• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: Switch 2 to use Orin T239 Nvidia Soc , PS4 and PS4 pro performance Without DLSS

Ozriel

M$FT
Because performance being thrown around is comparable to those systems.
What recent nintendo history makes you think nintendo will sell it at a loss and not try to make every penny they can? The Switch is over 5 years old and still selling at the original 299 msrp. Launch games until recently were still 59.99.

And? the z1 extreme handhelds aren’t pushing power much above PS4 levels.

When did I say the Switch 2 would be sold at a loss? They can try to make every penny they can, but they know their target market, and I’m not convinced a Nintendo handheld can crack the $399 mark.

Economics of scale will see them put out hardware more powerful than the Deck, with lower BOM costs than Valve was able to secure.

It’s one thing to sell hardware with no losses. It’s another to sell hardware with the knowledge that 100% of your future revenue comes from hardware with zero software revenue. Pricing will align more with Steamdeck than the likes of the Ally

People in these threads also expect 16gb ram, 4k 120hz, oled, 1tb ssd, all day battery. Nintendo is also going to have to figure a way to make all this fit while making it not look like a monstrosity like the deck. What kinda online infrastructure people expect nintendo to have playing the latest and greatest games "online" on such a cutting edge system which no one has seemed to discuss. Only wetdream specs and pricing similar to the ps5/series launch speculation.
The biggest reason why this will never happen is nintendo itself. They don't need these specs to be successful. They have the balls to sell cardboard for $60 and people expect them to take a loss on hardware?

Not a single person here expects 4K 120hz displays or support, most know Nintendo wouldn’t go with OLED and even the switch doesn’t remotely have ‘all day battery life’. Nobody is even speculating power levels anywhere close to the PS5.

These days, high end ARM GPUs are capable enough, and Nvidia is certainly capable enough, to make an SoC that’s significantly more powerful than that in the Switch + support for Ray tracing and DLSS. All without breaking the bank.

For example, Apple’s M1 chipset from 2020 fits in iPad tablets and has enough GPU power to run games like Rise of the Tomb Raider…benchmarked to levels around 1050Ti.

Ozriel

M$FT
I wonder why I keep reading this type of bullshit on every thread about Switch and why people keep posting it like brain damaged zombie without reading the incredible bullshit in it.

“Looks like a PS5 game” could simply mean looking really good. I still remember people posting Mario Odyssey screenshots and claiming it looked as good as some PS4 games.

aside that, I’m not sure what other rumors there scream ‘incredible bullshit’.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The PS4 is 10 years old.... In terms of technology it's ancient.

There's nothing great about a console in 2024 being on the level of very old tech.

But it's Nintendo you'll get a 720p LCD screen at 1tf and people will pay $400+ for it 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️
It's not old tech. This is supposed to be used portably out of the box. You really think you can expect a hybrid system to perform like the PS5 and not be a huge brick, let alone being able to take it anywhere. Sorry but that's a little crazy.

If you really want "new" tech you need to be getting a PC. Not even a PS5, it's old too.

This all sounds like horse shit.

1. It's Nintendo, and they aren't going to chase power or the latest standards without some sort of miracle.
2. Even with DLSS the amount of power required to get PS5 level results would be too much for the handheld.
3. Price. I don't see Nintendo wanting to put out a product over $400. These Z1 handhelds are at minimum $600 and the current Z1 Extreme machines are $700 & $800.
4. To go along with the last one. Size. Nintendo aren't going to release a monstrosity like the Deck/Ally/GO. Those handhelds are huge and much of it is required due to the hardware.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

TAS

Too much smoke for all this to be BS. It's possible they go with a $399+ backward-compatible Switch 2. A huge chunk of the 125+ million installed base will eat it up without blinking. The original Switch will remain on the market
for several more years no doubt, so they are in a position to venture out of their comfort zone and take some risks.

Brigandier

It's not old tech. This is supposed to be used portably out of the box. You really think you can expect a hybrid system to perform like the PS5 and not be a huge brick, let alone being able to take it anywhere. Sorry but that's a little crazy.

If you really want "new" tech you need to be getting a PC. Not even a PS5, it's old too.

Please highlight where I said I expect a handheld to perform like a PS5.

