• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat - First Seven Minutes (2021) | Movieclips Trailers

quickwhips

It was pretty forgettable. Fights were weak. Old one was better. Not having johnny cage in this was a mistake. Fucking kano sucked testicles also.

supernova8

Banned
Yeah this was horrible and a 3/10 for me. Feel sorry anybody paying for this. It's such a weird move from the producers and script writers, also this doesn't feel like a 90 million movie in terms of budget. Feels like a low rent-straight to video thing (I KNOW I KNOW HBO MAX), and all they had to do was just adapt Scorpion's Revenge and add maybe an extra 40-50 minutes of plot to fill out the quickness of that animated feature.

Also holy shit, the guy who was playing Lord Raiden felt like just reading the script out loud. Kung Lau, and Liu Kang the same - just fucking horrible and vapid beyond belief
The fact that Hanzo did not speak or understand Bi-Han was hilarious, and made the end fight also hilarious since technically nobody could understand anybody.
Movie felt empty in terms of environments, where either it was COVID, or the producers being morons and decided to just throw 2/3rds of the movie into a canyon for shits and giggles.
Outworld being just one road, and a giant Sauron tower... uh okay.
Kabal having a generic New York / Italianish accent was glorious - in a bad way.
Sonya Blade and Jax being literal nobodies, and just acting like conspiracy theorists.

Powers being explained as Arcana... you know that shit was either focus tested, or just put there as a plot element to get people to grasp why certain Human warriors had powers, and some did not. WHICH WAS BULL FUCKING SHIT. Just adapt it, you don't need to explain everything all the time.
Interesting I remember the original Mortal Kombat movie was actually pretty good. Maybe there was just a low bar for visual effects at the time.

xrnzaaas

I enjoyed the first one more (although I havnt watched it in years.... It might not have aged well).... but I enjoyed this...
The cheesy scenes are funny, not bad. The movie holds up really well, the perfect casting and the soundtrack make up for a lot.

ManaByte

Watching the 95 movie now. It's 100x better than the piece of shit on HBO right now.

mortal kombat pointing GIF

Mortal Kombat Scorpion GIF

liu kang GIF

manfestival

Saw the movie yesterday with my brother. We think the original's were better. This movie did a few things right and so many more things wrong. I am ok with a new character but not ok with the approach they took. I like how some of the fights went down. Was even ok with some of the ultra cheesy nods to the video game(FATALITY). Kano was a highlight for sure. The movie didn't make sense for fans of the source material or even just the casual viewer.

Side note: I do think they were trying to make it more like MCU and allow for (some)characters to have room for growth. However, only time will tell.
Yo how are you going to have a new character kill Goro right out the gate. Kung Lao was awesome and really did not deserve that fate so early. Also this ultimate defense armor is a load of garbage. Sonya Blade also surviving a boulder landing on her unscathed is also pretty amazing... among many other things.

Last edited:

manfestival

We kinda had a hint of one with Jax vs Reiko. I was hoping he would uppercut him off the bridge but nope...

Speaking of which, what the actual fuck was going on with Reiko's design?
Ezvpy73VEAk7XtS
Duuude going back into the thread and seeing your post. I was literally thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the stage. Talked about a HUGE missed opportunity. RIGHT INTO THE SPIKES

lukilladog

I liked it, maybe because I´m so tired of epic wannabe movies, the b level acting and dialogue give it that style I enjoy from time to time.

Top Bottom