• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My $5000 PC Is My House Money

bender

What time is it?
funny-idiot-dogs-4-5ae17c277f91d__605.gif

AzekZero

Neo Member
Prebuilts are a great option to get into PC gaming. I started out with a CyberPowerPC that I disassembled/reassembled several years later.

Was less stressful to practice with old components than with brand new gear.

Normally I'd say these hyper premium pre-builts aren't worth it, but the RTX 4090 is back on the moon.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Man I bought a Corsair twice and I love them for what they are but #1 you paid to much for that I have a top end pc build myself with a 4090 for less than 3500 but get you may not be able to build one so there are costs, but

The worst thing is that Corsair decides to lock the bios from updates so you can’t upgrade a lot of things. I fought with them multiple times but they stated that this was done to prevent people upgrading to newer bios breaking things than asking for support when it’s not covered

Never buying prebuilt again

Kilau

CORSAIR VENGEANCE i8200 Gaming PC Intel Core i9 14900KF 64GB DDR5 6600 MHz Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090​

Step up your game with a CORSAIR VENGEANCE i8200 Series Gaming PC - built with a full range of award-winning CORSAIR components - and powered by an Intel Core processor and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40-Series graphics.
Color
Black
Features
Gaming
Hard Drive Type
Solid State Drive
Processor Brand
Intel CPU
Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GPU

General​

Secondary Storage
2TB NVMe SSD
Power Supply
1000W ATX 80 PLUS Gold
Storage
2TB NVMe SSD
Liquid Cooling
Liquid CPU, Air GPU
Motherboard
Z790

Dis? Low specs?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I’ve been preparing to build a best in class… seems like prebuilt are a huge ripoff from my shopping around. We’ll see… sometimes I can be lazy.

Kuranghi

CORSAIR VENGEANCE i8200 Gaming PC Intel Core i9 14900KF 64GB DDR5 6600 MHz Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090​

Step up your game with a CORSAIR VENGEANCE i8200 Series Gaming PC - built with a full range of award-winning CORSAIR components - and powered by an Intel Core processor and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40-Series graphics.
Color
Black
Features
Gaming
Hard Drive Type
Solid State Drive
Processor Brand
Intel CPU
Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GPU

General​

Secondary Storage
2TB NVMe SSD
Power Supply
1000W ATX 80 PLUS Gold
Storage
2TB NVMe SSD
Liquid Cooling
Liquid CPU, Air GPU
Motherboard
Z790

Holy shit this thing has Gaming AND Graphics Processor?! Both cutting edge technologies in one machine... surely its worth $5000?

nkarafo

No gaming PC is worth 5.000$ unless it's something made for professionals. I don't know the specs and i don't care that much either. I bet you can build a gaming PC with less than 50% of that money and more than 90% of the performance.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No gaming PC is worth 5.000$ unless it's something made for professionals. I don't know the specs and i don't care that much either. I bet you can build a gaming PC with less than 50% of that money and more than 90% of the performance.
Some of us have been there and done that and don’t want the hassle anymore.

OP I have the same build in the 7900x 4090 PC and love it, it’s super quiet even under heavy load, grats on your purchase

lachesis

Was thinking about getting Alienware myself. Price doesn’t seem too bad, but proprietary psu and motherboard made me stop. It’s easy path to go to get a prebuilt one… so I see it would work out for some people. Especially if you don’t really have all the time to upgrade hardware yourself.

nkarafo

Fair.

But keep in mind you are paying a huge percentage of that money just for that convenience. Not a small amount like 5% or 10%. In this case i would say more than 30% of that money.

That doesn't necessarily mean the parts you got worth less (which they probably do either way) but more like you can get similar parts in quality/performance for a fraction of the price. I bet you would save a ton of that money for different case/PSU/Cooling solutions for zero performance loss, as an example. If you had someone you could trust, they would build a nice custom PC for a small fee, instead of paying up to 2.000$ more than it's worth. But that's a big if i suppose. I understand the hustle.

OP I have the same build in the 7900x 4090 PC and love it, it’s super quiet even under heavy load, grats on your purchase
You can still order the parts and ask the shop to assemble it all for a small fee. It's literally flushing money down the toilet buying a prebuilt.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Was thinking about getting Alienware myself. Price doesn’t seem too bad, but proprietary psu and motherboard made me stop. It’s easy path to go to get a prebuilt one… so I see it would work out for some people. Especially if you don’t really have all the time to upgrade hardware yourself.
Don't go with Alienware. At least, not yet. Their build quality has suffered greatly over the years and Gamers Nexus tears them a new asshole, two different times, that I can remember.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Man, this thread has not gone the way OP had hoped.

I see what he means about being unseen, just not for the reason he meant

Last edited:
Unless OP doesn't live in America, he overpaid by like 50%.

Just a random build I put together:

The extra cost goes into labor to build the PC plus packaging and shipping the completed machine.

You select and purchase the components yourself, you assemble it, that's all your labor. That's why it's cheaper to build it yourself. You are trading your own time and effort for the additional cost of the pre-built PC.

In general, I value my labor quite highly, but I like building my own PC's because I can choose exactly what components I want: the case, the power supply, the motherboard, the GPU brand, etc. The actual building process for a PC these days is quite simple, I like to call it adult Legos. But you still need to invest that time and time is money.

A lot of PC gamers value that ability to choose what you want and enjoy the process of building the PC themselves. If that isn't something you care about, a pre-built PC is definitely a lot easier to dive right into PC gaming.

lachesis

Don't go with Alienware. At least, not yet. Their build quality has suffered greatly over the years and Gamers Nexus tears them a new asshole, two different times, that I can remember.
I saw that videos too. I just get some good deals with thru employer discount, and thought about getting one for “one off” type of purchase. Not anymore.

Now I am just going to build one up myself with 3k budget and reusing my old components. (850w PSU, old noctua cooler, some SATA SSDs).

Thinking about going with 7950x3d, x670e board, 64 to 128 RAM, and hopefully a discounted 4080 or 4070 ti super + PCIE 5.0 NVME… maybe 2TB to start.

Mine is more of a workstation, so I don’t upgrade often. Heck my current build is 3930k + GTX970 + 32GB RAM from 11yr ago LOL - if my motherboard supported Windows 11, would probably kept it longer. I plan to upgrade the new one in a few years with final AM5 chipset and GPU upgrade and perhaps add another bigger NVME 5.0 ssd in 2-3 years, and call it a day for another few years down the road…

kiphalfton

The extra cost goes into labor to build the PC plus packaging and shipping the completed machine.

You select and purchase the components yourself, you assemble it, that's all your labor. That's why it's cheaper to build it yourself. You are trading your own time and effort for the additional cost of the pre-built PC.

In general, I value my labor quite highly, but I like building my own PC's because I can choose exactly what components I want: the case, the power supply, the motherboard, the GPU brand, etc. The actual building process for a PC these days is quite simple, I like to call it adult Legos. But you still need to invest that time and time is money.

A lot of PC gamers value that ability to choose what you want and enjoy the process of building the PC themselves. If that isn't something you care about, a pre-built PC is definitely a lot easier to dive right into PC gaming.

I can respect convenience...

But $1500+ for labor/etc. is unreasonable FOR building a "basic" computer no matter how you cut it.

I'd expect a custom case, custom water loop, custom cables, immaculate cable management, etc. for that amount. However, this doesn't have any of that.

Last edited:

Kabelly

Bought a 3080 so I could play games like Vanquish and Pyschonaughts. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

( I really bought it for Elden Ring)

Fredrik

Yeah I see no difference from how some hire a carpenter to build on their house rather than doing the work themselves.

Some don’t have the interest, time, experience to do everything by themselves.

I built my last PC by myself, did all the required research to choose the right parts etc. It’s a nice PC.
But the next one I’ll probably let someone else build.

You don’t have to choose big brand prebuilds you find at a store, if you go to a custom PC shop they can choose the parts they know from experience works well together and build it and do stress tests for a fairly reasonable sum of money.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seems like a great pc.
top of the line specs too.
Not a case I would go with but it's fine.

Top Bottom