• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVG: Nintendo 64 emulation on the Nintendo Switch is not good....

Shut0wen

The reason they don't bring back their old games is seemingly because they aren't very good at it. The 3-point filtering failure is the worst to me.
They as they were decent on wii and wii u fuck knows why they even bothered with this and they probs wint even fix them either

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
v29LpAh.jpg

Nice box too

Shut0wen

Nintendo is one lucky company I tell ya, they have obnoxious blind fans who will spend their money on everything. Their hardware is just subpar
Well yeah most of there games are masterpieces, id say they are the best in the business at the moment, valve could of been if they made games eve tried but they are going the Nintendo route and making ganes specifically for there hardware

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How dare you include Hello Games with those other cunts. To their defence they have repented by patching NMS to what people originally expected it to be.

However, the likes of Tim Gettys hasn't patched out being a cunt yet.

I honestly can't recognize any of them. I just googled "switch+soyface" and that came. Apologies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo has released the Nintendo Switch Expansion Pack N64 games that emulate several titles. While this allows the Switch the play N64 games such as Zelda: Ocarina of time, Super mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Winback and more the common consensus is that this is not a great port as it emulates the classic Nintendo 64 console in a poor way. While this does include North American and European versions of the game, reports say that fog, frame-rates, and input timing are affected all of which is covered in this Performance Review. Is this the Link to the Past we all hoped? Watch and find out. Nintendo Online N64 games may have been something that we've all waited for, but maybe Nintendo should take another pass.

BlackTron

This is a load of fucking horseshit on Nintendo's part. They do the absolute bare minimum that they have to in order to remain competitive.

Great exclusives tho.

In my opinion, the exclusives are the bare minimum to stay competitive. Having N64 games to begin with isn't needed to sway any console wars.

It's still bullshit though.

Kuranghi

Releasing joyful experiences that remind you of playing in the woods or literally just jumping around as a boy/boyette: Nintendo Gaming Chad Level 9000

Emulating their own games properly and with bare minimum effort upgrades to effects: Nintendo the Slack-jawed Yokel

I don't really want to hear excuses for these pathetic emulation/re-release failures anymore, please just so I don't need to keep thinking mental things like, "Finally when the Steam Deck comes out I'll have a handheld console where I can play all the great old Nintendo games":

Yelling Figure It Out GIF by Barstool Sports

I was going to do "3rd party" emulation on my Switch but I can't because of stupid thieves lifting my OG Switch and forcing me to get a nu-Switch with the security updates.

The “virtual console” on Switch is just awful in general imo. I hope they scrap it for the next system and makes something worthwhile.
Wii Virtual Console was by far the best when it was around. I have games for several consoles there (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PC Engine (!!!), and a couple of a Virtual Console originals).

As far as retro offerings, Nintendo is like that one musician that released a great debut album, only to burn out and suck afterwards 😂

fart town usa

Gold Member

Oh man, the smoothing with Link's character model looks terrible.

It stands out to me more cause I'm currently playing OOT on an actual N64, not that the graphics are great on OG hardware but the roughness of it helps with the dated visuals.

Playing in S-Video on a Trinitron. The below photo of mine isn't the greatest example, still looks better on the TV, but I think the vanilla visuals hold up just fine.

2eenuTZ.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

It stands out to me more cause I'm currently playing OOT on an actual N64, not that the graphics are great on OG hardware but the roughness of it helps with the dated visuals.

Playing in S-Video on a Trinitron. The below photo of mine isn't the greatest example, still looks better on the TV, but I think the vanilla visuals hold up just fine.

2eenuTZ.png
that looks like deepfried dogshit

fart town usa

Gold Member
that looks like deepfried dogshit
Negative.

It's looks like a JPEG of compressed footage of an N64 game that released in 1998.

It's definitely not gorgeous but I'll take the rough OG look over smooth emulated graphics any day of the week. I want my old games to look old, I put effort into getting the best cables I can, but I love the smudged look of certain N64 titles.

nkarafo

Report for piracy
And how do you know he doesn't own the game?

2eenuTZ.png
Yeah, the game doesn't look that bad on my TV.

IMO, the best way to capture accurate N64 screens is to use Emulator+Angrylion or Parallel RDP at native resolution and a good CRT shader.

fart town usa

Gold Member
And how do you know he doesn't own the game?

Yeah, the game doesn't look that bad on my TV.

IMO, the best way to capture accurate N64 screens is to use Emulator+Angrylion or Parallel RDP at native resolution and a good CRT shader.
Yea, I have an archaic external capture card that allows for direct s-video input/output. The card itself doesn't capture the full range of colors but it's such a cool piece of hardware for capturing retro footage, even if it isn't 1:1. It's from like 2003 or something, lol. It also bypasses HDCP, current external elgato cards don't work with a PS3 but this thing does. And yes, I have S-Video cables for the PS3, lol.

SeraphJan

Well, you can't expect a mobile device to emulate N64 without problem, which is one of the harder console to emulate, its not a fair comparison.

Top Bottom