• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muppet time - can I use mixed ram sizes in my PC?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a PC with 1x512MB stick of PC3200 DDR in it. There is one slot left.

Can I only stick 512MB in the slot, or can I spend a little extra and put a 1GB stick in there to give me 1.5GB?

demi

Sure.

It's better to put the biggest size in the first slot then work your way down, I believe?

rod

Banned
i think it depends on your motherboard. i couldnt do what you want to, but other people i know have done it.

hooo

boooy
mrklaw said:
I have a PC with 1x512MB stick of PC3200 DDR in it. There is one slot left.

Can I only stick 512MB in the slot, or can I spend a little extra and put a 1GB stick in there to give me 1.5GB?

I suggest that you read your motherboard manual or call up tech support if you have it. If it's DDR, it should work, but ideally both sticks of ram should be of the same size, speed and have the same timings. If those match up (ie you've got two identical sticks of ram), dual channel mode should be ale to be turned on which is a faster form of access.

My suggestion if it's really something you ant to do, buy it from best buy, compusa, fry's or some other B&M that has a good return policy and return it if it doesn't work. If it does work you can always return it too and get it cheaper online.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks.

Although my tech support is shit and can't tell me what my timings are etc. Can I just buy standard PC3200DDR. the chips in my PC are samsung but thats all I can tell from looking at it. I gave up building my own PCs years ago, so have been left behind by the tech (which I'm perfectly happy with)

Is Dual channel mode something I do in the BIOS?

maharg

idspispopd
The only time size matters as far as RAM is concerned is when they're both on the same bank. If they were, you wouldn't be able to get away with having only one dimm.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I only have two slots. Therefore they are different banks?

Any real benefit going for 1GB instead of 512MB extra (1.5 Vs 1 total)? Theres a big jump in prices for 1GB sticks, but I'll do it if it'll be worth it.

Or is the jump from 512 to 1GB total enough?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hooo said:
Totally depends on what you're doing with the machine. Are you running low on memory now?

No, but then I don't really use it fully. The odd game, some Video encoding (both PSP and DVD outputting from adobe premiere elements), some photo editing.

TBH the video stuff would benefit more from a separate HDD. I think I'll stick with 1GB total.

Zaptruder

Banned
1 gig is a good amount for most users.

Only if you're heavily into Video editing/encoding, graphics editing, running a server, etc does it become a large concern.

Top Bottom