Kataploom

Gold Member
When Switch 2 gets an performance upgrade comparable to PS5 with DLSS i can't imagine how awesome a new Mario or Zelda will look like.
Also Emulation won't be such a problem for Nintendo.
Imagine if for emulating Switch 2 you don't only need a powerful GPU but a RTX one lol, literally all phones and consoles without Nvidia GPUs are out of the game 😂

Kataploom

Gold Member
No. Both consoles cost the same as one mid-range GPU.
At the time with overpriced crypto fiasco prices. You can get something equivalent for not so much more or even around it for around the same price, AMD rDNA 2 GPUs are cheap as they were always supposed to be

Beechos

And? the z1 extreme handhelds aren’t pushing power much above PS4 levels.

When did I say the Switch 2 would be sold at a loss? They can try to make every penny they can, but they know their target market, and I’m not convinced a Nintendo handheld can crack the $399 mark.

Economics of scale will see them put out hardware more powerful than the Deck, with lower BOM costs than Valve was able to secure.

It’s one thing to sell hardware with no losses. It’s another to sell hardware with the knowledge that 100% of your future revenue comes from hardware with zero software revenue. Pricing will align more with Steamdeck than the likes of the Ally

Not a single person here expects 4K 120hz displays or support, most know Nintendo wouldn’t go with OLED and even the switch doesn’t remotely have ‘all day battery life’. Nobody is even speculating power levels anywhere close to the PS5.

These days, high end ARM GPUs are capable enough, and Nvidia is certainly capable enough, to make an SoC that’s significantly more powerful than that in the Switch + support for Ray tracing and DLSS. All without breaking the bank.

For example, Apple’s M1 chipset from 2020 fits in iPad tablets and has enough GPU power to run games like Rise of the Tomb Raider…benchmarked to levels around 1050Ti.
Exactly nintendo knows their target audience. They don't need power to sell their system. I'm not saying the tech is not avail. Can we agree switch 2 with this chip with whatever else components will prob be $399 minimum best case scenario?

Last edited:
rome GIF

81LHbS62xZL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

e2bc1469fe5f436e9f1fef83cf0e13f8.jpg

I think I can live with that
Epic proof that games actually looked better before than now with the bloated studios, non art direction, big talk and woke implementations.

I wish we could go back to a time where devs tried to get the max out of the consoles while also trying to invent new game mechanics and physics.

Modern games are game by design, they’re all the same, safe, boring, inspiration less all to please a shareholder that doesn’t have any idea what gamers like or why gamers play video games.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
That's all I needed to hear.

Couldn't really care less how powerful it ends up being.
So your plan is to spend money on any hardware that is called switch 2 and it dosent matter at all what you are paying for as long as you can play your old games that you can already play on your current hardware ? ....

Damn nintendo really achieved another level of cult following... they really can allow themselves to simply dont give a shit and sell anyway ...

Kataploom

Gold Member
What I'm getting at, is that Series S has defined the standard of a "next gen" game up to now as something Switch 2 is likely able to do.

If we only had PS5 and XSX. Games might have been built to a higher spec and a bit more out of reach of a modest handheld from Nintendo without much more down-porting work and effort. So it is a huge favor. So, thanks for setting your competition up for success while I play Gamepass for nothing, MS!
You want to push those consoles even more? You want then running games at 540p or what? Those consoles reach their own limits before Series S is ever a factor lol There's enough proof of that already

So your plan is to spend money on any hardware that is called switch 2 and it dosent matter at all what you are paying for as long as you can play your old games that you can already play on your current hardware ? ....

Damn nintendo really achieved another level of cult following... they really can allow themselves to simply dont give a shit and sell anyway ...
What about people honestly not caring at all? Like they could say the same about any company anyway but it just happens this is Nintendo we're talking about.

If people want to play on a powerful device, that's what PC is for. All consoles are budget.

Killer8

It's a given that it'll be more powerful. It's a given there will be new software that can only take advantage of the new hardware. Whether that hardware is Steam Deck level or PS4 Pro level is ultimately pretty irrelevant to the platform. Nintendo have not been about cutting edge visuals for many generations now and acting like it suddenly matters for their games is just retarded.

Xyphie

Better than Steam Deck is a non-issue. We know the T239 chip has 12 SMs thanks to the nVidia hack leak. Even with pretty extreme binning like 8/12 SM active it'll outperform the Steam Deck at equivalent power envelopes. If Switch 2 uses all 12 it'll be faster than a ROG Ally at equivalent power.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Please highlight where I said I expect a handheld to perform like a PS5.
You said PS4, and referred to it as ancient tech. PS5 is the following gen, therefore I deduced. Point still stands..

Last edited:
I want to believe it but it's hard to think Nintendo would go out of their way to offer such powerful hardware by their standards. I'll believe it when I see it. If true, then I can see no 3rd party developers excluding Nintendo moving forward

Woopah

I want to believe it but it's hard to think Nintendo would go out of their way to offer such powerful hardware by their standards. I'll believe it when I see it. If true, then I can see no 3rd party developers excluding Nintendo moving forward
Nintendo will want to keep improving third party support, so I definitely think Switch 2 will be between a PS4 and PS5 in power.

It won't get every game released, but third party support should be stronger than on Switch.

FireFly

I googled the steamdeck and supposedly it is 1.86 TF at $399 which dashes my hope for the switch 2 to be closer to the ps4 pro.

I'd honestly like a paper Pokemon game if it hasn't happened already.
A 3 TF Nvidia (Ampere architecture) part should be about as powerful as a 2 TF RDNA 2 part. So 3 TF is possible but won't put it close to the PS4 Pro.

UnNamed

Banned
“Looks like a PS5 game” could simply mean looking really good. I still remember people posting Mario Odyssey screenshots and claiming it looked as good as some PS4 games.

aside that, I’m not sure what other rumors there scream ‘incredible bullshit’.

FF7R looks and runs like a PS5 game on Switch 2 devkit. Port took no time I'm told. Could be a launch game, not sure

This, and basically everything else is written there. Where I live, "looks and runs like a PS5 game" means that look and run exactly like a PS5, or you would not specify it.
Port took no time is an Olympic level of bullshit. Even patches for PS4 to PS4 PRO require some time, let alone a port.
Could be a launch game, not sure said the person that is supposed to be a leaker and have first hand info.
Three bullshits in a row in just one sentence.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The problem with Nintendo and third parties is not the power of their machines, it's the audience. They both appeal to way different audiences.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A 3 TF Nvidia (Ampere architecture) part should be about as powerful as a 2 TF RDNA 2 part. So 3 TF is possible but won't put it close to the PS4 Pro.
One was aiming for 1800p resolution though, and the other will likely still be 720p/1080p. So Nintendo will have a lot of grunt to work with that's not just being put towards high resolutions.

Woopah

The problem with Nintendo and third parties is not the power of their machines, it's the audience. They both appeal to way different audiences.
The appeal of Switch is pretty broad at this point and its appeal is basically everyone.

Having said that it is stronger with some genres (RPGs, action adventure, platformer and simulation) than others (sports and FPS).

Dorfdad

Gold Member
"To dlss, or not to dlss, that's the question".
If I was Nintendo I’d force dlss on developers that all games will have to support Dlss that targets 1440p/60fps

1080p/60 handheld mode and when docked dlss kicks in to upscale to 1440p/60

I don’t believe for a second that the switch 2 will target for 4k natively.

It wouldn’t be hard for Nvidia to use similar features from the old shield for Nintendo switch 2 to upscale

Kataploom

Gold Member
The appeal of Switch is pretty broad at this point and its appeal is basically everyone.

Having said that it is stronger with some genres (RPGs, action adventure, platformer and simulation) than others (sports and FPS).
Switch broaden Nintendo audience, but it's still not 100% appealing for the same audience than PS/Xbox.

RDR seems to be performing poorly on Switch (I know, price and all), while Sonic games sold better on the fucking Wii U than they did on PS/Xbox consoles IIRC.

I don't think that's a problem tho, to each their own, the good thing about Switch is that even if it doesn't sell western AAA third parties as much as the others, it seems to be setting a ground at least decent sales on those games.

This. Their core audience can't even count to ten yet, let alone understand DLSS.
That's basically all consoles core audience if anything, some of them even thing their toys are "powerful" lol. Then they'll put the "price/performance" argument for which they'd leave Switch out conveniently.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's not achievable in a handheld form factor with current process technology.
isn't the Ryzen Z1 basically a 7840u, which is equivalent to a Ryzen 7 5800x? That is obviously far more powerful than the CPU inside the Series S. and the GPU inside the ROG Ally can hold its own against a gtx 1650 and rtx 2050..... which the Series S is roughly equivalent to.

We already have hardware that can equal that power

Last edited:

Woopah

Switch broaden Nintendo audience, but it's still not 100% appealing for the same audience than PS/Xbox.

RDR seems to be performing poorly on Switch (I know, price and all), while Sonic games sold better on the fucking Wii U than they did on PS/Xbox consoles IIRC.

I don't think that's a problem tho, to each their own, the good thing about Switch is that even if it doesn't sell western AAA third parties as much as the others, it seems to be setting a ground at least decent sales on those games.

That's basically all consoles core audience if anything, some of them even thing their toys are "powerful" lol. Then they'll put the "price/performance" argument for which they'd leave Switch out conveniently.
What is the bolded based on? RDR was the most downloaded Switch game in August in Europe, and has placed very well in the weekly US and Australian eShop charts.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo has to talk and walk it, publicly show a console stronger than the ps5 and even ps6.

Kataploom

Gold Member
What is the bolded based on? RDR was the most downloaded Switch game in August in Europe, and has placed very well in the weekly US and Australian eShop charts.
I saw something about it somewhere yesterday, but can't find it anymore... But if that's not true, we have Wii U as an example, one could say it doesn't count because the console sold poorly, but Sonic and Nintendo games were selling great on it anyway while western AAA ports were completely ignored.

Some people are misinterpreting the rumor. The supposed leaker didn't say it's as powerful as a PS5, he only said FF VII Remake (a PS4 game at its core) "looks and runs LIKE a PS5 game". If Switch 2 is about as powerful as a PS4 and has a better CPU, it could very well be running at 720p/60 and upscaling with DLSS to create a 1440p-like image.

In a $399 device that is profitable day one? I’m skeptical at best. Nintendo’s business model doesn’t support subsidizing hardware sales and selling them at a loss like Sony and Xbox.

Last edited:

Woopah

I saw something about it somewhere yesterday, but can't find it anymore... But if that's not true, we have Wii U as an example, one could say it doesn't count because the console sold poorly, but Sonic and Nintendo games were selling great on it anyway while western AAA ports were completely ignored.
Third parties basing their Switch 2 decisions on Wii U software sales would be like basing their PS5 decisions on Vita software sales.

It wouldn't make any sense, not when they can actually see how well their games are doing on the Switch. Why do you think Arkham Knight and Borderlands are being brought to the platform?

FireFly

isn't the Ryzen Z1 basically a 7840u, which is equivalent to a Ryzen 7 5800x? That is obviously far more powerful than the CPU inside the Series S. and the GPU inside the ROG Ally can hold its own against a gtx 1650 and rtx 2050..... which the Series S is roughly equivalent to.

We already have hardware that can equal that power
The Series S should be roughly equivalent to a desktop 1650. Do you have benchmarks showing the ROG Ally against the desktop variant? (I am not sure if the RTX 2050 ever released on desktop).

The 7840U probably would be able to deliver S level performance, if you could give it enough memory bandwidth and the full 80W. Which, like I said, would fit in an ultra portable laptop.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Third parties basing their Switch 2 decisions on Wii U software sales would be like basing their PS5 decisions on Vita software sales.

It wouldn't make any sense, not when they can actually see how well their games are doing on the Switch. Why do you think Arkham Knight and Borderlands are being brought to the platform?
Because there's a growing audience there that's undeniable, but in general Nintendo players always preferred more Nintendo style games, for the same reason indies and Sonic sell a lot on Switch, those tend to be more of that style, you know: Non-realistic art style, gameplay driven, etc.

I remember some Ubisoft or some other big publisher marketing guy saying something in the lines of "if we're bringing games to Nintendo we have to appeal their audience and compete with Nintendo, and that's something nobody wants".

tr1p1ex

Isn't it obvious that it will get a nice performance boost? The specifics matter as much as whether Nintendo has $13bn in the bank or $12bn or $12.5bn or $12.75bn.

Woopah

Because there's a growing audience there that's undeniable, but in general Nintendo players always preferred more Nintendo style games, for the same reason indies and Sonic sell a lot on Switch, those tend to be more of that style, you know: Non-realistic art style, gameplay driven, etc.

I remember some Ubisoft or some other big publisher marketing guy saying something in the lines of "if we're bringing games to Nintendo we have to appeal their audience and compete with Nintendo, and that's something nobody wants".
As by far the biggest console publisher in the world, Nintendo is always going to have the biggest share.

Third party games that don't have realistic art styles (such as Sonic, Dragon Ball Z Minecraft, Borderlands or Dragon Quest) can certainly do well.

But third party games that do have realistic art styles (such as RDR, GTA, Monster Hunter, Dark Souls or Resident Evil) can also do well.

It makes no sense not to bring a game to Switch because of its art style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom