• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS's owned IPs this gen is fucking NUTS

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looking at those IPs, I hope MS retires 70% of them. Sony no longer makes Killzone, Resistance, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and other PS3 era IPs and thats a good thing. Lets move on.

They also need to make Bethesda way bigger than it currently is. Todd Howard once said that their fallout 5 team was like 100 people. And that was the main team. Their output is way too low for such an important studio. They have 3 big IPs now. That means they need 3 full size teams.

I would have them on a 3 year cycle.
Star Citizen
Elder Scrolls
Fallout

Rinse and repeat for the next 3 cycles at least. Their output between 2002 and 2015 is what they need to go back to. 5 amazing games. Three GOTY winners.

Leave ID Tech alone. They seem to be doing well with the Doom renaissance so if they come out with a next gen Doom in 2023, thats ok.

But the rest, Hellblade, Gears, Halo, State Of Decay, Dishonored, Death Loop they all gotta go. Go make new IPs and create the next Halo, not another Halo. Hellblade is an indie game. Ninja Theory can do so much better. I couldnt even get myself to finish Hellblade. it was basically the same game from start to finish and there wasnt much there. Gears is played out and the rest are just B games that MS needs to drop for good. No one buys consoles for those games.

An ideal year for me would be Fable, followed by Perfect Dark in Summer then finished off with a Bethesda game or Avowed and a Forza title. Thats 4 AAA games with at least 3 GOTY contenders. But they cant just have one good year. They gotta have another AAA title on par with perfect dark or Fable from either Coalition Studios or one of the Zenimax studios. And Death Loop and Dishonored aint it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How’d that work out for Rare?
Ok I think, Sea of Thieves is pretty popular and Perfect Dark Zero was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games. I say "Ok" because then you have like...Viva Pinata. So hit and miss. Everwild looks pretty good though I'm not sure what it is exactly just yet.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Thats one way of looking at it......but going of sony showing off the same games for almost 5 e3s in a row if its a full game it aint coming out anytime soon...or if its a full priced 5 hour long dlc like miles they will probably release it next year to pad out the sparse lineups over the next couple of years
PS also had other good games releasing though while we waited for the other games

Brofist

Looking at those IPs, I hope MS retires 70% of them. Sony no longer makes Killzone, Resistance, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and other PS3 era IPs and thats a good thing. Lets move on.

They also need to make Bethesda way bigger than it currently is. Todd Howard once said that their fallout 5 team was like 100 people. And that was the main team. Their output is way too low for such an important studio. They have 3 big IPs now. That means they need 3 full size teams.

I would have them on a 3 year cycle.
Star Citizen
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
I wish they would help finish Star Citizen tbh

anothertech

How’d that work out for Rare?
Or Scalebound? Or Phantom Dust 2? Or Fable? Or Hellraid? Or Black Tusk project? Or Human Element? Or Stormlands? Or...

Time to start delivering games, not putting them on banners for years just to watch them disappear. So so pissed about Phantom Dust still.

Sorry, Xbone gen completely jaded me to this behavior

GamingKaiju

Yeh it’s good and all but I hope they don’t mess with the Doom team they’re doing great work with the IP it’s in the best place now than it has been in decades.

johnjohn

Pretty crazy, and they're going to have a massive new exclusive franchise this year with Starfield. Xbox gamers and Game Pass subscribers are going to be eating this gen.

Ok I think, Sea of Thieves is pretty popular and Perfect Dark Zero was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games. I say "Ok" because then you have like...Viva Pinata. So hit and miss. Everwild looks pretty good though I'm not sure what it is exactly just yet.
Wait, are you using Viva Pinata as a hit or a miss? I would kill for a new Viva Pinata, but my kids would probably not even give me a chance to play..... :)

Viva Pinata Xbox GIF by Rare Ltd

I wish Sony has deeper pockets, just hope the 'honour' of Japanese developers will allow them to pick up more exclusive IPs even though MS can offer more mula than Mulan.
Just as we now have Disney+ and HBO Max, the video game sector is now competing with their subscription service which require the hottest and sexiest IPs.

