• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Andyliini

Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro

They ran this old Hayao Miyazaki film at my local theater, so why not. Miyazaki's films are often made for children, this one even more so. There's all sorts of running and shenanigans that it gets a bit tiring after a while. There are also characters that just seem to be there without any reason at all. It was fine for this single viewing, but I have no desire to watch ot again.

mortal

Gold Member
3b63d9efc033405c8ef046a26da9e60fcd89d0cb4f3801d8134f53f633a7693b.jpg

Emily the Criminal (2022)​

I enjoyed this one. I never really cared for Aubrey Plaza, but it was interesting to see her play a terrible person with relatable problems.
More of a one-and-done, but a good watch nevertheless.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Battle for the Planet of the Apes

The final film in the original series. Although the constant budget cuts were visible on previous films, they are the best experienced here. The whole film feels cheap, even if the crew did the best with what they had. The film is short enough for a casual watch and can work if you turn of your brain and take everything as it's given. It probably didn't help at all that I watched all of these back to back. And there's more to come.

AJUMP23

Girls State!

I liked the documentary, there are some genuinely interesting kids in there. I am glad they are interested in the future of the country.

Andyliini

Planet of the Apes (2001)

More than 30 years after the first film, Fox released this reboot of the franchise. It's still not very close to the original novel by Pierre Boulle, but makes some interesting choices and is clearly it's own thing. Of course, ape makeup has evolved massively since Battle, but they are still mostly practical, while Rise went on with full CGI apes. Tim Burton might have been a strange choice for directing this, and I'm glad he does not go full Burton-mode in this, and deliver's a thoroughly enjoyable film. I still have the commentary track to watch, but I'll get to it soon.

clarky

Gold Member
Planet of the Apes (2001)

More than 30 years after the first film, Fox released this reboot of the franchise. It's still not very close to the original novel by Pierre Boulle, but makes some interesting choices and is clearly it's own thing. Of course, ape makeup has evolved massively since Battle, but they are still mostly practical, while Rise went on with full CGI apes. Tim Burton might have been a strange choice for directing this, and I'm glad he does not go full Burton-mode in this, and deliver's a thoroughly enjoyable film. I still have the commentary track to watch, but I'll get to it soon.
Interesting.

I hated that film, wtf was with that "twist"?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
"Immaculate" (2024).

Like a dumb sucker I fell for the Youtube thumbnails claiming "OMG SHOCKING ENDING!!"

Wait for streaming.
Just average.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Watching The Five Heartbeats on Max right now with one of my sisters...

If you want something that plays like a biopic but about a fictional singing group that's BASED on groups like The Four Tops and The Temptations with original songs and AMAZING singing (not a musical, btw), then this movie is for you. Directed, produced and starring Robert Townsend... This is a dramatic faux biopic that will tug at your heart and make you smile and cheer! Yes it's sentimental but it'll make you feel good(at least in the first half) and make you feel cathartic (mostly in the second half).

It follows them through the decades from their beginnings to old age ... It's beautifully made!

I jumped up cheering for them when they did their big tryout after the Jidenna looking lead singer doing his best James Brown impression... I felt so much JOY at the amazing song and singing!

It's on Max right now.

p7Bvz0y.jpeg

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Watching The Five Heartbeats on Max right now with one of my sisters...

If you want something that plays like a biopic but about a fictional singing group that's BASED on groups like The Four Tops and The Temptations with original songs and AMAZING singing (not a musical, btw), then this movie is for you. Directed, produced and starring Robert Townsend... This is a dramatic faux biopic that will tug at your heart and make you smile and cheer! Yes it's sentimental but it'll make you feel good(at least in the first half) and make you feel cathartic (mostly in the second half).

It follows them through the decades from their beginnings to old age ... It's beautifully made!

I jumped up cheering for them when they did their big tryout after the Jidenna looking lead singer doing his best James Brown impression... I felt so much JOY at the amazing song and singing!

It's on Max right now.

p7Bvz0y.jpeg
I just finished watching it. I enjoyed it.

