• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat (2021) is getting a sequel

Draugoth

Gold Member
FYIQRBsWIAAM3i5

After the most recent Mortal Kombat pic overachieved at box office, New Line is ready to get back in to the arena on a sequel. Sources tell Deadline that Simon McQuoid is set to return as director for the follow-up to the 2021 action-adventure hit.

Mortal Kombat was McQuoid’s feature directorial debut and was released simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max during the pandemic in April 2021.

The feature opened No. 1 at the box office and ranks among the top feature titles ever on HBO Max since the platform launched. While some point to F9 or A Quiet Place Part II as the pics that led crowds back to theaters post-pandemic, Mortal Kombat was one of the early features to take a crack to gauging audiences’ interest in returning to theaters — and the results surprised many, especially since the film premiered day-and-date on HBO Max. Execs were quick to get a sequel in development, and one of the first orders of business was bringing McQuoid back to direct.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I didn't think the first one was very good, but I want to see them step it up for the sequel. I love this world and it's characters.

Saw it on HBO Max the day it became available. Was an ok film with cringe dialogue, but I can't tell if that was deliberate or not. The opening fight sequence and the final fight were the best parts of the film, the rest was forgettable.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

The Subzero and Scorpion stuff was the best part hands down. Everything else was so stupid. Those "magic abilities" I can't even remember what they were called.

Also, Cole? LMAO. Oh boy, metal skin or whatever it was. What a dumb character. Probably would've been a lot better without him. Not even sure why they even bothered with him. At least make someone that's more interesting, lol.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Pls kill the MC from the first one and than we talk

I’m not even remembering his name lol

This. Get rid of Cole, Bring in and focus on Johnny Cage if you have to focus on one of them, get the fights looking awesome and violent, make sure Shao Kahn is suitably menacing

ReBurn

Gold Member
That movie was terrible. I'm glad it was on HBO Max so all I lost was the time I spent watching it.

tibia

Neo Member
Kill off Cole, bring back Christopher Lambert as Raiden. How can a movie with 20+ characters result in 0 charisma? Kano trying to be funny for 30 minutes doesn't count.

MK1994: Raiden/Shang Tsung/Johnny Cage were awesome.
MKA1997: ... funny (but at least felt like MK)
MK2021: ? UFC, Arcana, Goro is a just a hideous monster who doesn't speak, no one can understand what Raiden is saying

This new movie needs to just have a real-definitely-happened-tournament, like Bloodsport. Contestants watching others get killed. No more kidnapping or bribery or career plots, family issues, etc. No one cares, man!

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
The first 7 minutes are genuinely amazing.

Then the rest of the movie is literally something entirely different.

They honestly should've focused on these two as it could've been amazing.

The first 7 minutes act like it's going to be a traditional samurai movie, then goes to derp de derp
also why did dune need to fight so hard for a sequel but every other trash movie gets a sequel if doesn't lose 100 million dollars

1st Fight scene and final fight
scenes minus Cole were the best part of the movie. The filling in the middle was pretty meh.

Last edited:
I also thought the dude they casted for Liu Kang seemed a bit on the smallish side even though he was pretty fit. His acting was sorta quirky though.
Some of the other characters were miscasted as well. Hopefully the sequel will have more of the cool fighting scenes like the opening and ending.

I particularly liked how they brought the Scorpion and Sub Zero moves to the fight without it being too corny

SkylineRKR

Dumb movie. A retread of the 1995 movie, but then with all the fun sucked out of it. Shang tried to sabotage the crew because you know, he was confident in winning the tournament anyway. But he lacked the manliness of CHT. Goro was reduced to a jobber, isn't he like the first fucking casualty?

The 1995 movie was perfect for what it was. It set up a small cast of main characters, how they were lured into the tournament. Then you had awesome locations, which looked like some tropical east asian island and caves/palaces. Most importantly there wasn't some shithead like Cole thrown in. And Reptile even appeared as a fucking secret battle.

Old MK movie might've been aimed at kids, there wasn't any blood iirc, but its so much better than the new one anyway.

Echoing many of the same sentiments here, the first 7 minutes of the movie were good, as were a few of the fight scenes, but fuck that awful juvenile dialog and fuck that audience-insert character Cole.

The entire movie was unnecessary.
Bad guys enters the Raiden temple to destroy the heroes before tournament, so he created a shield.

Raiden had two options;
-Transport the bad guys out of there to Outworld (like he did with Shang in the end)
-Transport the heroes to the void.

Credits roll.

This movie has SO MANY mistakes and bad writing, that i can list TONS of them.

Thank god they changed the writer, that was the issue of this movie, and the lack of fights. Even Annihilation has 100x better and more fights. This movie HAS NO FIGHTS. Beginning and end only, and it's average.

Last edited:

Ansphn

The Subzero and Scorpion stuff was the best part hands down. Everything else was so stupid. Those "magic abilities" I can't even remember what they were called.

Also, Cole? LMAO. Oh boy, metal skin or whatever it was. What a dumb character. Probably would've been a lot better without him. Not even sure why they even bothered with him. At least make someone that's more interesting, lol.
Yeah no point of Cole at all. They should have done it from the perspective of Sonya and it wouldn't miss a beat.

Top Bottom