For all the xbox and newfound Zenimax hate. There sure is a lot of nail biting and worrying over this deal 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Agreed. Other then the bugs (and fallout 76) bathesda games have generally been well regarded. I don't know anyone that didn't have Skyrim. Following the MS, 'their games have never been good/are getting stale and I never really liked skyrim' comments are everywhere.

It's so predictable.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wait, are you using Viva Pinata as a hit or a miss? I would kill for a new Viva Pinata, but my kids would probably not even give me a chance to play..... :)

I think your kids would leave you to play it while they play their fortnite with their friends.

But hey we can always play together bud! I'd love a Viva Pinata sequel.

Kuranghi

Imagine if MS revived japanese gaming, Sony would be so mad they would do a shit. I want that to happen now not just because it would be awesome in itself, but we get to see what Sony does, which is presumably, a shit.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm so sad I deleted the wrong MS account and lost Viva Pinata on PC, I don't know if it would've worked on Win10 though.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Imagine if MS revived japanese gaming, Sony would be so mad they would do a shit. I want that to happen now not just because it would be awesome in itself, but we get to see what Sony does, which is presumably, a shit.
The only reaction Sony would have is probably

690.jpg

Gaf, on the other hand

IPE4QHm.gif

In reality, it wouldn't happen though. Japan not caring about Sony is not about Sony itself, but because what we call traditional gaming is not something that work into the average Japanese life. They are a lot on the move which is why Nintendo totally dominates over there.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
They got a lot of new studios for sure.

If any of their games are good I'll probably get them on PS5 even though they're first or better on Xbox.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
A 13 year old remake and a $50 dlc. Next we got a $70 indie game coming. R & C is the only new AAA game coming up.

Better then saying “we have the best launch line-up ever”, and then come up with nothing. And in the meantime their biggest franchise is a total shitshow.

Good luck managing all those studios.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

In reality, it wouldn't happen though. Japan not caring about Sony is not about Sony itself, but because what we call traditional gaming is not something that work into the average Japanese life. They are a lot on the move which is why Nintendo totally dominates over there.

I think I understood that in a roundabout way, in that case I wish MS would fund a portable then! Get games made just for it that japan loves, world gaming domination follows.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Whoa whoa whoa...I apologize...I guess Viva Pinata just wasn't my thing. I don't have kids. I hope you can understandpleasedon'tkillme.

Man that kinda response makes me think I missed out on something.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Agreed. Other then the bugs (and fallout 76) bathesda games have generally been well regarded. I don't know anyone that didn't have Skyrim. Following the MS, 'their games have never been good/are getting stale and I never really liked skyrim' comments are everywhere.

It's so predictable.
Where? You're twisting it. All I see is a bunch of people celebrating because these games might become exclusives? Bethesda games were already coming with or without them so what are we celebrating exactly?

Microsoft literally had nothing to do with any of these franchises. Zero input. Nothing. All this prostitution is just weird. We should be grateful? Why? They were already in development.

Kagey K

Banned
Where? You're twisting it. All I see is a bunch of people celebrating because these games might become exclusives? Bethesda games were already coming with or without them so what are we celebrating exactly?

Microsoft literally had nothing to do with any of these franchises. Zero input. Nothing. All this prostitution is just weird. We should be grateful? Why? They were already in development.
That’s bullshit, Todd Howard credits Morrowind, and MS assistance in helping getting it running on Xbox as Bethesda’s saving grace.

There would be no Bethesda today, had MS not stepped in and helped them out back then.

That sounds like a little more than 0 input to me.

Concern

Again projecting your feelings on others.
Calm down there is a chance that MS will release a good game eventually...
martin lawrence GIF

Irony is strong with this one lol. Its ok bud, just go back to the spec thread and talk about your $70 indie games.

You're the triggered fanboy mentioning me. Remember that. Don't cry when you get aired out. Have a nice day. 😉

Last edited:
Irony is strong with this one lol. Its ok bud, just go back to the spec thread and talk about your $70 indie games.

You're the triggered fanboy mentioning me. Remember that. Don't cry when you get aired out. Have a nice day. 😉
Actually currently playing one of those actual GOTY level PS 2020 exclusives, cost 30$ during January sale.
pkZ1MK5.png

It was public love letter not just a mention. :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That’s bullshit, Todd Howard credits Morrowind, and MS assistance in helping getting it running on Xbox as Bethesda’s saving grace.

There would be no Bethesda today, had MS not stepped in and helped them out back then.

That sounds like a little more than 0 input to me.
Morrowind was not the first game in the series, it was already a well established franchise on PC.

They were just helping them as platform holder to make it run on Xbox, on the technical side. The game would have been the same (gameplay, quests and design wise) if it was not on Xbox.

Just admit you want it to be exclusive to use it as ammo against the other side. To point and laugh at them. As I said, ES6 and the next Doom were already coming on Xbox. There is an ulterior motive here and it's obvious.

Papacheeks

Banned

You are literally down playing launch titles that Sony actually had for their console. Regardless of your opinion if it's worth 50$, Miles morales is selling consoles on a monthly basis as seen in UK charts whenever there's console stock. So regardless sony's strat works, and obviously by the looks of software sold by their first party it's what a lot of their player base wants. Sony launched with games that are all in the 80+ range on meta. Minus the shit-stain that is godfall. ASTROBOT, sackboy big adventure, miles morales, and Demons souls all highly rated and selling.

What has xbox put out in the past 6 months? Gears tactics, and the medium. MEDIUM is a decent title to try for free on gamepass but no one is rushing out to buy it, nor is there data to suggest people completing it because it's a slog.

Say what you will, metrics show more people who buy playstation first party seem to complete them, so there for there is a large market of players who buy the said console for said first party titles. Sony's 2021 is even more stacked than 2020. And the fact you are not counting games that literally launch last year is disingenuous. 2020 was a banger of a year for first party. And even though it's not PS5 software, ghost, last of us part 2 continuing to chart while ps5's are being bought.

Microsoft may be playing this different market, but in terms of what they offer for exciting software that takes advantage of a $500 piece of hardware they really fall short. Sony literally can show you multiple reasons with their software of why you just spent $500. Microsoft makes the case for you to keep your xbox one x with gamepass and wait to upgrade once their software is mature.

Seriously just take a break from gaf your literally making yourself look silly. I think everyone here with a brain knows that pricing is a issue, but it does not take away the quality of software Sony is putting out for their userbase which just bought their system.

Something Microsoft can yell about how they are the best "deal" in gaming. Well if you just want a catelog of games, yes. If you want something that is really hype, and shows what the console can do not really outside of a 2 year old game gears 5.

Kagey K

Banned
Morrowind was not the first game in the series, it was already a well established franchise on PC.

They were just helping them as platform holder to make it run on Xbox, on the technical side. The game would have been the same (gameplay, quests and design wise) if it was not on Xbox.

Just admit you want it to be exclusive to use it as ammo against the other side. To point and laugh at them. As I said, ES6 and the next Doom were already coming on Xbox. There is an ulterior motive here and it's obvious.
I don’t come here to play list wars and don’t ignore games because they are or aren’t exclusives, I‘ll leave that noise to you and your ilk.

Last edited:

Concern

You are literally down playing launch titles that Sony actually had for their console. Regardless of your opinion if it's worth 50$, Miles morales is selling consoles on a monthly basis as seen in UK charts whenever there's console stock. So regardless sony's strat works, and obviously by the looks of software sold by their first party it's what a lot of their player base wants. Sony launched with games that are all in the 80+ range on meta. Minus the shit-stain that is godfall. ASTROBOT, sackboy big adventure, miles morales, and Demons souls all highly rated and selling.

What has xbox put out in the past 6 months? Gears tactics, and the medium. MEDIUM is a decent title to try for free on gamepass but no one is rushing out to buy it, nor is there data to suggest people completing it because it's a slog.

Say what you will, metrics show more people who buy playstation first party seem to complete them, so there for there is a large market of players who buy the said console for said first party titles. Sony's 2021 is even more stacked than 2020. And the fact you are not counting games that literally launch last year is disingenuous. 2020 was a banger of a year for first party. And even though it's not PS5 software, ghost, last of us part 2 continuing to chart while ps5's are being bought.

Microsoft may be playing this different market, but in terms of what they offer for exciting software that takes advantage of a $500 piece of hardware they really fall short. Sony literally can show you multiple reasons with their software of why you just spent $500. Microsoft makes the case for you to keep your xbox one x with gamepass and wait to upgrade once their software is mature.

Seriously just take a break from gaf your literally making yourself look silly. I think everyone here with a brain knows that pricing is a issue, but it does not take away the quality of software Sony is putting out for their userbase which just bought their system.

Something Microsoft can yell about how they are the best "deal" in gaming. Well if you just want a catelog of games, yes. If you want something that is really hype, and shows what the console can do not really outside of a 2 year old game gears 5.

You guys sure get offended when the same exact logic is used towards your console of choice.

I have already played every Sony exclusive I wanted. No reason to spend $500 for a remake and a dlc. I've played the whole ps collection. Nothing else for me on there till maybe the end of the year.

Hugare

I have no doubt that they have talent with them.

But they have to prove that they can make great games out of those IPs under the MS brand.

We've seen studio acquisition from MS going terribly wrong in the past.

I just hope that they say to Bethesda "keep doing your thing"

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
You guys sure get offended when the same exact logic is used towards your console of choice.

I have already played every Sony exclusive I wanted. No reason to spend $500 for a remake and a dlc. I've played the whole ps collection. Nothing else for me on there till maybe the end of the year.

And?

I played everything on my PS4PRO, then I got a PS5 and replayed Spiderman remastered and miles, and holy shit. It was like playing a different game. The fast loading, dual sense made me want to keep playing, and because of almost instant loading i was in the game world more and not waiting. The same is said for demon souls.

Miles morales is to me a more focused spiderman game similar to lost legacy, and i prefer it over the main title which I replayed.

You are mostly right, im not playing my PS5 right now. I'm waiting for returnal which looks fun but not $70 fun, for some people they will pay that. For me not so much. But Ratchet? I will be there day one to give them my money for that quality title. And Kena later this year only being $40 is a nice bonus.

EDMIX

Owning them is one thing. Doing something with them is a whole other thing.

Agreed. We can argue EA owns a lot of great IP too, but the issue really was never what they owned but how they treated those IP, teams etc.

I'm more hype for what MS is doing based on them giving their teams more freedom (so they say) , allow them to make some big new AAA IP and I'll be more then hype to be on board. I just don't want this to turn into a thing where MS just has those teams make 1 IP for life and they become "Fable Factory" or something.

Concern

And?

I played everything on my PS4PRO, then I got a PS5 and replayed Spiderman remastered and miles, and holy shit. It was like playing a different game. The fast loading, dual sense made me want to keep playing, and because of almost instant loading i was in the game world more and not waiting. The same is said for demon souls.

Miles morales is to me a more focused spiderman game similar to lost legacy, and i prefer it over the main title which I replayed.

You are mostly right, im not playing my PS5 right now. I'm waiting for returnal which looks fun but not $70 fun, for some people they will pay that. For me not so much. But Ratchet? I will be there day one to give them my money for that quality title. And Kena later this year only being $40 is a nice bonus.

Exactly my point. I have no reason to drop $500 right now. Never cared for R & C. Returnal looks bland and definitely not worth $70.

Top Bottom