• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spectre premiered on The Movie Network last night, so I saved it and watched it today. I went in with low expectations given the middling reviews, so maybe that factored in to why I found it surprisingly decent and better than expected. It's no masterpiece, but it has some phenomenal action scenes (the helicopter and plane scenes, as well as the railcar fight).

Oh? We starting a fight? okay, how about:

The Fountain, Tree of Life, that kind of self-congratulatory human-spiritual self-wank 'art' stuff that's so embarrassingly shallow it's in the same category as moe anime in terms of how interesting it should be for an actual adult. No wait, moe fans are 30+ creeps. I meant YA, that "I'm so fucking deep, man" audience, where it's cliché after cliché and they ain't deep at all.
You're better off with movies that threat humans as actual humans. None of that ascesis crap. I'm not allergic to the concept, I just don't like the wankjob that happens with it.

The Tree of Life is the greatest 90 minute movie ever made with about an hour of wankery attached to it. The section that takes place in Sean Penn's memory of his childhood is some of the finest work ever committed to celluloid.

UrbanRats

Dude, Tree of Life doesn't treat humans like humans? Brad Pitt in that movie was like a brick in my stomach, with how poignantly it depicted all them daddy issues.
-
Saw The Nice Guys, hilarious movie, Ryan Gosling really killed it.
Not that familiar with Shane Black, but really enjoyed this.

all that beach stuff was
what.png

Blader

I do love The Tree of Life but I have a hard time parsing any other meaning out of that ending other than "Jack peace with his brother's death because his family will be reunited in heaven someday." Which, unless you're that religious, is kind of a boring resolution to me.

And I say that as someone who liked the finale of Lost!

New World and Thin Red Line are Malick goats. But the family part of tree of life is his best work.

Nobody likes the Penn scenes. Even he was like "Tree of life was great but why was I in it"

UrbanRats

I do love The Tree of Life but I have a hard time parsing any other meaning out of that ending other than "Jack peace with his brother's death because his family will be reunited in heaven someday." Which, unless you're that religious, is kind of a boring resolution to me.

And I say that as someone who liked the finale of Lost!

As someone not religious, to me it means "You'll never find peace in life".
Matches up with zombie Penn at least.

Sisters was quite obviously an amateur effort by De Palma, and while it's not really all that great, it's still fun to see him play with his usual toys like split screen, fake outs, and ultra pulpy take on Hitchcock scenarios. The entire murder sequence (which is pretty shocking actually) and use of split screen for a rear window esque tenant across the way witnessing it was particularly well down.

big ander

Tree of Life is a perfect movie.
I don't think you have to be religious to swallow the ending. I read the ending as more metaphysical—you don't have to be religious to believe our connections to loved ones are more than our in-person interaction with them

lost finale's great too

Sydle

Hell or High Water was very enjoyable. Good performances all around, but I think Jeff Bridges stood out the most and did an outstanding job.

1. Realistically, the highest peer pressure rating has to got to, like, Seven Samurai or Lawrence of Arabia or something. One of those universally praised epics that the MovieGAF Blog™ will soon expose as overrated trash.

2. I'll gladly be on the HEAT cheerleading squad, but only if you all accept the lord and savior Miami Vice into your lives. Otherwise, the Mann-boyz remain splintered, forever in this civil war. Our very own airport fight scene.

3. All these asterisks you have to attach to The Tree of Life is why The New World >>>>

1. Realistically, the highest peer pressure rating has to got to, like, Seven Samurai or Lawrence of Arabia or something. One of those universally praised epics that the MovieGAF Blog™ will soon expose as overrated trash.

It's pretty funny that those two are the last two films I've rated 10/10.

3. All these asterisks you have to attach to The Tree of Life is why The New World >>>>

I may come around to this eventually, The New World has been growing on me further since I've seen it. It's definitely the more consistent movie, and the ending is wayyyy better, but I still think the bulk of Tree of Life is better.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
watched midnight special, 8/10, loved it mostly but the kid wasn't a great actor and the
massive shadow city didnt make sense if they were beings of light but whatever still cool visual
would highly recommend

also watched high rise. dunno about this one. some great stuff in there but probably not able to unpack it after one viewing. can't say id recommend it to that many people either

Spectre premiered on The Movie Network last night, so I saved it and watched it today. I went in with low expectations given the middling reviews, so maybe that factored in to why I found it surprisingly decent and better than expected. It's no masterpiece, but it has some phenomenal action scenes (the helicopter and plane scenes, as well as the railcar fight).

Spectre is good. But just good. It's not bad at all. Just kind of there in terms of quality Bond.

Spectre is the type of film that the more I thought about it after seeing it, it made me angrier and angrier.

The Intern with Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway? Yeah, that's a good flick.

Spectre is good. But just good. It's not bad at all. Just kind of there in terms of quality Bond.

Yeah, it's tough to disagree with that. I do think that I liked it more because I adjusted my expectations, but the mentioned action scenes were standouts and badass. (And I'm normally not someone who gets hung up on action movies or goes crazy for over the top scenes. I'm more of a drama/horror guy.)

Spectre is the type of film that the more I thought about it after seeing it, it made me angrier and angrier.

Please expand

Blader

As someone not religious, to me it means "You'll never find peace in life".
Matches up with zombie Penn at least.

That seems like the complete opposite to me :lol

I don't think he was zombified at the end. He looked content. He *was* a zombie for basically all of his scenes up until that last one, but then you've got that beach reunion juxtaposed with Penn cracking a smile as he's walking.

Lost is a fourth-rate "The Prisoner".

Now that's a hell of a weirdo ending.

Ain't too many movies you'll watch in a year that you can describe as "delightful", but Whit Stillman's Love & Friendship (2016) is just that. I have a soft spot for these British period romantic comedies tbh, and this one is filled with entertaining performances and snappy dialogue. Tom Bennett in particular steals every scene he's in as the tremendously awkward and goofy Sir James Martin. Kate Beckinsale has a fantastic voice btw, I could listen to her talk forever. Lovely movie. Great movie. Tremendous movie. We have the best movies.

lordxar

Days of Heaven. I really enjoyed this but not for the story. I loved all the factory and farming insights. Malick definitely does a great job of putting you there because he shows so much random scenery to the point you feel like your taking things in like the cast is. The story just felt boring in comparison. I was more interested in seeing how farms worked back in the day and how the tractors operated.

Toothless

Southside With You is rather delightful. Pleasantly engaging and directed with enough flair to be something special without being distracting, it's a charming romance that just so happens to be about our current First Family. Sumpter and Sawyers are both spectacular in their role, as you completely believe they're Michelle and Barack, while also, for the most part, forgetting who they will become. The script is constantly sharp, with the exception of a fifteen minute detour in the middle of the film which, though necessary, moves away from their heartfelt romance to a more-Barack focused flick. Southside With You is a wonderful romance and a really special movie all around, powered by a strong script and direction and even stronger performances.

UberTag

Southside With You is rather delightful. Pleasantly engaging and directed with enough flair to be something special without being distracting, it's a charming romance that just so happens to be about our current First Family. Sumpter and Sawyers are both spectacular in their role, as you completely believe they're Michelle and Barack, while also, for the most part, forgetting who they will become. The script is constantly sharp, with the exception of a fifteen minute detour in the middle of the film which, though necessary, moves away from their heartfelt romance to a more-Barack focused flick. Southside With You is a wonderful romance and a really special movie all around, powered by a strong script and direction and even stronger performances.
I'm going into this hoping it'll turn out to be Before Sunrise with the Obamas. Or at least a close facsimile.

UrbanRats

That seems like the complete opposite to me :lol

I don't think he was zombified at the end. He looked content. He *was* a zombie for basically all of his scenes up until that last one, but then you've got that beach reunion juxtaposed with Penn cracking a smile as he's walking.

That's what i mean.
The guy can't get over his trauma in life, and essentially has the hope that an afterlife will (literally) magically fix everything.
If you don't believe in religion or afterlife, that's a pretty grim take, masqueraded as a happy ending, because the final part is essentially wishful thinking.

Window

I think the ending is being taken a bit literally here. New born kids don't literally spring from an underwater house either.

UrbanRats

I think the ending is being a bit literally here. New born kids don't literally spring from an underwater house either.

I know, that doesn't change the Christian interpretation of struggle & reward, that's at the basis of the ending, as well as at the basis of Christianity.
You suffer in life, you reap the benefits in the afterlife.

But i mean i'm not faulting it for it or anything like that, i was just pointing out how more grim the movie comes off if you don't believe in an afterlife.

Window

There's no doubt that Malick films have a presence of Christian themes but I don't see their presence conforming in line with typical ideas of guilt, repression, penitence etc. Not to say that they aren't there but I think he presents them through a lens of humanism and some weird form of naturalism. The same is true of The Tree of Life. He doesn't put forth any ideas of a causal relationship between suffering and salvation. Like most of this other films, its about people coming to terms with an incomprehensible (maybe indifferent?) universe. Instead of taking a nihilistic view on this, he adopts a more optimistic view. This is what makes his films religious I guess, assigning such a quality to existence. The drawn connections behind the events happen to be incidental (kind of like Kieslowski).

Or at least, that's how I've come to view his films over the past 15 minutes.

T Dollarz

Ain't too many movies you'll watch in a year that you can describe as "delightful", but Whit Stillman's Love & Friendship (2016) is just that. I have a soft spot for these British period romantic comedies tbh, and this one is filled with entertaining performances and snappy dialogue. Tom Bennett in particular steals every scene he's in as the tremendously awkward and goofy Sir James Martin. Kate Beckinsale has a fantastic voice btw, I could listen to her talk forever. Lovely movie. Great movie. Tremendous movie. We have the best movies.

Yes! I'm right there with you, movie was simply so delightful. The dialogue was exceptional. A highlight for me this year, and something different.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
As part of my local cinema club, we have screenings at one of my local cinema. Each screening is a mystery movie and we don't know what the film is till the film starts.

So last night's movie was, The Exorcist.

I have never seen this film before, much to the shock of most of my friends. So here are some thoughts about it.

The story is brilliantly told and I love how it is paced. 1970's hospitals are terrifying, and I love how the characters, including Fr Karras, trying to find a scientific understanding of what is happening to Regan.

The physical and practical effects all still hold up and look great.

I'm still trying to digest the film, so I may come back and add more thoughts to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom