Games Store.

Q: How much does Mortal Kombat 1 cost?
A: The Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

The Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam and Epic Games Store) and will include all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).

The Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only and will include all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).

Q: Which characters will be available in Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will feature reimagined fighters like they’ve never been seen before, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others.

Q: What are Kameo Fighters and how do they work in Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Kameo Fighters are a unique roster of partner characters to assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players. These characters are chosen separately from the main roster of fighters.

Q: What type of modes will Mortal Kombat 1 have?
A: NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with a brand-new cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for the wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters. More details for online and offline modes will be coming soon.

Q: Is an internet connection required to play Mortal Kombat 1?
A: An internet connection is not required to play Mortal Kombat 1, although players will need to be connected to the internet to experience certain modes and features.

Q: Is a PlayStation Plus subscription, Xbox Live Gold membership, or Nintendo Switch Online membership required to play Mortal Kombat 1?
A: A PlayStation Plus subscription, Xbox Live Gold, or Nintendo Switch Online membership will not be required to play Mortal Kombat 1 on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, or Nintendo Switch consoles. However, a PlayStation Plus subscription, Xbox Live Gold membership, or Nintendo Switch Online membership will be required for online multiplayer.

Q: Will Mortal Kombat 1 have rollback netcode?
A: Yes, Mortal Kombat 1 will have rollback netcode to support online gameplay.

OT done by cormack12 cormack12 is here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mortal-kombat-i-ot-its-in-our-blood.1660980/

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS​

Q: What type of game is Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 is the latest title in the acclaimed Mortal Kombat videogame franchise developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios. The game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before, along with a new fighting system, game modes, bone krushing finishing moves, and more.

Q: Who is developing Mortal Kombat 1?
A: All versions of Mortal Kombat 1 are built on NetherRealm Studios technology with oversight by NetherRealm. The NetherRealm team is developing the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of the game.

QLOC is developing the Steam and Epic Games Store versions of the game. Shiver Entertainment and Saber Interactive are developing the Nintendo Switch version of the game.

Q: Who is publishing Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Warner Bros. Games is publishing Mortal Kombat 1.

Q: When does Mortal Kombat 1 release?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 is scheduled for worldwide release on Sept. 19, 2023.

Q: Will Mortal Kombat 1 be available for early access?
A: Players who purchase the Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition or Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will have early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, 2023.

Q: What platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Q: Which PC platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available on PC via Steam and Epic Games Store.

Q: How much does Mortal Kombat 1 cost?
A: The Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

The Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam and Epic Games Store) and will include all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).

The Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only and will include all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).

Q: Which characters will be available in Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will feature reimagined fighters like they’ve never been seen before, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others.

Q: What are Kameo Fighters and how do they work in Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Kameo Fighters are a unique roster of partner characters to assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players. These characters are chosen separately from the main roster of fighters.

Q: What type of modes will Mortal Kombat 1 have?
A: NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with a brand-new cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for the wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters. More details for online and offline modes will be coming soon.

Q: Is an internet connection required to play Mortal Kombat 1?
A: An internet connection is not required to play Mortal Kombat 1, although players will need to be connected to the internet to experience certain modes and features.

Q: Is a PlayStation Plus subscription, Xbox Live Gold membership, or Nintendo Switch Online membership required to play Mortal Kombat 1?
A: A PlayStation Plus subscription, Xbox Live Gold, or Nintendo Switch Online membership will not be required to play Mortal Kombat 1 on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, or Nintendo Switch consoles. However, a PlayStation Plus subscription, Xbox Live Gold membership, or Nintendo Switch Online membership will be required for online multiplayer.

Q: Will Mortal Kombat 1 have rollback netcode?
A: Yes, Mortal Kombat 1 will have rollback netcode to support online gameplay.

I know there will be a proper OT done by cormack12 cormack12 sometime soon, but I'm adding this F.A.Q here as I think it's useful.
It's up dude, may add the fan tomorrow :)

Tiamat2san

Tomorrow !
Can’t wait to try the new story mode .
The kameo system seems to be a great implementation.
Too bad for the JCVD skin though, it looks terrible.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Will buy this for cheap next year to go through the story mode. Something about playing MK11 felt so shitty to me and this looks very similar.

For what it's worth, this is the first MK I'm not buying at launch. For some reason, it just feels like it hasn't been long enough since MK11, and there's just way too many great games out, so I gotta wait on this one. Definitely intend to get it at some point though.
Yeah it's hard to justify buying these games at launch now instead of just holding out for the Komplete Ultimate Skullfucker Edition next year. MK11 has 37 characters and the graphics are pretty much the same.

I'd rather them take the Smash Bros approach. Release the base game at the start of the generation and just keep adding characters and stages. I think Smash is up to 75 characters now

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
For what it's worth, this is the first MK I'm not buying at launch. For some reason, it just feels like it hasn't been long enough since MK11, and there's just way too many great games out, so I gotta wait on this one. Definitely intend to get it at some point though.
I felt that way too. I didn’t buy any additional content for MKXI because it felt like the game was going to peak with all this DLC months before the franchise gets a new release.

XI left a sour taste in my mouth too. I wasn’t exactly super thrilled with the game once the credits rolled. $110 to get the good stuff and $70 for a standard with far less staying power. I was about to ask for this for my bday, but it’s so overpriced for what it doesn’t give you at launch. What’s crap is if you don’t like the next DLC character, you might not want to play for a while, and maybe never again. I’m so tired of modern day fighting games and their DLC.

