• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 | Review Thread

Davernos

At first they said crossplay "or" cross progression would be available post launch. Now they have removed the question from the FAQ. Absolutely fucking nonsense. Skipping this one until this get shorted (if it does).

Fermbiz

Gold Member
On Steam Deck, turns out, this game cant break 60fps during matches. I tried the lowest of the lowest settings and it can barely past 50 frames 😠😭😭

Hoppa

Played to about chapter 6 of the story, did a bit of invasion mode and grinded some of the tutorials to get some gold for the gacha machine.

Game is very cool, it feels a bit more fantasy than I expected but that might just come down to the environments, the demonic hell stuff will probably come in later. I'm a horrible combo goblin in fighting games so this, to me, feels better than MK11 - a lot of the characters have a ton of disgusting tools like fullscreen tracked teleports or really long strings I can imagine how chaotic it'll get over time. Story mode is awesome apart from Megan Fox's deadpan robotic delivery and Invasion seems like fun. Netherrealm nailed the single player content as usual.

Character models for the human characters aren't the best, Raiden and Kung Lao look pretty similar, same with Sindel and Li Mei. Johnny and Kenshi have the same hair and I've mixed them up a couple times. I don't like the gacha shrine, the animation takes far too long to load and you can't just load up 5000 coins and get 5x artworks you just have to sit there for 10 minutes paying 1000 at a time. The season content seems like an interesting idea - FYI, I found out later you can unlock the season/theme costumes in Invasions mode.

On Steam Deck, turns out, this game cant break 60fps during matches. I tried the lowest of the lowest settings and it can barely past 50 frames 😠😭😭
Thanks for letting me know. Might grab it for pc later down the line but I won’t bother soon if it’s not running on Deck.

Love MK though so definitely looking forward to it.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Thanks for letting me know. Might grab it for pc later down the line but I won’t bother soon if it’s not running on Deck.

Love MK though so definitely looking forward to it.

Its "playable", but i need matches in fighting games to be locked at 60 frames.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Krypt is gone? That shrine is no fun. This game is taking up almost 150GB. Ridicilous.

Last edited:
IGN review seems to finally be up.

image.png

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If NRS somehow doesnt incorporate the OG arcade versions of MK1-UMK3 in this game as an unlockable, it will be the ultimate inexcusable offense.

We got jack shit for MK's 30yr anniversary and they could easily add these games as rewards in the Invasions mode, or just as some big secret within the game itself.

Its like WB and NRS dont give a shit about anything from the early years

I'm seeing LOT'S of complaints on Reddit of this game feeling rushed and lacking features. Shame. Couple notable things are no character intros for most modes, no towers (is this true?), no character specific tutorials, and no ability to pin combos anymore ..

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Got the new job and celebrated by giving Ed boon his highway robbery $110 for ps5 version.

What a fucking amazing game . Visuals alone are worth it to see this in person in a big 4k tv. Holy shit.

Also, I’m laughing at Stryker handcuff assist every single time.

sigmaZ

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
All nice and well until people see a fatality on that character.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s a good game for sure.

I’ve also notice how they took care to make the UI scalable friendly this time. Almost everything is flat graphics now. The towers, the title screen is made up of flat 2d images. Will definitely scale down better that way.

DryvBy

I just grabbed all the basic fatalities if anyone wants to see them. There's more than this and brutalities.

If NRS somehow doesnt incorporate the OG arcade versions of MK1-UMK3 in this game as an unlockable, it will be the ultimate inexcusable offense.
Ever since Gamespot released this video ( ), I cant anywhere get an answer how the hell do they have arcade perfect picture. Below is my MK3 (gog version) and their MK2 select screen. Their MK1-2-3 is so damn crisp and its not just because of the CRT filter. I couldnt find anywhere how the hell they got such a good and high res copy of old MK running...probably on a PC.

Ther superior version:
s2homux.jpg

My shitty versions:
szbDiTO.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned

Switch review. Rough but better than MK11. 60 FPS most of the time, dips to hard 30 when secondary character comes, then back to 60 when they go... adaptive vsync at play.

Holy moly, I genuinely thought that someone was just playing a joke when I saw a screenshot comparison with the supposed Switch version a couple of days ago. But this shit is real? Hilarious.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Loving this so far! Working my way through the story first. Two things so far that stick out:

1. Fatal Blows shouldnt be in story mode. IMO, they take away from the urgency of the fights when you have to sit there and watch them. Not to mention lol that classic Boon AI is in effect where the cpu times it perfect and always hits me with theirs and i always miss

2. Dont care for the Quan Chi actor. He looks like an emaciated starving person. They shouldve used Richard Divizio, he was perfect!

No crossplay in a 2023 fighting game should be illegal these 1v1 games are made so Xbox pc and ps boys can play together yet no crossplay in this one is insanity

Kusarigama

Finish story mode.

Best story mode in a fighting game ever ! That’s how it’s done!
A vast improvement over the previous entries for sure and the last chapter was a pleasant surprise.

They went bonkers in the last chapter. So many cool looking costumes. Just shows how crazy they can go in future invasions seasons.

I also had a blast with the invasions mode. Single round fights and generous cadence of unlocks and seasons currency. But the uninterruptible super Armor moves were very annoying.

Valt7786

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just...why?! If these lunatics already think they are a woman, why arent the female characters enough? Its like having to "identify as a trans woman". Why not just say woman? You dont need to say "im a trans woman". We can already tell.

Top Bottom