• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Urban in Final Talks to Play Johnny Cage in ‘Mortal Kombat 2’ Movie

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

karl-urban-johnny-cage-936x527.jpg

Karl Urban is in final talks to star as fan-favorite character “Johnny Cage” in the sequel to New Line’s hit 2021 action adventure “Mortal Kombat” based on the blockbuster video-game franchise.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If anybody needed more confirmation but Todd Garner one of the producers retweeted that.

The hell are you talking about. The first MK was the best.

MK fan here, I agree with your opinion. Sure it didn't have copious blood and gore, but it did have a reasonably decent plot, likable characters, a kickass soundtrack, and moments that made theater audiences pop big.

The sequel (Mortal Kombat: Annihilation) is a terrible film, but it's not boring in any way. It can be very fun watching it with a buddy or two. And I'd go as far as to say the soundtrack has even more awesome tracks than the first film did.

bitbydeath

MK fan here, I agree with your opinion. Sure it didn't have copious blood and gore, but it did have a reasonably decent plot, likable characters, a kickass soundtrack, and moments that made theater audiences pop big.

The sequel (Mortal Kombat: Annihilation) is a terrible film, but it's not boring in any way. It can be very fun watching it with a buddy or two. And I'd go as far as to say the soundtrack has even more awesome tracks than the first film did.
Even the second film (Annihilation) is better than that reboot trash fire.

Now announce they’ll have him call Cole a cunt and punch his head off in the opening scene and I’ll be there day one.
My only issue with Cole was his weird power that almost made sense, then it quickly made no sense.

Absorption powers fit him thematically, it would have been fine by itself, and it would have forced him to be smarter in his fights. It was all there.

Then they added random tonfas and a Scorpion summon.

Ben87fr

The only good scenes in the most recent film were the one with sub-zero and scorpion, the rest was shit, why bother ? (Kano wasn't bad at all when i think about it)

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Josh Lawson as Kano in the 2021 movie was a brilliant casting choice that worked out amazingly well. Man, that movie was so hit-and-miss with its casting.

- Kano, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung. All awesome.
- Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Raiden and especially the main character: dreadful. Just awful.

How does that even happen?

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Josh Lawson as Kano in the 2021 movie was a brilliant casting choice that worked out amazingly well. Man, that movie was so hit-and-miss with its casting.

- Kano, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung. All awesome.
- Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Raiden and especially the main character: dreadful. Just awful.

How does that even happen?
I'd add Sonya to the awesome pile. Mileena was a total misfire and a waste of a great character.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
bz7ZGwS.png

Missed opportunity to get the Miz as Johnny Cage... I guess since they killed off the only good thing about MK 2021 , Kano, this how they bring him back.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He is good at being over the top in The Boys.....But I don't know about Johnny Cage. I am sure he could do well, but I look at Johnny as being less bulky than Karl.

Puscifer

I fuckin love Karl Urban but I thought they'd be going with a younger Johnny Cage.

Fine with me either way though I just hope its a better movie lol. Those fights were underwhelming
I finally got around to watching it and couldn't believe how well directed the first 10 minutes were lol

SJRB

Gold Member
I finally got around to watching it and couldn't believe how well directed the first 10 minutes were lol

First 10 minutes felt like a concept for a movie that a couple of talented people put together and created to pitch to a studio and then the studio said "sure, make a whole movie of this but change these 100,000 things" and they were like "well, fuck".

It's so different from the rest of the movie I refuse to believe the entire movie was planned like this.

Ownage

Kano I can see, not Johnny Cage. Just have it time warp and use Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Totally Kano, but will Z-ers and franchise noobs know the legacy that is Kano? Might not.

Urban will do his best. He's a good actor, and respected. Let him get paid.

Long live Baraka.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
1990s MK good? What planet are people on. It was awful. Crap story (I know they didn't have much to go with in the first place) shit acting, awful cinematography, embarrassing special effects, even for the mid 90s and possibly the worst soundtrack ever made.

And yet somehow, MK Annihilation ended up being even worse.

I was disappointed when I first watched it as a 10 year old fan of the games. That's how poor it was.

The latest version is an award winning classic of our times compared to the 90s films.

Shit was it the cage / scorp fight or rep kang fight that was added later? I am confused now lol. Im sure somone knows whats up. Dont want to spread miss info.

Last edited:
The original 90s movie was a nearly perfect adaptation. The only major misfire in that movie was Scorpion's "spear".

I really hope the modern sequel just returns to the simplicity of the original. A violent tournament with cool characters, great sets, awesome choreography and music. I didn't need the backstory of Scorpion's clan, or to follow some nobody discovering his "powers".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Weird choice for Cage. I'm with the pro-kano crowd.

The fact that the sequel to Dredd never got off the ground pains me. Dredd is such a good adaptation of the source material. I always find time to watch it at least once per year.
Yeah watched it the other day in 3D on my Quest 2, it makes me sad every time I watch it knowing that it bombed and a sequel is never coming.

SJRB

Gold Member
Shit was it the cage / scorp fight or rep kang fight that was added later? I am confused now lol. Im sure somone knows whats up. Dont want to spread miss info.

The Cage vs Scorpion fight was super short because of budget cuts. But then the movie was done and the studio thankfully realised the movie didn’t have enough fight scenes so they filmed extended scenes to that fight.

Puscifer

When I was a kid I was convinced this scene was the coolest thing that could ever possibly exist:

Im gonna need them to produce something that gives me that feeling again plz

Goddamn that soundtrack still slaps!

There's really something to be said working with limited technology. You really had to put your imagination in to sell it, nowadays so many fight scenes are outright fakes or look more like dancing.

Top Bottom