• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 3 coming to switch online in Japan Only

JordiENP

in japan, haha.
3mzgCpw.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Any outcry on this is gonna be as dumb as it ever was. There's been a complete English translation for Mother3 for well over a decade. What are people waiting for? Nintendo are never going to bother.

Sojiro

This game will never be officially translated, I have given up on that long ago. Thankfully there is a solid fan translation for it so it is easily playable.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I haven't played it but I've always heard there are some things that might be "questionable" to a U.S. audience and something to do with depiction of trans people
some transphoba shit.

That's complete bullshit as the game came out in 2006 towards the end of the GBA's life and a decade before the nutbars took over society.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Maybe it was Itoi's desire, who knows. Also, his artistic interpretation of the game might not have been done correctly, he used pure hiragana in order to force people to carefully read every dialogue, if you wanted to do something similar for a English/Spanish translation you would have to write everything in uppercase (or lowercase) without spaces nor punctuation marks. Not sure occidentals would have approved that. I got the Japanese version, never played the fan translation but if you just (fan) translate it as any other game you are playing something that wasn't Itoi's artistic idea, you are just playing a game.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
That's complete bullshit as the game came out in 2006 towards the end of the GBA's life and a decade before the nutbars took over society.
Exactly why that wouldn’t fly in a society that the nutbars took over.
You can hear them salivating at the mere thought of the game being announced officially in English, all social media accounts ready to fire the “Yikes, y’all”’s.

Honestly, what other reason would Nintendo have to not localize the game? It’s a feeble reason in the eyes of logical people, but what other alternative makes sense? They have never justified this decision officially, have they? All the acknowledgement people got was that clay stop-motion Reggie frying a fan in that video, so many years ago.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Exactly why that wouldn’t fly in a society that the nutbars took over.
You can hear them salivating at the mere thought of the game being announced officially in English, all social media accounts ready to fire the “Yikes, y’all”’s.

Honestly, what other reason would Nintendo have to not localize the game? It’s a feeble reason in the eyes of logical people, but what other alternative makes sense? They have never justified this decision officially, have they? All the acknowledgement people got was that clay stop-motion Reggie frying a fan in that video, so many years ago.

So Nintendo didn't release a GBA game in the US in 2007 because people in 2017 would be offended over it?

Power Pro

I played through the fan translation after it came out, and I remember thinking it was one of my favorite RPGs ever. This is truly one of the GOATs, but I've also just given up on it coming out outside of Japan. A switch online wouldn't really do much for me anyway. I wouldn't want anything less than a physical copy in some form since I like the game so much.

Reactions: Isa

ManaByte

Gold Member
They didn't want to release it outside of Japan when the game was released because of the trans thing. Be worse now.

That wasn't a level of offense in 2006 though. You're looking at 2006 through the lens of how fucked up things are now. Iron Man released in 2008 with RDJ making a joke about a transvestite and it launched a massive franchise.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So Nintendo didn't release a GBA game in the US in 2007 because people in 2017 would be offended over it?
They didn’t release it at the time because they had moved on to the DS already and they knew an English version would be lucky to sell 100 copies then.

But people in the west have been discovering and praising the game since then. It would make more financial sense to release it now than 15+ years ago. SNES Seiken Densetsu 3 got an official translation almost 25 years after release, would Nintendo go bankrupt localizing Mother 3?

I agree Occam’s razor says they just won’t do it because they don’t think the sales would be worth the effort. Still, it would surely cost less than, say, remaking Metroid 1 and 2, or remastering Prime? Yet those have happened, while Mother 3 is still Japan-only for some reason. The fan translation is one of the most famous unauthorized mods to any Nintendo game, but in spite of its popularity, it’s one Nintendo never cared to nuke from orbit. What could be this game’s dark secret that Nintendo don’t want to air in the west, to the point they’re stubbornly leaving easy money on the table while still taking the time and effort to make fun of vocal fans in an official presentation?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I agree Occam’s razor says they just won’t do it because they don’t think the sales would be worth the effort. Still, it would surely cost less than, say, remaking Metroid 1 and 2, or remastering Prime? Yet those have happened, while Mother 3 is still Japan-only for some reason. The fan translation is one of the most famous unauthorized mods to any Nintendo game, but in spite of its popularity, it’s one Nintendo never cared to nuke from orbit. What could be this game’s dark secret that Nintendo don’t want to air in the west, to the point they’re stubbornly leaving easy money on the table while still taking the time and effort to make fun of vocal fans in an official presentation?

Reggie tried to get it on the Wii before Iwata died.

ReyBrujo

No. They didn’t release it outside of Japan initially because Earthbound was a massive flop at the time.

Localization takes time and money and as mentioned the game was released at the end of the GBA life, it sold "enough" in Japan but with Earthbound having sold poorly they just skipped it. I would be curious, has any game been translated lately for western audiences, games that were not launched back in day but got a re-release recently with a translation? And contrary to the original Mother, there wasn't even a hint of a translation for Mother 3 as it was never considered for release outside Japan when it was developed.

Bridges

They aren’t trans. They are cross dressers. Drag queens.
Ah my mistake, like I said I've never played it but that's what I always heard.

Doesn't surprise me though that this kinda stuff gets conflated. It's definitely not the #1 reason why it didn't get a translation but I could see it being a contributing factor nowadays.

Captain Rainbow never made it to the U.S. probably in large part due to being super niche, but I bet the gender-bending Birdo storyline keeps it from ever getting a real chance here.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Ah my mistake, like I said I've never played it but that's what I always heard.

Doesn't surprise me though that this kinda stuff gets conflated. It's definitely not the #1 reason why it didn't get a translation but I could see it being a contributing factor nowadays.

Captain Rainbow never made it to the U.S. probably in large part due to being super niche, but I bet the gender-bending Birdo storyline keeps it from ever getting a real chance here.
Sadly culture wars and retards have stopped the west from getting a lot of amazing games over the last few years, as well as turn amazing games into mediocre ones through censorship and awful “localization” efforts.

That wasn't a level of offense in 2006 though. You're looking at 2006 through the lens of how fucked up things are now.

It was. That's why it wasn't released outside of Japan.

People have been asking for a localization since the game's release... and the answer is the same as it is now... no.

I haven't played it but I've always heard there are some things that might be "questionable" to a U.S. audience and something to do with depiction of trans people
But if we are already in a time, where there are lesbians fighting zombies and killing a man with a golf club... There may be something that is controversial in Mother.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sad this isn't getting released outside of Japan, but I've given up all hope of it ever being officially available in English.

That being said, the translated ROM has an amazing set of achievements on RetroAchievements, which makes it (in my opinion) the best way to experience the game.

It wasn’t. You don’t seem to have a good memory on the culture of the west in the mid 00s.

I distinctly remember seeing English media coverage of the N64 version of the game before it was rebooted. Title was Earthbound 64. They certainly were intending to release it outside of Japan at one point. Perhaps during the reboot they added the trans part and the US censors took objection to it.

The content that's in Smash is all you are gonna get.

I would like to see Nintendo do another game in the series but I dunno if that will ever happen.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If Nintendo released a faithful translation, the radicals would flip their shit and call them culturally insensitive. If Nintendo removed the reference and released the game in the US, video game forums would flip their shit and bitch about censorship. If Nintendo released the game faithfully with a disclaimer, video game forums would flip their shit and call them cowards for caving to the radicals (this one is new).

Obviously, I am generalizing and exaggerating, but in Nintendo's eyes, we are the problem and not them.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I distinctly remember seeing English media coverage of the N64 version of the game before it was rebooted. Title was Earthbound 64. They certainly were intending to release it outside of Japan at one point. Perhaps during the reboot they added the trans part and the US censors took objection to it.

The content that's in Smash is all you are gonna get.

I would like to see Nintendo do another game in the series but I dunno if that will ever happen.

Again, nothing in the game is “trans” nor did it have anything to do with the game not getting localized in the mid 00s. Stop trying to push false information.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Localization takes time and money and as mentioned the game was released at the end of the GBA life, it sold "enough" in Japan but with Earthbound having sold poorly they just skipped it. I would be curious, has any game been translated lately for western audiences, games that were not launched back in day but got a re-release recently with a translation? And contrary to the original Mother, there wasn't even a hint of a translation for Mother 3 as it was never considered for release outside Japan when it was developed.
the guy who made the fan ome has said the big n can have translation for free.

Top Bottom