I haven't been super impressed by what I've seen so I'll wait until black friday or the christmas sales to pick this up. I've gotta work through my backlog anyway.

Pey.

4K Screenshot Gallery and PC Settings for those interested (it has DLSS 2, FSR 2 and more): https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/09/13/...mortal-kombat-1-en-4k-con-detalles-al-maximo/

Mortal-Kombat-1-Screenshot-2023.09.13-03.51.57.04.jpg

Mortal-Kombat-1-Screenshot-2023.09.13-03.53.45.21.jpg

Also, the game has a built-in benchmark. Here are videos for the first 90 minutes of the kampaign mode, the benchmark and all fatalities (except for the one of Havik because I didn't finish the story mode yet). Sadly, Fatal Blows, Fatalities are locked to 30 FPS.

All Fatalities:

Last edited:

Eimran

Saw Parts of the full cutscene video on YT. Looks amazing as expected.

I'm so happy that MK is back what it used to be and we can forget the travesty that was MK in the PS2 era.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw the entire story on youtube (yes its already uploaded). The first two-thirds of the story are genuinely well executed, with the best writing & cutscene direction of the series. But the final third is just fanfiction nonsense. Really fun nonsense with some amazing fanservice, but nonsense nontheless.

Final story verdict: This is to the PS2 games like how MK9 was to UMK3. If that sounds appealling to you, then you will like the story.

CamHostage

No Switch fansites got a review copy, eh? I'd like to see how that port turned out even though it'll surely lose a lot, maybe it'll have a slot or an ad in tomorrow's Direct.

Ozriel

M$FT
Screenrant saying the game brings few new ideas…not sure how that works when there’s the new Kameo system.

Solid reviews all round

justonething

Jada's BFF
The story is bland as fuck no thrills "I fit in I'm just like ur capeshit films" trash. The writing is horrible, and constantly tries to come of as "look at how aware we are" with attempts at humor that just come of as patronizing and lacking in any sort of confidence in what they've built. In the past there was actual lore and a sense of mystery and , here all that is replaced with roster of character's who's backstory is made to be relatable when it doesn't need to be but is made to, just to make the story as steralized as posssible for normies. They also had one foot in and one foot out of the whole "reboot" thing, it's quite embarrasing that they still can't fully commit.
Mortal Kombat used to have this eerie and unsettling feel, characters looked intimidating and environments felt ominous. The aesthetic of MK1 just comes of as generic and falls flat. It's pretty clear even with the outfits they decided to go an Injustice style, with characters looking more like homogenous comic book characters than traditional weird and otherworldly beings. It just all looks super modern in a horrible way and comes off as odd for something like Mortal Kombat, imagine if everyone in Game of Thrones started rocking zoomer hairstyles and superhero outfits or outfits composed of a weird mishmash of traditional and modern pieces. It doesn't look convincing, it looks like bad cosplay.
It seems like they're super embarrased of what Mortal Kombat was and are trying so hard to fit in and reform everything to pander to modern sensitivities and as wide an audience as possible. It was the weirdness, creepiness, mystique and foreigness of everything that made the world of Mortal Kombat so immersiveness and what drew people in. Now it's all been sterilized. Sad to see they went the "trendy" route with everything.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Does the game have an easy combo assist controller mode like SFVI and King of Fighters where you can do special moves easily and auto combos with just one button or holding down a button etc?

I love the series but always give up because I can’t memorize all the complex combos with so many buttons

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does the game have an easy combo assist controller mode like SFVI and King of Fighters where you can do special moves easily and auto combos with just one button or holding down a button etc?

I love the series but always give up because I can’t memorize all the complex combos with so many buttons
I hated how Sub Zero played in XI because it was nothing like he was in XL. I don’t remember that being a thing.

Saw the entire story on youtube (yes its already uploaded). The first two-thirds of the story are genuinely well executed, with the best writing & cutscene direction of the series. But the final third is just fanfiction nonsense. Really fun nonsense with some amazing fanservice, but nonsense nontheless.

Final story verdict: This is to the PS2 games like how MK9 was to UMK3. If that sounds appealling to you, then you will like the story.
Funny how that whole thing works. A week ago it would get taken down. Now that copies are out, you can watch it and save your money.

Hot5pur

Like a way to unlock arcade versions of MK1 - UMK3 in the Arcade Room in Invasions mode to make up for a sorely lackluster 30th anniversary for a franchise that deserved so much more?
Ha indeed, and maybe throw trilogy in there too.

There seems to be debate on whether the day 1 mega patch (80gb) will add a 24th character as was noted by the devs on several occasions (that there were 24 characters, including the preorder shang). They have done similar stuff in the past but also Boon likes to troll people hard so who knows.

I may get into this game if it's as fun as MK9. I hated the watered down variations in X and 11. I also hate guest characters because I would prefer the focus be on MK only. Like why water down your brand. (I know why, $$$ cash in on popular characters)

Last edited:

SolidQ

tibia

Neo Member
The annoucement trailer was incredible. It showed a new world where every character had an oportunity to redefine themselves. I was set on getting this.

Unfortunately, as others have noted, the latter part of the storyline is completely idiotic. "timelines" is mentioned at least 50 times, sometimes 3-5 times in a sentence. You have characters debating timelines, and all I hear is "derp derp timelines".

yes casuals that played MK in the early 90s exist today, who mostly follow it for the story. But glad the game is scoring well for the fighting game fans

Top Bottom