NahaNago

Watched the Abigail movie and The ministry of ungentlemanly warfare. Abigail was a forgettable movie. It would have been perfect for Netflix. Wish the movie had a bit more mystery for the victims in trying to figure out whats going on. Also would have like more interaction between the vampire girl and the female lead.

The ungentlemanly movie was fun but it didn't have a strong enemy and was just the heroes mowing through everybody. They tried to have a sense of urgency but that was weakly done in the movie. I think if it was a completely fictional story then them going more over the top would have been awesome whether it be with the music , enemies, or visual shots.

I mostly enjoyed both movies but definitely the warfare movie more since I liked some of the action. Abigail played it a little too safe.

Late Night with the Devil

A unique premise executed well! Good to see David Dastmalchian play a non-creeper character (for the most part). He was convincing as a talk show host and as a character.

I thought it was good-not-great--not trying to knock it by any means. If the premise sounds interesting, it's definitely worth watching. Some spoiler thoughts:

I wish the build-up to the irrefutably supernatural had been longer to keep some mystery. Christou spouting black sludge at the end of his act was too soon, imo. Then again, the title is "Late Night with the Devil", so I'm guessing the filmmakers thought audiences might roll their eyes at the "is it real, is it not?" angle.

I really liked the bit where Carmichael (the skeptic guy) effectively hypnotizes everyone to experience Gus' worm infestation. That was a cool, unexpected subversion and an interesting departure from the satanic stuff.

The split-head design of the devil at the end was cool, too. Hadn't seen that before.

Poor June, Gus, Lilly, Minnie, and Jack. Carmichael got what he deserved.

Plot-wise, am I right in that Dastmalchian's character Jack made a deal with the devil in The Grove, knowing that he would have to sacrifice something to achieve ratings success and not realizing until the end of the movie that that's what gave his wife cancer? And the devil was just rubbing it in at the end, and playing mind-games to where Jack inadvertently killed the girl?

Alright, just watched this. Dastmalchian's the man:

Last edited:
Everything Everywhere All at Once - biggest piece of shit I've seen in recent years... Not funny at all, not surprising Reddit crowd loved it so much "wow so random and quirky, wow sex toys!11, wow hot dog hands hahaha, MULTIVERSE GUYS, REMEMBER MULTIVERSE!!?? JUST LIKE IN ANY OTHER CAPESHIT MOVIE #451541" couldnt get through 40 min of this retarded crap.

On the other hand, Perfect Days is such a fantastic slow movie. I was in japan last year and I could "feel" so much of those streets, parks through this movie. Loved how it didn't cross a line with romantising being content with being alone. This is cinema - Martin Scorsese, 2024.

Jsisto

Everything Everywhere All at Once - biggest piece of shit I've seen in recent years... Not funny at all, not surprising Reddit crowd loved it so much "wow so random and quirky, wow sex toys!11, wow hot dog hands hahaha, MULTIVERSE GUYS, REMEMBER MULTIVERSE!!?? JUST LIKE IN ANY OTHER CAPESHIT MOVIE #451541" couldnt get through 40 min of this retarded crap.

On the other hand, Perfect Days is such a fantastic slow movie. I was in japan last year and I could "feel" so much of those streets, parks through this movie. Loved how it didn't cross a line with romantising being content with being alone. This is cinema - Martin Scorsese, 2024.
Thank you for summarizing exactly how I feel about Everything Everywhere All At Once. One of the most overhyped movies I’ve ever seen. Hated it. It was like if Scott Pilgrim vs The World pretended it was philosophical and deep.

clarky

Gold Member
Late Night with the Devil

A unique premise executed well! Good to see David Dastmalchian play a non-creeper character (for the most part). He was convincing as a talk show host and as a character.

I thought it was good-not-great--not trying to knock it by any means. If the premise sounds interesting, it's definitely worth watching. Some spoiler thoughts:

I wish the build-up to the irrefutably supernatural had been longer to keep some mystery. Christou spouting black sludge at the end of his act was too soon, imo. Then again, the title is "Late Night with the Devil", so I'm guessing the filmmakers thought audiences might roll their eyes at the "is it real, is it not?" angle.

I really liked the bit where Carmichael (the skeptic guy) effectively hypnotizes everyone to experience Gus' worm infestation. That was a cool, unexpected subversion and an interesting departure from the satanic stuff.

The split-head design of the devil at the end was cool, too. Hadn't seen that before.

Poor June, Gus, Lilly, Minnie, and Jack. Carmichael got what he deserved.

Plot-wise, am I right in that Dastmalchian's character Jack made a deal with the devil in The Grove, knowing that he would have to sacrifice something to achieve ratings success and not realizing until the end of the movie that that's what gave his wife cancer? And the devil was just rubbing it in at the end, and playing mind-games to where Jack inadvertently killed the girl?

Alright, just watched this. Dastmalchian's the man:

Just watched this last night myself, really entertaining.

I know a few in the thread are looking forward to it and it did not disappoint. They really nailed the 70's tv show feel.

Regarding your spoiler, yes thats exactly what me and the wife made of it as well.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thank you for summarizing exactly how I feel about Everything Everywhere All At Once. One of the most overhyped movies I’ve ever seen. Hated it. It was like if Scott Pilgrim vs The World pretended it was philosophical and deep.
Yo man, this movie got not one, not two but THREE Oscars for acting. Have you no taste?

clarky

Gold Member
IPxZpyu.gif

★★★★☆ / He legit speedran the first four missions of the game in less than eight minutes
Great movie, fantastic game. Amazing what Rare achieved on that hardware.

Shame that was Brosnans only decent Bond movie, although it remains top tier Bond, so there's that.

"Immaculate" (2024).

Like a dumb sucker I fell for the Youtube thumbnails claiming "OMG SHOCKING ENDING!!"

Wait for streaming.
Just average.

Just watched this as well. My first Sydney movie and while I've seen her hot bod in clips, I gotta admit, she has some nice boobs and a very unique cute face. Movie was ok I guess, a bit of a waste of time but eh, not really bad.

I can understand why.

Not sure how old you are but personally for me, they both hark back to my childhood idea of bond, Skyfall especially. Like Goldeneye, Goldfinger, Dr. no and the rest, classic Bond.

Yeah I grew out of the Bond Genre

The only one I still love is Goldeneye

That genre isn't really my thing. There's only a few movies in that genre that I love

I'm turning 40 next month. God I'm getting old. I have another 10 years till I'm 50 lol

clarky

Gold Member
Trollhunter (2011).

A real gem in the fake doc genre.

I swear you could show this to a kid with down syndrome for entertainment 😄
Yeah, wow. You need to stop whatever you do for a living and start writing taglines. Perfection.

"I swear you could show this to a kid with down syndrome for entertainment" 😄

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah I grew out of the Bond Genre

The only one I still love is Goldeneye

That genre isn't really my thing. There's only a few movies in that genre that I love

I'm turning 40 next month. God I'm getting old. I have another 10 years till I'm 50 lol
Totally off topic but did you watch 007: Road To A Million on Amazon? Not my thing at all until we figured it out, very clever.

Edit: enjoy 40-50, it goes really really fast.

Last edited:
Totally off topic but did you watch 007: Road To A Million on Amazon? Not my thing at all until we figured it out, very clever.

Looked at it and it's a Reality TV Show. No Thanks :p

BTW The Bourne Trilogy, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Kingmen I consider to be some of the best in the Bond Genre (Spy Action Thriller)

clarky

Gold Member
Looked at it and it's a Reality TV Show. No Thanks :p

BTW The Bourne Trilogy, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Kingmen I consider to be some of the best in the Bond Genre (Spy Action Thriller)
Ha funny you say that, theres some people who still think that show was real, my Mrs included. Had me until the latter part of the series until i figured out it was a piss take of reality shows, but i guess thats a spoiler. Unless you clock it early on.

Bourne and TTSS yeah, top tier spy stuff. Bourne especially influenced Bond, post Goldeneye for sure.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I've been to cinema to watch Civil War, newest Alex Garland movie. I've been looking forward to it because Alex is one of my fav directors and he made Annihilation - a movie which I think is my favourite from last 10 years.

I think it was great. I didn't expect full blown out war movie at all (was more of a road trip) but still it's very striking. The fucking gunshots were so loud people were jumping in seats... Some great scenes (for example with snipers "they're trying to kill us, we'rr trying to kill them"). I'm so glad movie doesnt give a hint who is who, who is "bad" and "good", which side are the audience supposed to cheer to - because imo it's missing a point. It's visceral showing of the horrors when people fight with their neightbors over who knows what?

Not full ending sentence but "the" scene left me feeling it needed something more to it but still...

8/10

Andyliini

Civil War

I rarely watch war movies, and this one would probably have gone by had I not caught a trailer at movies earlier this year. Glad I did, because this was entertaining, well writter and exciting film. I loved how varied the director's visual eye was, especially with the more relaxing scenes. Hopefully the local distributor will release a Blu-Ray with extra material, as I would love to see more behind the scenes from this one.

Civil War

I rarely watch war movies, and this one would probably have gone by had I not caught a trailer at movies earlier this year. Glad I did, because this was entertaining, well writter and exciting film. I loved how varied the director's visual eye was, especially with the more relaxing scenes. Hopefully the local distributor will release a Blu-Ray with extra material, as I would love to see more behind the scenes from this one.

I'm waiting for this to come to Streaming

I wish these blurays had more behind the scenes stuff. I noticed there's less extra features like that when it comes to current year

Like in the 2000s you would get lot more behind the scene features than you do now

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Civil War

I also watched this at the cinema today and wow. What a film. Probably Alex Garland's best work yet. I really, really hope this gets a 4K release.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope that's the case

I hated Men

I thought Devs was ok

I loved Dredd, Ex Machina and Annihilation

I'm hoping I love this film

Based on the above, chances are you'll love it.

I personally can't wait to see it again. Fantastic action, great characters, amazing music (whoever's idea it was to use Sturgill Simpson's Breakers Roar in that scene is a genius) and a complex message that will leave you dwelling on it long after the credits roll.

Neolombax

Dune Part 2. It was okay, the cinematography was breathtaking, but I still thought the first part was better. It felt a bit rushed towards the end. Paul's sudden change of character after drinking the worm piss felt a bit abrupt.

Rebel Moon Part 2. I've no idea how the movie was, last I remember someone was cutting some crops in slow motion and then I fell asleep. I have no interest to continue watching this movie.

Yerd

I watched that jazz drumming movie Whiplash. Because I keep seeing clips from this movie. Had it on the list for a while. Really good movie. If you can sit through all the emotional abuse. Reminds me of my high school band teacher. Though he was only about 5% as abusive. He called me a pink f***** in front of 250 class members (it was a big ass band) because I wore a pink t-shirt one day. Never again. I don't know what it is but I hate Miles Teller's face, but he's a good actor in spite of my hate.

After that I watched Smokey and the Bandit. I kept hearing raves about this from certain podcast. I chalk that up to an age difference. It's a fun movie and there are some laughs but I don't find it as hilarious as the podcaster.

Tried Smokey and the Bandit 2 after and only got halfway through. It was a pile a dog shit. I'm sending that one to the moon, Alice.

Dune Part 2. It was okay, the cinematography was breathtaking, but I still thought the first part was better. It felt a bit rushed towards the end. Paul's sudden change of character after drinking the worm piss felt a bit abrupt.

Rebel Moon Part 2. I've no idea how the movie was, last I remember someone was cutting some crops in slow motion and then I fell asleep. I have no interest to continue watching this movie.
LOL I watched that rebel moon 2 as well. The slow motion crop scene was ridiculous. I forgot to crank the speed up to 1.5x and suffered through all of it. I forget they added the ability to speed up.

After that I watched Smokey and the Bandit. I kept hearing raves about this from certain podcast. I chalk that up to an age difference. It's a fun movie and there are some laughs but I don't find it as hilarious as the podcaster.

Tried Smokey and the Bandit 2 after and only got halfway through. It was a pile a dog shit. I'm sending that one to the moon, Alice.
Smokey and the Bandit is before my time, but the Pontiac Trans Am driving is a sight to behold. The rest of the film is lighthearted and goofy in an entertaining way like a saturday morning cartoon. The sequel is trash on the other hand because it butchers Bandit's character and the driving sequences are dull.

Last edited:
Top Bottom