• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Re-watched Champions for, I think, the fourth time now. It's kind of a delicious cheeseburger Happy Meal for sentimental old farts.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rewatched Burnt (2015)

I worked in a lot of kitchens in my early days and while this movie is stupidly sensational, it gets a lot right. It's so great, but at the same time, misses the mark.

GeekyDad

Well, I think this makes something like six or seven viewings in just a month or two of Spotlight. Sorry, but this movie is simply a masterpiece. Perfect? No. But almost a document in terms of its storytelling. They offer just enough, and in the right way, drama to keep you glued, but it's always on point, never strays. Never.

Fbh

Mission-_Impossible_%E2%80%93_Dead_Reckoning_Part_One_poster.jpg

Surprisingly bad 5/10.
It all just felt off to me, from the directing to the writing and acting. A lot of it felt over the top in a dumb way, lots of weird overacting, green screen and obvious CGI everywhere, no truly exciting action scene and there was this one car chase were it all just turned into Looney Tunes for 10 minutes. Not like this has ever been a very cerebral franchise but this was getting dangerously close to fast and furious levels of dumb.
Also the big stunt with the bike jump feels like Tom Cruise stroking his ego more than adding anything substantial to the movie. The stunt might have been real but then they add so much CG in the editing room that it ends up looking fake.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
As for Vesper, I was going to give a C Grade but the world was fantastic and original. Had some interesting ideas. My issue was with the feminazi plot. I was like of course, some parts made me roll my eyes.

Feminazi? How so?

They had a great premise and subtle, abstract world-building. I could deal with the father. The first "mutant" was saveable. to establish the brother and his "cult" way of doing things poorly. He and his poedophile role added on were very detrimental, imho.

Save the creator or father! Go to the Citadel. I was eager to see them, especially regaling the frozen lake metgaphor. Alas.

Feminazi? How so?

They had a great premise and subtle, abstract world-building. I could deal with the father. The first "mutant" was saveable. to establish the brother and his "cult" way of doing things poorly. He and his poedophile role added on were very detrimental, imho.

Save the creator or father! Go to the Citadel. I was eager to see them, especially regaling the frozen lake metgaphor. Alas.

I felt the whole creepy uncle was way overdone and in your face like 100 percent of what feminazis tend to do. I was rolling my eyes everytime he showed up

RTTP on this one, despite being critically shit on when released I enjoyed this movie back then and again now. The part where Arnie tells Satan he's a fucking Choir Boy next to him is hilarious.

OIP.Nj8c9_v7i-2B9RwuJIRxAQHaLH

NSFW language below

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Color Out of Space (2019)

I remember watching this back when it came out, but I couldn't really remember anything about it, only that I did like it.

So I gave it a rewatch, and while I still think it's pretty good, I think they missed the mark on developing the cosmic lunacy some of the characters were falling victim to. Needed some tighter scripting and a slightly slower build towards dread. It all just happens too quickly so it loses that Lovecraft vibe.

Color Out of Space (2019)

I remember watching this back when it came out, but I couldn't really remember anything about it, only that I did like it.

So I gave it a rewatch, and while I still think it's pretty good, I think they missed the mark on developing the cosmic lunacy some of the characters were falling victim to. Needed some tighter scripting and a slightly slower build towards dread. It all just happens too quickly so it loses that Lovecraft vibe.

Really love this movie

Nic Cage being Nic Cage always makes stuff better

0J2xJ7O.gif

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I felt the whole creepy uncle was way overdone and in your face like 100 percent of what feminazis tend to do. I was rolling my eyes everytime he showed up

Oh shit that's right. Yeah him and his farm and shit where my biggest complaint. I didn't care for these people. That headshot was satisfying.
That "real" lug though was well designed imho.
The lady one was swoon...

ReBurn

Gold Member
Watched No Time to Die last night. Really enjoyed it, but I think that it's my least favorite Craig Bond film.

Andyliini

Expendables 2

The sequel is everything it's predecessor was, just bloodier, more macho, more over the top and has more memes too. The core team is back, and this time even more quest stars appear around the film to kick some ass. This is a good film, but I think the original film still is a bit better. Thorought the film noticed the image being that of low quality, with lots ot grain and sometimes even extremely low quality material. I thought it could be a bad transfer, as the local distributor's BD quality is often questionable, but this time it looks like it was an artistic decision from the director. Shame, because without the image quality problem, this could have given the original film a run for it's money.

I have one other story the tell about this film. I watched it first in summer of 2012, when it was hot outside. I went to a local theater of a smallish town I lived back then, and there were no air conditioning watsoever in there. The whole theater reeked of sweat and shit. But I guess it kind of worked with this film.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I'm on a Hitchcock spree right now.

Vertigo, Rear window, North by Northwest, Marnie and The birds.

I do admit giggling like a little girl when the birds are pecking at the helpless children's skulls 😆

Just great flicks everyone should see.

Tonight I watched "All about Eve".

What a performance by Bette Davis. Just wow.

Yes I'm stuck in the 50's 😆

Biff

Talk To Me

Really good October horror movie. Kept me interest the entire time. Yes you have to deal with Zoomer social media cringe but it's a very small part of an otherwise well made movie. Excellent acting all around. Highly recommend adding it to your Halloween movie list.

clarky

Gold Member
V/H/S 85.

Was alright, something about fake grainy old vhs footage that makes the cheap effects more real. If you've seen the others in the series then you know what to expect.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
John Wick 4

Wow. I'm still amazed how a film with so much action could be so boring.

