• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Enjoyed this quite a bit, it's much more of a mystery movie for the first two acts, and even in the final act it doesn't go full blown ghost crazy like ghost busters 2.
The third act does feel a bit odd, the pacing is a bit all over the place because of comedy relief, and giving the old heads their moments.
The big bad looked pretty cool, reminded me of lilith from diablo 4

GeekyDad

Watched Bull Durham. Think it's been over 30 years since I last watched it. Such a bad movie, but I thought it was god-like when I was young. Still, I couldn't stop watching it. Guess there are moments that are just special, no matter how silly and ridiculously romantic it tried to be.

The First Omen

Very slow burn this movie, don't think it really stands up as a stand alone, but it's cool from a lore perspective for the franchise, so basically don't watch this if you haven't seen the other movies or aren't planning to.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just watched Star Trek VI for the first time in about a decade. The movie still holds up incredibly well. A good send-off for the TOS cast.

I just watched Star Trek VI for the first time in about a decade. The movie still holds up incredibly well. A good send-off for the TOS cast.

I tried with Star Trek but I can't find anything I like so far

I only watched the first two Star Treks films and the J J Abrams Trilogy

I'm planning on watching the shows

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I tried with Star Trek but I can't find anything I like so far

I only watched the first two Star Treks films and the J J Abrams Trilogy

I'm planning on watching the shows
I grew up on the old Star Trek and watched most of the movies.

I recently started casually watching The Next Generation show & it's really good.
I didn't know Gene Roddenberry was involved 🙂

That belongs in the TV thread sorry 😆

GeekyDad

Same here!
I immediately thought of this scene 😁

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Yeah, at least it wears its silliness on its sleeve. I honestly think I love it most for that one scene where they all meet up on the pitcher's mound to try and work out everyone's current problems. So ridiculous. Guess it kinda helps make you feel like a kid again.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Enjoyed this quite a bit, it's much more of a mystery movie for the first two acts, and even in the final act it doesn't go full blown ghost crazy like ghost busters 2.
The third act does feel a bit odd, the pacing is a bit all over the place because of comedy relief, and giving the old heads their moments.
The big bad looked pretty cool, reminded me of lilith from diablo 4

I feel like they were able to get back to the comedy roots of the franchise. The previous movie was kind of bogged down with dealing with the sad death of Ramis. In the grand scheme of things the guy sadly went young.

bitbydeath

I recently watched Oppenheimer and the Children of the Corn reboot. Both vastly different, IMDB scores them as 8.3 vs 3.7 yet both are equally enjoyable IMO.

Oppenheimer was great, a bit boring in places as to be expected from a 3hr movie but I feel I came away having learned something, and maybe that’s the point of it.

While Children of the Corn was much better paced, and unexpectedly filled with a lot of tense moments, it was let down by the ending which was clearly rushed, and simply outright rubbish/whimsical. (Maybe they just wanted to keep it true to a typical Stephen King ending)

Mr Hyde

Road House 2024

Not really my type of film. Not sure why I even bothered with it as watching jacked dudes beat the living piss out of each other for two hours gets really stale, really quick. Razor thin plot with no likable characters at all, and a love story that was tacked on and went nowhere. Even the hero, Dalton, felt really bland. And the villain Knox was a real cornball, way to over the top and caricature to be even remotely intimidating. For a movie that prides itself in gruesome violence and gratuitous fights, the brawling wasn't even that impressive. I guess the direction was to make you feel like you were in the fights, with PoV action and the camera swirling around impossible angles, but it only took me out of the action. It felt unrealistic and ridiculous most of the time.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Completely unnecessary sequel. It tries to be the original, but much smaller budget shows. It lasts only 1 hour and 35 minutes, but all the scenes drag, and could have been done in much shorter time. Actually, just watch the theatrical trailer, it has everything you need. Åat least they end the film in a surprising way.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

quite surprised as i was expecting it to be pretty average. It's actually pretty decent.

Robot Dreams

<3 absolutely beautiful <3

Renfield and Road House (2024).

