• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS is going to Kill Game Pass Before CoD releases?

Is Game Pass dead by the end of the year?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
i just want to know the general vibes.

the more I think on it. the more likely I see MS killing Game Pass.

Cutting to the chase:

Xbox needs to make money fast and furiously.

1. We know Xbox Studios + Zenimax are not contributing to it.
2. Game Pass hasn't grown. and the growth projections for subscription services are not encouraging
3. Hardware will continue to decline
4. ABK is the sole reason for Xbox's growth in the last quarter; without them, Xbox´s revenue would have declined.
5. The dilemma is existential:
If you launch CoD on Game Pass and the strategy doesn't work out, you'd not only lose direct game sales but also one of the most important cash cows in your entire business...a business desperate to make money. The gambit is too damn risky and is not worth it when CoD by itself is working as a sub-service/platform.​
Edit:​
Now you can change your vote based on the events of the next two quarters 😁

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
lxaMlx8.gif

Three

They're more likely to raise prices in the hope that people will pay regardless to cover the cost of CoD. The most telltale sign is the 3:1 ratio if registered 3:2 if not. It means they expect a bunch of people to run out at a specific time at which point a price hike is expected. I'd give it till August /September.

AmuroChan

I don't see them killing GP, but I do see them making some substantial changes.

1. They could roll back the day 1 release policy and have 1st party games get a 45-60 day exclusive window of selling a la carte before becoming available on GP.
2. Make an elite tier for GP membership that's $35 a month and you get access to 1st party games day 1. The regular tier will follow the 45-60 day window mentioned in #1.

I don't see them killing GP, but I do see them making some substantial changes.

1. They could roll back the day 1 release policy and have 1st party games get a 45-60 day exclusive window of selling a la carte before becoming available on GP.
2. Make an elite tier for GP membership that's $35 a month and you get access to 1st party games day 1. The regular tier will follow the 45-60 day window mentioned in #1.
No way. MS is too heavily invested in GP to just kill it. I can see them restructuring or repricing it, but not just ending it.
day 1 should have never been a thing, should be all 1st party games on gamepass 6 months or so after launch, and the subscription should be kept at a favorable price.
Or they will introduce a tear system, and have cod locked to that higher level.
of course, I wanted to be more clickbaity, that's what the internet taught me.

but I think before killing it, we should see the price increase/restructuring.

Pelao

I voted not a chance, but really nothing would surprise me from Microsoft at this point.
If they really kill it, I hope they at least offer some good deals on the games available before they do, as there are several games in the catalog that I keep coming back to again and again, mostly Flight Simulator, Forza and a bunch of stuff with local coop.

Last edited:

radewagon

Not any time soon. You don't train your audience to stop buying games only to do a hard 180 and expect them to stick around. For worse or worser, MS is stuck with this business model for a while.

I know is clickbait...at the same time....have you seen the answers from Sarah Bond?

I don't think Game Pass makes Xbox financially healthy in this "transition period"
Im just joking around. GP could survive, change, or be canceled. Nothing would surprise me. I'm just waiting. Giving them until December to hint at what their strategy is for hardware and services. PC gamepass seems fine. GP cant affect PS5 multiplat sales either. We'll see.

reinking

Gold Member
They are stuck with it. I don't think they have a path to kill it without completely destroying their reputation in the gaming space. It would follow them into any future gaming related endeavors. I do see a scenario where they will start holding back premium titles from day one release on the service. I believe we are already starting to see it since the ABK merger.

Im just joking around. GP could survive, change, or be canceled. Nothing would surprise me. I'm just waiting. Giving them until December to hint at what their strategy is for hardware and services. PC gamepass seems fine. GP cant affect PS5 multiplat sales either. We'll see.
Im kind of half-joking.

The statements from Matt Booty and the closing of Tango are antithetical to what Game Pass should've enabled.

Saber

I doubt, they are way too stubborn.
I would risk a guess that they gonna be on a mass lay off streak and only leave the big ones releasing content on it as a part of it's new strategy.

Last edited:

havoc00

Xbox president Sarah Bond has confirmed that the company will continue to launch its first-party games, including Activision titles like Call of Duty, on Game Pass. This news comes in the midst of a period of uncertainty over the subscription service, as recent reports claimed that Microsoft was internally debating whether new Call of Duty titles should be launched on Xbox Game Pass.

Nydius

No way they’re going to kill it but as people have repeatedly pointed out they’ve painted themselves into a corner. They’re going to have to make changes to it, otherwise they end up destroying the profitability of the big name properties they spent $70B to obtain. But making any changes to it will certainly piss off the very people they already have subscribed because “all first party, day one on game pass” was a — if not the — primary selling point.

A price increase drives people away. Diluting it by adding higher tiers will also drive people away. Backtracking on adding first party day one will drive even their most ardent fans away. They’ve royally screwed themselves.

onQ123

Gamepass is the endgame. They might have tried it too soon but that's pretty much where it's going to end . The kids coming along now don't really care about owning the games as long as they can get the DLC

Gamepass is the endgame. They might have tried it too soon but that's pretty much where it's going to end . The kids coming along now don't really care about owning the games as long as they can get the DLC
Roblox
Fornite
CoD
Diablo
Overwatch
etc

GaaS function as subs-service (season passes) / platforms (multiple types of games) by themselves. a sub service to have access to those is kind of redundant.

onQ123

Roblox
Fornite
CoD
Diablo
Overwatch
etc

GaaS function as subs-service (season passes) / platforms (multiple types of games) by themselves. a sub service to have access to those is kind of redundant.
True but if someone was to get ownership of these games & include the seasons in their subscription they will have the kids.

True but if someone was to get ownership of these games & include the seasons in their subscription they will have the kids.
i think that's unfesable.

there's a reason why those types of games are so aggressive with MTX's... That's where the money comes from. meaning: these devs are insanely pressured to incentive transactions; and we also know that not many people meaningful engage with them, and a lot of people buys MTX's once in while at best.

Giving away some kind of season pass/cosmetics etc.. is a mistake as big as promising day one games on Game Pass.

Top Bottom