One of the main issues I had with the action was that I've seen it before. John Wick going from room to room killing hundreds of NPCs isn't new and this film really didn't offer anything that blew me away.

The Japanese hotel was lazy. I know it's in Japan, but why is everyone in that hotel fighting with katanas and yumi bows? So lazy. It's like having a hotel in London where people only use broadswords and longbows.

Oh, and the bullet proof suit jackets are now just laughable. Every motherfucker has one and it just removes what little tension there was, not to mention it just looks ridiculous.

I could rip into this movie all day, but I'll leave it there.

2/5

John Wick 4

Wow. I'm still amazed how a film with so much action could be so boring.

One of the main issues I had with the action was that I've seen it before. John Wick going from room to room killing hundreds of NPCs isn't new and this film really didn't offer anything that blew me away.

The Japanese hotel was lazy. I know it's in Japan, but why is everyone in that hotel fighting with katanas and yumi bows? So lazy. It's like having a hotel in London where people only use broadswords and longbows.

Oh, and the bullet proof suit jackets are now just laughable. Every motherfucker has one and it just removes what little tension there was, not to mention it just looks ridiculous.

I could rip into this movie all day, but I'll leave it there.

2/5

Personally I thought the movie was good. But the movie was too long they could have trimmed the Action scenes especially in the beginning hour by 30 to 40 mins and it would have been a better movie. I would say the last act with the Roundabout, Fire Shotgun, and Stairs action Scene was the best part of the movie

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Exorcist: Believer

The good: The first half is perfectly enjoyable. There's a slow build up of dread evocative of the original film, and the director of photography manages to capture the look of the original through a modern lens.

The bad: It's completely toothless as a horror film. There's never any real stakes. Circumstances leading to what could have being a solid dilemma at the end is tossed in favor of a cop-out.

There's senseless characters throughout. Such as a Baptist priest (minister?) inexplicably being present, when I am pretty sure they don't even believe in exorcisms (he's also pointless). They include a second possessed girl this time, but she's not a point of view character, and she ends up being completely meaningless to any plot thread. The hero priest that they build up to such a point in that his arrival can cynically be compared to the camera revolving around The Avengers in that old trailer, proceeds to humorously get an express trip to Heaven. Linda Blair makes a cameo as her character from the franchise in what is one of the most useless stunt castings ever. Edit: oh, and exorcism itself is rather boring. Not even as good as the crescendo during Emily Rose.

2/5

Last edited:

Andyliini

The Expendables 3

This is where they began going downhill. The billed cast got so big that there is simply not enough time for everyone to shine, and since they probably had pressure to make the action bigger and better, it also took it's toll on the film. It begins with a fine enought action scene, but then has to move the old cast aside to introduce a new one, just to bring everyone back at the end. The final battle is also boring and repetitive to watch, and should have been way shorter.

GeekyDad

Watched American Sniper

sddefault.jpg

Great acting, very believable character by the lead, pretty believable situations, except for perhaps how pretty and well-groomed the lead villains (the two main guys they were hunting throughout the story) were.

Found the movie to be completely offensive and disgusting, and I'm disappointed that Eastwood presented this to audiences. I was holding out a shred of hope he wasn't transparently accepting of such a character, but seems to not be so. The very end, and subtly throughout the movie, though the movie acknowledges the side effects of his experiences, it seems, to me at least, recognize him as a hero. Personally, I see him as an ultra-violent tool used by invisible powers that only see and care about numbers.

A salute to a mass murderer that I hope in the future is seen for the story that it is.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

New expandables, terrible movie. 3/10
New mission impossible 7/10, enjoyable nothing special, had some good scenes in it.
57 seconds, fun movie solid cast nothing special. 7/10

Last edited:
The Fog 1980

Movie is solido. Carpenter rarely misses. Was not expecting the fog to be what it was. Liked seeing the VW thing. Being a late nigh radio host in that studio would be sick. Really liked the characters. The investagion bits with Jaime Lee Curtis and the dude were good.

I feel like a lot of people today are imitating what Carpenter did authentically. He’s the man

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Agreed. shite

Was it you that was going to watch The Thing? if so how did you get on?

I really liked it and the people I watched it with did too. Didn't know much about it going in, other than the fact it's held in high regard, so the monster designs blew me away.

Doesn't quite reach Silence of the Lambs tier for me but it was a great watch. Can't remember if you recommended it or not. If you did, high five!

clarky

Gold Member
I really liked it and the people I watched it with did too. Didn't know much about it going in, other than the fact it's held in high regard, so the monster designs blew me away.

Doesn't quite reach Silence of the Lambs tier for me but it was a great watch. Can't remember if you recommended it or not. If you did, high five!
High five then ! Glad you enjoyed it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched "I'll be home for Christmas" the other day.

Innocent 90s flick. Remember liked this a lot when I was a teen. Biel was very cute back then.
Seeing it today as grownup give a completely different vibe.

What I do wonder is if it's because of my age or because of all the stuff I've seen on the internet made me numb for this...

Andyliini

Escape Plan

I remember this being advertised as a first collaboration between Stallone and Schwarzenegger, altough Expendibles films came first. This one is quite different from those, more like thriller than a pure action film. Directed by Mikael Håfström, the film still works, even if you have seen it before. Direction is a bit here and there, though. Sometimes there are good ideas, but sometimes editing is very confusing, and not clear what is happening. Still, a fine film.

violence

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014

Oh God… this is definitely a version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Michelangelo is supposed to be the fun guy but he’s fucking cringe in this movie. I did like the Megan Fox casting, but I was kind of just weirded out by this whole movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom