• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Oneself

I just joined ps plus for month so my save games back up. Will it do it automatically or will do I have to do each game manually?

I'm old and only play single player games
You should be able to see them already, automatically backed up in the settings.

wolfhunter777

Neo Member
Pretty certain you can and I did......

mMB4GgK.png

https://twitter.com/DaveP2611/status/782209045369413633

You will arrive at the gates of Valhalla, shiny and chrome!

MADGAME

If I get a PS4 Pro down the road but also keep my OG PS4, do I still do the data transfer from the old to the new?

Not sure if transferring from one to the other wipes the data on the old, or if I just download stuff on the new without doing any data transfer.

Sanctuary

So what do you do if you didn't know that you had to deactivate the console before getting rid of it, and you already set it to factory defaults and gave it to someone? Does this lock you out from ever using that account on another system? Because I sold mine months ago to a friend. I can access the console at any point, but I don't see how that will do much good, since he's already added another account on it.

I only had a single game on mine, but fuck if I'm going to rebuy Bloodborne and the DLC.

So what do you do if you didn't know that you had to deactivate the console before getting rid of it, and you already set it to factory defaults and gave it to someone? Does this lock you out from ever using that account on another system? Because I sold mine months ago to a friend. I can access the console at any point, but I don't see how that will do much good, since he's already added another account on it.

I only had a single game on mine, but fuck if I'm going to rebuy Bloodborne and the DLC.

You can do it from your account on the web. You need to deactivate all of your consoles and you can only do it once every six months. Once you do that you can activate your new console.

1. Make sure I am signed into the PS4 (including sub accounts)
2. Just in case, backup all user data to a USB
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/data_system.html
3. Sync trophies just in case
4. Remove any easy to reinstall games I have physical versions of, eg Titanfall 2 at this time of writing had an 80mb patch only. Delete all physically owned games that have minimal install requirements. Saves a lot of wasted time on backup/restore
4. Backup my 2tb PS4 to an external 2tb USB attached drive
5. Now deactivate my PS4
6. Put original 500gb back in the to be traded PS4 which will cause it to initialize. Do not sign into PSN
7. Get PS4 Pro, put my 2tb 2.5in hdd in before turning on.
8. Have the 900mb System Restore handy on USB and have PS4 Pro set to go (make sure system software is same version)
9. Sign into new PS4 Pro and activate as primary
10. Perform restore from external 2tb HDD

I think the only step I would add here is after you put the original 500gb back in you might need to use your 900mb system restore on that as well so the OS is ready for whoever you are giving it or selling it to.

Go here

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

And deactivate devices, can do once every 6 months.

Also you wouldn't actually have to rebuy it, logging in on the account that purchased it would be enough to redownload it and play on that account, just you wouldn't be able to make the Pro a primary as it would still be considered that on the other PS4.

PaulLFC

Swapped out the hard drive in my current PS4 last night, 2TB drive is now ready to be put into the Pro on Thursday and the current PS4 is back on 500GB ready for trading in.

Hopefully Sony are smart enough to not update the firmware for at least a few days after the Pro launch, otherwise people's backups could be made useless.

Sanctuary

You can do it from your account on the web. You need to deactivate all of your consoles and you can only do it once every six months. Once you do that you can activate your new console.

All of the systems tied to that account (PS3 and PS4) or just whatever system you are getting rid of? Looking at my account, it only actually shows a PS3, and it also shows all of the content I own (including Bloodborne....). Hell, I might be misremembering that I did actually deactivate it, and I'm worrying about nothing.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, and under "most recent activation" it just shows the PS3 that was activated in 2009. Under the "Playstation Systems" link, it just shows 1.

All of the systems tied to that account (PS3 and PS4) or just whatever system you are getting rid of? Looking at my account, it only actually shows a PS3, and it also shows all of the content I own (including Bloodborne....). Hell, I might be misremembering that I did actually deactivate it, and I'm worrying about nothing.

Sounds that way then, when you fire up the Pro and log in you should be able to make it the Primary and you're good to go.

I generally always get hardware on launch ever since the PS1, I've managed to get PS2/PS3/PS4 and PSVR the day or the day after. I'm being bought the Pro as a birthday present which isn't until the 26th :(

dedhead54

Unfortunately for me my old 500gb went in to the housing for my 2TB and became an external drive for my XB1. So I'll have to format that drive and put it back in my PS4, take the 2TB out to put in my pro, and I'll take the 1TB from the pro and it'll become by new XB1 drive but I'll have to redownload a bunch of stuff.

I'm trading my PS4 in to gamestop tomorrow so I either need to buy a USB drive to backup my stuff or I'll just say fuck it and kill my data this month and reinstall it all from the cloud. Good thing is most of my games are physical.

Bit confused about when you recommended to initialize the source PS4 and that this deactivates all accounts. Does it deactivate the PS4 because to deactivate a PS4 I thought you had to go here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/activation.html

Whereas for initializing, the manual does not specifically say whether the actual PS4 is deactivated as the primary:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/restore_system.html

So, before I trade mine in I will:

1. Make sure I am signed into the PS4 (including sub accounts)
2. Just in case, backup all user data to a USB
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/data_system.html
3. Sync trophies just in case
4. Remove any easy to reinstall games I have physical versions of, eg Titanfall 2 at this time of writing had an 80mb patch only. Delete all physically owned games that have minimal install requirements. Saves a lot of wasted time on backup/restore
4. Backup my 2tb PS4 to an external 2tb USB attached drive
5. Now deactivate my PS4
6. Put original 500gb back in the to be traded PS4 which will cause it to initialize. Do not sign into PSN
7. Get PS4 Pro, put my 2tb 2.5in hdd in before turning on.
8. Have the 900mb System Restore handy on USB and have PS4 Pro set to go (make sure system software is same version)
9. Sign into new PS4 Pro and activate as primary
10. Perform restore from external 2tb HDD

Can I ask why you need to be signed into your psn accounts (including sub accounts) please?

SeanR1221

So basically....

- Backup my 2TB drive to an external HDD
- Deactivate my PS4 as the primary PS4
- pop the 2TB into the pro
- restore from the external HDD on the pro
- Activate that as the primary.

Done

Not sure if this has been answered, but can I be logged in on 2 PS4s at the same time? Like if my GF is in the living room watching Vue on my PS4 Pro, can I be in my office playing a game on my old PS4? Both logged into the same PSN account?

SGRU

Is it a good idea to use the HDD inside a external USB drive instead of the hybrid Seagate drives? I'm on the cheap now and I have a USB 3 drive that I don't use so I was thinking on recycling it... Is the price really worth it for the hybrids?

Just to clarify. I want to keep my old PS4 2TB hard drive but I also want to trade my old PS4 in. I dont really care about redownloading my games and have my saves backed up on the cloud. Can I just put my old hard drive into the Pro and start from scratch without any issues?

So I'm selling my PS4 Friday and buying a Pro Thursday. If I do the transfer between the two consoles on my network, everything on my old PS4 will be wiped and I'll be able to sell it as is?

Just to clarify. I want to keep my old PS4 2TB hard drive but I also want to trade my old PS4 in. I dont really care about redownloading my games and have my saves backed up on the cloud. Can I just put my old hard drive into the Pro and start from scratch without any issues?

Yes. It will prompt you when you boot it up that the drive needs to be formatted. You will loose everything on the drive but it will be good to go after the format.

Pat_DC

Hell, I might be misremembering that I did actually deactivate it, and I'm worrying about nothing.

I think when you initialize the ps4 it automatically deactivates the machine as your primary. I checked that sony account page before and I had a ps4 and ps3 active, then after I intialized the ps4 it was gone from my list. You should be good to go.

chrono01

My PS4 Pro arrived today, so I'll be doing my transfer tomorrow (when I find time).

Just to be clear, I don't need to deactivate my current PS4 or anything before I initiate the transfer, since the transfer itself should handle that, correct? I just want to make sure everything is clear/known, before I attempt this.

Also, is it necessary to install the latest firmware on the PS4 Pro (by signing into my PSN account) before the transfer?

SGRU

Is it a good idea to use the HDD inside a external USB drive instead of the hybrid Seagate drives? I'm on the cheap now and I have a USB 3 drive that I don't use so I was thinking on recycling it... Is the price really worth it for the hybrids?

Help me GAF. :(

Help me GAF. :(

I use a 2TB from inside an external drive it's fine, load times are never THAT bad compared to loading from a cassette tape in the 80's, only for the load to fail after about 10-15 minutes. I'm looking at you Midnight Resistance on the 128k Spectrum+3! Young pups don't know how good they got it!

I'm backing up 316gb and it's going to take around 10 hours by the looks of it. Was going to hand it to game UK this afternoon pay the money and pick up tomorrow but not now.

Rang game who are doing a midnight launch and they said I could do the trade there and then which is cool.

Looks like the back up will finish at 11pm tonight. 300gb of the back up are captures and screenshots. Games are PT R7 beginning hour

Oneself

I'm backing up 316gb and it's going to take around 10 hours by the looks of it. Was going to hand it to game UK this afternoon pay the money and pick up tomorrow but not now.

Rang game who are doing a midnight launch and they said I could do the trade there and then which is cool.

Looks like the back up will finish at 11pm tonight. 300gb of the back up are captures and screenshots. Games are PT R7 beginning hour
Copying your screenshots and videos to an external drive would save you a lot of time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
The transfer between the ps4 with the demo of p.t. and the pro with the lan method between both will preserve the p.t. in the new system?

My pro arrives in 2 days and i want to pass everything i have in my ps4 in the new system with the lan method.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone got any times on a transfer from PS4 to Pro via Ethernet?

I had a problem with the PS4 backing up where it wouldn't use any of my hard drives ever though they were the right format. So I'm looking to go Ethernet between them, I just don't want it to take forever.

Its a shame they force a format when swapping drives, backing up a 2tb HDD is pretty annoying when the Pro only has 1tb in it. Think I'm just gonna leave the 2tb in my PS4 and keep the 1tb in the Pro for now.

Might buy another 2tb drive at xmas for the Pro, as I will only have a few games on it between now and then, so it won't be a big issue to redownload a few games and patches compared to a near full 2tb HDD.

Naite

I'm currently doing ethernet transfer right now It's currently transferring 623GB. I don't know why but I couldn't do it with an ethernet cable directly so I connected them both to my router.

It estimated that it would take 110 minutes but the time they give while transferring is different (said 5 hours, but after 10 minutes it says 3 hours).

DOWN

Banned
I let go of PT. I hadn't played it since launch and I didn't have a correctly formatted hard drive so I decided not to do a transfer

dedhead54

I let go of PT. I hadn't played it since launch and I didn't have a correctly formatted hard drive so I decided not to do a transfer

I let it go as well. I haven't touched it in two years. I don't need it anymore. I didn't want to buy a storage device just to keep it.

Also, I didn't deactivate my PS4 before I swapped back in the OG HDD and traded it in to GameStop. I figured initializing it as a new console would deactivate it. If this isn't the case isn't there a way to deactivate it online?

jobrro

Any videos yet of someone opening up the Pro to stick in a new hdd?

I found one here.

I was going to to the LAN transfer after changing HDD but ended up reducing my used space from 1.4TB down to a little over 500GB and backing up to make the restore faster. Not sure which is faster LAN or USB but at least this way I don't have to worry about the OG PS4 during transfer. Will just swap the 2TB from the old to the new and have the most boring couple of hours with a new console ever, on par with having to wait for a new portable to fully charge for the first time before usage.

chrono01

Do you have to sign into both PS4's before you go to Transfer on the new one?
I'd like to know this too.

Also, it's not necessary to deactivate the current PS4 before you do the transfer, right? I've heard the transfer itself does the deactivation, and activates the new PS4 Pro automatically.

Copying your screenshots and videos to an external drive would save you a lot of time.

I tried that but looked like it would work out the same.

So 3 hours left and the back up failed... Could not access USB storage device. Basically the crappy 2011 500gb wd blue I borrowed off a friend should be destroyed.

I only had a wd 320gb HD(original 300gb ps3 drive) which is like 295 usable. The back up was 316gb so I copied some vids and SS. Got the size down to 288gb and the estimated time was 108 mins for the backup!

I've got seven minutes left! Can't be arsed going to game now tho so will do in morning.

So getting decent drive to back it up on makes a great difference

jobrro

Posted in the launch thread as well but will stick here as some sort of indicator for the restore speeds from a USB3 drive.

Just got my Pro in Japan from Amazon. Swapped in my 2TB M9T and restoring a 576.5GB backup from a USB3 drive. Started off saying like 14 hours, but quickly went down to 3 hours, from the progress indicator seems to be doing approximately 70MB/s.

Owning mostly disc based games I think I'm just gonna do fresh installs on my PS4 Pro. My other system is going into another room so if I ever really need it, it will be available.

If changing HDD for the Ps4 Pro - Go here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Download the full update for clean install at the vottom and follow instructions.

1. Deactivate your current PS4.
2. Copy firmware to USB in the format explained in the link.
3. Swap PS4 PRO HDDs.
4. Turn On PS4 PRO with the USB stick with the Firmware for the clean install pressing the pwoer button for 7 seconds to start up in safe mode.
5. Select Initialize PS4

This is what I am doing. Currently have a 2TB HDD in my PS4 OG and want that in my Pro.

I am currenly backing up about 425GB on an external so I can move it over easily tomorrow. Looks like it will take about ~3hrs to back up.

Does anyone know if will take the same about of time to get it loaded onto my PS4 Pro?

Jeels

Can someone help me out? I will not be doing a backup/restore via an external hard drive. I do however have an SSD on my PS4 and I will be swapping the original hard drive back into the PS4 before trading it in for a pro. But what steps do I need to do as far as deactivating my account from my original PS4?

I think these are the steps?

-Go into SEN and deactive account/deactivate as primary PS4 for my OG PS4
-Switch out SSD with OG hardrive on OG PS4
-Apply latest firmware to OG PS4
-Get PS4 Pro
-Swap in SSD to PS4 Pro
-Apply latest firmware to PS4 Pro
-Sign into my PS4 Pro/make primary

does that sound right?

Top Bottom