Putting them together because they were both big dumb fun crowd-pleasers with lines that made me laugh out loud.

I thought Renfield had a surprising amount of heart, too, and hope it helped some people who saw it navigate their toxic relationships. Awkwafina was funny to me, but apparently she plays that same character in everything? I could see that style getting old, but as a one-off it worked.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Completely unnecessary sequel. It tries to be the original, but much smaller budget shows. It lasts only 1 hour and 35 minutes, but all the scenes drag, and could have been done in much shorter time. Actually, just watch the theatrical trailer, it has everything you need. Åat least they end the film in a surprising way.
I liked it a lot. It had better pacing and a more interesting story to tell that reminded me of the future in The Time Machine. Only thing that makes the original better is the plot twist putting everything into perspective. Outside of that, the first film is quite a drag.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
underrated movie

the-night-flier.jpg

Immaculate

This and the first omen have a lot of similarities, but I'm gonna say this one is a bit better because it stands up just fine by itself, whereas the first omen really isn't that good without the other movies.
The movie goes a bit "of the rails" halfway through the second act, this is where it kinda diverges from the first omen and becomes something else. I was hoping the third act would have a twist to it since there was a bit of foreshadowing of something in an earlier scene, but it was just a bit of misdirection.
Man this sweeney girl is a supremely mediocre actress though, her looking like she's high all the time doesn't help; she's now 3 for 3 for movies I've seen her in and being completely unremarkble. I was more invested in the girl in the short prologue in the start, and she's in it for all of 5 minutes.

All in all it was alright, enjoyed it more than the first omen.
I thought Renfield had a surprising amount of heart, too, and hope it helped some people who saw it navigate their toxic relationships. Awkwafina was funny to me, but apparently she plays that same character in everything? I could see that style getting old, but as a one-off it worked.
Renfield was great, but yeah akwardfina is one of those token nepo actors that came from a different field, so they just play the same character over and over; like that fortune feimster woman.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Ready or not.

Liked it a lot. Interesting premise, moody, some nice gore, extremely funny in places. It knows exactly what it is. Doesn't waste a second. Just great fun entertainment.

And Samara weaving is muaaaaaah. I always found her hot since the time I watched The Babysitter, but now she is bringing A game in her acting also. Love her.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Although the previous film ended in a way where sequels wouldn't make sense, they made one anyway. I guess it wasn't that different in the movie business back then...
I guess it makes sense, since these films made a lot of money for debt-laden 20th Century Fox. It's clear on this one as well, the budget was slashed yet again, so instead of creating an alien world of Apes, they are instead brought back to present day. The film begins in more lighter tone, but becomes darker as it goes on. It's an enjoyable film, with a new look into Apes-saga, while still giving a commentary on how human race is and where we are going.

Mr Hyde

Terrifier 2

I think the Terrifier movies are vastly overrated. They feature nice gore effects but not much else. There is no plot, no interesting characters, nothing. Just gratuitous violence for the sake of it. Even the gory kills become tiresome after a while because it mostly consists of bashing the victims heads in the most gruesome way. The only redeeming quality of Terrifier 2 is Sienna. She carried the film all by herself and made a good heroine despite not having much to work with.

AJUMP23

Vaincre ou Mourir - (2022) French w/ subtitles​

The film is about the era of The French Revolution known as the Wars in Vendée, following the royalist insurgency leader and nobleman François Athanase Charette de La Contrie, most often simply referred to as "Charette".
In the rural area of Vendée, the populations initially welcomed the changes of the Revolution between 1789 and 1792. By 1793 however, the execution of King Louis XVI, the War of the First Coalition and the Civil Constitution of the Clergy have changed everything, with people starting to resist the draft in the Republic's armies. A royalist and Catholic insurgency, the "Catholic and Royal Army", soon emerges. François Athanase Charette de La Contrie (played by Hugo Becker), a French navy commander who's distinguished himself fighting in The American Revolution, is asked by said insurgency to lead them against the armies of the Republic, and he takes the mantle, unflinchingly dedicating his life to the royalist cause from that point on. The Republic's Convention responds by sending its "Infernal Columns", which commit numerous atrocities on the local populations to crush the insurgency. Charette soon has to use guerilla tactics against them.

I had never heard of this story and I think there is some controversy around the film apparently as being right wing.

you can watch it here: on some website I never heard of:

If you are French fill me in.

I just finished watching Band of Brothers

Which was excellent

I was wondering if anyone has any good War Movie recommendations like?

For reference I loved these movies

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Come And See
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Lincoln
The Boy In The Striped Pajamas
All Quiet On The Western Front (Netflix Remake)
Three Kings
Inglorious Bastards
Dunkirk
Jarhead
The Covenant
The Hurt Locker
Empire of The Sun
Allied
Darkest Hour
Casablanca
Braveheart
Jojo Rabbit
Kingdom of Heaven
Fury

This year on the War Front gonna watch

Platoon
Das Boot
Da 5 Bloods

mansoor1980

Gold Member

Which was excellent

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Come And See
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Lincoln
Three Kings
Inglorious Bastards
Dunkirk
Jarhead
The Covenant
The Hurt Locker
Empire of The Sun
Allied
Darkest Hour
Casablanca
Braveheart
Jojo Rabbit
Kingdom of Heaven
Fury

Platoon
Das Boot
Da 5 Bloods
e58334d534accc0c940bc6e61197a0ca51db874160ef4c92c7825c741c0e55fe.jpg

Which was excellent

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Come And See
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Lincoln
Three Kings
Inglorious Bastards
Dunkirk
Jarhead
The Covenant
The Hurt Locker
Empire of The Sun
Allied
Darkest Hour
Casablanca
Braveheart
Jojo Rabbit
Kingdom of Heaven
Fury

Platoon
Das Boot
Da 5 Bloods

Some of these are too big to have missed so you've probably seen a bunch of them:

Full Metal Jacket
The Thin Red Line
The Kill Team
The King
Crimson Tide

Buggy Loop

Watched this recently

(don't watch the other super spoilerish trailer)

From Cronenberg's son

He's as fucked up as his father.

Very interesting concept, makes for a good sci-fi psychological thriller. It's a digital nightmare. I was left with some questions in the end with that twist.
Very gory (uncut version). Sean Bean is in and does what Sean Bean does best.

This is again a slow burner type of movie that Canadians kind of go for, well good thrillers in general.

Crying Rivers

Neo Member

Which was excellent

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Come And See
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Lincoln
Three Kings
Inglorious Bastards
Dunkirk
Jarhead
The Covenant
The Hurt Locker
Empire of The Sun
Allied
Darkest Hour
Casablanca
Braveheart
Jojo Rabbit
Kingdom of Heaven
Fury

Platoon
Das Boot
Da 5 Bloods
The Forgotten Battle and The Bombardment on Netflix are both very solid World War 2 movies:

p20205832_p_v10_ad.jpg
ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2YxOGRlNWU3LWM4OWItNDM1NC04NDU3LTY5MmRiY2MxODQxOS5qcGc=

I'd also recommend The Siege of Jadotville, also on Netflix:

p13274876_v_v13_af.jpg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Which was excellent

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (true classic, winner of 7 Oscars)
Paths of Glory (1957) (about the madness of WW1 trench warfare)
The Cranes Are Flying (1957) (WW2 from a Soviet Russian perspective, you can watch this movie just for the cinematography)
The Pianist (2002) (harrowing holocaust drama)
Downfall (2004) (about Hitler's last days)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Ascent (1977) (another WW2 drama from the USSR, beautiful arthouse movie but don't watch this if you hated The Thin Red Line)
To Be or Not to Be (1942) (this is a classic comedy set in Poland during WW)
The Great Dictator (1940) (Charlie Chaplin vs Hitler. Impressive anti war speech at the end)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (animated movie by Ghibli Studio)

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin

Which was excellent

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Come And See
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Lincoln
Three Kings
Inglorious Bastards
Dunkirk
Jarhead
The Covenant
The Hurt Locker
Empire of The Sun
Allied
Darkest Hour
Casablanca
Braveheart
Jojo Rabbit
Kingdom of Heaven
Fury

Platoon
Das Boot
Da 5 Bloods
Some of my suggestions off the top of my head:

-Stalingrad. The 1993 one not 2013.
-They Shall Not Grow Old.
-Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers.
-Where Eagles Dare.
-Tropic Thunder (Why not? 😆)
-Overlord
-Casualties of War (Might have not aged well, haven't seen it in a long time).
-Dr. Strangelove
-Hamburger Hill
-We Were Soldiers
-Sisu
-Windtalkers
-Heartbreak Ridge
-Valkyrie
-Downfall
-U-571
-The Outpost

Last edited:
The Forgotten Battle and The Bombardment on Netflix are both very solid World War 2 movies:

p20205832_p_v10_ad.jpg
ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2YxOGRlNWU3LWM4OWItNDM1NC04NDU3LTY5MmRiY2MxODQxOS5qcGc=

I'd also recommend The Siege of Jadotville, also on Netflix:

p13274876_v_v13_af.jpg
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (true classic, winner of 7 Oscars)
Paths of Glory (1957) (about the madness of WW1 trench warfare)
The Cranes Are Flying (1957) (WW2 from a Soviet Russian perspective, you can watch this movie just for the cinematography)
The Pianist (2002) (harrowing holocaust drama)
Downfall (2004) (about Hitler's last days)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Ascent (1977) (another WW2 drama from the USSR, beautiful arthouse movie but don't watch this if you hated The Thin Red Line)
To Be or Not to Be (1942) (this is a classic comedy set in Poland during WW)
The Great Dictator (1940) (Charlie Chaplin vs Hitler. Impressive anti war speech at the end)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (animated movie by Ghibli Studio)
Some of my suggestions off the top of my head:

-Stalingrad. The 1993 one not 2013.
-They Shall Not Grow Old.
-Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers.
-Where Eagles Dare.
-Tropic Thunder (Why not? 😆)
-Overlord
-Casualties of War (Might have not aged well, haven't seen it in a long time).
-Dr. Strangelove
-Hamburger Hill
-We Were Soldiers
-Sisu
-Windtalkers
-Heartbreak Ridge
-Valkyrie
-Downfall
-U-571
-The Outpost

Thanks guys

I'll check out all those Reccomandations

Also

The Pianist: C
Grave of the Fireflies: C
Letters from Iwo Jima: C
Tropic Thunder: A
Overlord: A
Valkyrie: C

Last edited:

Andyliini

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

The names of these films ain't getting any shorter. Thankfully, I still have fun watching them, and this one especially takes a turn for more darker and violent take on a franchise that, for the most part, has been very kid friendly. I was actually quite surprised how far they went with this. I watched the original cut, called extended edition on the disc. I think it's actually shorter than the theatrical cut. It's a bit surprising the studio even allowed the script to go to production as it was, only to get cold feet just before the release date. Some things never change.

flying_sq

The Boys in the Boat and Quasi. Boys in the Boat was pretty good, it felt more documentary than movie, but very well put together film, nailed the time period.

Quasi is a broken lizard film and a comedy kind of sort of not really based on The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Was fun to watch a movie with no CG, except maybe some torches weirdly in one scene. Would definitely recommend with a few beers.

Tonight I'm probably going to watch American Fiction or The Man from UNCLE

Last edited:

flying_sq

Which was excellent

Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Come And See
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Lincoln
Three Kings
Inglorious Bastards
Dunkirk
Jarhead
The Covenant
The Hurt Locker
Empire of The Sun
Allied
Darkest Hour
Casablanca
Braveheart
Jojo Rabbit
Kingdom of Heaven
Fury

Platoon
Das Boot
Da 5 Bloods
Would recommend checking out The Pacific as well.
13 Hours: The Secret Soldier's of Benghazi
Air America
We Were Soldiers
The Land of Bad
Flyboys
Fury
Greyhound
The Patriot
Tears of the Sun
Into the White
Wind Talkers

Last edited: